What do we do at the Power Forward slot?

What should we do at the 4?

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We're discussing the 2 guard position, so why not Power Forward? Do we go with Kenny, or Darius, or Brad or someone new?

KT and Darius are too small to match up with WC Power Forwards, most of whom now have guard skills. They are strictly backups to play the opposition's backups. Brad is big enough but not mobile and is vertically challenged. OT; would love to see KT in a backup role at SF.

I would like to see Miller move to the 4 spot as he seems to play better there. Then maybe sign or trade for a good Center who can start. Possibly Dalembert, Magloire, etc.

Bring in a new guy if we can. If we do get an all star caliber player, I think it would be best he be a SG. If so, then I think KT would be fine.

PFFFT!! said:
Bring in a new guy if we can. If we do get an all star caliber player, I think it would be best he be a SG. If so, then I think KT would be fine.
I'd like to see KT as a starting SF if we move Peja. I never really know about Peja. He's super talented, but doesn't seem to have the aggresiveness needed to succeed in pro basketball. As much as I bag on Peja as a player, I'd probably like him as a person more than I would any other King. Well. Other than Doug Christie. He had that rare ability to seem centered and cool, yet also play with intensity. After all it's just a game.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah I think there's two ways to go with this.

(1) Since Brad plays from the high post, bring in more of a traditional center to gobble up rebounds inside and establish a defensive presence in the lane. Would definately need to be an established shot blocker/intimidator and score a lot of points on putbacks and tips.

(2) Keep Brad at center using his versatility to stretch the defense and open up room for an athletic power forward to pound the inside. This power forward would need to be athletic enough to dunk at will, get to the foul line, grab a hefty share of rebounds, and provide weakside shotblocking when players trounce into the lane unimpeded looking for easy layups.

Either option I think could work for us. Even better I think would be to get both. One as a starter, and one as a bench player so we can mix it up a little bit and adjust to what the other team is trying to do. Either way, the personel we have right now is not going to get it done.

Examples of guys who could play the (1) role:
Samuel Dalembert
Tyson Chandler
Dan Gadzuric
Theo Ratliff
Kwame Brown (shudder)

Examples of guys who could play the (2) role:
Stromile Swift
Ike Diogu
Hakim Warrick

piksi

Hall of Famer
We need somebody that wil bang and rebound. We don't need a passer, or shooter. Just needs to catch the damn ball. No ther skill required.

I just wish Brad lives up to his word and get pumped up and more agile; maybe then we can unleash him on TD and KG; and no more talks about how great they are........yeah either we get TAG in shape and running or find a more active defender in the Center spot, keep skinner as a back up.

LPKingsFans power forward wish list.

Free agents (high $$, probably close to or more than the MLE, so we'd have to go sign & trade):
Stromile Swift
Tyson Chandler
Samuel Dalambert
Kwame Brown
Donyell Marshall

Low $$:
Dan Gadzuric
Francisco Elson
Reggie Evans
Chris Andersen

Trade:
KG (long-shot)
Nene
Odom
Ratliff
Boozer

I say move Thomas unless we move Peja, then he can slide over to SF. He's too pricey to be a bench player, me thinks. Darius would be fine as a cheap 4th big man, but only behind Miller and two defensive guys.

I really don't get the big deal about 4 vs. 5. They don't really have to be mutually exclusive. If you think we should get Kwame or Dalambert for the low post and keep Miller in the high post, you should still vote for getting a new guy right??

piksi said:
We need somebody that wil bang and rebound. We don't need a passer, or shooter. Just needs to catch the damn ball. No ther skill required.

I've seen two Samuel Dalembert statements on this rope...If we want a a guy who can catch the ball i'd say we should stay away from that young man, plus I want him in Philly!

i voted to move brad to PF and bring in a new center. my other option would be to bring in a new guy. but i don't like the idea of either kenny or darius as a starter.

Like many have already said, Kenny and Darius are too small to play PF. Darius is also way too foul prone to start for an entire season / post season. If we keep KT, I would like to see him as a backup SF. Brad is more of a high post guy, so I think he should take PF spot.

However, my fave new addition would be KG. He has often played center and he has terrific low post skills. He's not very big, but he rebounds like a madman and is a good passer. That would leave us without a bona fide "CENTER", but I still think we could do very well. At least we would finally have a guy to catch the ball on the block, and rebound above the rim.

If Brad were to put on 20 pounds of muscle and develop a half hook, I could see him staying as center. ;P

AriesMar27 said:
thomas+corliss and mobley for boozer and artest......
I don't think I could stomach seeing artest in a kings jersey. He is the worst kind of thug. If he wasn't a pampered athlete, the guy would be in jail. He comes to town once a year, and thats one time too many. Words fail me when describing what a lowlife headcase he is. Who knows, maybe he will do the NBA a favor and take up his rap career full time.

Sorry for the sour tone, but I keep seeing posts pushing for him to be here and I just don't understand how anyone can think it's a good thing. How many games did he miss for punching out a fan? A FAN for goodness sake! :eek: He could have just pushed the guy away, or heaven forbid, walk away himself. Personally, I think he should be banned for life, but I'm obviously not the one in charge.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I say go with a new PF and i don't mean FA or trade. I mean Draft get the best possible PF you can get in the draft and i would imagine he can come in and get the same numbers as any of the other PF we could pick up baring a Blockbuster trade. NeNe, Stro, yadda yadda yadda all these guys aren't going to be much better than they are and a Rookie could probably do about the same with us as they would if not better as he grows. Either way they are coming into a new system so why not look toward the future and not get another teams backup PF to be our starter. Besides cleard up cap space would be awesome for nexts years FA market it is Stacked featureing Shaq, Big Ben, Amare, Yao, Tayshaun, the list goes on for 2006 FA's.

I don't think the guy should be banned for likfe, but I do agree that I do not want him on the Kings right now. I would rather he play somewhere else for a season and prove that he has his head screwed on straight before we think about bringing him here.

Entity said:
I say go with a new PF and i don't mean FA or trade. I mean Draft get the best possible PF you can get in the draft and i would imagine he can come in and get the same numbers as any of the other PF we could pick up baring a Blockbuster trade. NeNe, Stro, yadda yadda yadda all these guys aren't going to be much better than they are and a Rookie could probably do about the same with us as they would if not better as he grows. Either way they are coming into a new system so why not look toward the future and not get another teams backup PF to be our starter. Besides cleard up cap space would be awesome for nexts years FA market it is Stacked featureing Shaq, Big Ben, Amare, Yao, Tayshaun, the list goes on for 2006 FA's.
So, basically toss next season along with this one and wait another year for a big push? I'm not saying I disagree. My point is that without a really solid PF we are not going to go all the way. EDITED: What rookie could make that kind of a differnece?

Entity

Hall of Famer
i will answer your question with a question what FA or trade we could make with loosing one of your big 3 would make more of a difference than a rookie with potential. You guys really need to look at the PF out there once you get out of the top 10 guys who you got left. guys like Stromile Swift and NeNe who are as seasoned as any rookie we could get. The player we can get on the market baring an awesome trade by Petrie is not going to get us any farther than we got this year. What we can do is get Artest at the 2 and bring in that rookie PF and keep Kenny around just in case.

Entity said:
i will answer your question with a question what FA or trade we could make with loosing one of your big 3 would make more of a difference than a rookie with potential. You guys really need to look at the PF out there once you get out of the top 10 guys who you got left. guys like Stromile Swift and NeNe who are as seasoned as any rookie we could get. The player we can get on the market baring an awesome trade by Petrie is not going to get us any farther than we got this year. What we can do is get Artest at the 2 and bring in that rookie PF and keep Kenny around just in case.
The thing is that it is extremely difficult to find a good PF in the draft unless you have a lottery pick. The talented big men in the draft always go high, like Okafor and Howard last year.

Short of trading up to the top 5 we would either end up taking a tweener PF (already got enough of those) or take a risk on an extremely raw prospect.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The move Brad over option is actually attractive in a lot of ways - namely that Brad cannot play defensive center in there. But the thing is, in the league today there are so few quality centers that its far far easier to keep him at C and find a talented PF to play next to him than it is to switch him to PF and try to find a quality center to play next to him.

I think I heard that Petrie may go small ball a la the Suns. I don't think it would work with the current lineup b/c obviously it didn't work this season but you never know. Kenny Thomas could fit in well if that is the scenario.

F

Fillmoe

Sparky said:
I don't think I could stomach seeing artest in a kings jersey. He is the worst kind of thug. If he wasn't a pampered athlete, the guy would be in jail. He comes to town once a year, and thats one time too many. Words fail me when describing what a lowlife headcase he is. Who knows, maybe he will do the NBA a favor and take up his rap career full time.

Sorry for the sour tone, but I keep seeing posts pushing for him to be here and I just don't understand how anyone can think it's a good thing. How many games did he miss for punching out a fan? A FAN for goodness sake! :eek: He could have just pushed the guy away, or heaven forbid, walk away himself. Personally, I think he should be banned for life, but I'm obviously not the one in charge.
to be honest i would really like to get brand.. i think boozer is way too overpaid....... yall can count dalembert, chandler and curry out of the picture because their GM's have said they would match any offer sheet.... so unless we have something they want, kiss them goodbye...
i would really like to see al harrington... i dont know theres alot of things i would wish happen but im really unsure :(

Last edited by a moderator:
skillet said:
I just wish Brad lives up to his word and get pumped up and more agile; maybe then we can unleash him on TD and KG; and no more talks about how great they are........yeah either we get TAG in shape and running or find a more active defender in the Center spot, keep skinner as a back up.

PREPARE BECAUSE COME NEXT SEASON THE SACRAMENTO KINGS WILL UNVEIL......

ROBOBRAD!!!!

I would like to have Boozer. The guy battles for boards like no one we currently have. He can pass, he can shoot, he can dunk. He is no all-star but a good quality player.

I liked the option Brad moving to the 4.

Next years starting lineup could be this:

PG: Bibby
SG: Evans
SF: Peja
PF: Miller
C: Tag

Not bad if you ask me. You get that guy at center that will clog the lane, rebound, and block shots to go along.

The only question is how can we actually get Greg Ostertag on to our team without touching the core???

SacTownKid said:
I think I heard that Petrie may go small ball a la the Suns. I don't think it would work with the current lineup b/c obviously it didn't work this season but you never know. Kenny Thomas could fit in well if that is the scenario.
I think people were saying this when we traded defense for more firepower when we got the Cat. It sounded decent enough at the time. Except that now our weaknesses are exposed in the middle. For rhe Suns, Marion makes up for it with his rebounding and Amare makes up for it with his shotblocking (at least most of it is legit, anyways).

Brad and Kenny don't have that.