Walton fired

Bagels just a doormat at this point. Unless the new coach decides he’s suddenly a core rotation piece he won’t do enough to be a scapegoat. Just the same disliked draft bust that signifies an entire blown era of Kings ball.
I can be convinced by a new coach (interim or not) to give Bagley a new look.

I really think Doug has a real future in coaching. He seems like the right mix of being a very smart basketball mind and someone with the right emotional makeup to connect and motivate a team. However, if he is named interim, I really do hope he’s given a fair shot long term. Does anyone know how he ended up on the coaching staff this year? Was he a Walton, Monte or Vivek hire? Whoever we bring in needs to have a comfort level with Monte.

It’s actually unfortunate that we have cycled through so many “golden era” kings in the front office over the past 5 years. Right now his hire would seem like more of the same nostalgia PR hire (both locally and from national press), but I really think he could be different.

vivek names himself owner/coach, incorporates his 4v5 strategy and brings the championship home to sacramento. just need @SLAB to speak it into existence and the rest will be history!

If it's Bobby Jackson it just proves the org has no ambition.

Not interested in another legend for Vivek to hide behind.

Yeah I know I've said this 300 times.

They need a huge change in coaching all around. These recycled mediocre coaches (Gentry) aren't cutting it. They need to go bold, and I think either Jackson or Christie could make a difference, but I'm saying go full bore overhaul, Head Coach Doug Christie. He "GETS" the game, all the nuances, he sees what's happening three steps ahead.

I just realized Walton’s Sac coaching career began with a sexual abuse allegation (before he ever held a practice) and ended with the Barf game. He also championed the team through a ridiculous trip to India and global pandemic. A legendary Kangz coach through and through.

If it's Bobby Jackson it just proves the org has no ambition.

Not interested in another legend for Vivek to hide behind.

Yeah I know I've said this 300 times.
do you know for a fact that Bobby won’t succeed as a head coach? I understand being apprehensive of another former player being hired but it’s common practice across the league. I don’t think bringing him on as an interim is short sided as long as they don’t sign him to a multi year contract at the same time. Take a look, and if it doesn’t work, do a full coaching search in the off-season.

do you know for a fact that Bobby won’t succeed as a head coach? I understand being apprehensive of another former player being hired but it’s common practice across the league. I don’t think bringing him on as an interim is short sided as long as they don’t sign him to a multi year contract at the same time. Take a look, and if it doesn’t work, do a full coaching search in the off-season.
Obviously not but no one knows if he will be a good coach either. It's all based on sentiment and emotion about 02. Oh and summer league?!

I don't know why it's so bad to want an established coach with a track record of at least some success. The idea is to win playoff series and a championship.

I dont remember it happening recently or if its legal to interview assistant coaches from other teams while the season is still going on but im sure there are a few that would be good candidates that would love to get a head coaching job, even if it is in sacramento. anyone know if its possible if we get the other teams approval?

I like the idea of it being Bobby or Christie mostly because I don't think either of them shy away from the tough decisions. I am leaning towards Christie because of his fire for the game. In the game against Toronto recently Gary Trent was clowning the the Kings bench and the only person who stood up was Christie. We need that kind of fire for a head coach. A head coach that will get a tech, or make a challenge for the team. To often Walton would just talk to Refs, but hardly got mad enough to get a tech.

Last edited:
Obviously not but no one knows if he will be a good coach either. It's all based on sentiment and emotion about 02. Oh and summer league?!

I don't know why it's so bad to want an established coach with a track record of at least some success. The idea is to win playoff series and a championship.
He has been a coach for several years and did show ability to adjust on the fly which I like.

I just don’t know what established coach is out there other than D’Antoni