What are you reading?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Have used this COVID downtime to try to ploy through the Wheel of Time series. I’m barely even halfway through so selfishly, assuming I keep up this pace, I need the state of emergency to last until somewhere around Mid-July to give me ample time to finish reading.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just finished The Last Odyssey by James Rollins. I like his characters and he definitely keeps the action moving and I found it enjoyable. But this one had a major portion of the book revolve around almost "magical" creatures supposedly built over 1,000 years ago that were just too much for me to fully buy into. I liked some of his other stuff better in that respect. While his other books also tend to have some fantasy/sci-fi twist to them, I could more easily accept the premise or implementation in most of the others.

I do REALLY enjoy that after the end of the book he goes into the real history of the items, people, places, and events that form the basis of his plots. In this case, things like Greek Fire, astrolabes, Leonardo da Vinci, history on the Greek Dark Ages, World War Zero, the Vatican, etc., etc.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just finished Crooked River by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - the latest Pendergast novel from these two. Enjoyed it overall - seems like they are transitioning some characters into the ongoing story lines more after killing off a couple in previous books.

Admittedly not a big reader, but last 2 I read were A Long Way Gone, an autobiography by a former African child soldier, and Mystic River . Both were great: as much as I loved mystic river the movie, the book was even better.

VF21

#KingsFansForever
Staff member
Just finished Crooked River by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - the latest Pendergast novel from these two. Enjoyed it overall - seems like they are transitioning some characters into the ongoing story lines more after killing off a couple in previous books.
DOUGLAS PRESTON... Duh. I saw an Audible book offering from James Prescott and mistakenly thought it was the same author as the Pendergast guy, who you turned me on to a few years ago. (My defense is that it was late at night and I didn't bother to check). I bought the book with my free credit for the month. I'll let you know how it turns out. :p

VF21

#KingsFansForever
Staff member
Any Audible subscribers here who would like to be gifted "The Stand" by Stephen King (full length edition with all the restored content). I just got a notice from Audible that I can gift it to a fellow subscriber. First come, first served. If you're interested, drop me a PM with your email addy. It's pretty danged good -- the reader is incredible.