What do you do if Doncic does not want to come to Sac?

Who do you pick at #2?

• Bagley III

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Jackson Jr

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Porter Jr

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Please state below)

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
I’m rarely down with drafting Duke players. For every Grant Hill or Jayson Tatum, there’s a myriad more totally unlike them. The players they tend to recruit are usually great college players that don’t translate so well in the NBA. Or have lingering injury concerns for one reason or another.

I’m rarely down with drafting Duke players. For every Grant Hill or Jayson Tatum, there’s a myriad more totally unlike them. The players they tend to recruit are usually great college players that don’t translate so well in the NBA. Or have lingering injury concerns for one reason or another.
That argument can be used against any college program because none of them produce 100% success stories in the NBA.

Take Texas and their recent top ten picks since 2000. In 2006 and 2007 they had Aldridge and Durant - one star and one superstar. But their other top tens were Chris Mihm, TJ Ford, DJ Augustin, and Tristan Thompson - none of them are cornerstone players. So that's a 33% hit rate on prospects taken in the top ten from Texas becoming all star talent.

If we look at Duke since 2000: Kyrie is a star, Tatum is a potential star, Ingram has shown flashes of star potential, Okafor is an old school talent that did ok but has been sidelined by both teams but he could still make it, Parker could still be a good player if he stays healthy and overcomes knee injuries, Luol Deng was a good player for many years, JJ Redick is a good player, Battier and Dunleavy made careers out of being glue guys, Austin Rivers is an average talent, and Jay Williams' career was ended by a motorbike accident after his first season. Okay there are varying degrees of success with these top ten players from glue guys to stars, but I wouldn't say Duke have a bad hit rate in top ten picks. For me Bagley looks like he could be special, but Carter does look like he could be more of a solid talent than a special one.