Vegas Summer League GAME 3: Kings v. Grizzlies , 7/10/18 3:30 PT, 6:30 ET

Jackson and Giles continuie to be bright spots in an otherwise dim landscape. I have a question. If Mason is my point guard, why would I let him spend so much time with the ball in his hands? Hard to understand why the SL coaching staff doesn't get on him to speed up the offense and get over the dribble itis.
Dribble itis (good one)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I remember seeing Giles walk away as well.

I can see there's growing dissension between Giles and Mason over the course of summer league. Giles is obviously not happy at all with Mason's play and hasn't really been handing out high fives or helping him up off the ground at all when he drives. It's become fairly obvious lately. On one hand I don't blame him because it seems like Giles has only had like 2 assisted easy buckets since the first game in Sacramento but on the other hand he needs to be a good teammate because his type of personality might wear thin at some point in a losing locker room. Which could cause....dare I say it....a dysfunctional locker room o_O
Mountain out of molehill time, IMHO. But whatever ... seems like we've got our "drama" for the year, at least for those who seem to be hellbent on looking for it.

Gules addressed it in a post game interview. he says its good to be able to talk to your pointguard, to communicate, and that all is good...(I am paraphrasing
On the KHTK morning show Carmichael Dave was talking to the King's assistant coach. The coach said early in the game Giles was telling Mason "to feed the dogs" and then in the second half once the "dogs were fed," Giles was telling Mason to feed himself (take some shots).

The coach also said they are telling Mason to slow his thought process down. He is mentally playing too fast.

On the KHTK morning show Carmichael Dave was talking to the King's assistant coach. The coach said early in the game Giles was telling Mason "to feed the dogs" and then in the second half once the "dogs were fed," Giles was telling Mason to feed himself (take some shots).
thats what Giles said in the postgame as well..

Kingster

Hall of Famer

The coach also said they are telling Mason to slow his thought process down. He is mentally playing too fast.
Frankly, I'm not quite understanding that one. If anything, his decision making needs to quicken. Once he gets the ball he's not getting the ball up the floor quick enough.

Frankly, I'm not quite understanding that one. If anything, his decision making needs to quicken. Once he gets the ball he's not getting the ball up the floor quick enough.
Yes, the coach did acknowledge the contradiction. He suggested that they want the team and him to quicken the pace without speeding up their mind/breathing etc. So he was basically suggesting speed/pace/quickness but controlled, calculated speed and pace, which isn't what they are seeing now.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yes, the coach did acknowledge the contradiction. He suggested that they want the team and him to quicken the pace without speeding up their mind/breathing etc. So he was basically suggesting speed/pace/quickness but controlled, calculated speed and pace, which isn't what they are seeing now.
If I'm Frank Mason I'm aggressively getting the ball to his big men when they fly up the court. That may mean he makes some turnovers because he's not comfortable with the pace and the quicker decisions, but he's got to test his limits in that regard so that he can improve. Otherwise, I see no future with him on the Kings.