what was the last movie you watched?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Since Thor: Ragnarok finally made it to Netflix, I finally got around to watching it last night. It didn't crack my Top 5 MCU movie list, but I figured that it would be a better use of my time than watching Game 4 of the Finals.

I watched John Wick and John Wick Chapter 2 this weekend. Really enjoyed them both despite some people hating the second and advising me to skip it. I had apparently confused them with John Carter and thought it took place on Mars. Heh. Also despite buying the 4k copies for some reason they put the first movie regular Blu-Ray in the main spot and I watched that instead ... ooops.

I may have plans to see Ocean's 8 tomorrow. It looks dumb. Things I do for friends.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Wife and I went to see Oceans 8 tonight - cute movie, nothing spectacular, good acting, and I've always liked Anne Hathaway for some reason. She does a good job in this one as well. Same goes for Sandra Bullock.

So... I did see Ocean's 8. It was the formula. First one still probably the best. But this wasn't the Ocean's version of Ghostbusters either.

Then saw Incredibles 2. I am not in love with Pixar cashing in on sequels but when they get it right they get it right and this one was fun. It's rare my kiddo makes me go to the movies after a long work week and I don't just conk out midway through the flick.

Lastly I saw Tag. My son tells me that his teacher's brother was one of the people that inspired the movie and I was like, yeah right, but apparently it is true. I got what I wanted out of this, which was some silly escapes, gags and a nice night out. Worth it if you have moviepass.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: Because we have an active Movie Draft going, I am temporarily locking this thread. A couple of posts that were made (and deleted) will be restored once the draft is over.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Since this thread was closed I caught:

Incredibles 2 - If you liked the first one, this one is in the same vein and very well done. Whole family really liked it.
Hotel Artemis - Went on a whim and dad and I generally enjoyed it, especially due to the excellent cast and interesting premise.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Dumber than most of the others, but it's dinosaurs on the big screen so what do you expect? Turn off your brain and enjoy.
Ant Man and the Wasp (3 times) - Didn't plan on going 3 times, but that's the way it worked out. I think it was better than the first one overall, and definitely stay for the first credits scene after the movie! It will help tie it in to the rest of the Marvel universe goings-on.
Skyscraper - It's the Rock and a tall building. You can indeed tell a book by it's cover this time. Bits and pieces (situations, etc.) kind of reminded me of Die Hard, but it was just likely because it is a heist movie in a tall building. ;) And I REALLY enjoyed seeing Neve Campbell acting again. I just really like her personality on screen, and she and the Rock were a joy to watch in this one.
Mission Impossible: Fallout - Possibly the best overall MI movie (I don't know that I have seen them all), but still consists of Tom Cruise doing crazy stunts and a little switcharoo with face masks here and there. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would, despite the obvious drawbacks in the over-Hollywood-ness of the stunts, etc., in the films.

Holy cow, I saw a lot of movies in the past 6± weeks.

MOD NOTE: Because we have an active Movie Draft going, I am temporarily locking this thread. A couple of posts that were made (and deleted) will be restored once the draft is over.
was my deleted post restored? I don't think it was. I know I saw Ocean's 8 and a few others (Tag, Incredibles??).

uhhh... since the great movie pass outage I did manage to see two flicks:

Teen Titans Go to the Movies: whoah, unexpected kid's flick turned out super meta and pretty great. Maybe I just went in with zero expectations since my kid drug me to it.

Spy Who Dumped Me: well, the Spy (Melissa McCarthy) was similar and way better. It had some moments but was dumbedy dumb. but hey Movie Pass worked on that night and I got to hang with a friend I hadn't seen much of.

I picked up quite a few 4k Blu-Rays lately. Watched the last two Purge movies which were fun (in anticipation of First Purge which I got shut out of).

Also watched Baby Driver when we failed to get into Sorry to Bother You one night. Hey, another unexpected zero-expectations gem. Fun cast and some cool car chases.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
was my deleted post restored? I don't think it was. I know I saw Ocean's 8 and a few others (Tag, Incredibles??).

uhhh... since the great movie pass outage I did manage to see two flicks:

Teen Titans Go to the Movies: whoah, unexpected kid's flick turned out super meta and pretty great. Maybe I just went in with zero expectations since my kid drug me to it.

Spy Who Dumped Me: well, the Spy (Melissa McCarthy) was similar and way better. It had some moments but was dumbedy dumb. but hey Movie Pass worked on that night and I got to hang with a friend I hadn't seen much of.

I picked up quite a few 4k Blu-Rays lately. Watched the last two Purge movies which were fun (in anticipation of First Purge which I got shut out of).

Also watched Baby Driver when we failed to get into Sorry to Bother You one night. Hey, another unexpected zero-expectations gem. Fun cast and some cool car chases.
Deleted posts have been undeleted. Thanks for the reminder - I totally forgot. Kind of stressful and mind-boggling living up here in the middle of a very dry forest right now. ;)

Gymkata
Some movies are so bad they're good. Well, Gymkata is so bad it's amazing. This period in cinema had lots of ridiculous movies about how being good at martial arts could save the world. But Gymkata manages to out farfetch (v.) them all. The plot is crazy. The acting is terrible. The directing is as bad or worse. There are countless flaws to pick at and they only get worse as the movie continues. For some reason the end result is a very enjoyable film. There's a perfect cherry on top at the very end too. But if you look the movie up before viewing, it might get spoiled.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
The Spy Who Dumped Me - my wife enjoyed it, I thought it was just OK. Some parts are pretty funny, but in general I think Kate McKinnon dragged it down. Like her character in the movie said, she tries too hard. And it makes many of her scenes just not funny. Maybe that was somewhat intentional (given she actually says it in the movie), but it didn't work for me.

The Spy Who Dumped Me - my wife enjoyed it, I thought it was just OK. Some parts are pretty funny, but in general I think Kate McKinnon dragged it down. Like her character in the movie said, she tries too hard. And it makes many of her scenes just not funny. Maybe that was somewhat intentional (given she actually says it in the movie), but it didn't work for me.
I think she's fairly talented but mostly wasted here. Surely they can find something better for her.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
The Predator - writing is pretty mediocre, some parts of the dialogue just really made no sense, action is decent but not enough to overcome the rest of the shortfalls - just a blah of a movie.

The closest I've come to a movie lately is the documentary It Might Get Loud, which I originally saw a couple of years ago. Three generations of great guitarists -- Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White -- get together to swap stories, talk about influences, and play together. Wonderful stuff. A favorite moment of mine is the looks of delight on the faces of the other two when Jimmy is showing them how to do the Whole Lotta Love riff.

The closest I've come to a movie lately is the documentary It Might Get Loud, which I originally saw a couple of years ago. Three generations of great guitarists -- Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White -- get together to swap stories, talk about influences, and play together. Wonderful stuff. A favorite moment of mine is the looks of delight on the faces of the other two when Jimmy is showing them how to do the Whole Lotta Love riff.
If you want to watch a good music documentary, check out "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". You will not be disappointed.

If you want to watch a good music documentary, check out "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". You will not be disappointed.
Thanks -- I'll look for that one -- anything good about music history.

One other music documentary worth mentioning is Tom Dowd and the Language of Music. Tom Dowd was a physics student at Columbia in the 40's and worked on the Manhattan Project, but ultimately decided to go into music production. In addition to recording artists as diverse as John Coltrane, Ray Charles and the Allman Brothers, his science background led him to make several improvements in the technology of recording music (like the sliders on a control board, for example). So it's about the evolution of the music but also about the evolution of the technology used to record it. You see 4 jazz artists recording with one microphone, direct to master, in the 40's, and then the evolution to a modern studio. Well worth the time for any music lover.

Thanks -- I'll look for that one -- anything good about music history.

One other music documentary worth mentioning is Tom Dowd and the Language of Music. Tom Dowd was a physics student at Columbia in the 40's and worked on the Manhattan Project, but ultimately decided to go into music production. In addition to recording artists as diverse as John Coltrane, Ray Charles and the Allman Brothers, his science background led him to make several improvements in the technology of recording music (like the sliders on a control board, for example). So it's about the evolution of the music but also about the evolution of the technology used to record it. You see 4 jazz artists recording with one microphone, direct to master, in the 40's, and then the evolution to a modern studio. Well worth the time for any music lover.
Sounds really interesting.
Standing in the Shadows of Motown is about the Funk Brothers. They are the musicians who played the music for the tracts for all the great artists of Motown music. They interview all the the ones still alive while telling their story. They intersperse a live concert of them playing for current day singers throughout.

Sounds really interesting.
Standing in the Shadows of Motown is about the Funk Brothers. They are the musicians who played the music for the tracts for all the great artists of Motown music. They interview all the the ones still alive while telling their story. They intersperse a live concert of them playing for current day singers throughout.
Yeah, the Funk Brothers are on the short list of people who've been copied so much that people who hear them now for the first time wonder what's the big deal.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Venom. Wasn't expecting much but that is about what I got. ;) It's a Marvel movie, but by Sony (see: older Spiderman movies).

I really think Tom Hardy did a good job. Michelle Williams, too. But the story was a little plain and it is an origin story, so it was a bit slow getting going. Not knowing anything about Venom from the comics, I was going in "blind" on this one. I don't know how closely it kept to the characters, but the story itself and some of the action scenes were just OK. I would have liked to see what could have been done by Marvel itself with this one.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
A "Marvel" movie. You should have said it like that. :p

Venom is a character whose origin story is inextricably tied to Spider-Man, and Sony made a movie about Venom that didn't have Spider-Man in it.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
A "Marvel" movie. You should have said it like that. :p

Venom is a character whose origin story is inextricably tied to Spider-Man, and Sony made a movie about Venom that didn't have Spider-Man in it.
Yeah, but the Marvel movies Sony has put out haven't been that great by Marvel standards. That's the reason I qualified it that way. :)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
The Girl in the Spider's Web - Wanted to catch a movie and this was one of the few playing that even sounded interesting. I've had one day off over the past 3 weeks (worked most of today and will tomorrow as well - this gets a little old sometimes).

I haven't read any of the books or watched the other movies. Went into it "blind", so to speak.

Anyways, I liked the vibe and the cinematography was good, but some parts seemed "staged" and the plot point that the movie turned on was a bit weird. Wasn't a bad move at all, just a bit "off" in certain ways.

Her sister decided to stay with their dad, knowing he was a creep, and then blames her for not rescuing her when she tried to get her sister to go with her to begin with? And that is the big motivator for the sister???

Walt; The Man Behind The Myth (2016)

Loved it.

As crazy as it might sound I've probably seen 1000 movies this year already(I have a lot of screens...) Been going thru directors whole catalogues.. so I'll be bombarding this thread with posts. I'll keep em short. Documentaries probably my favorite sub-genre.