Welcome Robert Woodard

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Woodard was one of the players I had targeted in the 2nd rd. Good shooter who shot right at 43% from the three, and almost 50% overall. Excellent defender with a huge wingspan which allows him to play taller than his 6'7" height. Very strong and physical player who can play the PF position as well as the SF position. he also averaged 6.5 rebounds a game. Welcome aboard amigo!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I see Woodard as a 3 & D player, who could eventually work his way into a starting role. Very good athlete and smart. Good on the ball as well as team defender. He was one of my targets in the 2nd rd, and I thought it was possible some team might take him at the bottom of the first round. My only regret with this draft, and believe me, I'm a happy camper, is that we didn't grab Killian Tillie with our last 2nd rd pick. But you can't have everything you want. I understand that the Grizzleys have signed him. They got a gem of a player.

dude12

Hall of Famer
He certainly looks like what I had hoped they would pick up with the first or second pick. Once he gets caught up to speed it will be interesting to see him and Barnes play together

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I really like Woodard for our team. We needed a tough, switchable combo forward who will focus on defense and knock down open 3s. His weakness is creating off the dribble but I almost see it as a strength for a 3 and D wing that they'll move the ball instead of putting it on the floor hunting shots. The Spurs always have like 3 or 4 of these guys. It's nice to see our new front office targeting the right types of players to fill roles instead of throwing whatever against the wall and relying on our coaching staff to make sense out of it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I really like Woodard for our team. We needed a tough, switchable combo forward who will focus on defense and knock down open 3s. His weakness is creating off the dribble but I almost see it as a strength for a 3 and D wing that they'll move the ball instead of putting it on the floor hunting shots. The Spurs always have like 3 or 4 of these guys. It's nice to see our new front office targeting the right types of players to fill roles instead of throwing whatever against the wall and relying on our coaching staff to make sense out of it.
I think the emergence of the “big creator wing” like Kawhi or PG or Jimmy Butler has broken scouts to the point that they almost overvalue shot creating to the point of devaluing solid fundamental 3-and-D players. Sure it would be nice if every single small forward out there was capable of creating his own shot but not everyone needs to be out there pretending they’re Luka. (Also Kawhi, PG, and Butler all started as 3 and D wings who developed into playmaking studs far later into their careers than people seem to remember)

He has the build to hang with NBA players on day 1, but to earn time he needs to
#1 work on perimeter defense, especially close-outs; not biting on pump fakes (leaves his feet often)
#2 develop a low-post offense

He can defend the other team's PF, but does he deserve minutes at the 4 if he lacks a offensive game in the low post?

Played under Ben Howland. Luc Mbah a Moute, Russ, Darren Collison, & Norm Powell were all under the radar recruits, who are/were on track to have 10 year NBA careers because they learned how to play NBA level, man to man defense under Howland. That is all you really need to know about whether he's going to stick and be a plus defensive player.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
James Ham @James_HamNBCS
Confirming Woodard contract details from earlier. Four year deal, although year three is guaranteed at just $300K and the fourth year is a team option. Pretty solid commitment from Kings for second rounder.
So it sounds like it may be for $1.5M in the first year, and then likely the minimum in each of the next 3 years with only $300K guaranteed in year 3 and nothing guaranteed in year 4. So it would be something like: $1.5M/$1.52M/$1.78M/$1.93M Solid contract for the Kings. Not much more than a minimum deal, and has him locked up for four years if he pans out, with an easy out after two years if he doesn't.