What is the #1 Need for the Kings?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We've heard names like Capela (center) and Kuzma (SF/PF). But if you were looking at this team and considering trades, what kind of player(s) would you'd be asking for in return?

Great question. My answer depends on whether we see Bagley long term as a 4 or 5. Unfortunately, we need to see him on the court more to determine that, which is why his injury situation is such a setback for moving forward.

Aside from that, I’m thinking a 1/2 combo guard upgrade would be nice. The team has looked good at times going small and running with both Fox and Joseph. I like Joseph’s defense, but without a reliable jumper, I don’t like him playing major minutes next to Fox.

It all depends on what is the mid-term and long-term plan for this team. What kind of team are we trying to build? What is our offensive identity, what is our defensive calling-card? I thought Joerger was taking this team to a certain direction, based on pace, but now with Walton, we are slowing things down again.

Good, consistent teams acquire players that they can plug into their system. We are neither good, nor consistent yet, so either we should be hunting talent that can shape our franchise, or commit to a system that fits the guys we have and build from there.

In my view and looking at Fox, that is increasing the pace at least to more than league average and if you consider Bagley a cornerstone, have players who can mask his defensive deficiencies, help spread the floor for him and who are more conductive to ball movement. Dedmon was supposed to be such a guy but he is recently only delivering on the defensive side, while being a turnover machine and subpar on offense. Capela is a rich man's Holmes at higher cost but longer team control. Not sure I'd do that.

I am at a loss and if everyone was healthy and had time on the floor together I might have a better idea of what we really needed.
Knowing that it’s really pretty much impossible to sign a all star in the off season so we know that’s ain’t gonna happen.
That leaves us in the trade mode and with Bogi and Beli really being our most tradable assets we can get a decent and maybe younger players that I hope can be productive in the long run.

If we want a star player we would really need to move some of our core and that to me would be Buddy and maybe Bagley if it returns a star player who could move the needle.

Playoff bound teams I would think would be reluctant to give up a star and would need filler like Beli and Bogi.
The others would more than likely be from a team needing a reset of their roster.

A healthy consistent perhaps younger version of Bogdan, combo guard, would be nice. Otherwise, and not saying there is any chance of it happening but I’d trade anyone barring Fox for Jaylen Brown. What kind of player and what’s realistic is a tough ask.

Last edited:

kb02

All-Star
On the court? An elite 3. A Kawahi, Paul George, Lebron, Jimmy Butler type.

Off the court? New FO. I'm no longer a believer in Vlade's rinse, repeat MO of trying to capture lightening in a bottle. Like what happened with the early 2000s team where a few kids (JWill, Peja) got mixed with a few vets (Vlade, Doug, Cwebb) to produce a generational team.

He's gone through a few cycles of trying to do so. Here's a sampling of the vets he's brought on board: Dedmon, Joseph, Ariza, Holmes, Bjelly, Shump, Hill, Zbo, Carter, Temple, Affalo, Barnes, Casspi, Colison, Toliver, Bellineli, Kosta, Caron Butler, Ryan Hollins, & Carl Landry.

Here's a sampling of the kids (some inherited): Boogie, Malachi, Ben, Nik, Fox, Bags, Giles, Mason, James, Guy, Papagiannis, Buddy, JJ #1, Cabocolo, & Bogi.

Enough is enough.

Last edited:
The Kings cant acquire what they need to compete. It would take another Fox level player and the only way they can do that is through the draft. They arent a role player awag from competing. They're a GM, coach and star player away. Any trade made will most likely be a pointless 'win now' trade and not a future asset trade because Vlade isn't going to admit that another rebuild is needed because that will surely land him his walking papers.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Some have hinted at it in this thread. The Kings need young high ceiling players that require some vision to see where they can be a couple of years from now. Raw unpolished nuggets that don't look like much now, but with some polishing could be very good in a couple of years and will command much higher prices. Thybulle is a good example. He's a bench player now. He's a rookie and doesn't know the ropes yet and has a ways to go before he's a polished player. And yet he looks like he has the DNA to become very good with time. Another example: RJ Barrett. You can find a ton of NBA players with better stats than his. But look under the hood and you see there is a guy who could have a pretty high ceiling. Think about the trade the Nets made to get D"Angelo Russell from the Lakers: The Lakers traded Russell, who looked like a bust, and center Timofey Mozgov to the Nets for center Brook Lopez and a first-round pick in the 2017 draft. That's a low price for someone who became an All Star shortly thereafter. These are the kind of players the Kings need to target.

Our biggest need is actual talent. Nothing else matters at the moment because we're not actually close, or even one piece away (unless that piece is an all-star).
A number of factors (heart, toughness, chemistry, coaching, system) determine how well a team plays, but TALENT - above all else - is what produces wins.

I am at a loss and if everyone was healthy and had time on the floor together I might have a better idea of what we really needed.
Knowing that it’s really pretty much impossible to sign a all star in the off season so we know that’s ain’t gonna happen.
That leaves us in the trade mode and with Bogi and Beli really being our most tradable assets we can get a decent and maybe younger players that I hope can be productive in the long run.

If we want a star player we would really need to move some of our core and that to me would be Buddy and maybe Bagley if it returns a star player who could move the needle.

Playoff bound teams I would think would be reluctant to give up a star and would need filler like Beli and Bogi.
The others would more than likely be from a team needing a reset of their roster.
This is truly the reason this season is horrible and sucks for me. It is truly a wasted season. We can do something drastic in response or we can believe in what we did this offseason and hope for better luck next year.

Both will carry some pretty huge costs, especially if we commit big money to Bogi and need to move him or Buddy afterwards. I am ok with moving Dedmon but as we saw last night he can contribute. Consistently with this team - who knows.

So much good will and good feelings have been squandered largely because of a few big injuries.

Some have hinted at it in this thread. The Kings need young high ceiling players that require some vision to see where they can be a couple of years from now. Raw unpolished nuggets that don't look like much now, but with some polishing could be very good in a couple of years and will command much higher prices. Thybulle is a good example. He's a bench player now. He's a rookie and doesn't know the ropes yet and has a ways to go before he's a polished player. And yet he looks like he has the DNA to become very good with time. Another example: RJ Barrett. You can find a ton of NBA players with better stats than his. But look under the hood and you see there is a guy who could have a pretty high ceiling. Think about the trade the Nets made to get D"Angelo Russell from the Lakers: The Lakers traded Russell, who looked like a bust, and center Timofey Mozgov to the Nets for center Brook Lopez and a first-round pick in the 2017 draft. That's a low price for someone who became an All Star shortly thereafter. These are the kind of players the Kings need to target.
Agreed. I mentioned Monk and Miles Bridges in another thread, who might be similar types of players in terms of potential impact at a discount. You can’t just look at stats that capture their current impact or production, you have to try to “look under the hood,” as you suggest.

New GM, New Coach and lineup TBD. Fox, looks like he's starting to fulfill that promise. But, let's see what he does from Now until April.
Hield is not a second option on a championship level team. So, I would say the team really needs a 1A or a 2.

Fox has been coming around. But, I need to see that veracity against top flight competition and guards. Miami and San Antonio(Fri and Sat) will prove to be much better tests for Fox.

Myles Turner from the Pacers is one possibility. He has been a defensive player of the year candidate, a team USA selection, is young, can block shots and has range. Further, with Sabonis playing well he may be available.

I previously thought that putting MBIII at the 5 would be a good way to take advantage of his rebounding but seeing him against Gobert dampened those thoughts for now.

In recent games Dedmond has been good so how that figures into decision making I don't know.

I liked Mikal Bridges coming out of college, don’t know how he’s looked as a pro but recon that is the type of realistic trade that could look good down the road. Myles Turner surprised me how good he looked in his 1st couple years as a pro... so yeah I like both those suggestions.

Last edited:
I liked Mikal Bridges coming out of college, don’t know how he’s looked as a pro but recon that is the type of realistic trade that could look good down the road. Myles Turner surpried me how good he looked in his 1st couple years as a pro... so yeah I like both those suggestions.
I do too. Metrics have Mikal as one of the best defenders in the NBA this year. I don't know what happened to his outside shot but if he could recapture the outside shooting he had in college, he would be a terrific pickup. Think Covington in his prime.

Myles Turner from the Pacers is one possibility. He has been a defensive player of the year candidate, a team USA selection, is young, can block shots and has range. Further, with Sabonis playing well he may be available.

I previously thought that putting MBIII at the 5 would be a good way to take advantage of his rebounding but seeing him against Gobert dampened those thoughts for now.

In recent games Dedmond has been good so how that figures into decision making I don't know.
Yes getting Turner who is a DPOY is a start especially if it could be for Barnes and our 1st (at the draft trade)
Getting a defender at his level at center changes a lot

Unless it's a top 5 pick I don't see the Pacers doing that if they wanted to go small they could move Warren to the 4 who is a way better player and just start Victor/Brogdan/Lamb/Sabonis.

The Kings need to do a massive package of Bagley/pick/Bogi or Buddy for a All-Star level player that's 27 or below.

Unless it's a top 5 pick I don't see the Pacers doing that if they wanted to go small they could move Warren to the 4 who is a way better player and just start Victor/Brogdan/Lamb/Sabonis.

The Kings need to do a massive package of Bagley/pick/Bogi or Buddy for a All-Star level player that's 27 or below.
I have been predicting, for some time now, that your proposal is inbound this summer. It’ll be w/ Buddy included. Just not sure who we get...best odds would be on Simmons or Embiid, of course.

This is what I have been wondering. Keep Fox and throw the farm at a young all-star. That gives us two stars to build around, and hopefully retain Holmes. I know Bagley was meant to be that 2nd star, but I’m not convinced that will ever come to fruition here in Sac.
Of course not sure who that young star might be or what teams might be interested. .

problem is teams can beat that offer if a star is available. Say Simmons is available Washington could send them Beal or Portland could send them CJ/Simmons/Collins and GSW can send DLo/top 5 pick.

Also with the Turner deal Barnes and Warren would be interchangeable at the foward position, while picking up a lottery pick and Holmes