Welcome Davion Mitchell

Those 5 guards played 137 minutes combined yesterday. We are playing A LOT of three-guard lineups.
yep I agree. In our Division I think it hurts us. Our shooters aren’t good enough across the board and we will struggle to defend the talented larger 3’s we will find in the west IMHO. We shall see for real soon enough

yeah I guess the point is I don’t see 30 minutes available for Fox, Hali and Mitchell unless you are playing a lot of small ball like you outlined. I’m not sure our guys are good enough shooters to make it work. But we shall see.
You rotate the three of them at the 2 guard spots. Yeah, our 3/4 options aren't perfect this season, but that's the priority moving forward to find those slots. I was ticked we passed on Moody on draft night, but Mitchell has already made me eat those words and the dude hasn't played a real NBA minute yet. He's an awesome awesome player and it feels like he's already changing the culture (along with TT based on reports) on defense especially.

yep I agree. In our Division I think it hurts us. Our shooters aren’t good enough across the board and we will struggle to defend the talented larger 3’s we will find in the west IMHO. We shall see for real soon enough
Mitchell has been lights out all summer from 3. And he's shown us real versatility being able to hit 3s off his own bounce and in C&S situations. Hali/Buddy are elite 3pt shooters. Davis is a good spacer (38%, 36% on big volume) 3pt shooter. Barnes is an elite wing spacer.

I don't expect Mitchell to bring his like 50% from 3pa during the summer into the season obviously, but if he's 36-38%, this team is going to be one of the better shooting teams in the league. Then, the only 2 guys you're worried about are Harkless and Fox being inconsistent with their jumper.

You rotate the three of them at the 2 guard spots. Yeah, our 3/4 options aren't perfect this season, but that's the priority moving forward to find those slots. I was ticked we passed on Moody on draft night, but Mitchell has already made me eat those words and the dude hasn't played a real NBA minute yet. He's an awesome awesome player and it feels like he's already changing the culture (along with TT based on reports) on defense especially.
Mitchell's threatening to make a believer out of me. Likewise, I was pulling for Moody on draft night, as well as Jalen Johnson. Despite his defensive bonafides, I just didn't trust that Mitchell's stature would allow him to apply the same level of pressure to 1's and 2's in the NBA. But he was such a monstrous presence on that end during the preseason, locking down multiple positions with ease, already displaying the kind of instincts, strength, tenacity, and finesse that you typically see in the best veteran defenders in the NBA. It's just preseason, of course. The 82-game grind is no doubt going to wear on Mitchell, especially given how hard he goes. That said, color me impressed. I'm excited to see what the rook can do in regular season action.

Mitchell has been lights out all summer from 3. And he's shown us real versatility being able to hit 3s off his own bounce and in C&S situations. Hali/Buddy are elite 3pt shooters. Davis is a good spacer (38%, 36% on big volume) 3pt shooter. Barnes is an elite wing spacer.

I don't expect Mitchell to bring his like 50% from 3pa during the summer into the season obviously, but if he's 36-38%, this team is going to be one of the better shooting teams in the league. Then, the only 2 guys you're worried about are Harkless and Fox being inconsistent with their jumper.
yeah shooting isn’t really a concern in my opinion. We got a lot of shooting. Mitchell works way too hard to be less then 35% and I doubt he’ll let himself get below 35%. I also don’t think Fox needs to be a lights out shooter by any means. He got to the hoop at will with speed alone last season. Now that’s he’s bulked up, just keep doing what you’ve been doing kid. Lastly, he’s been 90%+ from the free throw line in preseason. Yeah it’s preseason but free throws are free throws. I’m not saying he ginna hit 90%+ in the regular season but I can see a nice 80% this season which would bump his PPG another 3 pts

Mitchell's threatening to make a believer out of me. Likewise, I was pulling for Moody on draft night, as well as Jalen Johnson. Despite his defensive bonafides, I just didn't trust that Mitchell's stature would allow him to apply the same level of pressure to 1's and 2's in the NBA. But he was such a monstrous presence on that end during the preseason, locking down multiple positions with ease, already displaying the kind of instincts, strength, tenacity, and finesse that you typically see in the best veteran defenders in the NBA. It's just preseason, of course. The 82-game grind is no doubt going to wear on Mitchell, especially given how hard he goes. That said, color me impressed. I'm excited to see what the rook can do in regular season action.
yeah I love Mitchell also which is why I would trade Fox. You aren’t going to trade back up guards for a serviceable 6’8” forward and we won’t be bad enough to draft one, and we aren’t likely signing a top free agent.

Assuming you don’t buy the all guard and center line-ups…..it’s why I would have traded Barnes for Nesmith and a pick. At this point, you are hoping for unexpected Metu/King growth, a Bagley miracle, or trading one of Hali, Fox or Mitchell.

It’s funny to read the Ron Artest comparison by Walton and others recently, as that’s exactly what I’ve been thinking for a while now. Obviously a smaller 6-2 version.

But I was day dreaming what it would have been like to have both playing at the same time. How much fun would that have been?

Or better yet, Davion, Christie and Artest all on the floor at the same time.

what's really interesting about Mitchell is he doesn't really use his arms unless he's going for an impact play (contest/steal/block/deflection). Maybe I'm wrong here(trying to improve my #filmtaeks), but to me his defensive success comes from his insane lateral quickness and taking away positioning from the offensive player where they're put into bad/uncomfortable situations. Add in the really quick hands, the rock solid physical stature and you can see how he ends up being among the elite defenders in basketball despite being a smaller height/wingspan.

It's just so much fun and ridiculous this dude is a rookie.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Mitchell is a quick learner and with his relentless work ethic, it won't be long before he's scoring between 18-20 PPG. Just imagine if he starts adding floaters to his arsenal too, the possibilities are truly endless.

Mitchell is a quick learner and with his relentless work ethic, it won't be long before he's scoring between 18-20 PPG. Just imagine if he starts adding floaters to his arsenal too, the possibilities are truly endless.
Elite defender who can handle the ball, see the floor, and shoot the 3 ball? Who's the last player the kings had with combination of gifts?

what's really interesting about Mitchell is he doesn't really use his arms unless he's going for an impact play (contest/steal/block/deflection). Maybe I'm wrong here(trying to improve my #filmtaeks), but to me his defensive success comes from his insane lateral quickness and taking away positioning from the offensive player where they're put into bad/uncomfortable situations. Add in the really quick hands, the rock solid physical stature and you can see how he ends up being among the elite defenders in basketball despite being a smaller height/wingspan.

It's just so much fun and ridiculous this dude is a rookie.
Yeah, I agree, I think positioning is his main thing for sure. Also, Monte called it right, a lot of it is his strength. He's not as quick laterally as someone like Pat Bev, certainly quick however, but he's super smart and able to put his body into players. I brought it up before but he's very similar to Chuck Hayes in how he takes angles defensively and swipes down when player attempts to bring the ball into his body on contact so they can break past him. Pat Bev would do some similar things but he always tends to want to stay in front of players one on one and be more pesky side to side and erratic. Davion wants to grind on people and keep his movements as concise as possible. There's almost nothing chaotic about what he does defensively. He's a little similar to Tony Allen as well maybe.

the last two way player the Kings had was Ron Ron and that happened to be the last time the Kings were in the Playoffs, so perhaps deja vu?
Yes, but I don't recall him having the 3-ball abilities that Davion could very well have. That's a whole other level. I'm thinking maybe Doug Christie.