who would you choose to start a nba franchise out of these two?

Out of these two, who would you choose to start a franchise around?

• Total voters
dwight howard or lebron james?

both are incredible talents but who would you pick to start a franchise with? i chose dwight howard because talented 4, 3, 2 and 1s are easier to find than big men who can anchor the defense.

Lebron, and it's not even close. Dwight Howard is a great defensive player, and clearly, you want a great defensive center in the playoffs, but his offense isn't nearly what James' is. Howard has played with some pretty good players to achieve with his post season success, while James has been a bit of a lone gunman. Seriously, who's the second best player on that Cavs team last year? Mo Williams? Dwight had Hedo, Nelson, and Lewis.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Now traditionally you take the great big over the great "little". But as others have mentioned Howard has offensive limitations that keep him from truly being the do it all great big at the level of a Olajuwon/Ewing/Robinson type. And LeBron is probably one of the Top 10 talents to ever play the game. So...LeBron.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
What makes Lebron particularly unique is that he almost qualifies as both 'big guy' and 'elite perimeter player'. That's what makes him so unstoppable. I think Kobe/Howard might be a more difficult choice even if we could reset the clock a few years on Kobe's career because that whole big man dynamic becomes more of a factor there. And we're starting to see Howard develop as more of a go-to scorer.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Now traditionally you take the great big over the great "little". But as others have mentioned Howard has offensive limitations that keep him from truly being the do it all great big at the level of a Olajuwon/Ewing/Robinson type. And LeBron is probably one of the Top 10 talents to ever play the game. So...LeBron.

This is exactly why I went with LeBron. Dwight is very good at what he does, but LeBron is just.......well, GREAT!!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Besides everything already mentioned, its also important to consider that LeBron is a superstar outside of the NBA and if I'm starting a franchise there may be some growing pains and LeBron would insure a fan base, outside the local market media exposure, etc.

Exactly. If Dwight had even a glimpse of a post game I would take him but right now he is more of a number 2 guy.

Sorry but this is such a horrible question. I mean Howard doesn't just have limitations on offense, he's essentially horrible on that end. He always gets the ball in the post and brings it down. Everytime. I think I counted a hundred incidents in the finals alone where the lakers stripped the ball from him. The great centers catch it high and keep it high if they are close to the basket and score with ease. He can't do that to save his life. Call me crazy but I think Dwight is the most overrated so called superstar out there.

Lebron has the chance to be even better that Jordan. It's all up to him or if he can get some decent talent around him ;). So I just don't see where you can come up with a question like this. Honestly...