We've made an offer to Monta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why haven't we heard a number then? And there's that whole issue where we have to either amnesty Salmons or deal a contract like JT/thornton to make an Ellis deal work. Neither of which we've been reported of doing thus far.

Talking to a FA and making an offer are two entirely different things. Not surprising you don't understand that though
I think they made an offer, it just isn't one that Ellis is ready to accept. You know something in the $6-7 mil range. Which is different than the first day of FA offering one of the top 5 free agents a big contract. Since you still have many options available and you don't want to sit around waiting for AI to decide when your working on other deals.

I think they made an offer, it just isn't one that Ellis is ready to accept. You know something in the $6-7 mil range. Which is different than the first day of FA offering one of the top 5 free agents a big contract. Since you still have many options available and you don't want to sit around waiting for AI to decide when your working on other deals.
That may be. But we still don't even know that much. We've been linked to Monta for what... roughly 3 days in the FA period now? You'd think we hear something along the lines of

"Kings preparing to amnesty John Salmons and offer Monta a 3yr/28 mil deal." Or whatever.

I think they made an offer, it just isn't one that Ellis is ready to accept. You know something in the $6-7 mil range.
You know what? If that's the case, the longer he goes without signing with anyone, the better chance we have of getting him for that price.

And I would be happy with that.

Not that I expect we will, we're really not in the mix - But for that price, he'd be more than a bargain.

Milwaukee released his cap hold today - meaning S&T's just got a lot harder for teams to do for Monta. I'm sure he'll end up in ATL with all their space sitting there.

If it's bad precedent for the FO not to let itself get jerked around by a FA, I'll take it every day.
when a team with so little going for it as ours gives the impression that it won't give a free agent the time to actually weigh his options before pulling an offer sheet, then yeah, it's a bad precedent. it's not as if players or agents won't take notice. ask Calderon.

when a team with so little going for it as ours gives the impression that it won't give a free agent the time to actually weigh his options before pulling an offer sheet, then yeah, it's a bad precedent. it's not as if players or agents won't take notice. ask Calderon.
There's a difference between "weighing options" and "how can I play these yokels?"

Sounds like he's going to Dallas, according to Stein on Twitter. Three years, could rise to $30 million (must have some incentives/non-guaranteed).
Here's Stein's tweet....
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m

Monta Ellis and Mavericks closing in on a three-year deal that could rise to as much as $30 million. Deal on course to be completed today

will other players discern the difference, though? or agents, for that matter.

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/sho...quot-pull-the-offer-quot-move-on-Calderon-too
Offers come and go. Teams talk to almost every free agent and sometimes you do not know what offer is legit or they just want to explore the market. The only reason to believe that Calderon decided not to join the Kings as org because of the Iggy situation IS your negative attitude to PDA's FO. PDA took that offer off the table not because Iggy needed more time to decide and see other options. Now we know it. Iggy's camp lied to us and used our offer. PDA realized that and that fact that they had no real intentions to join our org. PDA could make a mess out of it, exposed that agent using national mass media big time etc. but he just pulled that offer. Strong move without drama. And if it was a precedent, it was a good one. If you wanna do biz with us, do it the right way. We will not tolarate BSing.

My position is still the same - we do not know how good PDA is. We have to give him time because we are in a tough position. The Kings as an org was Maloofed for years. We still have a reputation as a weak, unstable and stupid franchise and only winning can help us to fix that.

Kings desperately need a scorer in their current lineup. I used to be pretty certain McLemore would start, but now I'm not so sure because the starting lineup will need Thorton's shots.

Wow. near 3/30 is a lot more than I thought he would get at this point, what exactly were the Mavs bidding against? Mavs already had a crowded backcourt didn't they?

So Dallas is going to start Calderon and Ellis in the back court. They have no center and a 78 year old Dirk at PF.

Folks, we're moving at least from the 30th to 29th ranked defense.

Offers come and go. Teams talk to almost every free agent and sometimes you do not know what offer is legit or they just want to explore the market. The only reason to believe that Calderon decided not to join the Kings as org because of the Iggy situation IS your negative attitude to PDA's FO. PDA took that offer off the table not because Iggy needed more time to decide and see other options. Now we know it. Iggy's camp lied to us and used our offer. PDA realized that and that fact that they had no real intentions to join our org. PDA could make a mess out of it, exposed that agent using national mass media big time etc. but he just pulled that offer. Strong move without drama. And if it was a precedent, it was a good one. If you wanna do biz with us, do it the right way. We will not tolarate BSing.

My position is still the same - we do not know how good PDA is. We have to give him time because we are in a tough position. The Kings as an org was Maloofed for years. We still have a reputation as a weak, unstable and stupid franchise and only winning can help us to fix that.
you misunderstand me. I believe Calderon signed with Dallas for other reason (that contract *is* pretty massive), what I took away from that quote was that Calderon saw what happened with that contract and saved it under "crazy instability of FA market". I, for one, don't want the Kings to be associated with that notion.

So Dallas is going to start Calderon and Ellis in the back court. They have no center and a 78 year old Dirk at PF.

we actually were 29th last year. the Bobcats were worse than us. [/nitpick]

you misunderstand me. I believe Calderon signed with Dallas for other reason (that contract *is* pretty massive), what I took away from that quote was that Calderon saw what happened with that contract and saved it under "crazy instability of FA market". I, for one, don't want the Kings to be associated with that notion. [/nitpick]
I see! I agree with that.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Oh, cheer up. :) I think we dodged a bullet. We already have a shooter in McLemore who also plays defense, BTW. This already puts him ahead of MT. Ellis would have created yet another chaotic collection of guards. I have tremendous faith in McLemore and will be surprised if he doesn't take over the starting position soon into the season. I don't know what on earth we would have done if we had acquired Monta and suspect our "interest" in him was more a simple phone call of inquiry and nothing serious.

The rebuilding of this team could fill most of our missing pieces as to fit this year but that's asking an awful lot to hope for. Moves will be made up until the trade deadline in February or whenever it is. There is another summer to go through and I expect by the end of next summer, our team will be very close to where we all want and that is a winning team that plays a version of offense that is recognizable and a defense that is vastly improved by virtue of our coach.

I am not wise enough to analyze the why's and wherefore's of what makes one team click and another to fall on its face but I, along with every darn Kings Fan I know, understands in at least a rudimentary way what was going wrong last year. We are fixing that starting with what by all I can recognize is a remarkable front office. Excellence starts at the top whether you are the CEO of Hooters or an arena football team. My only question mark is PDA but he was shoved into this position rather abruptly. He doesn't get a free pass as he should have a decent idea of what the Kings need but he didn't have the luxury of even short term relationships with the people he worked with. He at least had the long term memory to understand that Monta's absence from the Warriors might have had a lot to do with their improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.