Whatever it takes resign Mobley

P

Peja#16

That would be depressing if corey got traded to Kings because I got his clippers jersey about 2 months ago >.<

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
What about drafting Julius Hodge or Francisco Garcia to play SG? The chances of picking up a starting PF in the late first round are slim to none, but with most teams going after big men projects, there may be a chance we can get one of those guys with our pick. Both are big SGs who can play the point - that is they can pass really well. Sounds like a good fit to me. Maybe we play them (whoever we get) as backup for a season looking to start them in their second season.

on part of the original topic, I complete disagree that Mobley is a better Bobby J. First, Jackson passes when its smarter to pass than to shoot. Mobley sometimes does that, but not always. Second, Jackson can come out and play hard RIGHT away and for a lengthy time. He does not need to time get into his rhythm like Mobley(which is not a critisizm, many starters need rhythm time). Third, BJax is MUCH MUCH better on defense, either on the ball or in a zone/off the ball. Maybe Mobley comes up with steals, but that is usually off of another players hard work at cornering or blocking a guys route to the basket. Again, no diss on Cat, I do like him, but to me, hes no where near the same as BJax (someone may say I think that becuase bobby j is my fav player, and that may be part of it, but its not the whole of it)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Bricklayer said:
P.S. Not really a Harrington fan either. Put him in that same Juwan Howard/Rahim class of non-impact tweener guys. Could help with the rebounding though.
Disagree. Unlike Howard and Abdur-Rahim, Harrington has acutally proven that he can put up numbers on a good team (see 2002-2004 Indiana Pacers); Harrington was unquestionably the sixth man on a very good Pacers team, and provided them with critical depth at both forward positions, essentially "deebo"-ing Austin Croshere entirely out of the Pacer lineup. I don't hold it against him that he hasn't been able to singularly turn the Atlanta F. Hawks around.

And, at the risk of speaking ill of a Kings player, when I read your post, my initial reaction was, "but Stojakovic is?" A guy who can't create his own shot is an impact player? A guy who gets routinely shut down by defenders half his size is an impact player? I mean, I'm not saying that Harrington is really the answer, so to speak, or even an "impact player" by whatever standard you might be using. But, if Stojakovic fits the criteria for an "impact player," then I submit that you might need to re-define that expression.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Disagree. Unlike Howard and Abdur-Rahim, Harrington has acutally proven that he can put up numbers on a good team (see 2002-2004 Indiana Pacers); Harrington was unquestionably the sixth man on a very good Pacers team, and provided them with critical depth at both forward positions, essentially "deebo"-ing Austin Croshere entirely out of the Pacer lineup. I don't hold it against him that he hasn't been able to singularly turn the Atlanta F. Hawks around.

And, at the risk of speaking ill of a Kings player, when I read your post, my initial reaction was, "but Stojakovic is?" A guy who can't create his own shot is an impact player? A guy who gets routinely shut down by defenders half his size is an impact player? I mean, I'm not saying that Harrington is really the answer, so to speak, or even an "impact player" by whatever standard you might be using. But, if Stojakovic fits the criteria for an "impact player," then I submit that you might need to re-define that expression.
Fact is that if you do that trade, you are trading down not up ;)

If you ask any GM in the league who they would rather have in their team a greater percentage of them would choose Peja.

We'd better keep Mobley for his shooting, especially if Peja is going to continue to have nights like tonight. And IF we trade Peja, then we especially need to keep Mobley.

BobbyJ_for3! said:
on part of the original topic, I complete disagree that Mobley is a better Bobby J. First, Jackson passes when its smarter to pass than to shoot. Mobley sometimes does that, but not always. Second, Jackson can come out and play hard RIGHT away and for a lengthy time. He does not need to time get into his rhythm like Mobley(which is not a critisizm, many starters need rhythm time). Third, BJax is MUCH MUCH better on defense, either on the ball or in a zone/off the ball. Maybe Mobley comes up with steals, but that is usually off of another players hard work at cornering or blocking a guys route to the basket. Again, no diss on Cat, I do like him, but to me, hes no where near the same as BJax (someone may say I think that becuase bobby j is my fav player, and that may be part of it, but its not the whole of it)

I agree. Bobby, when healthy, is a better b-baller than Cat. B-Jax is an assassin much in the form of Vinny "The Microwave" Johnson. Plus Bobby plays much bigger than his size. You'd be hard pressed to name a player that plays harder or with more passion than Bobby Jackson. He's a fantastic talent with a lot of heart. :)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Čarolija said:
Fact is that if you do that trade, you are trading down not up...
Explain. What are you actually losing, besides a little three-point shooting? Name value?

Čarolija said:
... If you ask any GM in the league who they would rather have in their team a greater percentage of them would choose Peja.
That doesn't necessarily prove anything; I'd be willing to bet that a lot of GM's in the NBA would rather have Shareef Abdur-Rahim than Kenny Thomas, but that doesn't mean that Abdur-Rahim would necessarily be the right choice... Stojakovic has some gaudy shooting numbers, but you wouldn't even have to dig very deep to realize that all of his best offensive perfomances were attributed to someone else's hard work, and he doesn't really give you much else, so it's not like he's "head and shoulders" above a player like Harrington; if he's better at all, it's only by a marginal degree, and it really depends on your point of view.

LMM said:
uhmm he had surgery. and last season it was the abdominal strain. that's a tricky injury cause only the player can figure out if he's ready or not. and if you force the action, it may result in something worst (like a tear).

GP has said time and time again that he will pick up bobby's contract for next season. if it is a career ending injury, why would GP do that?
1. Because it's the right thing to do for an aging player who's played hard and given your team his best effort every time he stepped on the court

2. Because it's a cheap contract and picking up the option doesn't count against our cap - but if we don't pick it up, we "lose" that payroll space

3. Because cheap, expiring contracts are very valuable trade assets and if he's not going to play we can make good use of it

We need passing and defense back. Cat is not the answer. We also need backup pg and backup sf. We can live with pfs we have right now. We need offseason to work new players into the system. Cat will be one of them if he wants, but GP will try to trade him in that case. Mark my words.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
outsider62 said:
We need passing and defense back. Cat is not the answer. We also need backup pg and backup sf. We can live with pfs we have right now. We need offseason to work new players into the system. Cat will be one of them if he wants, but GP will try to trade him in that case. Mark my words.
I think Cat may well be here and I think he is already showing he can adapt his game to a certain extent. His passes aren't the best - yet - but he's at least attempting them occasionally. We NEED the type of spark Cat can provide AND especially if Peja is gone, we need someone who can shoot from the outside and command a double team.

I strongly suspect that efforts will be made to keep Cat.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
VF21 said:
I strongly suspect that efforts will be made to keep Cat.
I've said it before -- we can't return with Bibby/Cat/Peja/Miller and either Darius or Thomas or we suck on defense and the glass again. Not sure how that's all going to play out, but the situation has changed for us now -- status quo is no longer the order of the day on the theory we can win a title if we're just healthy. For the first time in a long time we need significant changes of some sort to realistically get back to that level.

I think the ideal situation is we get Artest and Hughes or one of them. They both are great defenders. Artest has a fire in him, albeit a crazy one. Hughes is the best stealing player in the league and can assist and rebound. I honestly think our front line is fine. There isn't much available considering we now pay Brad-8 Million, Thomas-6 Million, Skinner-5 Million and Corliss-6 million, that's 25 million just for the 4/5 and a 4/3 backup. Unless we move one of them, for I don't know who I don't know how the trade gave us more flexability. Honestly what are the moves people are thinking about. I honestly think Brad and Bibby are the only immovable parts unless a ticket like Amare or Lebron was waved in front of us or maybe KG.

So we have 2 parts:
5-Brad
1-Bibby

Now we have 10 more spots:

Hopefully these guys are definitely back:
Bobby J-Yes he's injured but I think he'll stay because he wants to prove his worth and he isn't worth that much on the open market now.
Evans-Brings alot off the bench and a good defender.
Either Thomas or Skinner-We need to keep 1 of these guys, both have performed and I think there trade values are up.
Corliss-Probally cause we can't move him, and his value isn't very high.

Trades I'd like to see happen.

Peja for Artest or similar. We need a defensive 3 who can rebound, Artest fits the bill, salaries match and he isn't too old. Other guys who wouldnt be awful are Deng who is very young but immature, Harrington, who could be a good fit and Paul Pierce, I doubt Boston will move him now that Walker is back but Peja and either Thomas/Corliss or Skinner wouldn't be too awful. Mr. Prince on Detroit also wouldn't be an awful trade. Considering he's a great stopper and now is a pretty good scorer, Detroit or someone is going to pay top dollar for this guy (S+T)

Either keep Mobley or sign and trade him for Hughes or someone similar. Hughes is the perfect candidate. Thing is I think Washington is dying to keep him and I don't think he minds staying. Guys who could replace Mobley aren't readily available other than Hughes. Joe Johnson wouldn't be a bad replacement but he's going to cost alot as well and inner division S+Ts are pretty rare.

I hate bringing this up but you guys all know the Maloofs and Petrie have high standards for this team, and early round exits aren't going to be the answer. We still have 4 very talented players who will potentially start for our team next year but I don't think a team consisting of those individuals + the rest will contending with the likes of the Spurs. We need changes, I hated the changes this year, I'll probally hate the changes next year but we can't possibly win with this roster, atleast I don't believe we can.

Bigbad, I agree with your trade ideas. I love Artest. I agree that either Skinner or Thomas has to go, I'm leaning toward Thomas myself. Maybe package Thomas Ostertag and Bobby? I'm still drooling and oogling to get Chandler.

As much as a head case as Artest appears to be. He has TONS of skill on both ends of the floor. It’s not uncommon for him to score 25 and grab 10 boards as well as being a stopper as a defender.

I am just unsure about Artest at this point. He may be great for 1/2 the season and then snap. Of course a perfect example would be Sheed. He was getting kicked out of game after game in Portland and getting T after T...now he helped the Pistons win a title.