Where do you want Pelicans to land?

Which spot (from the bottom) would you like Pelicans to end up before the lottery?

• 1-2

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 3-4

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • 5-6

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • 7-8

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • 9-10

• 11-14

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Out of the lottery

• Total voters
We will have fun this season with the Pelicans pick.
Lower they are, more chances there are for us to lose the pick, but we will get a better pick if we keep it.
Where do you wish Pelicans to end at the end of the season but before the lottery?
Bottom 3 slots are reserved for Nets, Lakers and Suns.

Probabilities of moving to the top 3 spots depending on position:

4th - 37.8%
5th - 29.1%
6th - 21.5%
7th - 15%
8th - 9.9%
9th - 6.1%
10th - 3.6%
11th - 3.3%
12th - 2.5%
13th - 2.2%
14th - 1.8%
Playoff - 0%

I'm with Jimbob on his. Pels end up at 7-8 and the Kings go top 3 along with the 6ers. Philly picks a non-PG and the Kings get the best PG in the draft. There is such a wealth of PG's in this draft I could see Vlade picking two PG's:eek: If one has the size to defend 2 guards why not?

Yep, I want the good odds of keeping the pick and getting a good player at 7-8 for the Pels pick. For our pick I want both the Kings and Sixers to beat the odds and go top 2. Gives us a great pick and pushes the Lakers out of the lottery. Perfect win win win scenario.
Lakes arnt falling out of the top 3 and we all know this

8th for the Pelicans would be perfect. High enough to land a good player. Not too high to really risk them getting into the top 3.

No way the Kings and Sixers both move up into the top 3. 6th is probably where we will land barring anything crazy in the lottery.

It doesn't really matter in the end since it's rigged anyway. Doing the lottery behind closed doors is such a joke.

8th for the Pelicans would be perfect. High enough to land a good player. Not too high to really risk them getting into the top 3.

No way the Kings and Sixers both move up into the top 3. 6th is probably where we will land barring anything crazy in the lottery.

It doesn't really matter in the end since it's rigged anyway. Doing the lottery behind closed doors is such a joke.
Do you really think it's rigged? Please explain why you feel that way.

Do you really think it's rigged? Please explain why you feel that way.
There's nothing transparent about it for no good reason. Also there's the story book draft of 2008 where the Bulls had a 1.7% chance of landing their home grown Derrick Rose. Then there's Cleveland getting the #1 pick 3 out of 4 years after LeBron James leaves which I'm still SMH at. The whole process is fishy to say the least.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
There's nothing transparent about it for no good reason. Also there's the story book draft of 2008 where the Bulls had a 1.7% chance of landing their home grown Derrick Rose. Then there's Cleveland getting the #1 pick 3 out of 4 years after LeBron James leaves which I'm still SMH at. The whole process is fishy to say the least.
Well, you know, outside of the fact that every team sends a representative into the room where the lotto happens. That does make it kind of hard to rig.

The reason it's done in private is that it makes for very bad television:

OK, Jim, the Philadelphia 76ers have secured the top pick in the draft. Now it's time to draw for the second pick in the draft. And the machine has been activated...a ball is being pulled out...and...it...is...13!

Well, Bill, I'd like to tell you what that means, but that's not very helpful information.

No worries, because the second ball is coming out now and it is number...9!

Again, with the way the combos are distributed among teams, 9 and 13 could be basically anybody. I mean looking at the board...there's 1000 combinations on there...I think that leaves Charlotte out but I'm not quite-

I'm sorry, Jim, but the third ball is just now being drawn and it is...number 7!

7-9-13. I mean, I don't know. There are a thousand combinations on this wall. It looks like the Suns probably have one of those...yes, they do. The Magic? I'm not sure...

And the final ball is number...2! 2-7-9-13

Well, 2 is a low number which could mean...oh, yes. The representative from Philadelphia is raising his hand, and sure enough, 2-7-9-13 was one of Philadelphia's combinations. However, since the 76ers already received the first pick in the draft, that combination is ineligible and we need to draw again.

And it's time for a commercial break! We'll be right back to the NBA Lottery Draw held in Secaucus, New Jersey!
Don't you think that if it were rigged, that the representatives of the teams that got jobbed by the rigging would complain? Like a little? It's not good TV because it's confusing to the average casual sports fan, there is often the necessity of a re-draw, and it spoils the suspense because in the actual draw, the first pick is determined FIRST and they can't count backwards from #14 like they do on the telecast. The "secretive" format of the lottery has everything to do with TV ratings and nothing at all to do with rigging it.

Well, you know, outside of the fact that every team sends a representative into the room where the lotto happens. That does make it kind of hard to rig.

Don't you think that if it were rigged, that the representatives of the teams that got jobbed by the rigging would complain? Like a little? It's not good TV because it's confusing to the average casual sports fan, there is often the necessity of a re-draw, and it spoils the suspense because in the actual draw, the first pick is determined FIRST and they can't count backwards from #14 like they do on the telecast. The "secretive" format of the lottery has everything to do with TV ratings and nothing at all to do with rigging it.

Exactly. It's not rigged. No matter who won, there would always be theories about why it was "rigged." Hell, even if we won it last year, others would say it was rigged because we just got our new arena. I just don't buy it. There is no rhythm or reason to it -- it's just the system in that is in place.

If the draft lottery isn't rigged they currently have a decent odds of losing that pick. (44.2%)

The Suns are tanking hard and should they slip into that 2nd spot then it's basically a coin flip for LA
I read something the other day where Silver is not happy about teams resting/ not playing at all healthy players. It is BS when you realize good teams are happy to lose to the lotto bound teams late in the year as they are secure about their playoff positions. It can largely effect the draft order. Granted it can work for and against us, so tank away Suns and push the most obvious tankers the Lakers out of the top 3.

Excuse the font, my daughter must have messed with my PC.

Exactly. My comment above about the lottery being rigged was tongue in cheek.

Although in this day and age everything can be monetized. The NBA could sell a special lottery package where subscribers get sent the chart of the 1001 combinations and which teams they all belong to and get a tape delayed pay-per-view of the drawing process. For only $24.99 they could get to know the lottery results 5 minutes before all their buddies who didn't shell out the cash!

It wouldn't make for terrible TV. The scenario you depicted is basically the informerical version of the lottery. A bunch of fumbling idiots not being able to execute the simplest of tasks. There's no reason it has to be as bland as a ball with a number coming out with a guy referencing a spreadsheet of who that number belongs to.

Have the balls colored in the designated team colors with the correct amount in there as far as the odds for each pick goes. Once the first ball pops out, reset the balls in the machine while the talking heads are talking about the teams needs, mock drafts and possible picks at that position. Once they're done with a quick analysis, it's on to the next spot in the lottery. Carry on until the lottery is over. Would be a hell of a lot more exciting than the way it currently is with a bunch of guys talking for 90% of the time before they read off the lottery list fairly quickly.

Oof. Pels knock off the Grizz
The Pels have won their last 5 out of 6. They have 11 games left and other than the Lakers and us it wont be too easy for them. They play Denver twice in Denver a team they are competing against for the 8th spot. They are currently 3.5 games out of 8. Anyways I still don't think they will make the playoffs but their trend might give us a pick closer to 12. That could be a Miles Bridges type.

It wouldn't make for terrible TV. The scenario you depicted is basically the informerical version of the lottery. A bunch of fumbling idiots not being able to execute the simplest of tasks. There's no reason it has to be as bland as a ball with a number coming out with a guy referencing a spreadsheet of who that number belongs to.

Have the balls colored in the designated team colors with the correct amount in there as far as the odds for each pick goes. Once the first ball pops out, reset the balls in the machine while the talking heads are talking about the teams needs, mock drafts and possible picks at that position. Once they're done with a quick analysis, it's on to the next spot in the lottery. Carry on until the lottery is over. Would be a hell of a lot more exciting than the way it currently is with a bunch of guys talking for 90% of the time before they read off the lottery list fairly quickly.
It doesn't work that way. There are only 14 ping pong balls and they don't belong to any one team. They pull four of them and of the 1001 combinations all but one (11,12,13,14) belong to a lottery team.

And as Capt points out, they choose the #1 team first. Very anti-climatic for TV.

And they DO have to check a spreadsheet. There are 1000 usable combinations. The worst team gets 250'of them and so on. Unless someone memorizes all the combinations nobody knows who that first combination of four numbers belongs to until they check.

Then they draw again and it's possible the next combination belongs to the same team that just won the #1 pick so they have to draw again.

Personally I don't think there's anything they could do to make the lottery an event I'd watch. If I ever watch it it's only because it's during halftime of a playoff game I'm watching and I happen to not change the channel.

I much prefer to just check in after it's over and see what the draft order is.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I want the Pels to be 4th. After the lottery. Highest pick they can get and it goes to us. Any other answer is just a guess at the lottery and is a stupid answer. ;)

The Pels are starting to gel. We would be lucky if the pick stays in the top 10.

I'm thinking Pels pick will be #10. Kings at #7

But, if you are asking where I want them to be slotted before the lottery, I think 7-8 would be safe for us to get the pick

Last edited:
It doesn't work that way. There are only 14 ping pong balls and they don't belong to any one team. They pull four of them and of the 1001 combinations all but one (11,12,13,14) belong to a lottery team.

And as Capt points out, they choose the #1 team first. Very anti-climatic for TV.

And they DO have to check a spreadsheet. There are 1000 usable combinations. The worst team gets 250'of them and so on. Unless someone memorizes all the combinations nobody knows who that first combination of four numbers belongs to until they check.

Then they draw again and it's possible the next combination belongs to the same team that just won the #1 pick so they have to draw again.

Personally I don't think there's anything they could do to make the lottery an event I'd watch. If I ever watch it it's only because it's during halftime of a playoff game I'm watching and I happen to not change the channel.

It can easily work the way I described. Just because they do it the way you pointed out doesn't mean they can't just change it up for television. It's a lottery with ping pong balls flying up into a tube, its not rocket surgery. It's an easy way to make it transparent for everybody so they don't have to do it in secrecy behind closed doors. It would make for perfectly fine television and wouldn't take a ton of time to do. You guys are acting as if they absolutely have to use the least interesting method possible and are unable to ever change that.

It can easily work the way I described. Just because they do it the way you pointed out doesn't mean they can't just change it up for television. It's a lottery with ping pong balls flying up into a tube, its not rocket surgery. It's an easy way to make it transparent for everybody so they don't have to do it in secrecy behind closed doors. It would make for perfectly fine television and wouldn't take a ton of time to do. You guys are acting as if they absolutely have to use the least interesting method possible and are unable to ever change that.
The lottery is inherently not good for television. They've crafted a (IMO still uninteresting) way to make it a TV event but if they actually showed the drawing they would pull the first team (who gets the first pick) and then the next two and then there's really no reason to talk about the rest of the teams in the lottery. Once I know who is picking 1-3 (and thus 4-14) why would I sit an listen to them talk about all the lottery teams?

They purposely count down so that they can build drama around who actually won spots 1-3 and by revealing the teams in reverse order they create a reason to talk about them while not giving away the end result. If they showed the real drawing I think even more people would do what I do and just wait until they pulled those three teams and then go online and see what the draft order is.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

That's for darned sure. We've gotten so much bad lottery news over the years it's like a car crash that you don't want to see happening before your eyes. Just wait for the wreckage and move on.

I love that we traded Cousins to them and now we're getting upset because theyre winning.
I am pleasantly (for Kings) surprised that they were losing as much as they did so far.
Baring injuries, never thought of us being in any serious danger of losing their pick.

Hope they will not hop over Blazers and Hornets.

Haven't they won 4 of the last 5 or something like that?

The pick will not be in the top 10 despite how hard people want it to be. The early loses were expected with the revolving doors on the wings and incorporating Boogie into the line up. Now that they are trying to figure it out, they have started winning and teams are finding it difficult to match up with the twin towers.

Haven't they won 4 of the last 5 or something like that?

The pick will not be in the top 10 despite how hard people want it to be. The early loses were expected with the revolving doors on the wings and incorporating Boogie into the line up. Now that they are trying to figure it out, they have started winning and teams are finding it difficult to match up with the twin towers.
Well.... it will not be that easy for them to get outside of the top 10.

Only 11 games left, they have to jump over Charlotte or Blazers who are 2 games ahead and Pelicans schedule is Houston, Nuggets x 3, Jazz, Mavs, Kings, Bulls, Warriors, Lakers and Blazers, 7 away, 4 at home.
If Hornets and Blazers repeat what they did in the past 10 games (6:4, 7:3 respectively), Pels have to go at least 8:3. It is possible, but not likely.
Oh and the next tech Cuz skips one.

I would say 10th spot is about right.