We've made an offer to Monta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see! I agree with that.
funny...

as for the Mavs: so you dismantle a championship roster for that, huh? Calderon and Ellis. well, Mazel tov. could be saying something about letting talent bleed and the pitfalls of cap flexibility without enough real assets on your team, but that might be too negative. just happy that Monta Ellis is safely signed elsewhere.

My short-lived obsession with acquiring Monta was in part due just not being sold on Vasquez. Reading about his defensive stats, and how much his playmaking may/may not have been assisted by the N.O. system, I don't have confidence that his physical attributes will allow him to be quality at this level and hopefully he proves me wrong

ellis is off to dallas, likely at around $10 million per. dodged a bullet. very good. now it's time to see what PDA and co. can accomplish via trade. i remain unimpressed with the first trade of their inaugural offseason. i hope they can follow it up with complementary moves that bring back defense and penetration. otherwise we're in for a rough year...

ellis is off to dallas, likely at around $10 million per. dodged a bullet. very good. now it's time to see what PDA and co. can accomplish via trade. i remain unimpressed with the first trade of their inaugural offseason. i hope they can follow it up with complementary moves that bring back defense and penetration. otherwise we're in for a rough year...
I'd actually put a premium on just getting rid of some of the duplicates we've got flying around here. getting good locker room guys is well and good, but if minutes are getting crushed because people can't be played together, even the nicest guys can turn into malcontents real fast. nevermind that getting rid of the actual malcontents could be a good idea.

What? How are u unimpressed with acquiring Mbah for nothing?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
For better or worse, Evans' departure was not a trade in any real sense. It was a decision to let him walk at 4 years/$44-48 million. Whether that balking at the eventual price tag or the new FO deciding that he wasn't a foundational player in their eyes or both we'll likely never know. But Vasquez was a throw in who cleared up roster and cap space for New Orleans and their glut of guards. In my mind he's a one year rental for the Kings who they think can help improve the ball movement that Malone has continually stressed. Team defense and ball movement have been the two things he has cited most often in terms of what the Kings need to change.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with the mindset but reading between the lines it seems the new regime was never looking to put Tyreke back at PG because he dominated the ball too often when it was in his hands.

Now if they really DO like Vasquez and eventually re-sign him then I'll have to change my outlook but for now I view him as a throw in who will could aid in changing the team culture while not effecting the cap situation.

I was unhappy that they didn't match the offer for Tyreke but I'm reserving the full extent of my ire until I see (1) how Evans plays for the Pelicans this season (2) how Vasquez plays for the Kings and (3) whether I'm correct that Greivis will not be retained beyond this season.

will other players discern the difference, though? or agents, for that matter.

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/sho...quot-pull-the-offer-quot-move-on-Calderon-too
"It just wasn’t the right timing for him right now. They did a great job. They have a great vision for where they’re going with the franchise. They have a ton of energy. It’s just where Jose is, they’re rebuilding and everything, it just wasn’t the right fit right now."

That's from Jose's agent.

when a team with so little going for it as ours gives the impression that it won't give a free agent the time to actually weigh his options before pulling an offer sheet, then yeah, it's a bad precedent. it's not as if players or agents won't take notice. ask Calderon.
PDA and Vivek must have received intel that Iguodala was never going to sign with the Kings and was simply using their offer as a baseline for negotiations with other teams. I see no reason why anybody would want to be used by players who have no intention of signing their offer to get a better contract with another team.

PDA and Vivek must have received intel that Iguodala was never going to sign with the Kings and was simply using their offer as a baseline for negotiations with other teams. I see no reason why anybody would want to be used by players who have no intention of signing their offer to get a better contract with another team.
Pretty obvious when you see where he was going to go and knowing that the front office has lots of contacts within the Warriors org.

Also looks like the Monta rumors were more coming from the Monta's end. When Sam Amick mentions that there was talk from the other end than the Kings side, I believe him.

Status
Not open for further replies.