What is your backup PG tiers?

The top backups would be starters on some teams.
So Rubio, Beverly, Collison, and Brogdon would fall into that area, top 30 or so PGs.

Then there's the guys who are good backups, below average starters, or backups unproven as starters, George Hill, Derrick Rose, and Rozier.

There's guys who shouldn't be starters but rotation players on most teams, like TJ McConnell, Cory Joseph, Rondo, and Lin. I would put Yogi here.

Mason would be a couple tiers below, strictly third string point guards and fringe gleague. I don't think he is real competition for Yogi at this point, and I don't see much upside. I'd rather get a veteran mentor 3rd PG if they decide Yogi is the backup.

Ideally, Yogi would be a third PG and insurance/ spark plug. I could see the team making the playoffs with him as the primary backup, but if Fox missed any time the team will be stretched thin.

I just wanna put in a big vote of confidence for Cory Joseph, again. Someone like Brogdon, is certainly gonna cost considerably more than Joseph Brogdon really isn't that much younger than Joseph either despite a massive experience gap..

For those who need a refresher of why Co Jo is a top candidate; Just look at the finals and see Fred Van Vleet, who's been great. Joseph is even bigger than Van Vleet, he's got massive hands for a 6'2 guard. He can shoot... He's been around AND he's still fairly young, 27 years old and he's got low-tread on those tires... Very ver very good defender... He cannot fail here other than complete mental breakdown, our team/supporting cast is too good and he's really consistent.

Van Vleet is more of a pure PG than Cory Joseph who's really a combo guard, but that makes him an even better match with all our backcourt guys imo. I kinda think he could fill part of the void left by Shumpert too. Joseph is tough as nails. His 3pt shooting dipped this year too, their offense was broken after the oladipo injury, perhaps he could be on sale? no doubt tho he wont come cheap cheap, his services will be bid on by many, solid rotation player..

The Draft is 10 days away!!!

THERE'S still hope Darius Garland inexplicably tumbles down the board and we trade up for him to reunite him with Marvin from the We Can All Go AAU team....

and he can hold down the backup PG spot from day1 with ease, and actually we'd have secured our Franchise PG and Backup for the 2020's..

But yeah... It's looking more and more like that sort of scenario isn't gonna happen and a backup PG isn't gonna materialize from this draft... So it's gonna be solved in FA, maybe..

Wiley old Pat Bev would be hilarious. Y'all know De'Aaron loves Pat Bev. I remember around the time of the 2017 draft De'Aaron made a comment that Patrick BEverly woulda been the best player in the league 50 years ago, something along those lines.

It would be a strong vote of confidence in the kings core if Pat BEv signs here... I'd imagine he wants to win... ultra competitor

Last edited:
Do we have enough $$$ to throw at D'Angelo Russell? If Barnes opts out then yes I believe..

Lets just sign him, and pray the NEts sign KD and Kyrie and dont match.. backup PG by committee. With D'Angelo russell here in the starting lineup next to Fox and Buddy, we can do the "3rd string PG as the backup" like last year NOooooo problem, bring back yogi.. Those backup minutes will mostly be garbage minutes, the Kings are a top-4 seed in the west, and that might be underselling it if KD goes East...

D'Lo has gotta exist in a teir all by himself way above the rest... No???

Do i even have to remind people of that historic 4th quarter comeback? D'Angelo Russell would serve as the best possible insurance the Kings could buy going into Bogdans RFA next summer.

D'angelo russell on the Kings would also mean the holy trinity of young lefties is complete. fox, d'lo and marvin as good of a lefty trio as you'll find in nba history on any team i'd imagine..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Draft is 10 days away!!!

THERE'S still hope Darius Garland inexplicably tumbles down the board and we trade up for him to reunite him with Marvin from the We Can All Go AAU team....

and he can hold down the backup PG spot from day1 with ease, and actually we'd have secured our Franchise PG and Backup for the 2020's..

But yeah... It's looking more and more like that sort of scenario isn't gonna happen and a backup PG isn't gonna materialize from this draft... So it's gonna be solved in FA, maybe..

Wiley old Pat Bev would be hilarious. Y'all know De'Aaron loves Pat Bev. I remember around the time of the 2017 draft De'Aaron made a comment that Patrick BEverly woulda been the best player in the league 50 years ago, something along those lines.

It would be a strong vote of confidence in the kings core if Pat BEv signs here... I'd imagine he wants to win... ultra competitor
There is no way on God's earth that Garland slides down far enough for us to grab. He'd never make it past the Sun's at 6 if for some reason the Lakers or the Cav's pass on him. He'd never get past the Wiz at 9 either. So unless we could pull off some kind of deal to move up into the high lottery, I doubt there's any chance he wears a Kings uni..

There is no way on God's earth that Garland slides down far enough for us to grab. He'd never make it past the Sun's at 6 if for some reason the Lakers or the Cav's pass on him. He'd never get past the Wiz at 9 either. So unless we could pull off some kind of deal to move up into the high lottery, I doubt there's any chance he wears a Kings uni..
Hahahahha I know man I just wanted to post the footage with Garland and Marvin and kinda make the point that it doesnt really seem the backup PG is going to be solved at the draft.

It stinks Dotson withdrew, for this purpose at-least, I'd have vouched for him... The big pull-out was Ayo Dosunmu tho, i'd have been all aboard that hype train.

No result from this draft would make the Bagley camp happeir tho,somehow snagging Garland... Marvin would be singing zippitty-do-dah

Seems like we're gonna have a run on PG's in the lottery then its gonna go dry til somewhere in the 2nd rd...

Divac deserves exec of the year if we get Darius Garland in this draft tho, it would be by way of highway robbery.

Last edited:
The team passed on drafting Doncic to keep the ball in Fox's hands. Russell was an all star PG on a playoff team.

It could work, but that doesn't seem likely.
Yeah but honestly, everything is different now. Marvin's here... Buddy massive breakout season.. We've got more toys to play with... Russell is a great passer, he can share the sugar.

Russell can play SF for us, he's a legit 6'5. He doesnt need the ball that long, he just needs to shoot it, which is perfect.

Fox is not a ballhog... Fox is the opposite, he is actually looking to push it at warp speed all the time, he's already mastered this steve nash style cherry picking routine, Russell can come here and reap the rewards.. It doesnt happen often but everyonce in a while you'll see fox is so fast eh's waiting for teammates to catch up. Russell is intuitively a great scorer and would be able to anticipate having a pg like fox..

Russell has never played with anyone like De'Aaron(and vise verse).... the De'Aaron-Buddy-Russell trio would be utterly devastating. we will win the west before next decade ends if we get de'angelo russell, it's a massive power move..

think of the lakers matchups too, we'd blow teams outa the water. Kings score 120 a game with Russell, and only reason they go less is cuz it's blowouts/garbagetime 4q's..

He has great vision and makes passes like a PG.. We have great ball-movement here for such a young team, Russell would only add to it..

PLUS THINK OF THE FLOOR SPACING... BUDDY and Marvin and the C's WILL BENEFIT THE MOST..... IT'll be pick your poison instead of Buddy being shadowed, which is honestly what slowed down the playoff push as much as anything, teams adjusting more to buddy buckets

Russell's really more of a combo guard in a swingmans body... being an excellent PG is really just part of his skillset, more than thats his true position. He's capable of playing 3 positions with extreme efficency, in the NBA, vs starters, lemme make that very clear...

I would definitely cite the LaVine offer.... How are we gonna offer on LaVine then pass on Russell??? That seems, far more inconsistent than the play of WCS to me...

We will demolish teams if we land D'angelo russell lemme make that very clear. I'll say 60-wins if healthy and we match Willie after.

Within like 3 games here everyone would love the signing... He is $$$$ in crunch-time... Thats no anomaly what you saw last year, he is not to be played with...

Jerry Reynolds in the game, that game, was on the kings broadcast saying "They should consider double-teaming him as he crosses halfcourt"...... That i mean says all ya need to know. were talking about an NBA game here right??

I have seen Vlade's work enough to know, he'd be talking MAJOR crap if we land Russell... and the team would back it up...

Last edited:
Yeah but honestly, everything is different now. Marvin's here... Buddy massive breakout season.. We've got more toys to play with... Russell is a great passer, he can share the sugar.

Russell can play SF for us, he's a legit 6'5. He doesnt need the ball that long, he just needs to shoot it, which is perfect.

Fox is not a ballhog... Fox is the opposite, he is actually looking to push it at warp speed all the time, he's already mastered this steve nash style cherry picking routine, Russell can come here and reap the rewards.. It doesnt happen often but everyonce in a while you'll see fox is so fast eh's waiting for teammates to catch up. Russell is intuitively a great scorer and would be able to anticipate having a pg like fox..

Russell has never played with anyone like De'Aaron(and vise verse).... the De'Aaron-Buddy-Russell trio would be utterly devastating. we will win the west before next decade ends if we get de'angelo russell, it's a massive power move..

think of the lakers matchups too, we'd blow teams outa the water. Kings score 120 a game with Russell, and only reason they go less is cuz it's blowouts/garbagetime 4q's..

He has great vision and makes passes like a PG.. We have great ball-movement here for such a young team, Russell would only add to it..

PLUS THINK OF THE FLOOR SPACING... BUDDY and Marvin and the C's WILL BENEFIT THE MOST..... IT'll be pick your poison instead of Buddy being shadowed, which is honestly what slowed down the playoff push as much as anything, teams adjusting more to buddy buckets

Russell's really more of a combo guard in a swingmans body... being an excellent PG is really just part of his skillset, more than thats his true position. He's capable of playing 3 positions with extreme efficency, in the NBA, vs starters, lemme make that very clear...

I would definitely cite the LaVine offer.... How are we gonna offer on LaVine then pass on Russell??? That seems, far more inconsistent than the play of WCS to me...

We will demolish teams if we land D'angelo russell lemme make that very clear. I'll say 60-wins if healthy and we match Willie after.

Within like 3 games here everyone would love the signing... He is $$$$ in crunch-time... Thats no anomaly what you saw last year, he is not to be played with...

Jerry Reynolds in the game, that game, was on the kings broadcast saying "They should consider double-teaming him as he crosses halfcourt"...... That i mean says all ya need to know. were talking about an NBA game here right??

I have seen Vlade's work enough to know, he'd be talking MAJOR crap if we land Russell... and the team would back it up...
If we want to sign Russell, it’s not to play SF. Come on now.

We also don’t need Barnes to opt out to sign Russell. We just need to say goodbye to WCS.

If we want to sign Russell, it’s to start at SG next to Fox while moving Hield to the bench. He’s going to have a handful of max offers with a guaranteed starting PG spot. I can’t see him choosing to turn those offers down to come here having to body up and defend 6’8” 220lbs SFs on a nightly basis or to come off the bench behind Fox and Hield.

We could probably make enough space to sign someone like Dedmon too and have a rotation of:

Fox (34 min) / Russell (14 min)
Russell (18 min) / Hield (30 min)
Barnes (20 min) / Bogdan (28 min)
Bagley (18 min) / Giles (20 min) / Barnes (10 min)
Dedmon (26 min) / Bagley (12 min) / Bjelica (10 min)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Brogdan would be at the top of the list for me, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm sour on any restricted FA at this point. It just never seems to work.

Either Patrick Beverly and Ish Smith would be a very nice addition if they are given short term contracts. Smith can push the ball almost as fast as Fox. Beverly adds defense, competitiveness and edge. It would seem that Mason or Yogi could be on the trading (or "throw-in") block. It wouldn't surprise me if Mason isn't on this team next season.

These are the things that frustrate me on this board. Are people really advocating we spend $15-20MM on Brogdan who is a starting 2 guard to make him our 2nd backup PG/SG combo?

smh
Who is advocating we pursue brogdan at 20M? The assumption is always "desired player" at a price that makes sense.

Also, with all the weird ways Free agency can go, there is a unfortunate situation where we strike out a bunch and left with a ton of cap and THEN it makes sense to overpay a 1 year deal on the best of whats left.

Who is advocating we pursue brogdan at 20M? The assumption is always "desired player" at a price that makes sense.

Also, with all the weird ways Free agency can go, there is a unfortunate situation where we strike out a bunch and left with a ton of cap and THEN it makes sense to overpay a 1 year deal on the best of whats left.
Anyone talking about signing Brogdan. He's going to get a 4 year deal worth $60-80 MM.

These are the things that frustrate me on this board. Are people really advocating we spend $15-20MM on Brogdan who is a starting 2 guard to make him our 2nd backup PG/SG combo?

smh
I highly doubt he will command 20mil unless teams just go absolutely nuts this summer.

Brogdon is a lot more versatile than you're making him out to be. The dude can handle the ball and is a lights out shooter. He's kind of like a Hield/Bogie hybrid with better defense. If we could land him at 15mil, I'd think about doing it. It would basically be like having Buddy Hield on the court at all times without him ever having to go to the bench. He and Bogie could handle the ball for the 2nd unit and he would more than likely play plenty of minutes with the starters as well.

His stats have the look of a guy who could potentially break out this year. It all depends on how you look at it. Is he a player who just looks better than he is because he's playing on a better team or is he a player who could potentially be much better than he is but his stats are held back because he has to play 4th fiddle to Giannis, Bledsoe and Middleton? It could go either way but I've never watched him play and thought to myself that he only looks as good as he does because he's playing with other good players.

I do think that when I watch Klay Thompson though.

smh
Uhm yeah.

He's close to a perfect fit as a 3rd guard next to either Buddy or Fox. He's an excellent shooter/ball-handler that doesn't turn the ball over and make dumb plays. He's a true combo guard with the ability to guard both spots and sometimes even flex down to the 3. He impacts the game on both ends without having to dominate the ball to do so (something Bogdan struggled to do this past year). Definitely agree there's some playmaking chops to unlock with him too if given more control of running an offense. Just not a ton of ball to work with playing off the 3 main Milwaukee cogs.

He improved pretty much across the board. Efficiency went up, USG went up, TOV rate went down, FTr went up, TRB% went up. He's not an amazing defender, but he is truly versatile in that he can defend both 1's and 2s well, something that's fairly rare. Like ESPY said, he's a guy ready to break-out if given the chance to do so.

Tier 1 - Rozier
Tier 2 - Schroder, Teague
Tier 3 - Ulis, Joseph, Ferrell

Rozier can flat out ball. I think many of us may have forgotten what he can do. He is above the level of reserve point guard, for sure.

Does Jeremy Lin get bumped up a tier now that he has championship pedigree?
If we don’t get Patrick Beverly in Free Agency, I have a feeling we will sign Jeremy Lin as backup PG.

Rumor was the Kings were hot for him before the trade deadline, but Atlanta was asking for too much.