Vegas Summer League GAME 3: Kings v. Grizzlies , 7/10/18 3:30 PT, 6:30 ET

We have a new whipping boy, I see.
He threw the ball four times to players that weremt looking, then mad dogs them. One turnover is not accurate. He dribble penetrated and kicked once ONCE.
He jacked up a shot that was so bad it led to a fastbreak. The next play he blew a layup that led to a fastbreak.
I dont know if you watched or just looked at tje stats, but he's horrible. His reckless abandon is absurd.
He constantly turns down open looks for contested looks or dribbles directly into players looking for contact.
Everyones opinions are accurate its that simple

10 points (on 6 shots) and 13 assists (against 1 turnover) not good enough for you??? I get the frustration with Mason up until today but he was effective at running the team today. If you want to contend otherwise, the stats are not on your side.
First of all I gave a narrative of one play. So for you to respond like you did is unwarranted. Second of all. Mason was bailed out by the refs on a few occasions and his teammates (how about YOUR favorite whipping boy Justin Jackson bailing out Mason and probably giving hin 4 or 5 of those assists, karma huh Blaub) made a ton of shots to bail out his ball pounding ways. Third of all, if the only gave hin 1 turnover then that is some amazingly blunderous stat keeping. He had more than 1 turnover.

MAson was much better in this game. If the Kings are to have any chance in this SL tourney he's gonna need to keep that up,

EXCELLENT showing from Matt Jones too. Lights out shooter, It'll be interesting to see how he can fare defensively vs this competition.

First of all I gave a narrative of one play. So for you to respond like you did is unwarranted. Second of all. Mason was bailed out by the refs on a few occasions and his teammates (how about YOUR favorite whipping boy Justin Jackson bailing out Mason and probably giving hin 4 or 5 of those assists, karma huh Blaub) made a ton of shots to bail out his ball pounding ways. Third of all, if the only gave hin 1 turnover then that is some amazingly blunderous stat keeping. He had more than 1 turnover.
Ha that's a new one. His box score numbers are FAKE! The scoreboard keeper was dumb and blind! If not one how many turnovers do you think he had? As far as Jackson deserving credit for his 13 assists, good for him. I am not taking away anything from G-Leaguer for showing improvement. Let's see if it continues. I don't have faith or confidence in a player who doesn't draw fouls, create space with juke moves or do much of anything besides score on the rare occasions he does. It is NOT a winning skillset. I support players who can be effective when their shot is off. I don't see an edge Jackson can consistently exploit. Is he going to be an efficient scorer 55-60% TS with his "quick flicks" ? If he can do this, great. I doubt it. There is better chance Mason proves doubters wrong. I would not be least surprised if this summer is Jackson high point of his NBA career.

Last edited:
Ha that's a new one. His box score numbers are FAKE! The scoreboard keeper was dumb and blind! If not only one. how many turnovers do you think he had? As far as Jackson deserving credit for his 13 assists, good for him. I am not taking away anything from G-Leaguer for showing improvement. Let's see if it continues. I don't have faith or confidence in a player who doesn't draw fouls, create space with juke moves or do much of anything besides score on the rare occasions he does. It is NOT a winning skillset. I support players who can be effective when their shot is off. I don't see an edge Jackson can consistently exploit. Is he going to be an efficient scorer 55-60% TS with his "quick flicks" ? If he can do this, great. I doubt it. There is better chance Mason proves doubters wrong. I would not be least surprised if this summer is Jackson high point of his NBA career.
Jackson drew fouls at a great clip the past few games.

We can revisit this during the season boss. I'll remember.

I saw Harry wave his arms in the air wide open on multiple occasions. It doesn't bother me when a big man misses an open opportunity but not your floor general. I think Mason has scoring talent but he absolutely misses making the correct/easy pass a PG should make. I don't want to crucify him like I did JJ after one game so I'll reserve judgment but I think it's a completely warranted discussion that he has regressed.

It doesn't bother me when a big man misses an open opportunity but not your floor general.
He's too busy putting his head down and driving directly into any/all defenders, passing to players that aren't looking, or passing up open shots to be worrying about running a decent offense.
The REAL problem is his defense is much worse.
This from someone that spent four years in college. This is why I just don't see NBA talent beyond a 3rd string pg.

Most of Mason's assists came on a pass where the player had to make 2 dribbles before the shot. His assists numbers were inflated because of that. I went back and watched every single pass he made that led to a basket. He had 3 passes that were catch and shoot. Everything else the player had to take at least 1 dribble to get themselves open.
So you are saying he should gotten three assists instead of 13? And 10 assists were invalid? I am trying to understand what you are asserting.

Jackson drew fouls at a great clip the past few games.

We can revisit this during the season boss. I'll remember.
He shot 3 FTAs tonight and 4 FTAs his last game in over 60 minutes total. Big freaking deal. That's not a "great clip". You are mischaracterizing the stats. 10 FTAs in a game is a great clip. Regardless on what basis will he draw contact consistently? He doesn't look for contact. He's not a physical player. He's not quick and crafty enough to draw fouls at high rate. You are engaged in wishful thinking more than objective analysis.

That had to have been the worst basketball coverage I've ever seen.

The interviews, the split screen and the cam from the rafters that made it look like we were watching ants play basketball. Combine the 3 and you get Doris Burke talking about relationships and bonds with a split screen of her holding on to Joerger's arm with the other side of the screen showing microscopic players playing a microscopic game of basketball.

I can't stand ESPN and everything they stand for.

Ha that's a new one. His box score numbers are FAKE! The scoreboard keeper was dumb and blind! If not one how many turnovers do you think he had? As far as Jackson deserving credit for his 13 assists, good for him. I am not taking away anything from G-Leaguer for showing improvement. Let's see if it continues. I don't have faith or confidence in a player who doesn't draw fouls, create space with juke moves or do much of anything besides score on the rare occasions he does. It is NOT a winning skillset. I support players who can be effective when their shot is off. I don't see an edge Jackson can consistently exploit. Is he going to be an efficient scorer 55-60% TS with his "quick flicks" ? If he can do this, great. I doubt it. There is better chance Mason proves doubters wrong. I would not be least surprised if this summer is Jackson high point of his NBA career.
As someone asked, straightforward question, did you watch the game? Your comments suggest you didn't. You're making general statements and throwing out boxscore stats. Cute nickname for Justin Jackson. Again, did you see any of the last several games?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I saw Harry wave his arms in the air wide open on multiple occasions. It doesn't bother me when a big man misses an open opportunity but not your floor general. I think Mason has scoring talent but he absolutely misses making the correct/easy pass a PG should make. I don't want to crucify him like I did JJ after one game so I'll reserve judgment but I think it's a completely warranted discussion that he has regressed.
Yep. .I believe I even posted a comment about it. (I'm just too tired right now to find it).

I only saw a little, but Giles looked so frustrated with Mason not giving him the ball on the roll that when Mason hit the ground hard Giles just walked away.

I only saw a little, but Giles looked so frustrated with Mason not giving him the ball on the roll that when Mason hit the ground hard Giles just walked away.
This actually was a major point of frustration during the summer classic. Giles got on Mason twice about missing him being wide open.

That being said there is never an excuse to be a bad teammate and not help your guys up. If Giles actually did that then he needs to grow up.

So you are saying he should gotten three assists instead of 13? And 10 assists were invalid? I am trying to understand what you are asserting.
No blaub. I'm not and you arent. I'm saying 10 of his assists were passes that indirectly lead to a score as opposed to the Chris Paul assist where the recipient is actually set up instead of having to create on their own. Reading comprehension is a difficult thing for you bud?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This actually was a major point of frustration during the summer classic. Giles got on Mason twice about missing him being wide open.

That being said there is never an excuse to be a bad teammate and not help your guys up. If Giles actually did that then he needs to grow up.
I watched the entire game and I do not remember anything that looked the way he has described. If Giles didn't help him up it would most likely be because he wasn't the closest to him, not because he was angry about something.

It was near the end of the 4th, he could have just been further away but he was open on the roll and shoot I'd be a lottle irked too. Nothing super serious or anything

I remember seeing Giles walk away as well.

I can see there's growing dissension between Giles and Mason over the course of summer league. Giles is obviously not happy at all with Mason's play and hasn't really been handing out high fives or helping him up off the ground at all when he drives. It's become fairly obvious lately. On one hand I don't blame him because it seems like Giles has only had like 2 assisted easy buckets since the first game in Sacramento but on the other hand he needs to be a good teammate because his type of personality might wear thin at some point in a losing locker room. Which could cause....dare I say it....a dysfunctional locker room o_O

Jackson and Giles continuie to be bright spots in an otherwise dim landscape. I have a question. If Mason is my point guard, why would I let him spend so much time with the ball in his hands? Hard to understand why the SL coaching staff doesn't get on him to speed up the offense and get over the dribble itis.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He threw the ball four times to players that weremt looking, then mad dogs them. One turnover is not accurate. He dribble penetrated and kicked once ONCE.
He jacked up a shot that was so bad it led to a fastbreak. The next play he blew a layup that led to a fastbreak.
I dont know if you watched or just looked at tje stats, but he's horrible. His reckless abandon is absurd.
He constantly turns down open looks for contested looks or dribbles directly into players looking for contact.
Everyones opinions are accurate its that simple
...and in every game he doesn't pass to forward flying up the floor ahead of him. This game was no different; Giles was the victim in this case, and he threw up both hands in frustration. I have to say this for Mason - he is consistent!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I remember seeing Giles walk away as well.

I can see there's growing dissension between Giles and Mason over the course of summer league. Giles is obviously not happy at all with Mason's play and hasn't really been handing out high fives or helping him up off the ground at all when he drives. It's become fairly obvious lately. On one hand I don't blame him because it seems like Giles has only had like 2 assisted easy buckets since the first game in Sacramento but on the other hand he needs to be a good teammate because his type of personality might wear thin at some point in a losing locker room. Which could cause....dare I say it....a dysfunctional locker room o_O
Giles sees what we see when it comes to Mason. I like Giles personality. We need more of that spirit on this team.