Why bring Sim up if he's not gonna play?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
... Earlier, I quickly lost faith with Hassan Whitesides. He dropped out of sight for a couple of seasons and roars back as the starting Miami center. Don’t want to make the same mistake here without a good look at Sim.
False equivalency; Whiteside didn't flame out here because we thought he couldn't play. If Bhullar doesn't work out (and the statistical likelihood is that he won't), it will be for reasons not even remotely related to why Whiteside didn't work out.

Many teams bring up D league players as the season winds down and Sim was brought up for a 10 look at. So what’s the problem? The Kings are not going to the payoffs so if Sim gets in and is prone to turn the ball over, can’t score or can’t keep up with the NBA pace then it is a good time to find out. At 7’6 he reminds me of 7’5 Shawn Bradley of the Mavs year ago. He was skinny as a rail but had the height advantage to score easy put backs, grab rebounds and block some shots. Heck, maybe we’ll see Sim plug up that big hole we have letting small guards continuously drive in for easy lay ups. Maybe we have a bench big who can really help. If not, it’s only for 7 more games. Earlier, I quickly lost faith with Hassan Whitesides. He dropped out of sight for a couple of seasons and roars back as the starting Miami center. Don’t want to make the same mistake here without a good look at Sim.
You put Sim out there in a very competitive professional game and for sure the big guy (on his current condition right now) will look like very inadequate and not worthy playing in the NBA. He might even get severely embarrassed and get traumatized if he experienced a very dismal showing on his first NBA game.

I am glad Karl did not put him in a real NBA game yet. Sim needs time to aclimate himself to his "new" team. It would be unfair to just play him and just hope he will know the plays right there and then. This is not High School basketball where you can just come in and play in a game and show what you've got. We don't even know if Sim knows an iota of Karl's system at this point. Let him play with the Kings' players during practice games first and let him know Karl's sets of plays first, so he has a better chance of avoiding embarrassment and let him get more ready for his first NBA game. That will increase his chances of looking good when he finally play his first NBA game.

Last edited:
False equivalency; Whiteside didn't flame out here because we thought he couldn't play. If Bhullar doesn't work out (and the statistical likelihood is that he won't), it will be for reasons not even remotely related to why Whiteside didn't work out.
Hassan was sent to the D league to improve his game. Seem to recall he refused to follow the coach’s instructions and was cut and wound up playing for some team on the planet. Don’t think the Kings FO would have just him walk away if they saw NBA talent.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, I do. And Whiteside's history shows that we weren't unique in that regard; you kind of swept it under the rug, with your "dropped out of sight" comment, but let's not pretend that he just took a few years off from basketball. His talent for blocking shots seems to be matched only by his talent for wearing out his welcome.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Hassan was sent to the D league to improve his game. Seem to recall he refused to follow the coach’s instructions and was cut and wound up playing for some team on the planet. Don’t think the Kings FO would have just him walk away if they saw NBA talent.
Everyone saw NBA talent, unfortunately they also saw a crazy person who has a documented mental disorder and a questionable work ethic/maturity level.