what was the last movie you watched?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
We were trying to decide on which Christmas movie to watch a couple of days ago while I was on vacation and decided on Die Hard. That settles the "is it a Christmas movie" question conclusively, doesn't it?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Bumblebee - a better movie than most of the Transformers flicks; also more personal and on a smaller scale. That may be a big reason it is better - less a reliance on constant special effects and big explosions and more reliance on story and character.

I do wish that the franchise would make up it's mind on backstory and cohesiveness though, as every film seems to contradict previous ones.

I watched the Dark Tower last night. Quite enjoyed it though not familiar with the source other than I quickly deduced that the Walter was some extension of the bad from the Stand.

The First Purge on New Years. I liked the last few Purge movies but I think this one was a step below Election Year.

Deadpool 2 during my holiday break. I think these movies are quite fun despite the fact I never have had any urgency to watch them.

We saw Watson and Holmes with my mom. Movie garnered a lot of hate and talk of walk outs, but being a 44 year old child I laughed more than I should have.

Also watched a few documentaries that were mostly forgettable.

I'm scared to count mine. I do need some kind of good database program to track them though to keep me from unintentionally buying a title twice when I spot a good sale :rolleyes:
I have the Blu-ray.com app on my phone for the exact reason you just described. My collection has gotten so big I sometimes can't remember if I've purchased a movie or not.

It allows you to scan the barcode on the back of the case to easily add it to your collection. You can sort by title and all that good stuff. Its been of great assistance for sure.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I have the Blu-ray.com app on my phone for the exact reason you just described. My collection has gotten so big I sometimes can't remember if I've purchased a movie or not.

It allows you to scan the barcode on the back of the case to easily add it to your collection. You can sort by title and all that good stuff. Its been of great assistance for sure.
Hadn't thought about that, but thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. Likely have over 300+ movies myself, would be nice to have a database/list!

Hadn't thought about that, but thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. Likely have over 300+ movies myself, would be nice to have a database/list!
My collection has evolved with the times. When I was a teen I collected VHS. In my late teens/early 20's I collected DVD. Now I'm onto Blu-Ray/4K and there's no end in sight. I post on a Blu-ray forum too lol. Obviously I'm way more capable of purchasing things as an adult than I was in my younger years. I shudder thinking about how much money I must've spent in this over the years.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
My collection has evolved with the times. When I was a teen I collected VHS. In my late teens/early 20's I collected DVD. Now I'm onto Blu-Ray/4K and there's no end in sight. I post on a Blu-ray forum too lol. Obviously I'm way more capable of purchasing things as an adult than I was in my younger years. I shudder thinking about how much money I must've spent in this over the years.
Yeah, but I've divested myself of all my VHS (I think...) and my current library is both DVD and BR. I had a list I made in a spreadsheet a long time ago....

Ha! Found it! In 2003 I had 129 movies. I was even keeping track of the studio, rating, WS/P&S, audio format, length, year, etc.

I must really have been bored to put all that together....

Yeah, but I've divested myself of all my VHS (I think...) and my current library is both DVD and BR. I had a list I made in a spreadsheet a long time ago....

Ha! Found it! In 2003 I had 129 movies. I was even keeping track of the studio, rating, WS/P&S, audio format, length, year, etc.

I must really have been bored to put all that together....
I am both amazed and impressed that you managed to find a spreadsheet dating back to 2003. That reminds me that I used to organize my collection by color. Yea... I used to organized the spines in a way that the colors lined up. Did it look cool? Yea. Was it practical? Not by any sense of the imagination.

Deep Red (1975) dir. by Dario Argento
I’ve been watching a lot of Italian Giallo films lately, and just watched this one last night.
I think this is one of the best I’ve seen so far.

I watched Tower Heist last night. I think it was the second Ben Stiller movie we watched in a week or so. Kind of a loaded cast which was fun at times but not a remarkable movie.

Looking at just my BluRay collection it's about 600 movies right now. I moved to 4k last year when I bought a 65" LG OLED and am looking at catching the home theater up in the next year. 4k/3D/Atmos.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I am both amazed and impressed that you managed to find a spreadsheet dating back to 2003. That reminds me that I used to organize my collection by color. Yea... I used to organized the spines in a way that the colors lined up. Did it look cool? Yea. Was it practical? Not by any sense of the imagination.
Here is a sample. Yes, I'm an engineer. Way too organized for my own good sometimes. I don't get rid of much. But I also don't have some of these movies any more. I think we've purged a few times over the years....

1549865780820.png

Bohemian Rhapsody last night. Everything is so very wrong with this movie and yet I loved it. I kind of hate myself for loving it. And I'm kind of psyched for the Elton John movie next. Bring it on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bohemian Rhapsody last night. Everything is so very wrong with this movie and yet I loved it. I kind of hate myself for loving it. And I'm kind of psyched for the Elton John movie next. Bring it on.
I love Queen. I want to see this movie but I'm kind of afraid to see this movie. Will I, as a longtime fan, be disappointed?

I love Queen. I want to see this movie but I'm kind of afraid to see this movie. Will I, as a longtime fan, be disappointed?
I feel like I know you well enough to say I think you will like it. Because I did like it despite some pretty major flaws, it is a fun movie and if you love the music and want a new way of enjoying them for two hours, you'll like it. It's a bit more like a 2-hour Lip Sync Battle than a true biography, but if you can accept that and not focus on the negative you should dig the movie.

I laughed when I was supposed to laugh, cried despite feeling that the movie was being emotionally manipulative, etc. I think it was engineered to appeal to the widest possible audience and I suspect that these rock star biopics are about to become a huge part of the Hollywood blockbuster formula. Which is to say despite everything wrong with it, it works.

That said - here's my issues - spoilered so folks can make up their own mind before engaging:
a) Historical inaccuracies up the wazzooo, from the timeline of songs being released and recorded fitting the movie narrative rather than reality, to the rather huge bit about the AIDS reveal coming in the build up to Live Aid just unnecessary.

To that end, the movie pretty much runs with every biopic trope imaginable which I think is unnecessary.

b) Dealing with Mercury's sexuality. Uh, this whole movie is a flashback to 70s/80s in every way, unfortunately that also includes the approach to this matter. Almost every homosexual character is some kind of devil/temptation thing going on and his true love is shown as female. There's also a sequence that pretty much screams "do gay things and get aids". How is this possible in 2018/19???

c) This movie should really be "R" rated. There's some white powder residue in a scene or two, and ok I guess we all get the gist that these guys like to party (or Freddy did, per this portrayal), but it's really whitewashed.

and d) It's also pretty clear that the whole story has been whitewashed in favor of May/Taylor to portray them in the most favorable light. Not exactly shocking, but still frustratingly obvious.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I feel like I know you well enough to say I think you will like it. Because I did like it despite some pretty major flaws, it is a fun movie and if you love the music and want a new way of enjoying them for two hours, you'll like it. It's a bit more like a 2-hour Lip Sync Battle than a true biography, but if you can accept that and not focus on the negative you should dig the movie.

I laughed when I was supposed to laugh, cried despite feeling that the movie was being emotionally manipulative, etc. I think it was engineered to appeal to the widest possible audience and I suspect that these rock star biopics are about to become a huge part of the Hollywood blockbuster formula. Which is to say despite everything wrong with it, it works.

That said - here's my issues - spoilered so folks can make up their own mind before engaging:
a) Historical inaccuracies up the wazzooo, from the timeline of songs being released and recorded fitting the movie narrative rather than reality, to the rather huge bit about the AIDS reveal coming in the build up to Live Aid just unnecessary.

To that end, the movie pretty much runs with every biopic trope imaginable which I think is unnecessary.

b) Dealing with Mercury's sexuality. Uh, this whole movie is a flashback to 70s/80s in every way, unfortunately that also includes the approach to this matter. Almost every homosexual character is some kind of devil/temptation thing going on and his true love is shown as female. There's also a sequence that pretty much screams "do gay things and get aids". How is this possible in 2018/19???

c) This movie should really be "R" rated. There's some white powder residue in a scene or two, and ok I guess we all get the gist that these guys like to party (or Freddy did, per this portrayal), but it's really whitewashed.

and d) It's also pretty clear that the whole story has been whitewashed in favor of May/Taylor to portray them in the most favorable light. Not exactly shocking, but still frustratingly obvious.
Thank you.

A couple of the spoilers don't surprise me but they do disappoint me in some respects.

a) This happens so often I just try and ignore it unless it's so blatant it ruins the flow of the film.
b) I'll have to watch and see what you mean.
c) Films are becoming so casual I think R is becoming more and more diluted.
d) I read some rumors to that effect. I guess with their newfound popularity (thanks in no small part to Adam Lambert) they are a little afraid to be too honest?

Thank you.

A couple of the spoilers don't surprise me but they do disappoint me in some respects.

a) This happens so often I just try and ignore it unless it's so blatant it ruins the flow of the film.
b) I'll have to watch and see what you mean.
c) Films are becoming so casual I think R is becoming more and more diluted.
d) I read some rumors to that effect. I guess with their newfound popularity (thanks in no small part to Adam Lambert) they are a little afraid to be too honest?
re: b) it felt like a film celebrating a flamboyantly queer character was guilty of major homophobia. There are two scenes that spring to mind as being over the top bad, I'm sure you will recognize them right away.

re: d) it's really hard to determine any motivation, which again makes the fact that it is so blatantly presenting Freddie as a party monster caught up in his demons with May/Rogers as family men and innocent bystanders is ludicrous. On top of that both May/Rogers put out solo/side work before Mercury did, yet Freddie's solo project is presented as the break up of the band. Silly. Petty? Both?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
re: b) it felt like a film celebrating a flamboyantly queer character was guilty of major homophobia. There are two scenes that spring to mind as being over the top bad, I'm sure you will recognize them right away.

re: d) it's really hard to determine any motivation, which again makes the fact that it is so blatantly presenting Freddie as a party monster caught up in his demons with May/Rogers as family men and innocent bystanders is ludicrous. On top of that both May/Rogers put out solo/side work before Mercury did, yet Freddie's solo project is presented as the break up of the band. Silly. Petty? Both?
And it is stuff like this that really turns me off to "based on the real thing" movies. It absolutely chaps my hide that they feel like they are free to change "real life" stuff to make something interesting or push an agenda. Look, I get it. It's a movie. You have time constraints and you will have to make up dialogue to tell the story. But don't intentionally fundamentally change the story in doing so if you are "basing it in reality". I refuse to watch certain movies just for this reason. This is one of them. Just a very personal pet peeve.

And it is stuff like this that really turns me off to "based on the real thing" movies. It absolutely chaps my hide that they feel like they are free to change "real life" stuff to make something interesting or push an agenda. Look, I get it. It's a movie. You have time constraints and you will have to make up dialogue to tell the story. But don't intentionally fundamentally change the story in doing so if you are "basing it in reality". I refuse to watch certain movies just for this reason. This is one of them. Just a very personal pet peeve.
Yeah, it can be frustrating. I watched American Made which was a totally fictitious account of a real story. I found it enjoyable, but it also made no bones that it was a totally fake version of the story. It's kind of weird though when some of the people portrayed are alive, have cameos in the movie, and portray it as the true story.