Who else is sick of everything revolving around LeBron!?..

IDK but i'm with SVG on this. why does it take a whole hour to say which team you choose? this is truly a mockery. i was always a fan of LBJ and to an extent...even now. i just think he used poor judgement in allowing it to become such a circus event. i just hope that this is a complete fail. not because i wish anything bad on LBJ, but because i don't want to see this become the norm in NBA free agency to come. i don't know about you, but how many 1 hour specials are you really willing to watch just to see who's going to what team? buuuuuuut............it would be really nice to see Kobe and company lose to Lebron and company. Kobe does not deserve to win ring #6.....that's all i'm saying.

As annoying on principle as the Knicks getting exactly what they wanted would be, this contrived supergroup would be worse. If they get a title, I hope Lebron is remembered as the guy who only won once he latched onto Wade's coattails.
i dont see it as kevin garnett riding paul pierce's coat tails, or pau riding kobe's. when's the last time a team won a ring with 1 star? if they get a title, i'll remember him as someone smart enough to join and even bigger 3 than boston's.

At least those other teams made trades for the additional stars. The whole "let's pick a city to meet up" thing is lame. Wanting a good supporting cast is one thing, but choosing to go where two other superstars went first comes off weak and insecure when you're supposed to be the #1 guy in the league.

As annoying on principle as the Knicks getting exactly what they wanted would be, this contrived supergroup would be worse. If they get a title, I hope Lebron is remembered as the guy who only won once he latched onto Wade's coattails.
I actually might root for the Lakers if it were a Lakers-Heat finals...

I know, its heresy... I hate the Lakers, but I also hate the idea of 3 super stars teaming up and dominating the league after 0 years of learning to play together as a team.

It's funny how even late into the day, there are various reporters with dead certain inside sources that variously say NY, Miami and Chicago. It will be hilarious if he just stays with the Cavs, or better yet goes to a never mentioned city.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
i dont see it as kevin garnett riding paul pierce's coat tails, or pau riding kobe's. when's the last time a team won a ring with 1 star? if they get a title, i'll remember him as someone smart enough to join and even bigger 3 than boston's.

Kevin Garnett wasn't riding Paul Pierce's coattails, because Pierce had never won. And of course Pau Gasol was riding Kobe's coattails; Gasol was the Spanish Shareef Abdur-Rahim before he got to LA.

Kevin Garnett wasn't riding Paul Pierce's coattails, because Pierce had never won. And of course Pau Gasol was riding Kobe's coattails; Gasol was the Spanish Shareef Abdur-Rahim before he got to LA.
i mentioned pierce because the celtic's were considered "his team" just as the heat are d-wade's. but my point was garnett couldnt do it by himself in minny and pierce couldnt do it in boston. lakers were barely a playoff team with just kobe after shaq left and like u said, gasol was the spanish SAR. but once they teamed up, they won rings. thats exactly why i dont blame lebron if he goes to the heat. most of the teams that were champions/contenders were stacked with at least 2 all star calibur players. even in the past michael had scottie and magic had kareem. i see them as teaming up not riding coattails

At least those other teams made trades for the additional stars. The whole "let's pick a city to meet up" thing is lame. Wanting a good supporting cast is one thing, but choosing to go where two other superstars went first comes off weak and insecure when you're supposed to be the #1 guy in the league.
if i remember correctly garnett had a trade clause or refused to be traded to certain teams. i believe earlier he refused to go to boston. so in a way he chose his team. plus i dont see a big difference in trading for a player vs trading for cap room to sign a player. and lakers didnt "trade" for gasol, he was handed to them on a silver platter for 4 pennies and a button

I'm not lumping anyone in, to be honest. It was sort of a fly-by post, and that's why I didn't go any deeper. Like I said, I usually don't use that word, but it sort of capsulated what I wanted to say.

As for this ESPN special, I don't know. I'm not trying to play Devil's advocate, but from what we know about ESPN, they trump things up every chance they get. It could have very well been LeBron saying "hey I want to make my decision on the air, and I want to go exclusive to ESPN," and then the execs got it in their head that they'd be able to squeeze a whole hour out of it and sell a bunch of commercials. They don't ever get the Super Bowl, this is the biggest bonanza they could get their hands on. We really don't know how this came about. And even if it was just LeBron saying "give me an hour", well, so what? Supply and demand.

I get the whole "who does he think he is" angle. Trust me, he's milking this like never before. I get it. But there seems to be this undercurrent out there, that just because he's going to be a free agent that he thinks he rules the world. One of the local radio guys said last week that he's arrogant because he said he wanted to make a decision hopefully by Monday, so he's holding the NBA hostage over 4th of July weekend. Helloooo? Free agency is the first week of July every single year. No NBA GM is taking vacation or spending time with their family, and if they are, I don't want them running my team. This is the busiest time of the year for NBA execs, no matter whether LeBron is on the market or not. It just seems like people are trying to find ways to prove that he's a horrible person because of this free agency thing. The ESPN thing is over the top and egotistical, but it's not the craziest thing we've ever seen. Brett Favre does this will he/won't he thing every year for the last four years. I guess I'm just used to it.
I feel the same way except for the one hour ESPN thingy. If there's money to be made, you take it.

About the ESPN thing...
“Due to the unprecedented attention and interest surrounding LeBron’s decision, we have decided to make this announcement on national television. By doing so we have generated funds that will be given to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. LeBron has a longstanding commitment to giving back to the community, and has worked with the Boys and Girls Clubs in cities across the country. For additional information and any other announcements concerning “The Decision,” check with www.LebronJames.com.”

Last edited:
I don't know... To be completely honest, I'm kinda glad it's all about LeBron cause I'd hate to see them talking about the Lakers champion or anything about K-O-B-E....
Oh wow, you have completely changed my mind with this! LMAO! This whole LeBron story has totally stolen the limelight from the Lakers 2pete victory. :) I now welcome the LeBron madness.

I actually might root for the Lakers if it were a Lakers-Heat finals...

I know, its heresy... I hate the Lakers, but I also hate the idea of 3 super stars teaming up and dominating the league after 0 years of learning to play together as a team.
Forget the Lakers. I don't want any super teams out there that can stand in the Kings way of winning a championship. The LeBron and Heat legacy would be all about what money can buy.

Forget the Lakers. I don't want any super teams out there that can stand in the Kings way of winning a championship. The LeBron and Heat legacy would be all about what money can buy.
the thing is that the kings are still a few years away from being contenders. when we were one of the worse teams in the nba, all we had was the draft and regular season. i was happy when i saw something like the big 3 put together that could actually beat the lakers. my thought was if the kings are out of it, my playoffs consisted of cheering for whoever could beat the lakers. and if lebron/dwade/bosh can do it for the next few years while the kings rebuild, im all for it.

Ugh...

http://realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/943/20100708/grading_the_deal_lebron_*picks*_the_heat/

They're all saying that there will be the biggest three ever in Miami. They will have 5 players under contract, and that alone will have them approaching the cap. As far as PG's, well... J-Will (the only reasonable fit I can think of) wants more than the minimum and these three planet sized egos have to share the ball, what seasoned vet runs the show?

Also: who's the alpha dog in that situation between Wade and James? I don't think James would like to be #2, but I easily see him slipping to Wade's second fiddle.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
and if lebron/dwade/bosh can do it for the next few years while the kings rebuild, im all for it.
Normally I'd agree but the precedent it could set could lead to us losing any future stars we devlop.

On the other hand if super team failed spectacularly it would bode well for smaller market teams' chances of retaining their top talent.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Also: who's the alpha dog in that situation between Wade and James? I don't think James would like to be #2, but I easily see him slipping to Wade's second fiddle.
On the court it could vary night to night but I believe the public perception will always be that Wade engineered the deal to bring the two biggest free agents to his town and that could be the biggest barrier to this actually happening.

I completely believe that Wade did engineer the whole thing. All the videos and articles I've seen makes it look like Bosh is following Wade around through the free agency process because Wade is the "cool kid", like Van Gundy said Bosh was like Wade's little lapdog. That along with the "Chicago has no loyalty" statements really lead me to believe that Wade has been trashing the Bulls organization (probably the best fit for Bosh) for months. With Bosh and Wade there, Lebron probably felt like going to Miami was the only way to get guaranteed championships.

Apparently Mike Miller has been offered 30 mil for 5 years by the Heat and has been told by sources that Lebron is coming as well to Miami.

This is hilarious if this goes down it'll be must see tv to watch all these egos gel, I doubt these guys can play together when it's said and done.

So what players get into the mix?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/183/is-9-p-m-edt-the-new-greenwich-mean-time

First the math: Beasley, Anthony, Jones and Chalmers take up a combined $8.4 million of cap room, but only three roster spots (Jones counts against the cap but not on the roster).

Wade, James and Bosh would take up three more roster spots, so the Heat would have to carry six phantoms, whose salary cap holds would add up to nearly $2.9 million. That accounts for $11.3 million in committed salary, leaving the Heat with $46.8 million in room beneath the new salary cap figure of $58,044,000.

If you divide $46.8 million by three (assuming Wade, Bosh and James would all take equal salaries), it comes out to $15.56 million apiece -- $1 million less than the max salary that all three superstars are eligible to receive. Since Florida does not have state income tax, the $15.56 million that James would be taking from Miami would be roughly equivalent in post-tax dollars to the $16.56 million the Knicks (or the Nets, Bulls, Cavs and Clippers) could pay him under a max contract.

Miami would then have to fill out its roster, going over the salary cap with seven players on minimum salaries to reach the NBA's minimum roster size of 13. Miami selected three players in the second round of last month's draft: Texas center Dexter Pittman, Mississippi State PF Jarvis Varnado and West Virginia small forward DaSean Butler. The Heat also hold the rights to 2009 2nd round pick Patrick Beverly, who spent last season with Olympiacos of Greece and is on the Heat's summer league roster. If they re-signed Jones (after signing Wade/James/Bosh) at the veteran minimum salary for a player with seven years of experience ($1.146 million), Jones would make up the money he forfeited in his buyout, and the Heat would have a shooter.

(Back to me)
So what kind of Roster

C Joel Anthony, Dexter Pittman
PF Bosh, Beasley,Jarvis Varnado
SF LeBron, James Jones,Desean Butler
SG Wade
pg Mario chalmers,Patrick Beverly

So there is 11 players plus 2 more Vets at the min?

So you rotate Bosh, Beasley,Anthony
Lebron,Wade,Jones
Vet PG who wants a ring, Chalmers

Plus 4 rookies at 4 positions?

Wow just Wow!!!

Ok throw in a MLE PG who wants a ring and Lakers are dooooomed!! Woot Woot
Sad part is I still don't think these guys beat LA, Bosh is no better than Pau and if Bynum is healthy nobody can guard him on that squad. It pretty much comes down to Wade/Bron vs Kobe, it'll be interesting to say the least.

I thought you only got that if you were under the cap?

Surely they can't sign 3 max deals and then add an MLE?
No, you don't need the MLE if you're under the cap. I don't know if you still get the MLE if you put yourself over the cap in that same free agency period, though. That might change things.

Sad part is I still don't think these guys beat LA, Bosh is no better than Pau and if Bynum is healthy nobody can guard him on that squad. It pretty much comes down to Wade/Bron vs Kobe, it'll be interesting to say the least.
Bosh/Pau is a wash. Bynum is overrated, and has yet to be healthy in June. He gives them 15 good games a year. No need to worry about Bynum. Wade+Lebron > Kobe. They'd need Artest and Odom to play good defense and score consistently. The Lakers would have the coaching edge and the chemistry edge, but I'd give the Heat the edge on talent.