What about retiring Bibby's number? (split from "about time" thread)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
And you really should avoid the urge to retire Bobby and Peja or Christie or whoever. You can't just retire numbers willy nilly or you won't have many left before long. Those guys were very good players for us, but you have to draw lines. Webb was clearly the greatest player we've ever had, so he's obvious. Vlade gets in for being the heart. But you can't just take everybody that was a good player on a good team. It has to be the unique guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
HEY, some people need to ease up on bibby. the man was a tad overpaid. just a tad, but he was the 2nd best player on our "title team" of 2002. and set great examples during those years of how point gaurds should perform in the playoffs. now i dont think that we should retire his number because of the way he ended his career in sacto. not in a good and memorable way. not really strong enough on defense and his struggles shooting the ball. somewhat of a ray allen slump the past year and a half. but those are the ONLY reasons. the man has more N's than Mr. Billups

I'm on the fence with this one. Divac and Webber were on this team when it began to be a force in the Western Conference. Then Bibby came in and helped them reach the conference finals. But once Divac and Webber left, the Kings pretty much went downhill and never reached the finals or dominated the way they had when Divac and Webber were here. Bibby has been memorable for this team, especially the game winner against the Lakers on May 28th (my mom's birthday, which is why I will NEVER forget that shot). Vlade and Webber should get their numbers retired for sure because they were here since the beginning up to the years where they were the talk of the league. Bibby came in the middle, if you will. He is one of those players like Peja and Christie that have been great players for this team, but shouldn't have their numbers retired.

HEY, some people need to ease up on bibby. the man was a tad overpaid. just a tad, but he was the 2nd best player on our "title team" of 2002.
Just a tad huh? 2nd best player over Divac and Peja????

Retiring Bibby's jersey would make a mockery of the whole thing. Please, just no.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Just a tad huh? 2nd best player over Divac and Peja????

Retiring Bibby's jersey would make a mockery of the whole thing. Please, just no.

Well in the WCF he certainly was, which is likely what he meant.

But he's still not at the level of a guy where you retire his number.

As an aside, assuming these current sporting leagues are permanent fixtures now, does make you wonder a bit what they are going to do in a hundred years or so about retired numbers. Is everybody just going to be wearing numbers in the hundreds then? Or so they start "unretiring" some of the old timers?

As an aside, assuming these current sporting leagues are permanent fixtures now, does make you wonder a bit what they are going to do in a hundred years or so about retired numbers. Is everybody just going to be wearing numbers in the hundreds then? Or so they start "unretiring" some of the old timers?

They could also move over to a number system with a higher base, like hexadecimal notation.

I think after Vlade and Webber,3rd in a row would be Peja,because he scored most points in the franchise,but that would be stupid.Just Vlade and Webb is enough and deserved.

Btw. I am down for Jackie Christie though;)

Mike Bibby has retired?;) I always thought he had prematurely aged of late and would at least play one more year to get last $13.5 million on his contract. He should not have his # retired by the Kings IMO. I'd want #24 Reggie Theus (not #24 Bobby Jackson) retired before Bibby.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I think after Vlade and Webber,3rd in a row would be Peja,because he scored most points in the franchise,but that would be stupid.Just Vlade and Webb is enough and deserved.
Wha? :confused:

No he hasn't. Stojakovic hasn't scored the most points in franchise history; and even if you only count the Sacramento-era franchise history, he's a distant second.

mike was my favorite player on that team .. so im on his side with this one .. you can argue that as the point guard he ment more to the team then vlade did but at the same time less then webber .. he was incredibly clutch.. i'd do it.

say what you will about having 'to many retired numbers' but then remember we retired the number 6 for the fans .. then take the celtics for example ...they have by far way more retired jerseys then any team and they dont have problems finding numbers for people ... i think the point guard of the best team this franchise have ever seen at least has an arguement

No. I am a big Bibby fan too but he was just a solid player. You have to be a special player to get your number retired. C Webb for sure b/c like someone else said, he's the best player this franchise has had at least since the team has been in Sacramento. I think Vlade may be in too, though I am a little bit on the fence with that one.

It's not really about having enough numbers. It's about not watering down the meaning of jersey retirement.

Bibby was an integral part of the team from 2001-2004 when they had their chance. But that was only part of the era. When Webber, Divac and Adelman arrived in 1999, that's when it really started (I'd retire Adelman's number too if he had one). Bibby didn't bring a new attitude to the team. He didn't bring new excitement. He didn't define the team. He wasn't the face of the team. He played well for them and was very important in the 2002 playoff run, that's about it.

Retiring Divac's and Webber's jerseys isn't about honoring the 2002 playoffs. It's about honoring what those guys did specifically, and about what the team that played from 1999 to 2004 brought to Sacramento. Bibby doesn't have enough in either category.

It's not really about having enough numbers. It's about not watering down the meaning of jersey retirement.

Bibby was an integral part of the team from 2001-2004 when they had their chance. But that was only part of the era. When Webber, Divac and Adelman arrived in 1999, that's when it really started (I'd retire Adelman's number too if he had one). Bibby didn't bring a new attitude to the team. He didn't bring new excitement. He didn't define the team. He wasn't the face of the team. He played well for them and was very important in the 2002 playoff run, that's about it.

Retiring Divac's and Webber's jerseys isn't about honoring the 2002 playoffs. It's about honoring what those guys did specifically, and about what the team that played from 1999 to 2004 brought to Sacramento. Bibby doesn't have enough in either category.
That's exactly what I'm saying! :D

Yeah, I'm on the fence. But I just remember when Tyronne Lue wore his number (not even for a game, just practice) I was ready to tear him a new one.

Wha? :confused:

No he hasn't. Stojakovic hasn't scored the most points in franchise history; and even if you only count the Sacramento-era franchise history, he's a distant second.
My mistake.He played in more games than any other player since the team came to Sacramento!He played 518 times and the second is Richmond.So yah,Peja has the most games,that was my point.
Anyhow,who is the best scorer in Sacramento era?

No.

Webb and Vlade should definitely get their jerseys retired. It'll just get out of hand once they start going down the line from there. You retire Mike's jersey, next Peja fans will be up in arms. You retire Peja's, who's to say that Christie fans wouldn't want his too (for his defense). After Doug, then JWill and Bobby and the bench mob too.

You could always do like other NBA teams and hang a banner instead for the remainder of players you wish to honor for that era.

Just because you retire a jersey, doesn't necessarily mean that the number can never be used again. Ask the Lakers with Andrew Bynum's number and Shaq before him.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20041121/ai_n11486880