What's gonna happen when Holmes, Parker, Bagley come back?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They are going to play Bagley 30+ minutes a game when he comes back. Guaranteeeed, as Barkley likes to say. He needs reps, reps, and more reps. And after the season is over he should play in the summer league for more reps, and hopefully put him at point forward like what the Heat did with Bam and have him bring up the ball, do pick and rolls, throw half court bounce passes, whatever, just give him the experience. It doesn't matter to the Kings and it doesn't matter to me if there is a temporary dislocation in the team because of it. He's the future of the team. Period. If you don't believe it, then just trade him for a low first or a second rounder and move on with life. If you do believe it, then he's got to be played a lot. It's a binary choice. If the Kings slip from .500 ball to .400 ball for the first 10 games of his return, it's worth it. Why? Because he's the difference maker that can take the .500 team eventually to .600, or a .600 team to .700. Short term cost vs. long term gain.

Holmes is going to be played with Bagley to see if it works. If it doesn't work, then Holmes just won't be playing with Bagley, at least not now, which means his minutes could get reduced somewhat.

Parker? Who knows? He's an inside scorer, not a defender. He's the mystery man for me in all of this because I'm not smart enough to see how he fits with the rest of the team. Will he fit with Bagley and Fox? Doubtful. He can't shoot threes. I can see him fitting with Buddy and the 2nd unit, but in more of a Giles role in a small-ball scenario, which may mean less playing time for Giles. Will he get abused in the post on defense? Yeah, if the other team has a legit low post scorer, but he'll probably do ok if they don't. I know, that doesn't take switching on defense into account. My best guess is that his playing time is dependent on matchups. If he goes against a team like Houston I can see it working; they don't even have a center and he's going to abuse the smalls inside with his inside scoring. If he's going against a team like the Lakers, not so much.

They are going to play Bagley 30+ minutes a game when he comes back. Guaranteeeed, as Barkley likes to say. He needs reps, reps, and more reps. And after the season is over he should play in the summer league for more reps, and hopefully put him at point forward like what the Heat did with Bam and have him bring up the ball, do pick and rolls, throw half court bounce passes, whatever, just give him the experience. It doesn't matter to the Kings and it doesn't matter to me if there is a temporary dislocation in the team because of it. He's the future of the team. Period. If you don't believe it, then just trade him for a low first or a second rounder and move on with life. If you do believe it, then he's got to be played a lot. It's a binary choice. If the Kings slip from .500 ball to .400 ball for the first 10 games of his return, it's worth it. Why? Because he's the difference maker that can take the .500 team eventually to .600, or a .600 team to .700. Short term cost vs. long term gain.

Holmes is going to be played with Bagley to see if it works. If it doesn't work, then Holmes just won't be playing with Bagley, at least not now, which means his minutes could get reduced somewhat.

Parker? Who knows? He's an inside scorer, not a defender. He's the mystery man for me in all of this because I'm not smart enough to see how he fits with the rest of the team. Will he fit with Bagley and Fox? Doubtful. He can't shoot threes. I can see him fitting with Buddy and the 2nd unit, but in more of a Giles role in a small-ball scenario, which may mean less playing time for Giles. Will he get abused in the post on defense? Yeah, if the other team has a legit low post scorer, but he'll probably do ok if they don't. I know, that doesn't take switching on defense into account. My best guess is that his playing time is dependent on matchups. If he goes against a team like Houston I can see it working; they don't even have a center and he's going to abuse the smalls inside with his inside scoring. If he's going against a team like the Lakers, not so much.
Could not disagree more on Bags. He’s not as good as Beli—ergo, he should not start. The Bags paragraph presupposes a slip to .400 ball w/ Bags. Unfortunately, we slip to .100 ball w/ Bags, which is simply unacceptable. Bags has been on the fast track to a max extension since high school. This is his first time facing real adversity. He needs to learn from by coming off the bench and earning time and a max extension. We can’t hand anything to Bags anymore. Every time we do, team chemistry implodes—coincidence?

Bagley is going to be given every single chance to succeed, regardless of what it does to the rest of the team.
If you don’t play well with him, sucks for you.

Last edited:
Could not disagree more on Bags. He’s not as good as Beli—ergo, he should not start. The Bags paragraph presupposes a slip to .400 ball w/ Bags. Unfortunately, we slip to .100 ball w/ Bags, which is simply unacceptable. Bags has been on the fast track to a max extension since high school. This is his first time facing real adversity. He needs to learn from by coming off the bench and earning time and a max extension. We can’t hand anything to Bags anymore. Every time we do, team chemistry implodes—coincidence?
You’re missing the point. It does not matter that he’s currently not as good as Beli

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Bagley isn't sitting on the bench or coming in for 15-18 minutes a game. He's going to play big minutes as soon as he's healthy. His talent is >> Bjelica and they are going to ride him as much as they can. He isn't going to get better in the few practices they have during the season or going down to the G League. They aren't thinking about today when they play Bagley. It's irrelevant whether the 20 year old Bagley is better than the 31 year old Bjelica today. Bjelica gets them to .500 ball and they want to go much farther. Also, it's not like we are playing Thomas Robinson and giving him minutes. Bagley outplayed Bam this year and he outplayed Siakam last year. Even though he's raw, he's still going to be productive for this team.

I'm far more excited for Richaun Holmes return to the court than Marvin Bagley. I doubt that I'm alone in that thought. What's that say about those players and the situation in general?

Nothing personal against MB3, who seems like a really good guy. But I'm already worn out over his chronic injury issues and believe Holmes is more impactful.