Voisin: Play some D or earn an F

striker said:
So if you can't play with them injure them?
Ginobili smacked Artest in the mouth on the first play and you say this?

If I were the Kings' team captain, there would be some violence on the court in response to the normal type of play we see from the Spurs, year after year.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
quick dog said:
Ginobili smacked Artest in the mouth on the first play and you say this?

If I were the Kings' team captain, there would be some violence on the court in response to the normal type of play we see from the Spurs, year after year.
I'd be happy just to see them stop playing like *******.

KevinMartinsGirl23 said:
I thought this article hit the nail on the head. And I agree, they need to play much more physical, if they are going to foul someone then FOUL someone, no little pathetic slaps on the wrists or pushes in the lower back when someone is already dunking. I think by playing physical it will make the Spurs think twice before driving the lane, and it couldn't hurt that's for sure. I don't think it's playing dirty, it's playing tough. I would love to see the Kings set the tone right from the start and show that they are here to stay (something along the lines of Chris Webber nailing John Stockton at the beginning of the playoffs- but maybe not as blatant...)
I agree with your point, however, I thought Webber's screen was a tad punky. If he wanted to make a statement about toughness and resolve, he should have knocked Karl Malone down, not the smallest guy on the court. Ginobili smacked, arguably, the toughest and most vocal man on the Kings team on the first play. That is how one sends a message. Christy sent a message to Fox. I thought the Webber screen was nice, but to me it proved nothing. I believe John Stockton got up, shook it off, and eventually won the series. That proved something to me.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
quick dog said:
I agree with your point, however, I thought Webber's screen was a tad punky. If he wanted to make a statement about toughness and resolve, he should have knocked Karl Malone down, not the smallest guy on the court. Ginobili smacked, arguably, the toughest and most vocal man on the Kings team on the first play. That is how one sends a message. Christy sent a message to Fox. I thought the Webber screen was nice, but to me it proved nothing. I believe John Stockton got up, shook it off, and eventually won the series. That proved something to me.
So you're saying that Miller should set a hard pick on Tim Duncan?

That might work, if Duncan ever pursued the ball handler...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
So you're saying that Miller should set a hard pick on Tim Duncan?

That might work, if Duncan ever pursued the ball handler...
Stomping hard on his foot a couple of times might send a message...

MEMO TO IRATE SPURS FANS: I'm kidding. It's an attempt at gallows humor. ...Maybe.

VF21 said:
Whoa. Little built up hostility there, QD?

I reduced the size of the font. We're not blind.
VF21, I am truly glad you are here because you save me the trouble of having to prepare extended rants. You normally do them for me! However, I do believe that my font choice was appropriate in this case. I tend to be on the emotional side, and a string of swear words is generally in poor taste and prohibited in civilized circles. The font is all I have left.

My resting pulse rate is normally well below 60. Brad's play has increased that rate by about 40. I am afraid to take my game-time blood pressure. I have to eat an aspirin per day just to watch Kings games.

:)

Maybe if the Spurs missed a few shots and if Miller wasn't constantly out of position trying to cover guards who'd blown by their perimeter defenders and were in the paint he'd have grabbed one or two rebounds more. Don't think you can lay it all on Miller.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
striker said:
Maybe if the Spurs missed a few shots and if Miller wasn't constantly out of position trying to cover guards who'd blown by their perimeter defenders and were in the paint he'd have grabbed one or two rebounds more. Don't think you can lay it all on Miller.
You know, that's the kind of comment that sounds okay coming from a Kings fan. From a Spurs fan, however, it just sounds ... oh, I don't know... disrespectful.

Not saying it's not true, just poking a little fun...

Just the way it is.

It happens to the Spurs too. Detroit in their two games against the Spurs hammered them on the boards. Fact is if you can't stop penetration you'll have a hard time with the bigs getting rebounds.

Now I am embarassed for whining too much. VF21, Please reduce the font to some sensible size. I was joking anyway.

Oh wait, maybe I can do it myself. :confused:

striker said:
Yeah, it's pretty darn hard for u having a weakness in D and trying to cover that from kept getting exposed simply because your teammates have the tendency to exaggerate your defensive weakness.......................... But then, Ron Artest and especially Bonzi Wells are supposed to be an exceptional rebounder for their respective position, and Brad's supposed to be the offensive facilitator aside Bibby, not as a rebounding beast for this series -though perhaps it might have to happened for the Kings playoff aspiration's sake. ..............................It's like the Spurs fans keep ranting that Tony Parker should turn into John Stockton Jr, that Rasho Nesterovic should have Rasheed Wallace's fire and emotion, unfair expectation to begin with.

Players can't get offensive rebounds when the entire team leaks (or streaks) out to get back on defense. They ought to watch videos of Ben Wallace and other great rebounders. You have to be there to get the ball.

quick dog said:
Stockton had to get surgery on his elbow from Webbs cheapshot. He had surgery in Spokane and didnt let it be known till the middle of the next season when the owner said something to the media.

slugking50 said:
Stockton had to get surgery on his elbow from Webbs cheapshot. He had surgery in Spokane and didnt let it be known till the middle of the next season when the owner said something to the media.
Is that true ? Then, bad, BAD karma, CWebb :cool:.........While on the other hand, Stockton was the master of cheapshot too, so it was some sort of bad karma also for him :D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
slugking50 said:
Uh...he had surgery from that? I have never heard that before at all. Actually have more than a little trouble believeing that actually. Surgery 6 months later on a single thwack?

In any case -- same sort of deal. Stockton set the tone for Utah, so if you want to send a message, you send it through him. Artest sets the tone for us, so if you want to send a message...

Of course that is all assuming that elbow was even intentionally. That's a pretty big assumption given that play. Middle of an offensive move, moving at full speed -- in any other situation you'd say probably an over exuberant accident. But when its Ron, first play fo the game...quite the coincidence.

If the Spurs can knock out Artest they've won the series. Without him the Kings don't have a chanceThe Spurs know that. Manu knew it too, whether he consciously elbowed Artest or not.

RA should be looking to protect Ron from the Spurs, getting on the refs to pay attention.

I didn't get the impression that Voision was advocating injuring any Spurs player. As a Spurs fan, I certainly hope the Kings don't take her advice, but if the Kings want to win, they damn sure better. Contrary to popular opinion, basketball IS a contact sport, and hard fouls are a fact of life. They do send a message. Sometimes that message is repaid in kind, and at other times, it serves the purpose intended.

I, for one, don't think Artest was intimidated by the Ginobilli elbow, and I really don't think Manu did it intentionally. Could be wrong on both accounts, though.

Once again, good luck to your Kings in the upcoming games. Of course, my intention is that "good luck" extends only to keeping them injury-free, and does not include winning. :D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
bibbinator said:
If the Spurs can knock out Artest they've won the series. Without him the Kings don't have a chanceThe Spurs know that. Manu knew it too, whether he consciously elbowed Artest or not.

RA should be looking to protect Ron from the Spurs, getting on the refs to pay attention.
It was a very minor hit for any sort of "knockout" blow. Quite likely an inadvertent elbow. But even if its intentional, nothing that's going to knock a Ron Artest out of the game. If they's wanted to do that, PLENTY of better opportunities every time he drives down inside, or maybe Bruce could slip that sneaky foot of his underneath him on a jumper. If it was intentional, more of a message sent than an attempt to injure.

Bricklayer said:
It was a very minor hit for any sort of "knockout" blow. Quite likely an inadvertent elbow. But even if its intentional, nothing that's going to knock a Ron Artest out of the game. If they's wanted to do that, PLENTY of better opportunities every time he drives down inside, or maybe Bruce could slip that sneaky foot of his underneath him on a jumper. If it was intentional, more of a message sent than an attempt to injure.
Perhaps. Maybe I'm paranoid because I've been up all night, but it seems to me like the Spurs figure they've got us sooner or later, and it might as well be sooner, in terms of maxing their chances for a repeat. Ron is the difference maker as to whether they win this in 4 or 5, or get into a tough game 6 at Arco or a real tough game 7 back home. The way Manu plays the Spurs could lose him at anytime - the fewer games they put him in the better the chance he'll be around to play in the championship.

There is no player on the Spurs, including Parker, as central to their chances of sucess as Ron is to ours. If I were the Spurs and wanted to win ASAP I'd hack away at Ron, try to get in his head, especially when the refs weren't looking. I'd do it every chance I got and stay real clean with the rest of the Kings.

Bricklayer said:
Uh...he had surgery from that? I have never heard that before at all. Actually have more than a little trouble believeing that actually. Surgery 6 months later on a single thwack?
He didnt have the sugery 6 months later. Thats just when it was revealed that Stockton had the surgery. Jazz fans used it as another reason why Stocktons was tough as nails.

Stockton had the surgery 5-6 weeks after the season. It was a partial tear of a tendon in his right elbow

Larry Miller spilled the beans to the SLC media one day before a game. If he hadn't, Im guessing nobody would have ever known.

Got it from 2 different Jazz fans back then who didn't know eachother.

Last edited: