Welcome Malik Monk

It would have to be Holmes/Barnes/Davis for Harris/Thybulle to work but it is still possible.
I think I’d be interested.
With the acquisitions of both Monk and Huerter i’m not seeing where another guard in Davis finds much playing time.
Guess Huerter can play some SF but would rather combine all our newly acquired shooting with a real defensive stop in Thybulle.

I think I’d be interested.
With the acquisitions of both Monk and Huerter i’m not seeing where another guard in Davis finds much playing time.
Guess Huerter can play some SF but would rather combine all our newly acquired shooting with a real defensive stop in Thybulle.
Yea that would be a pretty interesting team, still have the BAE to use on someone like Caleb Martin or Kessler Edwards.

Fox / Mitchell
Huerter / Monk
Thybulle / Martin/Edwards
Harris / Murray
Sabonis / Len

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We would have his early bird rights which means we can sign him to 175 percent of the last year of his contract. 17.4 mil per season

Jordan Poole is getting 32 mil a year which is a gross over pay but they are similar players. 17 might not be enough to retain Monk if he improves on this years numbers. A problem for another day I suppose

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The two parties in at two party contract can re-negotiate a contract.
NBA contracts are governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NBA and the Players' Association. Under the rules of that CBA, Monk's contract cannot be either extended (must be at least three years in length) or renegotiated (must be at least four years in length).

NBA contracts are governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NBA and the Players' Association. Under the rules of that CBA, Monk's contract cannot be either extended (must be at least three years in length) or renegotiated (must be at least four years in length).
What was thinking going up against Capt. What was I absolute thinking? lol

Mike Brown made the same mistake with Malik Monk that his two coaches in Charlotte made: never once trying him out as a starter. There is an uncanny chemistry between Fox and Monk, in addition to their long friendship. Why not take advantage of it?

I said this several times during the season, but at no time was it more important than in the playoffs, when Monk led the team on numerous occasions. When push comes to shove, you want leaders on the floor.

Last edited:
I was hoping that Mr. Monk would improve his dribbling skills in the offseason, tighten up those occasionally loose handles. So far, I have not seen it. On the other hand, everything seems to be coming more easily this training camp, with a year's familiarity with coach and players.

I was hoping that Mr. Monk would improve his dribbling skills in the offseason, tighten up those occasionally loose handles. So far, I have not seen it. On the other hand, everything seems to be coming more easily this training camp, with a year's familiarity with coach and players.
Monk is what he is and that's a pretty big bonus. However, the contract is short, times ticking.

Heroics just do not impress Coach Mike Brown:

“It’s important. He’s a really good offensive player for us,” Brown said postgame. “He knows, I know and shoot, everybody in Sacramento knows he can play at a high level on that end of the floor. What he’s got to do is lock in defensively for us. And when he does, he can be a really good, high-level two-way player that can start at times.

“It would be hard for me to start him just because I love the spark that he gives us and the versatility that he gives us coming off the bench. But it’s all about whether or not he wants to play on the other end of the floor. And if he does, there’s nobody better because he does so much with the basketball.”

There you have it in a nutshell. Rewarding players for doing well is not part of the coaching equation.

https://sports.yahoo.com/malik-monk-perfectly-displays-unique-065420211.html

Last edited:

“It’s important. He’s a really good offensive player for us,” Brown said postgame. “He knows, I know and shoot, everybody in Sacramento knows he can play at a high level on that end of the floor. What he’s got to do is lock in defensively for us. And when he does, he can be a really good, high-level two-way player that can start at times.

“It would be hard for me to start him just because I love the spark that he gives us and the versatility that he gives us coming off the bench. But it’s all about whether or not he wants to play on the other end of the floor. And if he does, there’s nobody better because he does so much with the basketball.”

There you have it in a nutshell. Rewarding players for doing well is not part of the coaching equation.

Is starting the only reward in your mind? This is a very odd statement and takeaway. He literally was rewarded with the coach giving him the ball in OT to carry the team.

Is starting the only reward in your mind? This is a very odd statement and takeaway. He literally was rewarded with the coach giving him the ball in OT to carry the team.
When Monk came to Sacramento, he was asked if he wanted to start? He said, of course, everyone wants to start. It is not the only reward, but a big one, that could pay dividends for the team, especially with Fox out for a couple of weeks.

When Monk came to Sacramento, he was asked if he wanted to start? He said, of course, everyone wants to start. It is not the only reward, but a big one, that could pay dividends for the team, especially with Fox out for a couple of weeks.
That’s your interpretation and that’s fine, but nothing is greater than being trusted in the most pivotal moments of a game and being given the keys to go and win for us, IMO. One of our biggest advantages is having him come in and lead that second unit (with a combination of our starters in there) so it’s really not a big deal. Of course Monk wouldn’t turn down a starting opportunity but that’s more about optics than anything else.

He’s shown that he’s a team player and wanting to start vs pouting because you aren’t starting are two different things. We’ve dealt with the latter before and that doesn’t seem to be a part of his personality. Mike Brown coaches our players in a specific way because he knows he can.

Odd to read that quote from Coach Brown and that’s your takeaway. There is virtually zero percent chance Malik doesn’t understand he’s loved by this organization. Coach loves what Malik brings to the second unit and regularly in the past year has pushed him as sixth man of the year. He’s holding everyone’s feet to the fire with respect to playing on both sides of the court. I’ve heard him say virtually the same thing about pretty much every player on the team in the past month.

Monk had his fourth career double-double: "If I’m not hitting shots, I always find another way to impact the day,” Monk said. "I finally got 10 assists for the first time in my career. I just try to do stuff different if I’m not hitting shots. I don’t care about the misses. I’ve got crazy confidence."

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nat...-monk-crazy-confidence-trail-blazers/3366259/

I think it might help if he shot three a little more quickly, in rhythm, rather than either taking too long or rushing it. Also, responding to what another poster observed in the game thread, his percentage goes down when he is more than a step from the three-point line.