Unanimous vote to block relocation!!!!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
hmmmmm.....

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 4m

SOURCES: NBA officials on the ground today touring Sleep Train Arena with members of Kings ownership elect.
I think the NBA might have wanted a close and in person view of how much energy and money the Maloofs had invested in making their present arena a good fan experience.

They were on the grounds to check out if Arco arena needs some renovation while the arena is being built. They also went to the new site to see it.
I hope they fine the Clowns for failing to maintain the place up to NBA standards and hit them with a huge bill to bring it up to spec as part of the sale. I know, wishful thinking....

I hope they fine the Clowns for failing to maintain the place up to NBA standards and hit them with a huge bill to bring it up to spec as part of the sale. I know, wishful thinking....
They want the new owners to pay for it. So get ready for some remodeling but you have to remember that they arent really going to be there long. So just bare minimum repairs. Some people forget your getting a new arena. So why would you spend a ton of money when you having a brand new arena downtown? Now Chris Hansen was going to spend 7 million on Key Arena with scoreboard and electrical upgrades. Of course the improvements wont be made right now because they wont have a team but they were planning in advance.

Also remember: It is hard when things have not gone your way not to get nervous. People running over to Sonics rising to see what they say. Who cares what they say over there? Your looking because you want to see if they will say good things about Sacramento. they arent. Most dont like you people. That is a fact! Some do! The people who are honest and saw what was right will say I think Sacramento should stay. it is like a man comes in your house with a gun and shoot at you. You defend yourself and then your worried what the robbers family thinks about you! They obviously dont like you so dont go worry what they are doing over there.

Do not be surprised about what I said a few days ago: You see the NBA wants you to be a puppet. That is how it works. When Stern and Silver say do this: You do it! That is what KJ did and he worked with them. Now, the truth is that Ballmer and Hansen are ready to sue. You have to be prepared for that! But it doesnt mean they will win. It just means that they can try to hold the Kings hostage to make the NBA give them an expansion team. Hansen doesnt want the Kings. he wants an expansion team. He will take the Kings because that is the only team available. Also he spent a lot of money on land purchase and EIS and other things so he wants to be compensated for that.

Now once Ballmer sues, the NBA is going to get angry. When they get angry, you get on their black list like Maloofs and Larry Ellison for trying to purchase a team (Memphis) and a possible moving them to San Jose without Approval of the NBA. You guys are going to see that Hansen and Ballmer will get in the NBA blacklist. Once that happens, you will see new ownership in Seattle. It wont be hansen getting a team. So if hansen was smart, he lets the Kings go and try for another team. Now he can try for milwaukee if you want. I know they dont have a new arena deal and the legislature is not going to give it to them. they will be available. Bobcats could be available if Jordan is offered the right price. But you have to pay 150 million if you want to get the Bobcats out before 2015. Seems

It is like Chivas USA getting the richest man in Mexico to buy them. that will happen to, just not yet!

Down the road under silver administration: Vancouver, Louisville and Seattle will get teams. NBA tv money is going to go way up and it will cover those teams coming in.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Do not be surprised about what I said a few days ago: You see the NBA wants you to be a puppet. That is how it works. When Stern and Silver say do this: You do it! That is what KJ did and he worked with them. Now, the truth is that Ballmer and Hansen are ready to sue. You have to be prepared for that! But it doesnt mean they will win. It just means that they can try to hold the Kings hostage to make the NBA give them an expansion team. Hansen doesnt want the Kings. he wants an expansion team. He will take the Kings because that is the only team available. Also he spent a lot of money on land purchase and EIS and other things so he wants to be compensated for that.

Now once Ballmer sues, the NBA is going to get angry. When they get angry, you get on their black list like Maloofs and Larry Ellison for trying to purchase a team (Memphis) and a possible moving them to San Jose without Approval of the NBA. You guys are going to see that Hansen and Ballmer will get in the NBA blacklist. Once that happens, you will see new ownership in Seattle. It wont be hansen getting a team. So if hansen was smart, he lets the Kings go and try for another team. Now he can try for milwaukee if you want. I know they dont have a new arena deal and the legislature is not going to give it to them. they will be available. Bobcats could be available if Jordan is offered the right price. But you have to pay 150 million if you want to get the Bobcats out before 2015. Seems

It is like Chivas USA getting the richest man in Mexico to buy them. that will happen to, just not yet!

Down the road under silver administration: Vancouver, Louisville and Seattle will get teams. NBA tv money is going to go way up and it will cover those teams coming in.
Several comments:

Kevin Johnson is not a puppet. He bargained in good faith for a partnership between Sacramento and the NBA. Chris Hansen basically tried an end-around on the NBA and Sacramento and it failed.

Chris Hansen is the one doing the talking. If you notice, Steve Ballmer has, very wisely, remained silent. He knows there is no potential for a lawsuit to be successful as they knew going in that any relocation and/or sale would ultimately have to be approved by the Board of Governors. While Hansen may end up on the "never to be an owner" list, I seriously doubt if Ballmer would fall into that category.

I don't want Hansen to try and steal any other city's team any more than I wanted him to steal ours. He wants to resurrect the Sonics; the ONLY way to do that without destroying another franchise's history is to get an expansion team. Hansen has a hedge fund mentality. From what he's said and done he has just as much honor as George Maloof, which could explain a lot.

If Seattle isn't careful right now, they won't get any further once Silver is the commissioner than they have with Stern. You don't bully the NBA and walk away unscathed.

They want the new owners to pay for it. So get ready for some remodeling but you have to remember that they arent really going to be there long. So just bare minimum repairs. Some people forget your getting a new arena. So why would you spend a ton of money when you having a brand new arena downtown? Now Chris Hansen was going to spend 7 million on Key Arena with scoreboard and electrical upgrades. Of course the improvements wont be made right now because they wont have a team but they were planning in advance.

Also remember: It is hard when things have not gone your way not to get nervous. People running over to Sonics rising to see what they say. Who cares what they say over there? Your looking because you want to see if they will say good things about Sacramento. they arent. Most dont like you people. That is a fact! Some do! The people who are honest and saw what was right will say I think Sacramento should stay. it is like a man comes in your house with a gun and shoot at you. You defend yourself and then your worried what the robbers family thinks about you! They obviously dont like you so dont go worry what they are doing over there.

There is a HUGE difference between a puppet and someone working WITH someone else. This has been a joint venture now the NBA sitting there telling KJ what to do.

Also, Let H/B sue all they want. It's not going to get them the Kings so they are wasting their time, and will be blacklisted.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
What is that you guys think hedge funds do? Because I'm not understanding the connotation of "hedge fund mentality"
Hedge funds have evolved into quasi-legal syndicates. They go far beyond insider trading and leveraged buy outs, these organized crime units essentially manipulate markets and stocks, commodities derivatives to post huge profits. In many cases tracking their trade history it becomes clear that they buy in over and over at created bottom, then dump just ahead of the drop off with an accuracy that is well beyond any statistical likely hood unless they actually created both the bottom and ceiling.
The Harvard Business Reviewl published an excellent piece on them here:
http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2010/12/how_hedge_funds_create_crimina.html

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I know what a hedge fund is. People are referring to Hansen like he is an M&A guy. Like he buys companies and strips them down.
The Harvard article is not an explanation of hedge funds it is about how Hedge fund Managers think. If you did not read it take a look. The people that excel and stay in the industry believe everyone cheats, there is no right or wrong only winners and losers, and that unethical acts are not hurtful. It reminded me of psychological study a few years back where they did psychological profiles of some of the TOP CEOs and their profiles were consistent with anti-social personality disorder. The harvard conclusions are that the industry of Hedge funds on the one hands weeds out compassionate people, while on the other actively encouraging the belief structure I mentioned earlier.

Several comments:

Kevin Johnson is not a puppet. He bargained in good faith for a partnership between Sacramento and the NBA. Chris Hansen basically tried an end-around on the NBA and Sacramento and it failed.

Chris Hansen is the one doing the talking. If you notice, Steve Ballmer has, very wisely, remained silent. He knows there is no potential for a lawsuit to be successful as they knew going in that any relocation and/or sale would ultimately have to be approved by the Board of Governors. While Hansen may end up on the "never to be an owner" list, I seriously doubt if Ballmer would fall into that category.

I don't want Hansen to try and steal any other city's team any more than I wanted him to steal ours. He wants to resurrect the Sonics; the ONLY way to do that without destroying another franchise's history is to get an expansion team. Hansen has a hedge fund mentality. From what he's said and done he has just as much honor as George Maloof, which could explain a lot.

If Seattle isn't careful right now, they won't get any further once Silver is the commissioner than they have with Stern. You don't bully the NBA and walk away unscathed.
Sorry, he is a puppet. That is ok. Everyone that is an owner is. I know that is hard to take but once you been in the NBA world and reported on it, you would know.

Next: If you heard Levy on Seattle Sports up there, you know that. Ballmer did all the talking he needed to with him to tell you he isnt giving up and he will force his way to take the Kings. Not saying they will be successful. But you have to remember that they spent all that money on land, EIS and other etc to make it worthwhile to use the court system to get the Kings.

The question now is what will Hansen do?

The NBA cities are going to have teams stolen from. Just long enough to get them to talk expansion. Charlotte, maybe Milwaukee (if they are not careful will be taken for the right price.) If the city doesnt want to pay for an arena so the other owners dont look bad, then they will lose their team to a city that will pay for it. Personally, making an arena in a city and not going after an nba franchise is the smart way to go about it. In seattle for example, if I made an arena without saying I want an nba franchise, you will have NBA and NHL people knocking on the door because you can build it the way you want without anyone telling you you need city help. You can build it with your own money with private money and not use public money. But once you give your intentions to the pro leagues, you have to do what they say or you get no team. In fact, you bvecome a puppet to what they want. Do it our way or you dont get a team.

If Seattle sues and the paperwork gets sent to NBA office, it is over for them. Good luck getting off the list!

Also, Let H/B sue all they want. It's not going to get them the Kings so they are wasting their time, and will be blacklisted.
They will be blacklisted. They are "hugely disappointed" with the outcome and cant believe that the NBA gave them the "wink" and then changed their minds. The real problem up there is that when Stern went to talk to Seattle legislature about new arena and this man who runs the Washington Legislature Frank Chopp told them that the NBA wasnt important and said the nba was like a cartel forcing teams to work with the city to make arenas. Stern basically said oh yeah,you embarassed me in front of everyone, we are leaving. AND he did! This is a Frank Chopp vs David Stern fight. Now if you moved the team to another city in the area and still called it Seattle Supersonics, you wouldnt have an issue. But the city of Seattle owns the naming rights to Seattle Supersonics and therefore if the team isnt in the city of Seattle limits, they cant have a team name. They would have to change it. So Hansen has to work with City of Seattle.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Sorry, he is a puppet. That is ok. Everyone that is an owner is. I know that is hard to take but once you been in the NBA world and reported on it, you would know.

Next: If you heard Levy on Seattle Sports up there, you know that. Ballmer did all the talking he needed to with him to tell you he isnt giving up and he will force his way to take the Kings. Not saying they will be successful. But you have to remember that they spent all that money on land, EIS and other etc to make it worthwhile to use the court system to get the Kings.

The NBA cities are going to have teams stolen from. Just long enough to get them to talk expansion. Charlotte, maybe Milwaukee (if they are not careful will be taken for the right price.) If the city doesnt want to pay for an arena so the other owners dont look bad, then they will lose their team to a city that will pay for it. Personally, making an arena in a city and not going after an nba franchise is the smart way to go about it. In seattle for example, if I made an arena without saying I want an nba franchise, you will have NBA and NHL people knocking on the door because you can build it the way you want without anyone telling you you need city help. You can build it with your own money with private money and not use public money. But once you give your intentions to the pro leagues, you have to do what they say or you get no team. In fact, you bvecome a puppet to what they want. Do it our way or you dont get a team.

If Seattle sues and the paperwork gets sent to NBA office, it is over for them. Good luck getting off the list!
Um, KJ isn't an owner.

Following league guidelines does not make one a puppet. Everything from buying a gallon of milk to becoming an astronaut for NASA has rules, regulations, expectations, requirements, or laws associated to that activity. Following rules does not make you a puppet.

Your arguement makes no sense. You can build an arena however you want if you aren't chasing a team but if you are chasing a team you have to build it how they want it??? It is either an NBA-ready facility or it isn't. If you build it how you want but it isn't suitable to the NBA, you still aren't getting a team in there.

And Seattle's problem is NOT the arena. It is that they are trying to take a team from Sacramento. If they were going for an expansion team up for grabs, the arena is NOT an issue for Seattle.

I see people worrying again and have a happy distractful thought. The NBA allows the sale to Hansen, then contracts the franchise while simultaneously awarding Sac an expansion team. :)

Um, KJ isn't an owner.

Following league guidelines does not make one a puppet. Everything from buying a gallon of milk to becoming an astronaut for NASA has rules, regulations, expectations, requirements, or laws associated to that activity. Following rules does not make you a puppet.

Your arguement makes no sense. You can build an arena however you want if you aren't chasing a team but if you are chasing a team you have to build it how they want it??? It is either an NBA-ready facility or it isn't. If you build it how you want but it isn't suitable to the NBA, you still aren't getting a team in there.

And Seattle's problem is NOT the arena. It is that they are trying to take a team from Sacramento. If they were going for an expansion team up for grabs, the arena is NOT an issue for Seattle.
Or if they were going for a team with an expiring lease, no city support, no fan support, no local ownership group willing to step up and no possibility of a new arena. In other words, as dying market that would soon not be a viable NBA market. This is what the Seattle folks don't understand. THAT was them in 2008. Low and declining attendance, no local ownership group stepping up, ZERO city support (in fact, antipathy from the city leaders) and no chance in hell of a new arena. That's how THEY lost the team. Sure, 5 years later that's all forgotten and history is re-written but the truth is that Seattle did the exact opposite of what Sacramento has done. You can argue they deserved to lose the team. There can be no argument - Sacramento DESERVES TO KEEP the team.

By the way, working honestly and transparently hand in hand with the league is what gets you a team. It doesn't make you a puppet, it makes you a SMART person. You go to the league and say "what do we need to do to keep (or, in Seattle's case, get) a team?" and they help you and guide you thru the process. You try to make a backroom deal to sign a "binding" agreement without league approval, and go thru all the measures HBN have gone to strong-arm the league... you reap what you sow.

Our group has gone about this 100% legit, 100% the right way. Seattle's moves have been "dirty" (for the lack of a better word) all the way. It's no injustice (or surprise) that we are where we are.

I see people worrying again and have a happy distractful thought. The NBA allows the sale to Hansen, then contracts the franchise while simultaneously awarding Sac an expansion team. :)
so all the players become free agents? terrible idea! Hansen has no grounds to sue (an NBA purchase contract clearly states that you cannot sue if your bid is blocked), the Maloofs have to sell (broke, broke, broke) and that's all there is to it. the noise is just that, noise.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

LOL. Sorry, but you lost any remnant of credibility you may have had with me with that ridiculous assertion.

There are members of this forum whose credentials would amaze you. They don't talk about them because they're not relevant. And there are people currently "in the NBA World and reporting on it" who don't know jack diddily squat.

Your arguments are without merit. The moneys spent by Hansen, etc. mean nothing at all. You cannot manipulate the NBA and force them into giving you a team because you spent money to try and build your case.

Teams cannot be stolen if the owners are not sleaze-buckets like the Maloofs. And your assertion about building an arena and waiting for the NBA to come knocking on your door is just stupid. Ask Kansas City.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Or if they were going for a team with an expiring lease, no city support, no fan support, no local ownership group willing to step up and no possibility of a new arena. In other words, as dying market that would soon not be a viable NBA market. This is what the Seattle folks don't understand. THAT was them in 2008. Low and declining attendance, no local ownership group stepping up, ZERO city support (in fact, antipathy from the city leaders) and no chance in hell of a new arena. That's how THEY lost the team. Sure, 5 years later that's all forgotten and history is re-written but the truth is that Seattle did the exact opposite of what Sacramento has done. You can argue they deserved to lose the team. There can be no argument - Sacramento DESERVES TO KEEP the team.

By the way, working honestly and transparently hand in hand with the league is what gets you a team. It doesn't make you a puppet, it makes you a SMART person. You go to the league and say "what do we need to do to keep (or, in Seattle's case, get) a team?" and they help you and guide you thru the process. You try to make a backroom deal to sign a "binding" agreement without league approval, and go thru all the measures HBN have gone to strong-arm the league... you reap what you sow.

Our group has gone about this 100% legit, 100% the right way. Seattle's moves have been "dirty" (for the lack of a better word) all the way. It's no injustice (or surprise) that we are where we are.
Bravo.

They will be blacklisted. They are "hugely disappointed" with the outcome and cant believe that the NBA gave them the "wink" and then changed their minds. The real problem up there is that when Stern went to talk to Seattle legislature about new arena and this man who runs the Washington Legislature Frank Chopp told them that the NBA wasnt important and said the nba was like a cartel forcing teams to work with the city to make arenas. Stern basically said oh yeah,you embarassed me in front of everyone, we are leaving. AND he did! This is a Frank Chopp vs David Stern fight. Now if you moved the team to another city in the area and still called it Seattle Supersonics, you wouldnt have an issue. But the city of Seattle owns the naming rights to Seattle Supersonics and therefore if the team isnt in the city of Seattle limits, they cant have a team name. They would have to change it. So Hansen has to work with City of Seattle.

Being blacklisted isn't a good play for them here... Several teams have relocated in the past many years, and a couple will most likely in the next 5-6 years... they have positioned themselves next in line.. odds are greater than getting the Kings at this point