Welcome Davion Mitchell

Wow, I came on here expecting a lot of moaning. I'm sure a lot of folks aren't happy and, obviously, this doesn't address our front court needs. But I have no doubt DM was BPA - and I think that's true by a bunch. I think we're gonna love this kid.

Naismith Defensive Player of the Year AND 45% percent from 3?!!

:p

Last edited:
Only issue i have with him is size. Granted, he can defend players much bigger than him and he is a high character guy with high IQ. I see him as a Donovan Mitchell/marcus smart hybrid which is a great thing. Hell, his nickname was "Off night" because of his stellar defense (between Off night, Junior Uh Oh (if Holmes comes back) and Swipa, we at least have the best nicknames in the league. Good to have on the team and he sort of makes delon wright and TD expendable. I see wright likely getting traded if TD comes back to the team on a reasonable contract. Either way, i think any of the 5 of these guards can play next to eaxh other which gives tremendous depth. Unfortunately still thin up front. Really hope holmes returns and we then throw MLE at nerlens noel or even Mitchell Robinson if noel doesn't sign (may be cheaper than nerlens).

Good pick overall, versatile scorer, passer and likely the best on ball defender in the draft.

Last edited:
He’s a dude fo’ sho’. I know he is older - but his competitiveness will make him a success.

It’s just that the roster makes no sense right now. I don’t know if he’ll be a King in an hour.
Frankly, id rather keep him and put DW and Buddy on the train but agree with the lack of balance.

Certainly not expected, but I like this pick.

To me, he's the the BPA. I'd have like Moody as a fit type of player, but I think Mitchell is the better overall player over anybody at this spot.

If he truly was BPA on the KINGS board, then they surely made the right pick. Only time will tell whether he is as good as they believe. But you should always select the best player you can.

Only issue i have with him is size..
That seems like a legitimate concern. I get it.

IDK much about him. The past few drafts I just haven’t been up to speed like I used to be. This draft less than any other.

But I get a Bobby Jackson and Kyle Lowry vibe from him defensively. Bobby J was listed at 6’1 IIRC but I stood next to him many times and I don’t think he was that. Yet he often guarded the likes of Kobe Bryant. And did a good job considering.

He was a mini pitbull. Same goes for Lowry — who lots of KINGS fans on this site longed over for years.

If he can play defense like those two guys, I don’t care that he’s small.

That seems like a legitimate concern. I get it.

IDK much about him. The past few drafts I just haven’t been up to speed like I used to be. This draft less than any other.

But I get a Bobby Jackson and Kyle Lowry vibe from him defensively. Bobby J was listed at 6’1 IIRC but I stood next to him many times and I don’t think he was that. Yet he often guarded the likes of Kobe Bryant. And did a good job considering.

He was a mini pitbull. Same goes for Lowry — who lots of KINGS fans on this site longed over for years.

If he can play defense like those two guys, I don’t care that he’s small.
He's not really small for a PG. However the Kings are extremely small in the build of their core in totality.

Suprise Davion! Welcome!

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
There were times last season when this team looked sadly complacent with their status as defensive bottom dwellers and if there's one thing I know for sure about Davion Mitchell it's that he will not ever be happy being a part of a terrible defensive effort. Here's to hoping he breaks us before we break him. Fox and Hali are going to love this guy and opposing teams are going to hate him. I think in time the fans will learn to appreciate his bulldog mentality too.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Honestly, I think this works out well for us once we move Buddy.

Teams need a good 3 guard rotation, and it’s not like anybody else available where we picked screamed “all star starter”.

Everyone talking about us needing to trade Fox need to relax. And everyone swearing off the Kings should realize if you’re still here, you’re a lifer. The time to quit this franchise was like, 10 years ago!

Honestly, I think this works out well for us once we move Buddy.

Teams need a good 3 guard rotation, and it’s not like anybody else available where we picked screamed “all star starter”.

Everyone talking about us needing to trade Fox need to relax. And everyone swearing off the Kings should realize if you’re still here, you’re a lifer. The time to quit this franchise was like, 10 years ago!
Or we have Stockholm like syndrome.

There were times last season when this team looked sadly complacent with their status as defensive bottom dwellers and if there's one thing I know for sure about Davion Mitchell it's that he will not ever be happy being a part of a terrible defensive effort. Here's to hoping he breaks us before we break him. Fox and Hali are going to love this guy and opposing teams are going to hate him. I think in time the fans will learn to appreciate his bulldog mentality too.
I am desparately hoping his defensive prowess and tenacity rubs off on the team

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It's funny how everyone says you need to go BPA in the draft and give your team the best chance at drafting a star and yet all the post-draft reactions tend to talk about fit and teams get panned for drafting a top talent who doesn't fit their roster. So which is it?
It's probably a happy medium to be fair. I like the pick in a vacuum because I think Davion will be a very very good NBA player but we've already got like three good guards in the same position.