What's on your DVR priority list?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The DVR is the greatest invention since the wheel. I can remember a long while ago when we had one member - way ahead of his time as I know now - openly praise TiVo to the point of hero worship.

I didn't understand then, but I certainly do now. I cannot imagine my life without DVR; in fact, I refuse to even think about it. I have programs I will not miss under any circumstances. Depending on the time of year, some of my listings will move up and/or down the priority list, but some have a pretty good lock on the top slots until they go into reruns for the season.

Here are my current Top 15:

1. 24
2. Bones
3. Two and a Half Men
4. NUMB3RS
5. House
6. The Big Bang Theory
7. The Office
8. ER
9. Burn Notice
10. The Beast
11. Cold Case
12. Top Chef
13. Kitchen Nightmares
14. CSI: Crime Scene Investigations
15. Dirty Jobs

What's yours?

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I have two; which one do you want? ;)

And, now that I think about it, I haven't updated my "main" DVR priority list to delete some shows which have since gone off the air; I'll have to get around to doing that...

My DVR doesn't have a priority list (oh, how I miss that feature), but the shows currently set to record are:

So You Think You Can Dance
America's Next Top Model
The Simpsons
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Project Runway (provided it comes back)
Top Chef
South Park
Life
At the Movies
Superstars of Dance (though the show sucks)
X-Play
ER
Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil

How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
NCIS
The Mentalist
House
Chuck
The Office
Psych
Monk
Numb3rs
Cold Case
Top Chef

Last edited:
how i met your mother
big bang theory
friday night lights (even though season ended wednesday)
the contender
saturday night live
the office
tyler perrys house of payne
10 items or less
tyler perrys meet the browns
old adventures of new christine
HBO real sports
rock of love
wonderland (I'm going to give it a chance, the first episode was decent)

and a few that are on my list waiting for the new season:
pros vs joes
ultimate fighter
e:60
I love money

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ah, I am so glad I never caught the TV bug. Where do you guys find the time to be tethered to that many shows a week? I don't watch a single show weekly right now and am still full up on time committments. My poor DVR gets only sporadic use, and with the advent of DVD rental services like Netflix even syndication has lost its meaning. The occasional sports event, some spanish language shows last month when I was trying to refresh my skills, some year end recap shows around New Years, the inauguration tommorow, that sort of thing.

Ah, I am so glad I never caught the TV bug. Where do you guys find the time to be tethered to that many shows a week? I don't watch a single show weekly right now and am still full up on time committments. My poor DVR gets only sporadic use, and with the advent of DVD rental services like Netflix even syndication has lost its meaning. The occasional sports event, some spanish language shows last month when I was trying to refresh my skills, some year end recap shows around New Years, the inauguration tommorow, that sort of thing.
I didn't have the bug for a long time. I would really only watch games and movies every once in a while. Then I started watching Lost on DVD, and last season had to watch it week by week. Never got into 24 or Alias or The Closer, which everyone tells me I should watch. The Office gained a spot just last year also, after watching the previous seasons on DVD. Heroes I watched mostly on the web, until last year also.

Stay away, Brick. It's one of those things where, if you don't know what you're missing, you can't really miss it, right? If anything, I'd suggest catching Lost once it wraps up after Season 6, but that's two years away.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I didn't have the bug for a long time. I would really only watch games and movies every once in a while. Then I started watching Lost on DVD, and last season had to watch it week by week. Never got into 24 or Alias or The Closer, which everyone tells me I should watch. The Office gained a spot just last year also, after watching the previous seasons on DVD. Heroes I watched mostly on the web, until last year also.

Stay away, Brick. It's one of those things where, if you don't know what you're missing, you can't really miss it, right? If anything, I'd suggest catching Lost once it wraps up after Season 6, but that's two years away.
Don't worry about me with Lost -- that was a gimmick show and I think they ran out of legitimate ideas by the end of Season 1 and were probably unbpleasantly surprised to find the show was on the air and they would have to actually figure out how to extend things.

I'm really not in much danger. ;)

I'm actually much less of a TV addict than I used to be. Very few of the shows on my list air new episodes at the same time, so it really doesn't take up very much of my time to watch them. With the exception of my DVR list, though, I'm too restless to actually sit and watch TV -- if it's on, it's purely background noise.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah, but there's another of the insidious tricks DVR has to lure you in. You're not tethered to anything because you can watch them whenever you wish, not when the network thinks you should watch them. And if you decide a couple of minutes in it's not something you're in the mood for, you can save it for later, delete it or whatever you like...you just go back to the list and see what else is there.

Going to be away? No need to worry about VHS or a DVD recorder to save that program you just have to see. Set the DVR (mine is named "Dexter" because it was that show that finally tempted me enough into upgrading my satellite service) and voila! When you get home there it is. And you can fast-forward through the silly stuff, painful stuff, ANGELA TSAI (which alone makes it worth the price), etc.

Don't worry about me with Lost -- that was a gimmick show and I think they ran out of legitimate ideas by the end of Season 1 and were probably unbpleasantly surprised to find the show was on the air and they would have to actually figure out how to extend things.

I'm really not in much danger. ;)
It certainly felt that way watching Season 2, and if not for being able to zoom through on DVD, I might have been "lost" like others were. Season 3 was slow also, but you really began to understand that there was something happening, some direction. And Season 4 was on a completely different level.

But it is a good show. Felt like a gimmick at times throughout, but it's on track right now.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm going to resist the urge to criticize this thinly-veiled "slam" on people who watch too much tv (smacks too much of the ol' "don't have a life" barbs to me), and agree with VF: the beauty of DVR is that you don't have to watch shows when you record them, or even any time particularly close to that. As it happens, I took today off (I don't work the King holiday), and I've spent all morning, until basketball came on, watching/fast-fowarding through shows that I've had on my DVR since the New Year's, as it's not as if I would have been doing anything else in the middle of the morning.

It's cool that Netflix works for you, but that's not a viable option for me, because: 1) I don't really watch movies (as you may have guessed from that movie thread, I hardly ever watch any movies except for when my kid wants to see one), 2) While I don't feel particularly compelled to watch an episode of a television program I like right then and there, I am equally disinclined to want to wait until the whole season comes out on DVD before I watch any episodes, and c) You know how you hear about those shows that come out and are canceled within the first season? Well, contrary to popular opinion, somebody is watching those shows and, as often as not, that somebody is me. In those cases, Netflix simply does not exist as an option, viable or otherwise.

And, aside from all that, I originally acquired a DVR for much more practical reasons: simply put, most of the stuff that I watch either comes on within the same three-hour block on Mondays, or within the same three-hour block on Thursdays; if I only had a standard set-top box (or, in the case of Mondays, if I only had one DVR), I'd have to decide what television shows I didn't want to watch. And, since I'm also a basketball junkie, and basketball season coincides dreadfully with each new television season, I'd have to more or less decide not to watch any television. I decided not to make that decision, so my DVRs provide much convenience.

I often use my DVR as a repository for things to watch when there's absolutely nothing else. I've had Sweeny Tood in there for a few weeks now. My husband will record anything involving tanks or trains (yes, the Military Channel is his go-to channel), and the Star Wars: Clone Wars series. Between the contents of the DVR and OnDemand, I can usually find something to watch, or listen to while playing on the computer.

The Office
Two and a half men
30 Rock
Saturday Night Live
Top Chef
Criminal Minds
Desperate Housewives
CSI: (Las Vegas Edition)
UFO Hunters
Currently not on but will be on the list:
Heroes
Survivor
Big Brother

Heroes
House
Knight Rider
Sanctuary
NCIS
Bones
Stargate Atlantis
Eureka
CSI:NY
The Dead Zone
The Legend of the Seeker (not at all like the books..)
Clean House
The Dish( my daughter and I love to laugh at this together)
Ruby (not really sure what attracts me to this show, but I enjoy it)

Apparently, with my new Vista, I have the ability to set this up. I have not bothered. The only shows that I ever watch are:

Lost
30 Days
South Park
House
Kitchen Nightmares
Jon Stewart Show
Colbert Report
News (KCRA)

The only ones that I care if I missed are Lost and 24 because it is necessary to keep up with the plot. I argue that if you can overcome the natural American tendencies to be impatient, watching these two shows are 10 times better on DVD. No commercials and you can watch it as long as you want and stop where you please, or not.

Netflix rules.

Brick, you are wrong about Lost. I gave up the first season as well. The dialogue sucked and it seemed like they did not know where they were going with the idea. I was not drawn back in till after the fourth season, when I caught up on dvd. Seriously, those who have not watched Lost have the opportunity for an incredible experience. Watching the whole thing fold out back-to-back is simply awesome. It has become clear that they have had a plan the whole time and are holding back on it in a way that has never been done before. Truly a risk with how fickle the viewing audience is these days. That experience is what led me to waiting till I can watch it all at once. 24 is way better this way as well.

Oh yeah, one more thing. For anybody that has over 18 thousand posts on an Internet message board to question how others find time to watch TV is pretty funny to say the least.

1. Lost
2. The Office
3. 24
4. House
5. Dexter
6. Entourage
5. How I Met Your Mother
6. The Simpsons
7. King of the Hill
8. The Big Bang Theory
9. ER
10. The Soup
11. Desperate Housewives
12. 30 Rock
13. Heroes (season 3 was garbage)
14. SNL
15. Late Night with Conan O'brien

Seems like Family Guy is missing....and its nice to see so many Lost and Office fans on here. You guys know good TV.

Last edited:
It occurs to me that I forgot to add The Daily Show and The Colbert Report -- they're set on the DVR I wasn't looking at when I posted my list. Also, since I've seen it on a few other lists, Dexter would be on my DVR, but one show isn't enough to make me pay for Showtime and I... erm... acquire it elsewhere.

I recently discovered I've been paying for a DVR for several months, so now I use it. Damn Comcast!

Here's my DVR favs (promise not to laugh!):

NCIS
Top Chef
CSI (Vegas)
The Mentalist
Parking Wars
My Big Redneck Wedding

I dropped "Heroes" (got boring and confusing) and will record "Hell's Kitchen" and "Dexter" when the new season arrives. "Lost" and "24" are on my catchup list because I came in late on both.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I recently had to add a second DVR to the bedroom since my wife was recording things at an alarming rate. So much that I had to stop some of them to watch the kings (whom i don't start watching until 30 min in so I can fast foward)

1. House
2. Burn Notice
3. Lipstick jungle (wife)
4. CSI
5. NCIS
6. Cold Case
7-15. random lifetime or hallmark movies (wife) now on the other DVR.

My goodness, you folks watch a lot of TV!

We set to record:

House
Boston Legal
Survivorman
Man v. Wild
Kings games when I can get them
Inauguration of Hon. Barack Obama

I watch the above... rest of the household records:

Desperate Housewives
America's Next Top Model
Project Runway
Oprah
Probably a couple more I have forgotten about :)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Kings games
Top Speed

and whatever other random show (usually on the history or discovery channels) catches my interest.....that's it.

ER
Heroes
Bizarre Foods
Man v. Wild
George Lopez
Next Food Network Star
Chuck
America's Next Top Model
America's Game (NFL Network)

I think that's all....

i dont watch a lot of tv shows but i guess this would be it:

1.) CSNET KINGS GAMES
2.) TRUEBLOOD!!!!!!(show on HBO)
3.) Dallas Cowboys Games
4.) South Park
5.) Girls Next Door
with that said..

im more into watching movies on HBO & STARZ ondemand :)