what was the last movie you watched?

The new Borat movie. It was entertaining but not his best work. That said, the debutante ball scene had me howling hysterically for about 5 minutes. There were a few times I cringed a bit and maybe even felt bad for the people he was filming and I don't think I ever felt that with anything else he has done.

I watched the Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix. Besides being somewhat educational for me, I enjoyed the film.

Wife and I watched The Witches, new movie on HBO Max. Could have been a Disney film. Anne Hathaway had a lot of fun playing the Head Witch.

Big fan of Borat, going to watch this morning.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Had a couple of friends over for socially-distanced tri-tip and movies.

Watched Tremors: Shrieker Island at one friend's request. It was....not good. I don't know that I've seen any of these movies except maybe the first (and that didn't impress me way back then). I forgot how bad these films can be. Special effects were actually good, but it was a ripoff of Predator and Jurassic Park with bad dialogue and acting. I think they liked it more than me. I was almost laughing at it at times.

The other friend wanted to watch Project Power on Netflix. Much better, and a good job by Jamie Foxx. Nothing to write home about, but entertaining.

I chose Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - one liked it except for the ending, one didn't like it much (not his kind of flick), but definitely the best of the 3 in my opinion. ;)

I intended to watch the Blumhouse Fantasy Island tonight but apparently I no longer have access to Starz so I wound up watching Birds of Prey instead. I have yet to watch Joker but this was the best DC based movie I have seen since in ~10 years since the Nolan flicks. Under 2 hours too so right about the perfect length.

Had a couple of friends over for socially-distanced tri-tip and movies.

Watched Tremors: Shrieker Island at one friend's request. It was....not good. I don't know that I've seen any of these movies except maybe the first (and that didn't impress me way back then). I forgot how bad these films can be. Special effects were actually good, but it was a ripoff of Predator and Jurassic Park with bad dialogue and acting. I think they liked it more than me. I was almost laughing at it at times.

The other friend wanted to watch Project Power on Netflix. Much better, and a good job by Jamie Foxx. Nothing to write home about, but entertaining.

I chose Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - one liked it except for the ending, one didn't like it much (not his kind of flick), but definitely the best of the 3 in my opinion. ;)
I heard Michael gross is still in these tremors movies. He really found his niche post family ties lol
loved 3 billboards. What didn’t they like about the ending?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I heard Michael gross is still in these tremors movies. He really found his niche post family ties lol
loved 3 billboards. What didn’t they like about the ending?
He was in this one as well. As I hadn't seen any of them (except the first one, I think); I didn't realize he was in them all.

They didn't like (spoiler):

that they never found out who killed her daughter. One thought the movie was good except for that. But they both wanted payoff on that question.

The other just doesn't care for a lot of movies unless they are Star Wars, Marvel, etc. Movies like Three Billboards, Arrival, Inception, Ex Machina, etc., just are NOT in his wheelhouse.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He was in this one as well. As I hadn't seen any of them (except the first one, I think); I didn't realize he was in them all.

They didn't like (spoiler):

that they never found out who killed her daughter. One thought the movie was good except for that. But they both wanted payoff on that question.

The other just doesn't care for a lot of movies unless they are Star Wars, Marvel, etc. Movies like Three Billboards, Arrival, Inception, Ex Machina, etc., just are NOT in his wheelhouse.

Oddly enough, that's one of thing things I liked most about that film. Not everything in real life gets resolved...

The new Borat movie. It was entertaining but not his best work. That said, the debutante ball scene had me howling hysterically for about 5 minutes. There were a few times I cringed a bit and maybe even felt bad for the people he was filming and I don't think I ever felt that with anything else he has done.
I am amazed at how he can continue to infiltrate or pull off some of these scenes. The Giuliani scene made me uncomfortable but it was also funny but if this was unknown to Giuliani while it was being filmed....holy cow.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Oddly enough, that's one of thing things I liked most about that film. Not everything in real life gets resolved...
When I saw this in the theater I obviously was initially thinking that would get "resolved", but at the end of the film I appreciated that this was just showing part of the journey Frances McDormand's character was on. The same for Sam Rockwell's character.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Dad wanted to watch Amos and Andrew. He really likes the movie (he owns it), which is a bit surprising to me. I thought it was mildly entertaining but pretty formulaic. Nick Cage sure seems to be having fun in it though, and Samuel L. Jackson had a bit of a different role than I normally see him in.

Also watched Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. I didn't remember from the title if I had seen it before then remembered I had, and enjoyed watching it again. Pretty decent spy/action movie with some good set pieces and acting (I always like Chris Pine, and Kevin Costner and Kenneth Branagh did well here), but doesn't achieve greatness by any means. Kiera Knightly is a bit more hit and miss for me as an actor, and something just seemed a hair bit off with her in this one for some reason.

Teej wanted to watch some horror movies so we watched Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and Return of the Living Dead last night. The latter being a classic I insisted on, the former one he chose. He really wanted to watch It but I wasn't feeling it. Maybe we'll watch both next week. We did a lot of scrolling because I had brought some other movies down he rejected.

Today we couldn't settle on Zombieland so we scolled and saw there was a horror-based Banana Splits Movie. What? Definitely not the kids show, was impressively gory for something that originated on SyFy. It's trash, but fun trash.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I don't care for horror movies - most are one-trick ponies and I don't care for the trick. Sci-fi action/horror is as close as I get (Aliens, Predator type flicks).

October is always slim pickings for me with movies on Dish. :rolleyes:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
My little feline friends wanted to watch Cats - I told them it would be bad, but they insisted so we watched. It was as terrible and creepy as advertised, and I have no idea how it turned into a hit Broadway play except perhaps for the fact that the melody to "Memory" is probably like a top-ten all-time melody. Other than that, couldn't see a single point. Had to turn around and watch the Madonna/Banderas Evita to get the taste out of my mouth and show my kitties that Andrew Lloyd Webber actually could come up with some good stuff when he had some reasonable source material.

Dad wanted to watch Amos and Andrew. He really likes the movie (he owns it), which is a bit surprising to me. I thought it was mildly entertaining but pretty formulaic. Nick Cage sure seems to be having fun in it though, and Samuel L. Jackson had a bit of a different role than I normally see him in.

Also watched Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. I didn't remember from the title if I had seen it before then remembered I had, and enjoyed watching it again. Pretty decent spy/action movie with some good set pieces and acting (I always like Chris Pine, and Kevin Costner and Kenneth Branagh did well here), but doesn't achieve greatness by any means. Kiera Knightly is a bit more hit and miss for me as an actor, and something just seemed a hair bit off with her in this one for some reason.
lol I remember seeing Amos and Andrew In the theater . I recall enjoyed it. Long time ago though haha

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I don't think that I have seen either of the first two XXX movies, but just watched the third, XXX: Return of Xander Cage. I doubt I missed much if the third is any representation of the first two. Very little substance wrapped up in a whole bunch of silliness. o_O

Watched on Netflix, I’m thinking of ending it. Charlie Kaufman movie. I had to Google the meaning of things as many of his movies are. I had an idea of what was going on but not quite. Apparently people who had read the book still had difficulty following the movie.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Rewatched Zodiac which is still by my estimation the most underrated film of the 21st century. Fincher’s such a master of building tension that even though the subject doesn’t interest me at all, I want to see his anti-cancel culture movie just to see what he does with it.

Rewatched Zodiac which is still by my estimation the most underrated film of the 21st century. Fincher’s such a master of building tension that even though the subject doesn’t interest me at all, I want to see his anti-cancel culture movie just to see what he does with it.
was debating between that, girl with the dragon tattoo and Seven the other night: ended up going with seven. Fincher is my favorite director.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I had Zoolander in my draft, so I watched the sequel (Zoolander 2). Not as good as the original (and that is saying something), but it is still just goofy gags being played for laughs. Some work, many don't. Stick with the original.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Started watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters again while donating blood the other day and watched the rest while waiting on my wife while she was at an appointment this morning. Better than I remembered, but parts of the storyline are a bit farfetched, even for a giant radioactive monster movie. ;) Still, I like it.