What do you do if Doncic does not want to come to Sac?

Who do you pick at #2?

• Bagley III

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Jackson Jr

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Porter Jr

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Please state below)

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Alright, not that I'm saying that the rumors about Doncic not wanting to come over straight away to play for some certain teams are necessarily true. We should, however, discuss the eventuality. Let's say Doncic really wants to play in a big market and tells Sacramento that he won't come over in case they were picking him. Phoenix takes Ayton #1. Who do you pick at #2?

Last edited:
I'd guage what team Donic is willing to play for, how much they value him, and what they would offer up. Richmond for Billy Owens worked out great.
Alternatively, of all players I'm most interested how Porter looks in workouts, as he plays a position of need.
Who knows maybe a play in the works with Dallas if that's a destination of choice for Donic.

Dončić will play in the NBA next season. He is not against playing for the Kings and is good friends with Bodgan. I think he would be equally comfortable in Phoenix (With coach Kokoškov) and in Sacramento (with Bogdan, Vlade and Peja).

With Luka it will be all about the fit and opportunity. It’s not going to be about the size of the market.

Last edited:
Also judging from this pic, Doncic may be a legit 6'8"/ borderline-6'9"

I will be very surprised if he measures less than 6'8'' in shoes. I have said this for months. Doncic is not an undersized SF. Even at 6'7.5'', that is plenty tall enough for the position, and I'm pretty sure he'll be bigger than that. Doncic is not a small guy. What makes it even more exciting is that his body is still completely under-developed, there is real potential there to make him more athletic. And he has weird natural strength for a guy who is not particularly muscular. His trunk is probably quite strong, I'd imagine.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I will be very surprised if he measures less than 6'8'' in shoes. I have said this for months. Doncic is not an undersized SF. Even at 6'7.5'', that is plenty tall enough for the position, and I'm pretty sure he'll be bigger than that. Doncic is not a small guy. What makes it even more exciting is that his body is still completely under-developed, there is real potential there to make him more athletic. And he has weird natural strength for a guy who is not particularly muscular. His trunk is probably quite strong, I'd imagine.
I've said it before, but last year at the awards ceremony after the championship game, Bogdanovic and Doncic were standing shoulder to shoulder on the floor and Doncic was at least a good two to three inches taller than Bogdanovic, who is supposed to be 6'6.5"tall.

This topic appears to be somewhat moot at this point now that Doncic has clarified that his prior comments were not meant to suggest taht there are teams that he would not play for. More than that, after his last game, he mentioned that he would like to play with Bogdan. And Bogdan was at the game (see pics above), and congratulated Doncic. Curious that Doncic, when discussing coaches he likes, did not mention Kokoskov.

This topic appears to be somewhat moot at this point now that Doncic has clarified that his prior comments were not meant to suggest taht there are teams that he would not play for. More than that, after his last game, he mentioned that he would like to play with Bogdan. And Bogdan was at the game (see pics above), and congratulated Doncic. Curious that Doncic, when discussing coaches he likes, did not mention Kokoskov.
The question was based on coaches and player he hadn’t played for or with yet. That is why he didn’t mention Kokoškov.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Alright, not that I'm saying that the rumors about Doncic not wanting to come over straight away to play for some certain teams are necessarily true. We should, however, discuss the eventuality. Let's say Doncic really wants to play in a big market and tells Sacramento that he won't come over in case they were picking him. Phoenix takes Ayton #1. Who do you pick at #2?
You're kidding right? You should have at least included the "draft his ass anyway" option.

If you can translate this, then I will defer to you (I cannot), but my understanding is that he was asked if he could play with a Serbian coach or player who would it be. He mentioned Bogdan, but not Kokoskov.

Edit: the link: http://www.telegraf.rs/sport/kosark...tm_campaign=nove_povezane_vesti&utm_content=2
I listened to the press conference. Telegraf is known for sensationalising everything. Luke would be over the moon if he could play for Kokoškov and he is good friends with Bogdan. Reading anything into his answer is really clutching at straws!

Dončić will play in the NBA next season. He is not against playing for the Kings and is good friends with Bodgan. I think he would be equally comfortable in Phoenix (With coach Kokoškov) and in Sacramento (with Bogdan, Vlade and Peja).

With Luka it will be all about the fit and opportunity. It’s not going to be about the size of the market.
Agreed. The euro guys are indifferent to market size. They are guys you can lock in long time and wont bolt for 'greener pastures'

The european mentality is compeltely different. Doncic would stay in Sac his whole career if he becomes a star and we simply look after him.

They are guys you want as a small market team because they don't care about where they play so much as they play well in an environment that sets them up for success and they win.

Get Doncic and steal away Porzingis. That should be our long term play for a championship.

We trade down and draft Trae Young, while perhaps getting us another player either from Orlando or Dallas along with their pick for the #2.

Porter is meh. Bagley sucks, and Jackson Jr sucks.

If I had to choose I would say Bagley. He has a ton of potential and is an exciting talent. His motor and competitiveness is top notch and when combined with Fox's motor and competitiveness, we have two potential cornerstones for our team going forward. Granted we would still need to sort out small forward and center long term but those are issues to be dealt with at a later date.

With that said, I don't think Doncic is the type of player that would not want to come play here. Maybe I am being slightly biased here but this team does have a strong history with European players and we have a brand new state of the art arena. We've got a lot going for us and with the new supermax rules, these players if they become stars can earn many millions of dollars playing for a small market team like ours. Plus if they become a star here in Sacramento we would be unlikely to move on from them in the pursuit or others, whereas the Lakers for example would likely trade Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram if it meant getting Paul George, LeBron James and Kawhi Leonard on court together.

If I had to choose I would say Bagley. He has a ton of potential and is an exciting talent. His motor and competitiveness is top notch and when combined with Fox's motor and competitiveness, we have two potential cornerstones for our team going forward. Granted we would still need to sort out small forward and center long term but those are issues to be dealt with at a later date.

With that said, I don't think Doncic is the type of player that would not want to come play here. Maybe I am being slightly biased here but this team does have a strong history with European players and we have a brand new state of the art arena. We've got a lot going for us and with the new supermax rules, these players if they become stars can earn many millions of dollars playing for a small market team like ours. Plus if they become a star here in Sacramento we would be unlikely to move on from them in the pursuit or others, whereas the Lakers for example would likely trade Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram if it meant getting Paul George, LeBron James and Kawhi Leonard on court together.

So, that's you're rational? An Arena? a stable front office? the Kings have had a strong history with Euros? Really? That comment is a real stretch. Supermax.? All those reasons you outlined mean squat. Sorry, players look at the stability of the organization, winning tradition, and current talent base.

On the contrary, If I am Doncic, Sac does not look too desirable. Let's not candy coat the reality.

So, that's you're rational? An Arena? a stable front office? the Kings have had a strong history with Euros? Really? That comment is a real stretch. Supermax.? All those reasons you outlined mean squat. Sorry, players look at the stability of the organization, winning tradition, and current talent base.

On the contrary, If I am Doncic, Sac does not look too desirable. Let's not candy coat the reality.
My point is we shouldn't sell ourselves short. Why is playing in Sacramento, capital of California, and calling one of the best arenas in the league, with a passionate, loyal and loud fan base any less appealing than going playing in a big market where you are constantly under the microscope and will be criticized for the smallest thing?

Imagine how Cousins would have been treated in New York or Los Angeles. He would have been run out of town because they wouldn't have been as patient and supporting as we were. Now that might not mean anything because these players can always go elsewhere, but typically smaller market teams like ours can be more supportive places to play and come with less of a spotlight which can be a good thing early in your career unless you want that spotlight and the bright lights of a big market (ie Lonzo Ball).

Now I agree that players want to join a stable team with a winning history. Post-Webber we have struggled but we look to be on the right track now. So if Doncic or whoever our pick is comes here and does for us what Webber and co did, they'll have their jersey in the rafters. A winner can exist in this market if the front office do their job and playing here is not a punishment or less appealing than anywhere else. We need to stop selling ourselves short, but again that might be with some Kings bias coming in.

Well it is just an observation, but you are not Doncic:)

This is signature worthy!!! Dude you couldnt be ANY FARTHER from correct on Bagley especially.

Vivek, is that you?

I have never liked Bagley. He's a scorer/rebounder, and is more of a "me first" player than I would like to see (but it could just be because a lot of college ball is played this way). He never really impressed me like Ayton did. I didn't see that many (maybe 10-12) this year including the tourney, but he never impressed me as much as a potential top pick should. But hey, I didn't like Giles too so I may be wrong when we see him play this year? Just a gut feeling. Maybe "sucks" was too harsh of a word to describe him, but I would rather trade down for a player + Young than draft Bagley..