Welcome Neemias Queta

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Wait... are you complaining about a 2nd round pick being used as a sellout pick to attract fans?
I'm not complaining, like I said I am optimistic for basketball reasons.

Just noting that getting a nation of new fans historically brings a lot of unwanted headaches especially when the player isn't featured in the main rotation.

But like I said, I'm hopeful that given the present value of big men in the modern game, we may have gotten a steal here.

2 way contract? That's really interesting.

Woodard was drafted last year at #40. He signed a 4-year contract. He had $3.3million guaranteed in the first 3 years. Ramsey was drafted at #43 and signed a 3 year rookie contract. He had his first 2 year guaranteed.

Queta was drafted a few picks higher around the same range at #39... but only got a 2-way contract. It's not unusual for 2nd round picks to get 2-way contracts, but I wonder if this has something to with the FO having to re-evaluate their approach to 2nd round contracts? Woodard and Ramsey haven't really done much to convince me they'll see real PT next season, wouldn't be shocked if the FO felt the same way.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Woodard was drafted last year at #40. He signed a 4-year contract. He had $3.3million guaranteed in the first 3 years. Ramsey was drafted at #43 and signed a 3 year rookie contract. He had his first 2 year guaranteed.

Queta was drafted a few picks higher around the same range at #39... but only got a 2-way contract. It's not unusual for 2nd round picks to get 2-way contracts, but I wonder if this has something to with the FO having to re-evaluate their approach to 2nd round contracts? Woodard and Ramsey haven't really done much to convince me they'll see real PT next season, wouldn't be shocked if the FO felt the same way.
I wouldn't be surprised if the FO has a bit of buyer's remorse over the Woodard/Ramsey contracts.

There may be some other factors in play as well. With Holmes back and Len and TT backing him up, and considering that Bagley (if not traded) and Metu will also play some C, there's not a lot of projected minutes for Queta. If we felt like he wasn't likely to contribute, it makes sense to develop him in Stockton without the expense of a roster spot. With our new signings, and Metu (who I think is a lock) and Jones and James (not locks) we have 15 roster spots already taken up. We may want to sign another player with the MLE, or we could do something like trade Buddy for two contracts, and having Queta on a 2-way give us that extra roster spot. In the end, it could be the difference between reluctantly cutting Justin James (or Ramsey, for that matter), or keeping him for another year of development.

I think it's just a matter of not locking up all your roster slots long-term. I really like their process with Woodard/Ramsey; getting them on insanely cheap deals to where they potentially hit, give you extreme value, and then maintain their RFA rights after being vastly underpaid for a few years. If they miss, at worst it's cheap last man on the bench depth that's pretty easy to eat financially or trade off to a team that's looking for warm bodies to fill their roster.

It looks like we can cut both Ramsey and Woodard though next season, judging by a quick look at Spotrac. Only Woodard was given the 4 year deal, Ramsey a 3-year, if we keep him. My guess is if one or both of them don't work out, you end up upgrading Queta to a full-roster slot and giving him that same kind of 2-year window to show something. Which, is smart honestly; it seems like McNair has really made it a priority to develop "long shot" guys and give them an opportunity. Woodard, Ramsey, Metu, Jones, King, Queta. Very similar to what Farhan has done with the Giants the first few years that's lead to them best record in baseball this year; take a ton of shots on goal and hope you find a seriously undervalued player.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
^ yeah, I don't think we have roster slots to sign Queta to a guaranteed?
If we sign a 2-way and upgrade to a 2 or 3 year after this year, do we maintain RFA when it's over?

Unfortunately I do think this is why we have to be mindful of how many 2nd rounders we have over the next 2-3 seasons. We can't really stash these guys until we actually have a playoff quality roster with our top 8-9.

I think it's just a matter of not locking up all your roster slots long-term. I really like their process with Woodard/Ramsey; getting them on insanely cheap deals to where they potentially hit, give you extreme value, and then maintain their RFA rights after being vastly underpaid for a few years. If they miss, at worst it's cheap last man on the bench depth that's pretty easy to eat financially or trade off to a team that's looking for warm bodies to fill their roster.

It looks like we can cut both Ramsey and Woodard though next season, judging by a quick look at Spotrac. Only Woodard was given the 4 year deal, Ramsey a 3-year, if we keep him. My guess is if one or both of them don't work out, you end up upgrading Queta to a full-roster slot and giving him that same kind of 2-year window to show something. Which, is smart honestly; it seems like McNair has really made it a priority to develop "long shot" guys and give them an opportunity. Woodard, Ramsey, Metu, Jones, King, Queta. Very similar to what Farhan has done with the Giants the first few years that's lead to them best record in baseball this year; take a ton of shots on goal and hope you find a seriously undervalued player.
I think I am ok keeping Ramsey as our 6th Guard( behind Fox,Buddy,Hali,Mitchell,TD), at Least he has shown flashes in summer league
if Buddy traded we could really need him as a 5th guard

At SF if its Barnes,Harkless,James,Woodard,King since we may have to cut one roster spot it comes down to James or Woodard I think due to poor showing in summer league, King has outplayed him, I would cut Woodard , James is guar on 8/15, we can keep up to 20 on roster during summer. We dont have to make final decision until end of training camp unless not needed due to a trade. If we do cut Woodard or James it only costs 1.5m. Both King and Queta can be converted anytime during the regular season

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Queta will be a 2nd round steal that the Kings never hit on. I’ve watched this guy play San Diego State throughout the years and I’m pretty perplexed why he didn’t get drafted in the 1st round. The guys clearly got the size, pretty nimble for a big man, solid passer, gets rebounds just from size alone, High energy, communicates well. Monte was right that he didn’t understand why somebody with his stature and skillset didn’t get drafted in the 1st (even I forgot about him until I saw that he got drafted with an OH YEAH THAT GUY). Now with a cheap 2 year contract, G League is gonna make Queta grow quickly and come up to give minutes this season. We most likely finally hit on a 2nd round imo. We breaking out of Basketball Hell cause we leaving soon

Last edited:
Probably the first player that the Kings drafted in the second round that was on my list of guys I hoped they were able to draft. The other was Herbert Jones but I’m surprised Queta fell to us. Hopefully he gets some burn for us this season.

The analyst from yesterday's game had a pretty good read on Queta. He needs to play bigger and stronger. Was getting completely dislodged from his position by much smaller players. There's a reason why Terry seems like he's a constant terror on the glass, while the much bigger and more imposing Queta is no where to be seen on the boards half the time. Will be interesting to follow his development. He could easily be Clint Capela 2.0 but he's going to have to get tougher.

The analyst from yesterday's game had a pretty good read on Queta. He needs to play bigger and stronger. Was getting completely dislodged from his position by much smaller players. There's a reason why Terry seems like he's a constant terror on the glass, while the much bigger and more imposing Queta is no where to be seen on the boards half the time. Will be interesting to follow his development. He could easily be Clint Capela 2.0 but he's going to have to get tougher.
He has a really awkward base and plays top heavy. Hopefully Rico can coach him up. He is a monster though.

he definitely is a project that needs work. I don’t think he’s far away from beating out smaller players for rebounds with some pro training though. Against big men though, we’ll see when he can turn that around