Who do you think will be the next kings coach?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I do not see this happening until after the season. So who knows who will be available.

If it happens in season the frightening thing is that there are very few people available...except for the semi-retired Whiz still lurking about. That scenario goes like this: Maloofs cannot fire Muss because that's admitting a mistake. UNLESS they fire Muss and then turn to Whiz, who they wanted to hire anyway, and blame Muss on Geoff, who tried to hold them back from Whiz and urged them to take another look at the other guys. So then they get to can Muss and hire Whiz without losing face (in their peanut brains), and we accelerate our return to 1989.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
But would the Whiz recognize what needs to be done with this team better than Muss? I say yes. Call me crazy, but it just might work. Hell, at least you'll get a coach who knows what it takes to win, or at least would be willing to shake up the attitudes of the players.

Sacking Muss would be a mercy killing - he is over his head. It has got to suck to be Eric Musselman, watching the fans stream out of Arco half way through the 4th, hearing the boos...

What I would really like to see is Geoff sitting in that chair! Let him drink this potion he's concocted... it couldn't hurt and would be a fair punishment for getting Kenny Thomas.

I'd be happy for a mid-season switch to Whisenant too.

Musselman can't turn this around and can't live it down. Needs to go.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
But would the Whiz recognize what needs to be done with this team better than Muss? I say yes. Call me crazy, but it just might work. Hell, at least you'll get a coach who knows what it takes to win, or at least would be willing to shake up the attitudes of the players.

Whiz cannot coach in the NBA.

Reason being: he has to coach NBA players.

He would have absolutely zero credibility amongst them. He is an AAU coach. A WNBA coach. And the first time he tells his team full of guys who have played in the best basktball league in the world for a decade that "ok, this is waht it takes to win in the NBA" they are going to roll their eyes and tune him out. The first time he pulls a Mike or Ron for taking a dumb shot, Reef for not rebounding, Kevin for not defending, whatever, that player is going to shoot him an icy glare at best, make a disparaging comment at worse (actually there is worse, but anyway...), and in any case think "who the hell is this nobody to be pulling me". Along the way other teams and friends will chuckle at them, and collectively they are going to want to abandon ship ratehr than be part of a losing franchise that is becoming a laughing stock.

The one and only chance that Whiz would have is that by coming in midseason to replace an unpopular coach the players might give him the 10 game game burst that new coaches sometimes get. And maybe that could be built off of. Maybe. But not likely, and at the first sign of adversity all fingers would be pointed straight at the neophyte outsider. Whiz may be a good coach, but he's not an NBA coach. He lacks all standing and respect needed to control those egos. He would need an extended good run to have any chance to wash that neophyte outsiderness off of him. And he is both too old for that, and if you have a team good enough to make a good run under a neophyte outsider, then they are wasted doing so and you should be hiring somebody who is not learning on the job.

Better to blunder on through to the offseason and make any big decisions at that time when you see who is on the market and can conduct a full fledged search if need be. Or even keep Muss if we're in full rebuild mode and a young sacrificail coach seems called for. Also likely better to just blow this up and give Muss a bunch of young guys who will be more likely to listen to him.

I say that the keep Musselman for the term of his contract which I think is 2 years. Then they'll assess from there. Again, having mostly medicore players thrown together isn't his fault.

It his fault for not playing Justin Williams yet.

I wouldn't expect Muss to get the boot until mid-next season to summer 2008. He's not completely at fault for the Kings performance right now...don't forget that our roster is mediocre and the players don't mix well.

To really understand who's going to replace Muss, we need to know what coaches are going to be available during 2008. Available coaches would be reaching an end of a contract. Also, we can speculate who might be available, ie who might get the boot due to poor performance results, or what assistant coaches are really getting great results now and in the future.

My hunch though is that Kings management and the Maloofs are going to want a proven, likely marquee coach. Might be just a hunch, though.

If anybody has the time/energy to research the likely coaching market, that'd be great information for us...

It is kind of funny. On 1-09 a 'fire mussleman watch' thread was closed. Here we are just 4 days later and now we have mods jumping into the conversation of which is essentially the same tread. I am not complaining. It shows how losing can get very old, very fast.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Muss isn't going anywhere until his contract is over or at least the middle of next season if things get really out of control. But quite frankly I think he's a good coach for the situation we're in right now.

I like what VF said in another thread, he's our "rebound" coach. Expanding on that. We had Adelman, it was great but after so long it was time to move on. But we're a little damaged right now so we're not ready for a long term coach yet. So we have a meaningless fling with the Muss guy and hopefully the next great coach comes along once we've regrouped. With that in mind I'd actually like more experimentation out of him. Play all the kids. Run offenses for the sole purpose of highlighting one or two players for a trade. Let's just deal with the reality of where we are right now and make the best of it.

This isn't exactly Kings related and I'm not suggesting this is the direction we should go in, but I thought it was an interesting read from YahooSports.

The writer (Adrian Wojnarowski) has written some good stuff the past few months.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvFkEs2dzzj2MVa4bGVT39u8vLYF?slug=aw-beilein011207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Until John Beilein had watched the success the Sacramento Kings and New Jersey Nets had with the Princeton offense, college basketball's best offensive mind confesses that he considered the possibility that his own system could work in the NBA. So, here was West Virginia's coach on his cell phone Thursday night, indulging a caller's premise that the pros ought to be dying to recruit him out of the Big East.

Maybe it would work, the coach was saying, but he was sure of this: Our conversation was destined to curse his Mountaineers with 10 straight losses.

Still, Beilein wasn't campaigning for an NBA offer, just answering a question.

"Well, the better the athlete, the higher the basketball IQ, the easier it would be to run our stuff," Beilein said. "The better the players, the better the system works."
Before NBA executives consider the next generation of candidates in college – grow intoxicated by the pedigree of Florida's Billy Donovan, or the polish of Georgia Tech's Paul Hewitt – they should consider the substance of the ultimate self-made coach: John Beilein. Every step of his arduous professional climb, his system has responded with spectacular success. And across the nation these days, there isn't a coach whose style has created more intrigue among his peers than that of Beilein's.

I'd rank 'em:

1.) Stan van Gundy
2.) Corliss Williamson (assisted by a vet)
3.) P.J. Carlesimo
4.) Rudy T
5.) Marc Iavaroni

Laugh it up with the Corliss idea, but I think it could work. Can put on the dog and pony show with the Maloof's, and already popular in the clubhouse. A born winner, has been to the mountain, and played every role imaginable in this league. Pair him with someone like a Del Harris-type on the sidelines, someone not interested in the top job for various reasons, and we could be on the money. I just like the thought of it.

But I still maintain, winning or not, EMuss isn't going anywhere for a long time. he could go 18-30 over the next 48, the Maloof's wont fire him because they don't want to look like idiots. I feel like they'd blow the team up and go with youth before that day comes....

Is anyone else a little concerned about the number of assistant coaches this team has? Like too many voices in the lockerroom? Just an opinion...

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
The first time he pulls a Mike or Ron for taking a dumb shot, Reef for not rebounding, Kevin for not defending, whatever, that player is going to shoot him an icy glare at best, make a disparaging comment at worse (actually there is worse, but anyway...), and in any case think "who the hell is this nobody to be pulling me".
...isn't that pretty much what's going on now?

Bricklayer said:
The one and only chance that Whiz would have is that by coming in midseason to replace an unpopular coach the players might give him the 10 game game burst that new coaches sometimes get. And maybe that could be built off of. Maybe. But not likely, and at the first sign of adversity all fingers would be pointed straight at the neophyte outsider. Whiz may be a good coach, but he's not an NBA coach. He lacks all standing and respect needed to control those egos.
..This is pretty much what we're looking at now. :D I think he can earn that respect with wins & a good game plan. Right now Muss has NO game plan. If you think he can't coach simply because he hasn't coached in the NBA, I have to disagree with you. Of course, we'll never find out, so it's pure sausage at this point.

i
This isn't exactly Kings related and I'm not suggesting this is the direction we should go in, but I thought it was an interesting read from YahooSports.

The writer (Adrian Wojnarowski) has written some good stuff the past few months.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...LYF?slug=aw-beilein011207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Beilen's a badass but he runs a princeton style offense with some modificiations. Instead of backdoor cuts (although he'll run them every now and then), he focuses on continuous cuts to get players open for 3 point shots. It's a very European style of the Princeton offense, but it works pretty well considering he has never had a top-notch recruit and WVU consistently makes the NCAA tournament.

Considering that the makeup of this team is based around Adelman's offense, the transition would be easy but I think people have gotten fed up with the Princeton offense.

Watch a WVU bball game if you have a chance, you'll never see a team with more bball IQ. They just execute fundamentals to perfection.

I'd rank 'em:

1.) Stan van Gundy
2.) Corliss Williamson (assisted by a vet)
3.) P.J. Carlesimo
4.) Rudy T
5.) Marc Iavaroni

Laugh it up with the Corliss idea, but I think it could work. Can put on the dog and pony show with the Maloof's, and already popular in the clubhouse. A born winner, has been to the mountain, and played every role imaginable in this league. Pair him with someone like a Del Harris-type on the sidelines, someone not interested in the top job for various reasons, and we could be on the money. I just like the thought of it.

But I still maintain, winning or not, EMuss isn't going anywhere for a long time. he could go 18-30 over the next 48, the Maloof's wont fire him because they don't want to look like idiots. I feel like they'd blow the team up and go with youth before that day comes....

Is anyone else a little concerned about the number of assistant coaches this team has? Like too many voices in the lockerroom? Just an opinion...
I was thinking Corliss too, or Vlade, with Coachie and some of Rick's assistants on board to grease the skids.

But can they coach? Being a good locker room presence and heads up player doesn't necessarily make them good coaches. Just like being a HOF'er doesn't make Isiah Thomas a good GM. (Or head coach for that matter...)
I agree that they are unproven as coaches, so were Riley and Jackson. I see them as winners who may be able to share a vision.

You can teach experienced winners from the NBA Player ranks to coach, but you can't teach sharp corporate types to be experienced winners from the NBA Player ranks...hence, credibility gap as leaders.

As far as Isiah, maybe he just isn't very smart?

johnny shawntaeus, aka tyrant. he will make a great coach. very impressive resume this guy

high school district 9-5A 1st team
signed midwestern state university
NCAA division II defensive player of the year
NCAA division II sunbelt conference player of the year