Welcome Justin James!

Yeah, right?

If he ends up being a player, I think the fact that he seemed to fly under the radar shows that the pundits aren’t as great at doing their job as some seem to think and the KINGS might be a bit better than those same people give them credit for.

We shall see.
The pundits had Cam Johnson going in the 2nd round (he went 11th). They had Bol Bol & Little as possible lottery picks (they went 25th & 44th).

People like Sam build their draft boards by talking to league scouts and executives. If ESPN had zero notes on him, it wasn’t just fan boy journalists that didn’t know who he was.

If you are so certain, call him before the draft and tell him you will offer a 2 year guaranteed contract and draft THT, Pascall or Roby who all play positions with zero depth. Or trade up (for once) with your many 2nd round picks and get Kapala.

If I managed my money the way Vlade manages his picks I would be broke.
You keep saying that ESPN had zero notes on him, but they had video cued up for him immediately. They were obviously prepared for someone to pick him.

You keep saying that ESPN had zero notes on him, but they had video cued up for him immediately. They were obviously prepared for someone to pick him.
Did they have a video? I don't remember seeing it at all but I may have been on the laptop looking up who this guy even was.

They had a highlight reel cued up of Marinkovic that kind of surprised me.

Yeah, right?

If he ends up being a player, I think the fact that he seemed to fly under the radar shows that the pundits aren’t as great at doing their job as some seem to think and the KINGS might be a bit better than those same people give them credit for.

We shall see.
I think people are complaining that he could have been had with the 47th, 60th or even just signed undrafted. It's the fact that they used the 40th to nab him when there were some intriguing 3&D wings still on the board.

2012 draft, GS selected Harrison Barnes at 7 and Draymond at 35. If they would have reached for Draymond at 7, they still would have had a fantastic draft but they most likely would have ended up with Draymond and a no name 2nd rounder instead of Barnes and Draymond. There's no reason to ever reach for a player, especially when there is more than likely no competition at all to acquire that player.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Did they have a video? I don't remember seeing it at all but I may have been on the laptop looking up who this guy even was.

They had a highlight reel cued up of Marinkovic that kind of surprised me.
They had a highlight reel, but their comments were along the lines of

“.... he says he likes to dance.”

To be fair, the ESPN panel mentally checked out about 4 picks into the draft. Lmao

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, believe it or not, I actually saw him play, and more than once... He shot the ball really well his first two years at Wyoming. Around 40% from the three, but he really fell off the cliff his junior year which carried over to his senior year. The biggest difference between his first two years and he second two years, was the amount of shots he took. Especially his senior year when he took something like 160/170 three's.

I felt that as more of the offensive load was put on his shoulders, the more contested, or bad shots he took, which resulted in less efficiency. I think with better shot selection, and of course working on his shooting, he'll be fine in that dept. What makes him attractive is his ball handling and passing ability. He's also a player that likes to get up and down the floor, so he fits what the Kings are doing. The same could be said for Kyle Guy.

In short, James is probably similar to Bogdanovic in his skill set, but not as good right now. Nor would I expect him to be. Lets all remember that were talking about 2nd rd picks here. I'm optimistic, but also realistic. The odds of all three of these players becoming rotational NBA players are slim. Hell, the odds of one of them making it is slim. But it does happen, so I'll remain optimistic until it doesn't.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
In a way it's refreshing in this day and age that we drafted a guy so obscure that we actually have to do some digging to learn more about him.
:cool:
Not sure why he's perceived as obscure since he played in the same conference with San Diego St., UNR etc. The Cowboy's were on TV several times, but then, James wasn't exactly a household name. Then again, if he were a household name, the King's likely wouldn't have gotten him a 40. Dylan Windler wasn't a household name a couple of years ago, hell maybe even a year ago, but once everyone discovered him, wa la, he goes in the bottom of the first rd.

I guess what I'm saying is that Belmont with Windler was a more obscure school nationally than Wyoming was. Then again, Windler shared that conference with Ja Morant, who did draw a lot of attention to it. My opinion on this matter is worthless because I'm a college basketball junkie. I spend my spare time watching Eastern Kentucky play. You never know, there could be a diamond in the rough hiding there. ;)

I think people are complaining that he could have been had with the 47th, 60th or even just signed undrafted. It's the fact that they used the 40th to nab him when there were some intriguing 3&D wings still on the board.

2012 draft, GS selected Harrison Barnes at 7 and Draymond at 35. If they would have reached for Draymond at 7, they still would have had a fantastic draft but they most likely would have ended up with Draymond and a no name 2nd rounder instead of Barnes and Draymond. There's no reason to ever reach for a player, especially when there is more than likely no competition at all to acquire that player.

See that’s the thing about the complaining. It’s based upon speculation and nothing more. Nobody knows if the player still would have been available at one of the later picks. Anybody claiming otherwise is full of BS. Could he have been? Maybe. We’ll never know. Obviously the KINGS felt there was a chance he wouldn’t be there.

Regarding your Draymond example, we have the gift of hindsight to know he was eventually had at 35. But things could have worked out differently and another team could have swooped him before then. For all we know, that could have come close to happening.

I recall the KINGS wanting Kobe Bryant in the 1996 draft with their 14th pick. But LAL traded up ahead of them and took him at #13 which then led Petrie to plan B which was Peja.

But suppose West wasn’t able to close that deal and Kobe ended up with the KINGS. Who knows how far Peja might have fallen since not near as many teams were as adept and knowledgeable of Euro players as GP was back then. Plus the fact he wasn’t committed to coming to the US right away. The fact that he might have slipped didn’t mean he was a reach at 14. He obvious was a great fit regardless where he was drafted.

Same goes for Draymond.

Well, believe it or not, I actually saw him play, and more than once... He shot the ball really well his first two years at Wyoming. Around 40% from the three, but he really fell off the cliff his junior year which carried over to his senior year. The biggest difference between his first two years and he second two years, was the amount of shots he took. Especially his senior year when he took something like 160/170 three's.

I felt that as more of the offensive load was put on his shoulders, the more contested, or bad shots he took, which resulted in less efficiency. I think with better shot selection, and of course working on his shooting, he'll be fine in that dept. What makes him attractive is his ball handling and passing ability. He's also a player that likes to get up and down the floor, so he fits what the Kings are doing. The same could be said for Kyle Guy.

In short, James is probably similar to Bogdanovic in his skill set, but not as good right now. Nor would I expect him to be. Lets all remember that were talking about 2nd rd picks here. I'm optimistic, but also realistic. The odds of all three of these players becoming rotational NBA players are slim. Hell, the odds of one of them making it is slim. But it does happen, so I'll remain optimistic until it doesn't.
I figured you would have seen him play a couple times. I would have easily bet $100 on it! ;)

I’ve been waiting to read your opinion on him. I only watched a few highlights packages so far and don’t pretend to know much, but it appeared to me he could handle the ball well and has a good jump shot. He looks like he has a quick first step and is adept at finishing around the basket — even dunking on shotblockers.

I do believe his experience as a PG for a 6’7” player is only going to increase the odds of him sticking around.

What’s your opinion on his defensive ability? I couldn’t glean anything from the highlight packages.

I watched Justin James play against Nevada many times in the MWC. He is a gunner and natural scorer. We will see how he does against NBA defenses. Probably do fine in summer league.

He just looks like a really good all around player.

He was probably always the best player on the floor in college, and he stuffed the stat sheet like he should. He seems like the kind of guy who will adapt and become a really good role player in the pros.
Now that he isn't the man, he can focus his energy on his outside shot and D.

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/2019-pit-recap

If you scroll down to the bottom, there is a brief write up about James raving about his athleticism and versatility.
Here is an excerpt:

"The 6-7 James is an effortless athlete who elevates, glides and everything in between while displaying a high basketball IQ. He tested as the fastest player in the field in the 3/4-court sprint and lane agility drills. James also earned rave reviews for his attitude in all tournament settings.

James struggled from the perimeter and his Reggie Miller-esque frame could use some bulk, but you can’t teach some of his athletic gifts. James also functioned as a point guard for extended periods and looked comfortable running the offense."

Here is an excerpt:

"The 6-7 James is an effortless athlete who elevates, glides and everything in between while displaying a high basketball IQ. He tested as the fastest player in the field in the 3/4-court sprint and lane agility drills. James also earned rave reviews for his attitude in all tournament settings.

James struggled from the perimeter and his Reggie Miller-esque frame could use some bulk, but you can’t teach some of his athletic gifts. James also functioned as a point guard for extended periods and looked comfortable running the offense."
His times in the agility test were very good. He measured 6'6 w/o shoes, 6'7 w/ shoes, 8'8.5 standing reach, 7'1 wingspan.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I figured you would have seen him play a couple times. I would have easily bet $100 on it! ;)

I’ve been waiting to read your opinion on him. I only watched a few highlights packages so far and don’t pretend to know much, but it appeared to me he could handle the ball well and has a good jump shot. He looks like he has a quick first step and is adept at finishing around the basket — even dunking on shotblockers.

I do believe his experience as a PG for a 6’7” player is only going to increase the odds of him sticking around.

What’s your opinion on his defensive ability? I couldn’t glean anything from the highlight packages.
To be honest with you, with what I saw of him, I thought at minimum, he had the potential to be a 3 and D type player. I think he needs to work on his shot creation a bit, and as I said, be more selective with his shots. Hey, if he puts in the work, and from what I've read and heard, he's a hard worker, he has a chance to become a rotational player. He has the tools he just needs some time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/2019-pit-recap

If you scroll down to the bottom, there is a brief write up about James raving about his athleticism and versatility.
Many years ago, when dinosaur's roamed the earth, the Portsmouth invitational used to be televised. I remember watching one of the games, and a player I didn't know much about really stood out. I remember thinking that this kid just looks like an NBA player. He managed to climb up some draft boards and was eventually drafted by the Warriors. His name was Tim Hardaway. He turned out to be OK. Point being, you just never know..

His times in the agility test were very good. He measured 6'6 w/o shoes, 6'7 w/ shoes, 8'8.5 standing reach, 7'1 wingspan.

Where did you get those measurements from? If you are talking about James there is no way in heck he has those length measurements. Compare him physically to Bogdan who does have a 7 foot wingspan.

Here's a tweet from their twitter page:

It says he's has a near even wingspan which means he's somewhere in the 6'6"-6'7" range according to that. He seems like his arms are decent length but he probably loses some in shoulder width.

Where did you get those measurements from? If you are talking about James there is no way in heck he has those length measurements. Compare him physically to Bogdan who does have a 7 foot wingspan.

Here's a tweet from their twitter page:

It says he's has a near even wingspan which means he's somewhere in the 6'6"-6'7" range according to that. He seems like his arms are decent length but he probably loses some in shoulder width.
Those measurements were from the Portsmouth Invitational.

Those measurements were from the Portsmouth Invitational.
And that tweet was on their page too. It says he doesn't have great length and has a "near-even wingspan". 7'1" would be insane length for guard. Unless this dude is Mr. Fantastic there is no way those totals in their database are accurate. Length can be deceptive at times but not 6-7" off.

Here is an excerpt:
"The 6-7 James is an effortless athlete who elevates, glides and everything in between while displaying a high basketball IQ. He tested as the fastest player in the field in the 3/4-court sprint and lane agility drills. James also earned rave reviews for his attitude in all tournament settings."
Looks like Vlade was looking for a wing that would have a chance to keep the pace and stay up with D' Fox. ;)

Last edited:
And that tweet was on their page too. It says he doesn't have great length and has a "near-even wingspan". 7'1" would be insane length for guard. Unless this dude is Mr. Fantastic there is no way those totals in their database are accurate. Length can be deceptive at times but not 6-7" off.
Personally, I'll go with the measurements that they posted over a tweet with inexact thoughts on his measurements.

Personally, I'll go with the measurements that they posted over a tweet with inexact thoughts on his measurements.
I'll go with my eyes. No way does he have a 7'1" wingspan. If he does he should have a legit shot to play SF though. He very much has the proportions of the Justin James described in the assessment.

According to NBA.com, Justin James has a 6'8" wingspan.

https://www.nba.com/draft/2019/prospects/justin-james#/

"Has very good size for a guard measured at 6’7 in shoes at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament to go along with a solid 6’8 wingspan and a lean 183-pound frame. Fluid athlete who shows the ability to change gears well with the ball in his hands and nice explosiveness around the rim."

According to NBA.com, Justin James has a 6'8" wingspan.

https://www.nba.com/draft/2019/prospects/justin-james#/

"Has very good size for a guard measured at 6’7 in shoes at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament to go along with a solid 6’8 wingspan and a lean 183-pound frame. Fluid athlete who shows the ability to change gears well with the ball in his hands and nice explosiveness around the rim."
183 ain't gonna put him at SF ever. Hopefully he can be that huge combo they've been looking for. He and Bogdan make one complete PG! haha.

183 ain't gonna put him at SF ever. Hopefully he can be that huge combo they've been looking for. He and Bogdan make one complete PG! haha.
With this kids build, athleticism and, of course, a lot hard work, I can see him adding 20+ pounds over the next season or two once the KINGS training staff gets a hold of him.