What 3 things do you want to see in camp/Training Camp 2019

1) shooting from Fox. For the Kings to take the next step Fox must take another step and that will entail improving his shooting percentages.

2) team play from Bagley. Marvin will put up stats but for the Kings to win he has to be a good team player. That means seeing the open man and sharing the ball. It means playing better team defense and being a strong help defender.

3) drawing fouls from Buddy. Fouls are the highest shots in expected points. Buddy is a good free throw shooter and must get better at getting to the line.

An actual offensive system that included way more pick n roll basketball. I’m sick of dribble hand offs, halfhearted screens and trying to beat the shot clock.
Also, Fox’ biggest issue, for me, was not his shooting percentages, but his aggression. he picked his spots well for the most part, but he could stand to look for his own a bit more if you ask me.

1. I'm most interested in what schemes Walton will implement offensively and defensively.

2. The big rotation. Does Giles force his way into bigger minutes or fade to the back? How much small ball does Walton use?

3. What role does Walton use Bogi in? I can see Walton taking a huge liking to Bogi because of his basketball IQ, which is why he stuck in the league.

1) shooting from Fox. For the Kings to take the next step Fox must take another step and that will entail improving his shooting percentages.

2) team play from Bagley. Marvin will put up stats but for the Kings to win he has to be a good team player. That means seeing the open man and sharing the ball. It means playing better team defense and being a strong help defender.

3) drawing fouls from Buddy. Fouls are the highest shots in expected points. Buddy is a good free throw shooter and must get better at getting to the line.
I don't expect him to do that. That is not his game. The first two points are spot on.

I don't expect him to do that. That is not his game. The first two points are spot on.
Interesting do you mean he can’t do that or that he shouldn’t do that? As a starting guard Buddy ranks 70th in free throw attempts. If he is going to improve his game on the offensive end it would seem to be a glaring weakness in his game.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I want to see Bogs play like he did in the World Games.

I want to see total buy-in on the defensive side of the ball (Walton's priority) by the entire team.

I want to see Fox exert more authority on the court. Walton said that the offense will begin with penetration, and then find the outside shooters. Fox is a big key in this regard.

Did Marvin grow? He looks bigger than Giles by a decent amount
Height or body wise? Giles is turned at an angle which makes him seem smaller than Bagley. Giles is closer to the camera so his height looks about the same but if he was standing side by side with Marvin, he would be a little bit shorter.

Interesting do you mean he can’t do that or that he shouldn’t do that? As a starting guard Buddy ranks 70th in free throw attempts. If he is going to improve his game on the offensive end it would seem to be a glaring weakness in his game.
Probably both. He is not a great ball-handler, and probably will never be. He should continue to play to his strength. Outside shooting, moving the ball on offense, quick reactions without hesitation. I expect Fox to be one who penetrates and either finishes or kicks the ball outside.

Side note, not having a secondary playmaker in the starting line-up could pose a problem.

Height or body wise? Giles is turned at an angle which makes him seem smaller than Bagley. Giles is closer to the camera so his height looks about the same but if he was standing side by side with Marvin, he would be a little bit shorter.
He was probably looking at their shoulders. I noticed it too. Not their head height as Giles has such a long neck. Marvin is gonna be a beast who commands space. Solid lower body and what looks to be man-shoulders. His offensive and defensive potential is unreal with that body and those quick ups.

I wanna see:

Fox better pick his spots to look to score.

Holmes and Giles man the frontline off the bench.

Dedmon be that floor spacer and rim protector we so desperately need from the 5.

Honorable mention: Bagley drawing doubles and learning how to see the floor better. Being more willing to pass the ball. I think he was just so eager to prove something last year in limited minutes that he pushed it a little. I think once he settles into his new role he will excel in a major way.

Probably both. He is not a great ball-handler, and probably will never be. He should continue to play to his strength. Outside shooting, moving the ball on offense, quick reactions without hesitation. I expect Fox to be one who penetrates and either finishes or kicks the ball outside.

Side note, not having a secondary playmaker in the starting line-up could pose a problem.
There is more than one way to get to the line. Kevin Martin made a career out of getting his man in the air to draw fouls. There is no reason Buddy couldn't do the same.

There is more than one way to get to the line. Kevin Martin made a career out of getting his man in the air to draw fouls. There is no reason Buddy couldn't do the same.
Yeah but this comparison doesnt even start with Buddy. Kevin was an anomaly, not a pure shooter, unorthodox stroke, insane body control with his athleticism. Buddy is a PURE shooter. He has a smooth stroke. His athleticism is straight line.

The only reason why KMart drew so many fouls was because he was unorthodox. He was difficult to guard because his shot was wonky and he had control when leaning his way. That is also ultimately why Lonzo Ball will never succeed scoring. He is unorthodox and VERY unathletic when leaning his way.

Buddy probably can do that, assuming it does not affect negatively his shooting efficiency. However, I am not sure about that. It requires to focus both on driving foul and hitting the shot. It is a rare ability. Besides, I hate that approach :)

Last edited:
Buddy said a few times this off-season that a big goal was to work on getting to the line more. He sees it as a necessary step to improving as a scorer.

As a side note, Peja's best season as a pro came when he was about the same age Buddy is now.

Peja upped his FTA to a little over 5 per game and his FT% from just under 88% to over 92% while increasing his 2PA by just under 2 per game. Buddy's FT% last season was just over 88%.

Buddy can take a page from another great Kings shooter and be a little more aggressive in terms of attacking closeouts or using back cuts to get inside for layups or free throws.

So it's not like Buddy has to become James Harden. He just has to pump fake threes more often and take it hard to the basket for easy scores or fouls 2 or 3 times a game or react to over plays with hard cuts more often.

One extra bucket and two or three made FTs take him from a 20 ppg scorer to a 24.5 ppg scorer.

Last edited:
I will never forget. Proud to be one of the early advocates of the Giles Jokic comparison
As was I, but it’s a little early to be gloating. The Kings brought in Holmes for a reason and I don’t think it’s just Dedmon and Giles injury history. I think Giles hated playing for Dave. He mentioned not being allowed to shoot from 3 last year. This year could be better. But let’s hope Giles fixed his shooting motion and comes up straight with the ball versus crossing his face.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Buddy said a few times this off-season that a big goal was to work on getting to the line more. He sees it as a necessary step to improving as a scorer.

As a side note, Peja's best season as a pro came when he was about the same age Buddy is now.

Peja upped his FTA to a little over 5 per game and his FT% from just under 88% to over 92% while increasing his 2PA by just under 2 per game. Buddy's FT% last season was just over 88%.

Buddy can take a page from another great Kings shooter and be a little more aggressive in terms of attacking closeouts or using back cuts to get inside for layups or free throws.

So it's not like Buddy has to become James Harden. He just has to pump fake threes more often and take it hard to the basket for easy scores or fouls 2 or 3 times a game or react to over plays with hard cuts more often.

One extra bucket and two or three made FTs take him from a 20 ppg scorer to a 24.5 ppg scorer.
And to add to what you are saying, he's got to do it off the play of others. He can't just be a Kobe and go one-on-one as the initiator of the action. Penetration must occur, the ball swing to him when he's open, and then when a defender is flying at him he can fake the 3 pointer and go hard to the basket and hopefully get a 3 point play. When the Kings are in the half court and the other team is set with their defense I do not want to see Buddy clapping for the ball at the wing and then Fox giving it up to him to initiate play. It was interesting to me that when Walton was talking about the penetrating players on this team (those who initiate the play) he rightly left Buddy off the list.

And to add to what you are saying, he's got to do it off the play of others. He can't just be a Kobe and go one-on-one as the initiator of the action. Penetration must occur, the ball swing to him when he's open, and then when a defender is flying at him he can fake the 3 pointer and go hard to the basket and hopefully get a 3 point play. When the Kings are in the half court and the other team is set with their defense I do not want to see Buddy clapping for the ball at the wing and then Fox giving it up to him to initiate play. It was interesting to me that when Walton was talking about the penetrating players on this team (those who initiate the play) he rightly left Buddy off the list.
Yeah, Buddy made strides as a ballhandler in the pick & roll but he shouldn't be initiating the offense. What he absolutely should be is an offensive threat that the defense always has to account for and who uses motion to either open himself up for an opportunity or to help continuously space the floor for penetration.

Ok, he can become anything, just, please, not Harden.