WE WILL BUILD A New Sports & Entertainment Venue

That is a good spot, I agree. I once got lost out there because of how weird W Stockton Blvd is set up. But if we were to go away from the Railyards wouldn't it just seem to make more sense setting up right next to the current Arco?

Yah brought up Elk Grove because it has more than 150,000 people and it was named the fastest growing city in the US in like 2003 or something if I remember correctly. The satellite image may show fields, but this is on the edge of Elk Grove. About 5 mins from downtown EG.

Yah brought up Elk Grove because it has more than 150,000 people and it was named the fastest growing city in the US in like 2003 or something if I remember correctly. The satellite image may show fields, but this is on the edge of Elk Grove. About 5 mins from downtown EG.
You just said why it wont happen. It's outside the Sacramento city. I don't see the EG city council stepping up.

Also, who owns the land?

The current site has all the infrastucture in place and thus will be much less costly than Railyards on that level. I'm sure Taylor/ICON feasibility study will state that fact rather boldly.
However, wouldn't the lower cost be at the expense of losing funding that is already dedicated for the rail yards? The current site also doesn't give the benefit of a shot in the arm for rebuilding downtown. The lower expense may come at a greater expense of lost opportunity.

However, wouldn't the lower cost be at the expense of losing funding that is already dedicated for the rail yards? The current site also doesn't give the benefit of a shot in the arm for rebuilding downtown. The lower expense may come at a greater expense of lost opportunity.
Yep. Plus the enviromental studies are complete for the railyard. They would have to start over at the current site. Dont forget the infrastructure is starting this month at the railyards already.

I admit that would be sweet!

Yeah, I know right where it is now because I work in Elk Grove these days quite frequently. Although there is very little reason right now to go that far south. But, yeah I have seen the new on-ramp there and the empty non-existent dealerships. That said, I hope and want this Arena in the Railyards.

The arena could be the start of a complex of buildings with links to the railroad museum and the like and this complex could BE the tourist attraction. In St. Paul the arena is a small part of a group of buildings that house theaters, museums, meeting areas, small concert halls, and the like. Across the streets are libraries, parks and the like. In other words, the center of St. Paul was what this complex became. Some of the very old attractions of St. Paul, and there aren't many attractions, :) moved into this huge complex. This complex attracted the Republican National Convention and as Orlando expects their area to garner $200 mil from a national convention, I am suspecting this one event brought in a similar amount of money to that sleepy half of the Twin Cities.

My fear is more with the community as I don't sense much energy to think big and become anything other than a city between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe. There's a real identity problem here in my view but as it seems most of the people seem to like it, I may be the one out of step. I'll admit that. I tend to want to go for the gusto while most people around here are very tight.

Builiding creates jobs. This area has been hard hit and I think that's because we have no industry other than politics and almonds. I don't know how money things work but certainly there must be Federal money available for such a project.

Thinking grandiously, perhaps the arena could be the start of a major change and as much as people like this sleepy little town, businesses do not like it or maybe I am misinterpreting the high unemployment rate. Without business there are no jobs but there has to be something appealing about this area to attract businesses other than a railroad museum and a statue to the pony express.
^^^This^^^^ I fear the Elk Grove and Natomas talk. There is nothing wrong with those areas, and I understand why it would be easier. But an arena in downtown Sac could stimulate serious business and jumpstart the entire region. An arena in an outlying area will not jumpstart downtown Sacramento, West Sacramento waterfront or any other place except Elk Grove.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The question is, Does the Sacramento have enough travel/tourism business to generate revenue for a project this massive. It's not like we are Los Angeles, Anaheim, New York City or Orlando.
Tax every single plane ticket, and hotel room, of every single politician who comes to Sac for any reason. Give em a taste of their own medicine.

How long does it take to complete the infrastructure?
Not long.. They are moving the tracks for the courthouse. It was a 60mil or something contract to Granite. I was assuming it was 4-6 month long project to move the tracks. The shovel could be in the ground as early as Jan of Feb of next year, and we could have the Arena up by the start of 2014.

Not long.. They are moving the tracks for the courthouse. It was a 60mil or something contract to Granite. I was assuming it was 4-6 month long project to move the tracks. The shovel could be in the ground as early as Jan of Feb of next year, and we could have the Arena up by the start of 2014.
It's an 18 month project to move the tracks. But that includes moving the current station too.

ahh I am thinking of something else then.. Was thinking they were laying the cement for the courthouse in 6 months? I think I got my times all jacked then.
I think the actual laying of the tracks is 6 months out. They are doing the surveying etc now.

Court house will start in 2013. http://www.cityofsacramento.org/pdfs/SuperiorCourthouse-Railyards.pdf

The Judicial Council is the policymaking body of the California courts, the largest court system in the nation. Under the leadership of the Chief Justice and in accordance with the California Constitution, the council is responsible for ensuring the consistent, independent, impartial, and accessible administration of justice. The Administrative Office of the Courts carries out the official actions of the council and promotes leadership and excellence in court administration.
The new courthouse, 405,000 square feet and up to 16 stories tall, would provide 44 courtrooms (35 to be relocated from the Gordon D. Schaber Courthouse and 9 for new judicial positions), would consolidate most of the court’s criminal operations, and would centralize court operations from other downtown leased facilities. The proposed project includes a renovation of the Schaber Courthouse, and the AOC is also making plans for public parking options as a part of the project.

The proposed project is funded by Senate Bill 1407, enacted by the state Legislature in 2008 to authorize up to $5 billion for 41 new and renovated court facilities using court user fees, without impact on the state’s General Fund. This project was ranked as an “immediate need” in the judicial branch’s capital-outlay plan, making it among the branch’s highest-priority infrastructure projects. The project is expected to generate economic benefit in the form of thousands of jobs, both those directly related to the construction effort and others indirectly affected by it. Construction is scheduled to start in early 2013 and be completed in 2015.
More about

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
What about Grantline and 99? It's got a LOT of room, and parking already there.. The circled part is where the mall was supposed to go, and there was a new on-ramp built.

Not to sidetrack this, but you can (I think) see my previous house in this! Hard to tell at this scale. It was in that subdivision top center of the map. Might be right off the page. And if something should happen that it got built here, man would I be mad for selling! ;)

Not to sidetrack this, but you can (I think) see my previous house in this! Hard to tell at this scale. It was in that subdivision top center of the map. Might be right off the page. And if something should happen that it got built here, man would I be mad for selling! ;)
Yah that would be up there with not getting rookie Donte's autograph when you see him in the mall, and him becoming a superstar. Luckily we should not have to worry about regretting those decisions. If one or both happened though I can't say I'd comPlain!

Last edited:
The rails will be out of the way by the time they are ready to start site prep for the arena. Without seeing the plans that ICON is working on now, they had tried to use the intermodal depot as part of the arena plan in the previous convergence plan. I'm positive it is still in there because of the comments Stern made about learning that new intermodal word. Plus I think if they tie the arena and the depot development together, they can share some of the infrastructure and use some funding from the state & feds in part.

I'll be interested to see what kind or road improvements are going to be done for site parking or will they emphasize public transit to the site? This opens up all sort of ideas like running a train from Roseville to the downtown depot for the game and back again after the game. With parking due to be very pricey, it could be a viable and cost friendly alternative. Instead of the Maloofs being obsessed with parking size, they need to open up to alternative ideas. Nobody wants to see at 10,000 car parking garage be the largest building in the railyard.

I got a thing from the Red Sox today, $250 buys a brick in Fenway with 3 lines of text and a commemorative replica (additional replicas are $80). I'll buy a Fenway brick for me and my son at that price and I'd go double for a new arena in Sacramento.

Railyard Cleanup Likely Not A Big Hurdle For Downtown Arena

By Greg Hyatt, SacMidtown.com

State officials overseeing cleanup of the downtown Sacramento railyards say locations where a new arena could be built are mostly cleaned up and safe for development, a signal that could be good news for Kings fans and others wanting to fast-track an arena project. Some additional environmental cleanup may be needed at the site, but that should not dramatically slow down arena development, according to state officials....

More at http://www.sacmidtown.com/2011/05/railyard-cleanup-likely-not-a-big-hurdle-for-downtown-arena/