When do the cuts start?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Well, we have a thread about who will survive the final cut, and with only about 12 days before the start of the season (thank God it is almost here), does anyone know when the cuts will start happening? They don't usually wait til the last minute to cut anyone, do they. I would have thought that the paring down would have started by now.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah, I think the China trip kind of set back the normal schedule. That and maybe the unusual competition for spots this year. Normally our roster is pretty set at this point, but this year there seems to be 3-4 spots up for grabs and they likely need to take a look at everybody before deciding.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Given the injuries to Tag and Christie they may keep a few guys on IR for a few weeks so there may be more than one round of cuts

This one is going to be haaard! Given the current injuries to backfill and the qualities/skills of the free agents, I'm having trouble in my own mind cutting it down to two...or three...or even four.

Does anyone with more knowledge and insight have some ideas after watching the first four games?

KK!

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
smart money might indicate Ferguson and or Barnes amywell get contracts. Fergy is realy a project and realistcly I'd rather see him go to Europe and hit the weight room to develop muscles and skills, but he can block, reobune (sort of) and has decnet moves in the low post. Barnes has good hustle and someskills. Martin and Alexander have contracts as far as I know so for better or worse they are on the squad. Minard is a decent pg but I am not sure the Kings need one. Bluthanthal is another posible contract based on his shooting and ablity to play the 3, but I for one am not real impressed with what I have ssen from him. Daniels, Evans and Wei are just not up to NBA standards and don't seem to fit the Kings curent needs adn Prada... well I'll be nice and say that he does not seem to be the bigmanthe kings need. Of the batch I think the one with the best possible future may be Fergison, but again this guy is no where near ready for prime time.

No roster moves made, but options are many

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11173895p-12089943c.html

No roster moves made, but options are many

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Friday, October 22, 2004

SALT LAKE CITY - Exactly how the Kings will pare their roster to the 12-man limit for the Nov. 2 regular-season opener in Dallas against the Mavericks clearly is an open-ended question.

In part, that's one reason coach Rick Adelman and his coaching staff decided Thursday against making any cuts heading into tonight's preseason game at the Delta Center against the Utah Jazz.

The unknown health and subsequent availability of starting guard Doug Christie (plantar fasciitis, left foot) and backup center Greg Ostertag (fractured right hand) will be a major factor in the opening night roster.

Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie said nine spots basically are settled.

"We've got the eight (veterans) and (first-round pick) Kevin (Martin)," Petrie said Thursday of Mike Bibby, Christie, Bobby Jackson, Brad Miller, Ostertag, Darius Songaila, Peja Stojakovic and Chris Webber. "Then there are three more spots that most likely will be filled with guys we have in camp. Now that's assuming guys are healthy and ready to go. If they aren't, then a couple of other guys could have a shot.

"And we'll also continue to monitor the waiver wire. But of the guys we have, we'll try to pick the three guys who potentially can help us the most."

Sacramento's primary concern at this juncture is a lack of frontline depth.

With Ostertag out, the Kings have only Miller, Webber and Songaila at the power positions. Free agents Adam Parada, Anwar Ferguson and Alton Ford all bring certain strengths to the table but also have glaring weaknesses. Parada can block shots and is a fair rebounder but is not much of an offensive threat and lacks quickness. The 7-foot Ferguson is very athletic but weighs only 200 pounds and lacks experience. Ford is a banger and a bruiser but not skilled.

Petrie acknowledged he isn't optimistic, but if the Kings had their preference, and could find one, they'd probably add a more experienced big man.

Bibby, Christie, Jackson and Martin have four of the guard slots locked, so the fifth guard spot could mean a battle between second-round pick Ricky Minard and impressive free agent Maurice Evans. Evans, a standout in Italy last season, has appeared more polished but is a two-guard/small forward. Minard is a combination guard, learning how to run a team from the point.

Free agent Courtney Alexander is in the mix, but he'll have to get onto the court and show he can be healthy enough to play, much less show his skills. It's not believed Liu Wei has much of a chance to stick.

Perhaps the Kings' most difficult decision will come from the group of free-agent forwards, Del Campo's Matt Barnes, former USC shooter David Bluthenthal and Kentucky rookie Erik Daniels. Barnes continues to impress with his ability to handle the ball and make plays for his teammates.

Bluthenthal attracted the Kings' attention with his exceptional shooting ability during the summer but has not done so during the preseason. The versatile Daniels can do myriad things.

Said Petrie of the contract status of the free agents and rookies when asked if any had guaranteed deals, "Some of those guys have partial guarantees."

Petrie said the recoveries of Christie and Ostertag appear to be proceeding well, but there is no way to predict if either, neither or both will be ready to start the season. Christie is running on the treadmill, but with the season opener 11 days away, has yet to practice. "When he's ready for us, we'll be ready for him," Kings assistant coach Elston Turner said of Christie.

Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie said nine spots basically are settled.

"We've got the eight (veterans) and (first-round pick) Kevin (Martin)," Petrie said Thursday of Mike Bibby, Christie, Bobby Jackson, Brad Miller, Ostertag, Darius Songaila, Peja Stojakovic and Chris Webber. "Then there are three more spots that most likely will be filled with guys we have in camp
Interesting statement by Petrie. Looks like Courtney may not be guarunteed after all.

These young guys must be sweating bullets. It's a little more important that waiting to be selected, or summarily rejected, from a Little League baseball team.

My guess is the the 3 players the Kings keep are Minard(can play both the 1 and 2), Barnes and either Ferguson or Parada. I think Alexander stays until Christie is healthy and then goes on the IL. They may stash one or two players on the IL other than Alexander as well.