Where do we go from here?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A new blog entry has been added:

[drupal=91]Where do we go from here?[/drupal]

The team is losing, the owners are openly NOT happy with the lack of a "system" and apparent begrudging use of the young players and the coaching staff has gone to selecting rotations by dart-board. All is not well in the Kingdom.

We have a lot of talent on our team that simply isn't being properly utilized. Spencer Hawes, arguably the brightest light especially while Kevin Martin has been sidelined, was finally put into the starting lineup and fans rejoiced. We celebrated ... until the head coach explained the only reason Hawes had started at the power forward position was because John Salmons wasn't playing that night.

Wait. John Salmons, the small forward, wasn't playing so Theus decided to start our future center at the 4? Hrm... Well, of course. Makes perfect sense.

And that, fellow Kings fans, is the story this season. Bizarre lineups and substitution patterns that are, to say the least, unique. Allocation of playing time minutes that boggles the mind. Yanking young players from games because they've made a mistake but not talking to them as they come off the court to point out what they did wrong and how they should work to correct it.

We have a huge coaching staff and yet, for the most part, it's very difficult to see what the assistant coaches are doing. But that's par for the course, because it's also very difficult to figure out what the head coach is doing.

The Maloofs finally started using the word "rebuilding" this season and meaning it. They want to see the kids play and while they wouldn't mind a trip to the playoffs if someone handed them the tickets, they aren't expecting it.

So what happens? The head coach, more than once, comes right out and says it's always about winning for him first and foremost. Is that the way to create job security in a job only 30 people can hold at any one time? It certainly doesn't seem wise to openly and blatantly disregard what your big boss has repeatedly said.

There are those who will make excuses for Reggie Theus and will say he's had a lot to deal with. While that's true, it's not germane to the topic at hand.

Theus was given a mandate earlier this year by Joe Maloof - develop the kids and formulate and exhibit some kind of "system," particularly when it comes to defense. Regardless of anything else that may or may not have happened, Theus has failed to perform either of those two tasks.

While Reggie was a fun player to watch when he was here, it's becoming more and more clear that his coaching skills just might not be what the Kings need right now to build a foundation for the future.

At this point, it's most likely a matter of when and not if Reggie Theus will be fired as head coach of the Sacramento Kings. It's not handwriting on the wall any longer; it's rockets in the sky and stencils on the moon. I believe it's possible Theus has one more chance to save his job...

On Saturday against the Denver Nuggets, Reggie must put emphasis on playing the kids. But not just throwing them out there in random situations. He needs to put them in positions where they'll be developing skills they'll need in their NBA futures, and they need to be learning to work with the guys who'll be there with them.

I would really like to see significant minutes for Jason Thompson. And if he makes a mistake on the court, I would think it could be arranged for one of the assistant coaches to at least point out his mistake and COACH him on what he could/should have done instead.

Rebuilding isn't easy and it isn't quick. But it doesn't have to be anywhere near as painful as what we've seen lately.

The ball quite literally is in Reggie's court. Whether it actually remains his court or not is up to him.

In my opinion, the rebuilding has not been as painful as we have made it out to be. Sure seven losses in a row at home, very close losses, some blowouts, it is all a part of the painful process of growth. But for the most part, I feel the future is outstandingly bright whether Reggie Theus is here or not, regardless if he is trying to figure out the lineup or not. At least afford this man the opportunity to grow in 2008-09 as well as the players. If you really want to see those young players play, the onus in my view is not on Theus, it is on Petrie to make room for those players by dealing the veterans such as Moore, Miller and Salmons. Reggie's natural inclination is to play veterans, because Reggie wants to win, because the Maloofs are demanding wins and development of young players (makes no sense to me).

I don't care what happens results wise between now and the Summer of 2010. To me "THAT" is when this whole thing really begins, and the organization will have a tremendous headstart with 3/5 of it's starting lineup already in place and three young solid bench players:

PG - ?
SG - Kevin Martin
SF - ?
PF - Jason Thompson
C - Spencer Hawes
Bench - Francisco Garcia, Bobby Brown, Donte Greene
Coach - ?

It is up to the Maloofs and Geoff Petrie to fill in the gaps with high level, quality, veteran, All-Star (and maybe Hall of Fame caliber) talent to mold this into a championship contender.

While I am waiting, I am going to give Coach Theus an opportunity to coach with a fully healhty squad, which I think begins tonight. Let him coach this squad one full season, and at the end, if the front office, general managers, fans and the like believe he is not the right guy, then you go and get somebody else.

To me that is balance in a fan. Patience and Anticipation.

Peace,
Purple Reign:)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I honestly lay a lot of the blame on the Maloff's. Being salesmen themselves, I think their impressed by salesmanship. Reggie is very good at selling himself. Reggie as a coach is a lot like Moore as a player. There's a lot of talk and chest beating. Professional scowling and puffing up of feathers. But at the end of the day, were looking at 4 points and 2 rebounds.

I think that Reggie will be a sucessful coach in the NBA someday. But he needs to put his ego aside and hire experienced assistants. And one more piece of advice I would give him. Its something Miller said the other day about he and Reggie being good friends. Reggie, the players are not your friends. Your their boss. And a good boss can be friendly with his employee's, but he's never their friend. When you cross that bridge, its very difficult to get back.

Not everyone is like VF21, and is willing to sit back and watch the Kings lose while the rookies DEVELOP! First, there's no guarantee that JT, Greene, or Brown will ever develop into anything more than role players. Secondly, where is it proven that PT is all that's necessary for player development.

Have you ever heard the saying, "Practice doesn't make Perfect, Perfect Practice makes Perfect." Throughing JT out on the court for 35mpg when he doesn't know what he's doing isn't helping anyone.

Everyone is so upset because Theus put Douby in to the game and distroyed his confidence. Well, putting JT in the game against the best PF in the game, when his offense and defense is just starting to take form, isn't good for his confidence either. The team hasn't had a practice day in over a month, and it shows in JT's performance.

Hawes wasn't ready for 35mpg last year, and neither are the new rookies. Give them time to practice, and then try using the skills in a game. Stop trying to rush the rebuild. Let the rookies learn to walk before you through them to the wolves.

Theus is a rookie coach, so give him the same break you seem to give the players.

Not everyone is like VF21, and is willing to sit back and watch the Kings lose while the rookies DEVELOP! First, there's no guarantee that JT, Greene, or Brown will ever develop into anything more than role players. Secondly, where is it proven that PT is all that's necessary for player development.
1. The Kings are already losing with a veteran lineup. Why waste our time losing (with the vets) if we can give the youth true game-time experience. It's not like it will hurt our record any.

2. There is no guarantee that JT, Greene, or Brown will ever develop into anything more than role players - true. But why assume that they won't become more than role players and actually reach their potential? Shouldn't they get game experience so they actually have a legitimate shot at learning the NBA game so they can be successful?

3. PT is not all that's necessary for player development, but it sure is a crucial aspect of development. Today's stars didn't get where they are from years of practice to only sit the bench. It's practice and games that determine how far you will go as a player. You can't have one without the other and expect to have favorable results.

VF, I usually understand where your coming from when you make a point, and most of the time I actually agree with them. However, as far as Theus is concerned I think we have complete oposite Ideas of what he has done here.

Im a Theus guy, I thought he did a GREAT job last year as our coach. dealing with a ton of injuries, the pg situation at the beggining of the year .. bibby trade.. all in all I give him a A- for his job last year.

EVERYONE knew this year would be difficult, I just wonder why so many people trash Theus when the team hasnt been at full strength ONCE ALL YEAR.

MPG:
Hawes = 30
Thompson = 25
Brown = 17
Greene = 15

I want to know how much more you guys want these youngins to play?

If hawes didnt start, he would be the first big off the bench. Since he has started Thompson has been the first big off the bench .. Brown is the first PG off the bench.

Greene is a project, thats what everyone has been saying since the NCAA season ended. He wouldnt get consistent minutes on any team in the league right now.

Im going to make another point here that I havent seen yet ..

Lets take a look at other top Rookies MPG:
Joe Alexander - 12.8
Anthony Randolph - 14.3
Maurice Speights - 13.8
Robin Lopez - 10.8

^^All good players drafted in front of Donte Greene ( I think ( who get less MPG and in ALL these cases they are the number 1 rook on the team ) )

As far as rankings go. Thompson is 11th in the league in MPG and then Brown and Greene are 22 and 23.

Kings have 3 rookies in the top 25 in MPG ... This is out of 60ish rookies, and most teams have only 1 or 2 .. we have 3 and manage them all over 10 MPG, that is pretty damn good.

Not to mention Hawes, who has seen a great leap in MPG.

Theus is 1 for 1 as far as rookie development goes wouldnt you say? Hawes has looked good thus far.

My main point, lighten up on Reg. He gets killed by the fans and owners for little to no reason. The team sucks without injuries ... lose your star player, starting center and sixth man for a substantial amount of time and forget about it...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
MPG:
Hawes = 30
Thompson = 25
Brown = 17
Greene = 15

If Moore is getting minutes, then that is an indication that Thompson and Hawes should be getting more. Does that clarify it enough for you?

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR PLAYING TIME. And since we are not going anywhere this year, let's give them all the PT they can handle. Let them make mistakes and learn from them. Let them have consistent minutes without walking to the bench after every TO.

MPG:
Hawes = 30
Thompson = 25
Brown = 17
Greene = 15

Im going to make another point here that I havent seen yet ..

Lets take a look at other top Rookies MPG:
Joe Alexander - 12.8
Anthony Randolph - 14.3
Maurice Speights - 13.8
Robin Lopez - 10.8

^^All good players drafted in front of Donte Greene ( I think ( who get less MPG and in ALL these cases they are the number 1 rook on the team ) )

As far as rankings go. Thompson is 11th in the league in MPG and then Brown and Greene are 22 and 23.

Kings have 3 rookies in the top 25 in MPG ... This is out of 60ish rookies, and most teams have only 1 or 2 .. we have 3 and manage them all over 10 MPG, that is pretty damn good.

Not to mention Hawes, who has seen a great leap in MPG.

Theus is 1 for 1 as far as rookie development goes wouldnt you say? Hawes has looked good thus far.
One of the most astute observations I've seen on this board in a loooong time. Well done. Some people clamor for "more minutes, more minutes" but minutes arent in issue to me. Also, keep in mind that these extended minutes are without the team being at full strength once. Once everyone comes back in, expect them to drop unless we trade Miller and/or Salmons, because both of them command somewhere around 30 minutes a game, as most starters are expected to.

My issue with Reggie is not minutes; its his mouth. He runs it like Larry Brown and Phil Jackson, just without the experience and results of Larry, and without the thoughtfulness/mindtricks of Phil. Reggie says it to hear himself. He puts things out there that you should not put out as a rookie coach, with a rookie team. It's not something you do. He throws kids out there for all to see. You want to berate your rookies, you do it in-house. You want to question your young team, do it in-house. Don't air your laundry. When a team sucks (like this one) and is young, the need to be tight knit and "us against them" mentality is even more than a veteran team. You don't just develop rookies, you develop them TO you. You play to their strengths, and they play to yours. You need to be very much the father figure. Reggie doesn't seem to do this. Protect your kids, and foster them. Don't embarrass them. As a young coach, Reggie would benefit the most from being equals with people like Bobby Jackson, while being a father to the young kids. They need to hear things frmo the coach, and the older players. I think Reggie is alienating people right now with the way he is coaching.

Let's look at Theus' history WRT this particular issue, 'K?

Here was how it was when I posted last March 24th.
...we do not value our kids. If you look at last year's draft, 10 of the top 15 picks are also among the top dozen rookies for PT. Hawes' position in the PT rankings is #32, which makes us and GS (for similar treatment of both Brandan Wright and Belinelli) the worst places in the NBA for a rookie this year -- of the top 20 draft picks, with the exception of the injured Oden and the guys drafted by GS, there is not a single one who has gotten less minutes per game than Hawes. (And Hawes got a lot for a rookie, by recent Sac standards, other kids have fared much worse.)
He did let Hawes into some games at the very end of the year, but that was about it.

Then this year started, and he was forced to play kids some more because of injuries and suspensions. Now those are over with and he's reverting to his old habits. Those old habits won't cut it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not everyone is like VF21, and is willing to sit back and watch the Kings lose while the rookies DEVELOP! ...

Theus is a rookie coach, so give him the same break you seem to give the players.
First, it's not about winning or losing. It's about heart and hustle, energy and enthusiasm. I've made that comment many times in explaining that I want to see maximum effort and exciting basketball. I've never said that it has to be all rookies all the time. I have, in fact, said frequently that I want to see the kids get meaningful minutes on the court with the veterans in lineups that at least make sense.

I don't like seeing them lose BUT I can deal with the losses IF they play to the best of their ability AND develop the players that are our future.

Reggie Theus is NOT a rookie coach. This is his second year in the NBA. If anything, he should be better equipped to deal with kids and teaching them the things they need to know after his success at New Mexico. It was that success, in fact, that led me to believe he could translate into an effective NBA coach.

We aren't going to win a lot of games and we aren't going to be in the playoffs unless some very good teams suffer some catastrophic injuries. It just isn't going to happen.

I've been a Kings fan since 1985. I've suffered - along with a lot of others - through seasons that were dismal at best and where losses of single digits were considered moral victories. That wasn't fun and I certainly don't want to return to those days.

What we have right now is a team that isn't very good BUT we have hope and potential and we have at least a couple of kids who could end up being very, very, very good. Since we aren't going to be winning that much anyway, our focus should be on PROPER utilization of the minutes of each game to let the kids gain the kind of experience they'll need.

I've never once stated specific numbers of minutes because I don't look at it that way. I do think, though, that any time we see Mikki Moore getting a majority of minutes we're not trying to develop the youth.

Tonight's game is a bellwether, IMHO. If we see a return to the same old lineup of Udrih, Martin, Salmons, Moore and Miller I'll be very disappointed and probably pretty vocal about it. I want to see Spencer garnering good quality minutes and I still believe that Jason Thompson will get better if he's allowed to have more time, learn from his mistakes and maybe even foul out a couple of times, just like I did with Kevin Martin back when most people said he wouldn't amount to anything.

I truly think Reggie COULD do the job, I just have come to believe that he won't because some little voice keeps telling him it's about wins/losses more than anything else and his coaching decisions for the most part bear that out.

I love the Kings. I only want what's best for them as I always have. I didn't come to this point lightly. I defended Reggie and some of his decisions vehemently. Finally, however, I couldn't justify them any longer.

Bottom line, my humble opinion is that he just isn't going to do the job in a way that will be the best for the future of my beloved Kings. And if that's the case, I'd just as soon replace him and find someone who will.

If Moore is getting minutes, then that is an indication that Thompson and Hawes should be getting more. Does that clarify it enough for you?
Mikki Moore is getting 21.9 MPG, which is less than Hawes and Thompson. While I agree that Mikki shouldnt be playing that much, 21.9 isnt a killer .. I can live with a coach that 1 of only a few flaws involves giving a guy 10 or so more minutes than he should be.

Then this year started, and he was forced to play kids some more because of injuries and suspensions. Now those are over with and he's reverting to his old habits. Those old habits won't cut it.
We havent been totally healthy for 1 full game yet, last year was last year and it worked out didnt it? What if Hawes lost all confidence last year if he had more minutes? All I know is reggie gave what minutes he thought spencer earned .. early last year spencer was coming off the knee surgery, he had to take it slow until later in the year anyways. And like I said earlier, Hawes looks good this year, so all in all im happy with how Reggie handeled him.

I truly think Reggie COULD do the job, I just have come to believe that he won't because some little voice keeps telling him it's about wins/losses more than anything else and his coaching decisions for the most part bear that out.
Its different when that little voice is your boss .. who cant make up his mind. The Maloofs said they dont see a system, yet they want to see the rookies play more .. yet they want to make the playoffs. Well, a system isnt going to look like a system when you have 3 rookies and a second year player on the floor. The system, mainly defensively, is what takes the longest time for young players to grasp, so seeing an effective system with young/untalented players isnt going to look like much of a system.

I expect nothing less than 30+ minutes for Hawes, JT, Brown, and Donte. This is a lottery team in a rebuilding phase, and not playing the future prospects in favor of vets who aren't going to be part of the future is UNHEARD of.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Its different when that little voice is your boss .. who cant make up his mind. The Maloofs said they dont see a system, yet they want to see the rookies play more .. yet they want to make the playoffs. Well, a system isnt going to look like a system when you have 3 rookies and a second year player on the floor. The system, mainly defensively, is what takes the longest time for young players to grasp, so seeing an effective system with young/untalented players isnt going to look like much of a system.
I don't know where people get the idea the Maloofs are fixated on reaching the playoffs. They want to rebuild and IF (and that's a huge, huge, huge IF) we managed to crawl into the playoffs, they would - of course - not complain. BUT they do not want Reggie to focus solely on winning with veterans getting the majority of minutes because they realize we aren't that good, we're rebuilding and we have to look to the future. The edict has come down repeatedly to play the kids. That doesn't mean putting them in just long enough to commit a couple of fouls and send them back to the Siberia at the far end of the bench. It means giving them adequate time within the flow of the game to play, make mistakes, possibly learn not to make those particular mistakes, etc.

As far as the system thing goes, I guess we just have different POV. My complaint isn't that we don't have much of a system. My complaint is that I haven't even seen a glimmer of a suggestion of a system.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
VF you may agree with me here and others may not. But dang if we don't have the team (with Hawes and Thompson in the frontcourt) to run the princeton offense again. what do you think?

last year was last year and it worked out didnt it?
Last year? I liked it slightly less than the year of Muss, where I could at least look forward to the 100% certainty of his firing. I think the last year I liked that little was the one before we acquired Olden Polynice -- that summer I sensed that our sub-.400 days had become a thing of the past. Were any of you others out there at Macy's with me, in mid '93, welcoming OP to Sacramento and lining up for an autograph?

I've been mostly quite content with how the summer went, and how things started off this year. But it was Geoff Petrie who made my summer, and injuries and suspensions that got me through the fall. I don't know what's going to do it for me now. Reggie isn't, so far.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Entity - I think the chances of seeing our frontcourt play in a manner similar to Vlade and Chris increases the better Jason gets. While I won't label it "Princeton offense" particularly, I will say I think Spencer has the ability to become the type of passing big man Petrie really seems to love. And with Martin and Garcia as cutter/receivers, his job certainly gets easier.

I see tons of potential in Jason Thompson. But he's got a lot to learn. I firmly believe he can be much more than he's shown so far but it will depend on the coaching he receives.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You want a guarantee? I'll give you an absolute 100% guarantee: Miki Moore is at best and will always be a fifth tier power forward in this league, given that there is five tiers.

You want a guarantee? 100% guarantee: Brad Miller is a temporary stopgap who is not part of the long term future of this team.

Those are a couple of guarantees that should be taken into consideration when evaluating whether the young players should be played or not.

Have you ever heard the saying, "Practice doesn't make Perfect, Perfect Practice makes Perfect." Throughing JT out on the court for 35mpg when he doesn't know what he's doing isn't helping anyone........The team hasn't had a practice day in over a month, and it shows in JT's performance.

JT was not confused before Theus had him play small forward. Playing a center at small forward can be a bit confusing. And Theus isn't a rookie coach.

theus is a rookie coach as much as thompson and greene are rookie players. much like dog years, an nba player's maximum life is much shorter than a coach's lifespan. therefore, even at 2 seasons, i would still consider reggie a rookie coach. very much so.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Maloof's said that they would like to see a resemblence of some kind of system along with developing the young players. You seem to be implying that the two aren't compatible. There not only compatible, but an absolute necessity.

When a player plays within a set system, he knows exactly what his role will be. He has a good idea of when he'll be going into the game and when he'll sit. He'll know what his role on offense and defense will be. I was willing to cut Reggie some slack because of injuries, but some of his moves just don't make sense. He's flying by the seat of his pants, looking at the instruction manual while the plane is going into a nose dive.

When some of his plan does have some sucess, he shortcuts that sucess by saying something stupid, like he didn't start Hawes because he deserved it, but because of the absence of Salmons. You, as a fan reach out and grab onto the fact that Hawes started, and played well. You think to yourself, maybe Reggie is starting to get it. But good old Reggie. He steps right in and says, no I don't.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I was looking for a clip from Buffy the Musical of a song with the same title as this thread, and what do you know, youtube failed me. Boo.

Quote VF21
First, it's not about winning or losing. It's about heart and hustle, energy and enthusiasm. I've made that comment many times in explaining that I want to see maximum effort and exciting basketball. I've never said that it has to be all rookies all the time. I have, in fact, said frequently that I want to see the kids get meaningful minutes on the court with the veterans in lineups that at least make sense.

I don't like seeing them lose BUT I can deal with the losses IF they play to the best of their ability AND develop the players that are our future.
]
I don't question your loyalty or long time devotion to the team. But, being a fan who isn't willing to pay money if there is no chance to see the team win, doesn't make one less of a fan than you. And, at his stage of the rookies development, giving the rookies too much PT guarantees a loss.

Yes, we are losing with the vets playing, but we won some and were close on others. When Theus chose to play the rookies in the 4th quarter of blow outs, the rookies showed that they couldn't out score the opponents backups let along their starters. They're rookies and play like they are, and till they get better, they need to get their PT with people who do know what their doing.

Reggie Theus is NOT a rookie coach. This is his second year in the
NBA. If anything, he should be better equipped to deal with kids and teaching them the things they need to know after his success at New Mexico. It was that success, in fact, that led me to believe he could translate into an effective NBA coach.
]
Strickly speaking Theus isn't a rookie, but as you pointed out he came here from New Mexico. He has no NBA coaching experience at all, and too me that makes him a rookie. IF you want to go by the exact definition to make your point, please go ahead.

What we have right now is a team that isn't very good BUT we have hope and potential and we have at least a couple of kids who could end up being very, very, very good. Since we aren't going to be winning that much anyway, our focus should be on PROPER utilization of the minutes of each game to let the kids gain the kind of experience they'll need.

I've never once stated specific numbers of minutes because I don't look at it that way. I do think, though, that any time we see Mikki Moore getting a majority of minutes we're not trying to develop the youth
Well you getting your wish so what's the problem. Through the first 21 games.
Hawes 615 minutes
Miller 544 minutes
Thompson 527 minutes
Moore 354 minutes
Brown 309 minutes
Greene 219 minutes

I maintain that JT shouldn't be a starter yet. His skill set isn't good enough, and he will have a better chance implementing the skills that he is learning if he doesn't have to go up against the starting PF's. Practice on the backups first. Trying to learn against the best PF's in the league will only lead to frustration, and eventually hurt his confidence. Plus, because of the November schedule, there were no practice days.

I love the Kings. I only want what's best for them as I always have. I didn't come to this point lightly. I defended Reggie and some of his decisions vehemently. Finally, however, I couldn't justify them any longer.

Bottom line, my humble opinion is that he just isn't going to do the job in a way that will be the best for the future of my beloved Kings. And if that's the case, I'd just as soon replace him and find someone who will.
Professional sports is about winning. It's the coaches job to put the best lineup he can that will give him a chance to win. Yes, we are in a rebuild and yes we want to develop the players who will give us a chance to win in the future. But, this rebuild is not a 1 year deal. At best the rebuild that will make us a contender, is 3 or 4 years away.

Our rookies don't need extended PT, what they need is QUALITY PT. And, that will come when they can use what they learn in practice in a game. I look forward to the coming monthes as we recover from our early injurys and the TEAM developes into a more cohesive unit. And, I'm confident that the coaching staff, will develop the rookies and blend them into the rotation in a positive way. To this end, I give Theus my complete support, and hope that he is allowed the opportunity to complete the season before final judgement is made.

When JT starts to feel it, sometime in the second half of the season I'm guessing, we will be able to dash some other teams playoff chances- isn't that always fun :D. Martin and Hawes need the tripod factor.
This being said, why don't we make about 5 plays for these guys and run them over and over and over again? I'd rather see the obvious play coming than have poor Martin try to create something out of nothing. Have we done this already and I'm just not seeing it?

what we knew

was that Reggie was going to very raw as an NBA coach, and he was hired with the "thought" (not sure who, Maloof or Petrie's) he could and would become a very good coach. But, even as a rookie, the one thing he was supposed to bring was credibility with the players and an ability to relate and get his point across. Now, he failed miserably (ie the K-mart fiasco) with that last year, and while he has improved, that fact is surely a knock on him. Game-wise he still has a lot to learn and the constant barking is ?good? or bad? I was one who thought Adelman's time had run out and needed to change from both sides, but I will admit now that it wasn't Adelman, but the players. This team has a tremendous amount of potential with great talent in at least 4 positions (Donte MAY be the best of them all, but he has a lot (the most) to learn and his willingness to learn and WORK ala K-Mart will be his limiting factor) and needs the right coach to bring it out, not stiffle it. Is Theus that guy? not sure but can we afford waiting 5 years to find out while our young talent waffles in confusion? all to find out he wasn't. I don't know who out there I actually like that doesn't already have a job, that's a problem too. Oh, and by the way, does anyone else just want to turn the TV off or leave after watching Brad play for 5 minutes?????? you mean to tell me we can't get the same production from Hawes or Thompson in those same minutes? He's killing us out there in crunch time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yes, we are losing with the vets playing, but we won some and were close on others. When Theus chose to play the rookies in the 4th quarter of blow outs, the rookies showed that they couldn't out score the opponents backups let along their starters. They're rookies and play like they are, and till they get better, they need to get their PT with people who do know what their doing.
Your admiting that were losing with the Vet's. You also admitted that there was little or no practice time in November, so, the only time the rookies would have to test their skill is in a real game. The Kings are in a serious tailspin at the moment, and it doesn't appear that it will get any better with the Lakers on the horizon. They got into this tailspin with the Vets, not the rookies, and its the rookies that are the future of this team. At least we hope so.

Yes, the rookies have gotten minutes, but your stats are somewhat deceiving because a lot of their minutes came in the fourth quarter after the game was out of sight. Here's a question. Whats so hard about about having Miller and Hawes start the game. Somewhere toward the end of the 1st quarter, you bring in Moore and Thompson. You try and give them at least 10 minutes of playing time. Maybe 12 or 13 if things are going well and then you bring in the starters to finish the half. You repeat that process in the second half.

Thats called a system. The players then know their going to play and for how long. They know whats expected of them. Yeah, I know that can be screwed up by fouls etc. But you try and stick with it as much as you can. Right now, if there's a system, I would like you to explain it to me, because I can't figure it out. Its almost as if Reggie throws a dart at the board and whoevers name it hits, they go into the game.

I can remember watching Sloan manage the time of Stockton and Malone. I could almost set my watch by when they would come out of the game and when they would go back in. He seldom let the game dictate what his substitution pattern was going to be. I think this is all most of us want. A system, a plan where rookies get playing time in a meaningful way. If a rookie makes a mistake. Call him over at the next break and talk to him and explain what he's doing wrong. I've seen more young players have their confidence destroyed by coaches than by playing against good competition.

Your admiting that were losing with the Vet's. You also admitted that there was little or no practice time in November, so, the only time the rookies would have to test their skill is in a real game. The Kings are in a serious tailspin at the moment, and it doesn't appear that it will get any better with the Lakers on the horizon. They got into this tailspin with the Vets, not the rookies, and its the rookies that are the future of this team. At least we hope so.

Yes, the rookies have gotten minutes, but your stats are somewhat deceiving because a lot of their minutes came in the fourth quarter after the game was out of sight. Here's a question. Whats so hard about about having Miller and Hawes start the game. Somewhere toward the end of the 1st quarter, you bring in Moore and Thompson. You try and give them at least 10 minutes of playing time. Maybe 12 or 13 if things are going well and then you bring in the starters to finish the half. You repeat that process in the second half.

Thats called a system. The players then know their going to play and for how long. They know whats expected of them. Yeah, I know that can be screwed up by fouls etc. But you try and stick with it as much as you can. Right now, if there's a system, I would like you to explain it to me, because I can't figure it out. Its almost as if Reggie throws a dart at the board and whoevers name it hits, they go into the game.

I can remember watching Sloan manage the time of Stockton and Malone. I could almost set my watch by when they would come out of the game and when they would go back in. He seldom let the game dictate what his substitution pattern was going to be. I think this is all most of us want. A system, a plan where rookies get playing time in a meaningful way. If a rookie makes a mistake. Call him over at the next break and talk to him and explain what he's doing wrong. I've seen more young players have their confidence destroyed by coaches than by playing against good competition.
You call it a system, I call it a rotation, either way I don't object to that suggestion. Although my personal preference would be to eliminate Moore, play Miller 24mpg and fill the rest with Hawes, JT, & Williams.

I have no objection to playing rookies over vets. I do object to the notion that since were not going to win many games with the vets, we should give up playing them and play the rookies whether they are ready or not. As if all that is needed to develop a rookie into a starter is PT. More confidence has been destroyed by being dominated by a far superior oppenent then by coaches pulling you because you got 2 stupid fouls early in the game.

Everyone wants the Kings to win now, and the rookies need to develop over the next 1 to 2 years. So, I'm against any rotation that forces rookies into PT that their not ready for just to speed up their development. Play them so they can find out what they need to improve on YES. But, then let the coaching staff, teach them during practice, before they can take and implement it in actual games.

I don't need to see a bunch of kids running and jumping around with enthusiasm. I need to see 5 athletes playing TEAM basketball for my money.

Well you getting your wish so what's the problem. Through the first 21 games.
Hawes 615 minutes
Miller 544 minutes
Thompson 527 minutes
Moore 354 minutes
Brown 309 minutes
Greene 219 minutes

I maintain that JT shouldn't be a starter yet. His skill set isn't good enough...
Here's an interesting set of stats for you. Guess what position we're playing best at?

Net Production by Position

PG: -4.8
SG: -4.0
SF: -3.2
PF: -2.4
C: -2.6

The positions we're doing best at are the ones that Hawes and JT are getting their minutes at. The positions with less kid minutes, not so good.