Welcome Malik Monk

I hope to make it back to the States next season and catch my first game at Golden One.
Fox with Monk should be ridiculous fun to watch together. I feel like Monte is slowly fixing what Vlade screwed up in 2017. Monk wasn’t my pick at 10 but close enough.
For me this also makes passing on Ivey insignificant. Can’t wait to see how Monk plays against him.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
If Monk can help bring the fun back to Sactown basketball he'll be worth every penny. This feels like a whole new team at this point. We barely got to see Fox and Sabonis together last year and now they'll have a proven shooter on the wing, a stud rookie forward, and a championship winning coach supporting them. I'm excited!

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Getting Monk doesn't make up for losing DDV and Jones. Kings are underwater at this point and need some major deals to get their head above water.

If it's a Monk for DDV "trade" then it sucks;
No, it doesn't.

Monk is a superior shooter and is an ascending player, especially the past 2+ seasons.

DDV meanwhile has kinda remained stagnant and has been injury prone.

Honestly, for me, when you don't like something it probably means it's actually a good thing ;)

Getting Monk doesn't make up for losing DDV and Jones. Kings are underwater at this point and need some major deals to get their head above water.
Are you EVER happy or excited about anything?? Sheesh.

Dude shot 35% from the field last season. Which is dreadful. Yet you're pretending as if we just let Mike Bibby walk in his prime. Unreal.

Welcome to the team!

This is exactly what I wanted and needed to really get into next season. I really like Monk and can't wait to see how he and Fox play together. I think it will lots of fun. Between them, Sabonis, and hopefully Murray the chemistry could be a far greater than anything we've had in a long time.

I think the word here is accountability.

If they keep each other moving forward and pushing towards the playoffs, then you'll get the best side of Monk and Fox under Brown's tutelage. I'm just going to focus on the positive potential here, because between Monk and TD, the scoring from the SG position is set.

Well, im ok with the move provided we make additional ones to shore up our defense desperately need to make some moves on the wings (martins, GP2 AND Otto Porter are still out there). Im ok keeping Holmes as i do think getting cutstody of his son back will help settle his mind and get him roling again. Brown seems to like him a lotnand he seems to want to buy in to brown so that will go a long way in making him effective again. I can also see this team playing somewhat above the rim on passes from Fox and Sabonis.

As it stands rn The Kings only have 2 PG's on the books, I dont think its farfetched to say that Monk can slide into the 3rd string PG spot better than most of the other SG options the Kings could've gone after.

Monk was operating the P'n'R for the Lakers, I could see him running it with Holmes.

Not saying I think this will be something we see often, but on nights when he's running particularly hot it could be a nice wrinkle to keep him on the floor.

It seemed like Monte preferred the certainty of Malik Monk’s offense over DDV’s inconsistent, wild offense with solid defense. I can understand the move because when you’re aiming for the Playoffs, you have to eliminate as much uncertainty as possible and we know we’re getting a great shooter with Monk. Monte probably wasn’t comfortable going into next season potentially starting a five with just two good shooters (Barnes/Murray).

He addresses a key weakness, and we now have three good shooters surrounding Fox and Sabonis. The defense remains to be seen, we’ll need team buy in and for Mike Brown to come up with some good schemes.

All in all, I really like this move. Excited to see Malik in a Kings jersey next season!

Last edited:
As it stands rn The Kings only have 2 PG's on the books, I dont think its farfetched to say that Monk can slide into the 3rd string PG spot better than most of the other SG options the Kings could've gone after.

Monk was operating the P'n'R for the Lakers, I could see him running it with Holmes.

Not saying I think this will be something we see often, but on nights when he's running particularly hot it could be a nice wrinkle to keep him on the floor.
Also, it’s not out of the realm of possibility to see him stepping up as a 17-18 PPG scorer next year with a bigger role. This can lighten the load for Barnes and take some pressure off of Keegan in his early days.

Did you forget we still have Richaun Holmes who, until an extremely bizarre, injury-riddled year last season was considered a solid starting center? And now he gets to come off the bench and will share the court with Davion quite a bit.

I know Coach Cal is headed to Spain for this weeks FIBA U17 World Cup but I'm sure when he finally gets asked about this he'll have a big smile on his face and probably a good story or 2 to tell.

Last edited:
It means that net-net they are worse than when they started.
Even if this is the case, which is hard to really believe just on the basis of the 3pt shootings been improved so much, the Kings can win for losing and would end up with a good pick in a truly loaded draft class and a ticket to the Wembanyama sweepstakes.

It means that net-net they are worse than when they started.
I mean everyone’s entitled to their opinion but you’ve lost some of us with your line of thinking. Last year Monk was actually better on defense than DDV, Monk has always been a better shooter/playmaker than DDV and actually wants to be here. That’s a net gain. Losing our third string 5 who was never going to see minutes behind Sabo and Holmes seems like neither a gain nor a loss.

I understand being pessimistic with this franchise, but being so over the “loss” of DDV and the replaced with Monk doesn’t seem like it would even be in the top 25 reasons for being so.

I mean everyone’s entitled to their opinion but you’ve lost some of us with your line of thinking. Last year Monk was actually better on defense than DDV, Monk has always been a better shooter/playmaker than DDV and actually wants to be here. That’s a net gain. Losing our third string 5 who was never going to see minutes behind Sabo and Holmes seems like neither a gain nor a loss.

I understand being pessimistic with this franchise, but being so over the “loss” of DDV and the replaced with Monk doesn’t seem like it would even be in the top 25 reasons for being so.
The only issue between he and Donte is that the Kings actually managed to get even smaller at SG in terms of bulk. TD has proven he can guard bigger so that should help.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
The only issue between he and Donte is that the Kings actually managed to get even smaller at SG in terms of bulk. TD has proven he can guard bigger so that should help.
As long as the league continues to revolve around 3pt shooting, I'll give up size on defense in favor of speed and tenacity. Davion Mitchell can guard PFs on the perimeter but those dudes can't guard him. Keon Ellis and Jared Rhoden both have potential as defensive wings who could earn playing time for Coach Brown if their shooting also translates to the NBA. Monk's defense is a concern but if the other guards on the roster all pull their own weight we can handle playing one poor defender in the backcourt for a couple years.

I'm sure Monte will continue looking for full-size SGs who can defend. The only immediate goal is to get our toes in the playoff pool next year. We'll have more financial flexibility to add pieces in the 2023 or 2024 off-seasons but we need to show potential free agents they'll have a chance to win here first. And our best hope for making the playoffs next season rests on Mike Brown's ability to resurrect De'Aaron Fox's defensive game. Coach Brown singled him out in his intro press conference and now Monte brought in his college backcourt mate fresh off a career year to kickstart the throwback vibes. Sure there's some wishful thinking involved here but I'm choosing to view both of these developments as good omens that a franchise-saving act of defensive necromancy is in the offing.