What position on the Kings roster is most weak?

The first two games against the Sonics have highlighted the Kings inability to contain Ray Allen and the inablity to do anything in the paint offensively or defensively.

Based on that and comparing our team to others, the two positions on the Kings roster that are in need of a change are:

C-Center
SG-Shooting Guard

I know Brad Miller plays the position of center, but I think he takes the PF spot since Webber is gone. Miller relies more on outside shooting and does not have the defensive skills (shot blocking and overall athleticism) to really be a force in the paint.

With him having the PF spot, we are left with an undersized center (Skinner) or one that can only take up space in the paint (Ostertag) and be a big liability ballhandling-wise.

The other weakness the Kings have is at the guard position. Bibby is a great offensive talent, but not known for defending well. Before we had Doug Christie to balance that out by handling the defense. Mobley is not the defender Christie was. Offensively he is better, but he also relies a lot on jump shooting like the rest of the team does. The SG spot needs a player who along with being a good defender, can penetrate the defense and score in the paint with lay-ups or get to the foul line often.

In this series against the Sonics, the only adjustments the Kings can make now with the roster that they have is use Bobby Jackson more often as SG.

However for the long term I think both of these weaknesses need to be addressed via trades or free agent signings. If there was only one position I could change, I would say it's more important to get a Center since size and defense/athleticism is something the Kings have always lacked.

PF - I disagree that Miller should be considered a PF, and I think that a true power forward that better meets the teams need is what is most required. However, it would be just fine if through trades and/or free agency another position was upgraded to meet those needs instead.

Well............huh.............lets see...............EVERY position especially the head coaching position.

Do you know how bad it is to live in "Sonic Country" and being a Kings fan? It blows!!!

I cannot believe we are losing to this team. Unbelievable!!!

I STILL BELIEVE IN .........AH FORGET IT!

pilot305 said:
Well............huh.............lets see...............EVERY position especially the head coaching position.

Do you know how bad it is to live in "Sonic Country" and being a Kings fan? It blows!!!

I cannot believe we are losing to this team. Unbelievable!!!

I STILL BELIEVE IN .........AH FORGET IT!
Haha, I know how you feel. Moved up here (to Seattle) 2 years ago and been braggin how the Kings are superior to everyone... boy are my buddies making me eat my words now. I agree with you... it all starts at the head coaching position.

ultraman206 said:
Haha, I know how you feel. Moved up here (to Seattle) 2 years ago and been braggin how the Kings are superior to everyone... boy are my buddies making me eat my words now. I agree with you... it all starts at the head coaching position.
Yea it's all the coaches fault by far. It has nothing to due with an uncohesive team that's never player together before, 2 injured players trying to get their groove back, the starter's inability to perform, overall bad shooting, Peja's inability to even think of taking a shot in the 4th quarter.....

Yea forget all those things.

Just replace the coach and all will be fine.

Brilliant.

uolj said:
PF - I disagree that Miller should be considered a PF, and I think that a true power forward that better meets the teams need is what is most required. However, it would be just fine if through trades and/or free agency another position was upgraded to meet those needs instead.

The thing is Brad Miller is accustomed to doing the same things Webber did which are pass the ball, rebound, and shoot jumpers. He's not as good as Webber was, but managed to fill that spot well when Webber was injured. Plus having another guy on the team who is 7 feet tall would be great.

Again, I'm usually an Adelman supporter, but right now there is no emphasis on defense. I know Dallas is not doing well right now, but they had been pretty good defensively until now. If Avery Johnson can take those offensive-minded players and make them decent defenders, our players can be coached to play better defense too. Yes, we've got many other problems in this series, but I just can't believe that the Sonics are being made to look as good as they do. I think Adelman should be commended on his success with this team over the years, but I feel that if he can't bring us a more defensive-minded team with all of the different players we've had through the years, then someone else should be brought it who can. We can't continue to use the excuse that "these are offensive-minded players". Defense wins championships...bottom line.

King4Life said:
The thing is Brad Miller is accustomed to doing the same things Webber did which are pass the ball, rebound, and shoot jumpers. He's not as good as Webber was, but managed to fill that spot well when Webber was injured. Plus having another guy on the team who is 7 feet tall would be great.
Yeah, but just because Webber did those things as a PF doesn't mean Miller has to. Divac also did those things as a center. I agree that another 7 footer would be nice, but I would settle for somebody athletic who is 6'10" or taller. Few teams have two tall athletes, so whatever position you want to call it you have Miller play the slower, more physical one and the new PF play the quicker one.

uolj said:
Yup... i think thats one reason why i think we arent doing very well.

Brad's a center, not a PF. He's a better center than he is a PF, do you want him guarding Shawn Marion? Well.. I guess you don't want him guarding amare either. Anyway, we've got to pair Brad with someone 6"10+ with blocking ability and the strength to not get pushed around in the post. I'd like a little low post game, but that's not really even necessary. I'm really asking for a "slightly" more skilled Brian Skinner that's 3 inches taller. THat would be perfect.

King4Life said:
The first two games against the Sonics have highlighted the Kings inability to contain Ray Allen and the inablity to do anything in the paint offensively or defensively.

Based on that and comparing our team to others, the two positions on the Kings roster that are in need of a change are:

C-Center
SG-Shooting Guard

I know Brad Miller plays the position of center, but I think he takes the PF spot since Webber is gone. Miller relies more on outside shooting and does not have the defensive skills (shot blocking and overall athleticism) to really be a force in the paint.

With him having the PF spot, we are left with an undersized center (Skinner) or one that can only take up space in the paint (Ostertag) and be a big liability ballhandling-wise.

The other weakness the Kings have is at the guard position. Bibby is a great offensive talent, but not known for defending well. Before we had Doug Christie to balance that out by handling the defense. Mobley is not the defender Christie was. Offensively he is better, but he also relies a lot on jump shooting like the rest of the team does. The SG spot needs a player who along with being a good defender, can penetrate the defense and score in the paint with lay-ups or get to the foul line often.

In this series against the Sonics, the only adjustments the Kings can make now with the roster that they have is use Bobby Jackson more often as SG.

However for the long term I think both of these weaknesses need to be addressed via trades or free agent signings. If there was only one position I could change, I would say it's more important to get a Center since size and defense/athleticism is something the Kings have always lacked.

Tyson Chandler is the only guy I can think of to take that PF/C spot. I can't think of any others that the Kings can possibly get.

Last edited:
D

Double E

How about pf, the sg has brout us back into each of the last two blowouts...Mobley game 1, House game 2.

Is Mobley the new whipping boy for "Peja" fans......

D

Double E

King4Life said:
Tyson Chandler is the only guy I can think of to take that PF/C spot. I can't think of any others that the Kings can possibly get.
What the heck has he done since he's been in the league. Could there be a more overrated free agent?

I don't know how people can say SG is the most pressing need. Sure, I can understand saying you want an upgrade from Mobley, but there's no way that Thomas is better at PF than he is at SG. I agree that if we got a better center we could move Brad to PF- last year he started next to Vlade, and that worked fine. I would prefer, however, to grab a good PF in the offseason. (Antoine Walker, Tyson Chandler and Vlad are all FAs this summer, as well as the potential to gain players through a trade) I would disagree about the need to focus on defense so much- first, our offense nearly got us a ring in 02, and the Suns model this year has put them in a great position to win themselves. Our biggest need, in my view, is rebounding. We can still shoot the ball and run a great offense, but at the rate we give up rebounds it doesn't matter. If we had a great rebounding presence that would make a world of difference, giving us second chance opportunities and preventing trips in which we give up 3 or 4 offensive rebounds before the opponents score.

Without assigning a position since Brad is a high post Center on a team that wants to spread out and benefit from motion for cuts to the hoop or open jumpers I think we need a shotblocker to deter penetrators who have gotten past Bibby and a scorer (SG or SF) who is a money scorer (not shooter, there's a difference) and good defensively, quick afoot, pereferably 6'6" - 6'8", who can get back in transition D while Mike is penetrating. Swift and Pierce?

If you try to move Brad to the PF position, you'll need to get a versatile center. It's much easier to get a versatile PF than a center. Most Cs aren't able to pass or shoot very well (let alone both).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Zyphen said:
If you try to move Brad to the PF position, you'll need to get a versatile center. It's much easier to get a versatile PF than a center. Most Cs aren't able to pass or shoot very well (let alone both).
I'm wondering though whether we are even going to try, or even should try, to continue the dual passing big man attack that defined us for so many years. Better to try to get somebody who is great at SOMETHING, than to go out there and get a middling talent who might fit "the system". The system is cool, but it succeeded so well with big guys who were GREAT passers/versatile inside/out threats. At the point the system causes you to end up bringing in less talented players to replace those guys, rather than getting guys who really excel at something, think you should really look at retooling the system to take advantage of more talented players' strengths rather than becoming more committed to the system than to winning.

As for the overall topic, obviously we have traded away our long time OG and PF this year, and let our long time C go this offseason. So its no surprise that those are the areas of concern and weakness. I think Cat is a more established and more credible threat than any of our non-Brad big men (but actually INCLUDING Brad right now coming off of injury), but problem is that he's a poor fit unless we try to rebuild in a different direction.

Last edited:
SG and PF. With Pedja, Bibby and (healthy) Brad we will have enough offense, skill and Princeton veterans. Add rebounding, blocking and hustle at PF (Chandler) and defense oriented SG (Artest) and we are immediately championship contenders.

I reckon, with that team, Bibby's defense and Pedja's lack of hustle suddenly are non issues. Chandler could set picks for Bibby and screens for Pedja all night long. No one would drive to the paint with Chandler there (that is why he doesn't get that many blocks per game - nobody challenges him), and even if they dared they would have to get by Artest first.

I am allowed to dream, aren't I? ;)

Center. We play very undersized because of the PF's we play at center making us move everyone a step up from what they are suppose to be playing. Sometimes two, like Corliss at C.

As usual, Brick has a thoughtful analysis. I will say that we have at least partly moved away from the two big man passing game. We now have a one big man passing game. Unfortunately, our main big man is also our main defensive weakness. I said the same thing in the Mobley's future thread, but he's too small to handle the Shaqs, and too slow and "gravitationally challenged" to deal with the smaller guys.

Tag can't jump, Miller can't jump, and Peja can't jump. Add in a small OG and a middling defender PG and that makes for a layup and rebounding buffet for the other team. Skinner is not outside threat, so he does not work as a high post PF. Thomas is too small for PF. Makes a pretty good SF. However, we also have Corliss. Man, can we keep Tag and Miller, and trade Skinner, Thomas and Corliss for one good PF? IF there's an injury, Darius can move in to the PF or SF spot.

If we get rid of Tag, we no longer have a REALLY big man to deal with Miami and SA. I'm sure there are better ideas floating around than mine. My sympathies to the Kings front office staff.

Last edited: