Tyrese Haliburton

that doesn’t mean anything he’s a rookie with no tape and teams not game planning for him. The minute he gets to 20ppg teams start preparing for him different, those numbers you put makes him an mvp candidate and he’ll never even be a top 10 player
Based on what? Lamelo has looked pretty freaking good so far this year. Maybe won’t hit those numbers, but it’s pretty easy to see him being a top 10 guy down the road.

Dudes randomly rooting against Fox because Haliburton is good is a dumb thing that shouldn’t be happening.

The only realistic way the Kings are good any time soon is if both turn out as good as we think they probably can be.
Bingo. I think Rese is gonna be vital to come in and give Fox rests by taking some of the playmaking duties off his plate so he’s got more energy to use on defense. Up until this point, that is a luxury we have not been able to give him after Luke’s point Buddy experiments didn’t work as recently as last year.

I really feel like Haliburton just does things that don't show in the stat sheets and the Kings just play better under him. I don't really care if he wins an award or not after the Tyreke thing. For all I know if he gets second he'll enter next year with a chip on his shoulder and continue to blow us away.
Tyrese won't win. He legit might not deserve it, for one, but more than that he won't have the numbers that folks (who don't really follow the team closely) overvalue and the Kings probably won't have a significantly better record than last year.

I, personally, don't care.

I care about two things: 1) Is he a difference-maker - in a good way? Answer seems clear: YES. The related question is how much of a difference maker he can become. That remains to be seen. I think his ceiling is mosdef higher than "amazing glue guy."

2) Is he the kind of player that draws other (good) players? In addition to continued development from Fox and Halliburton, the Kings need at least one other young, complementary All-Star-caliber contributor to possibly become a perennial playoff contender. That might yet be Bagley. Regardless of the Kings' cap situation there'll always be multiple suitors for those guys and we know Sacramento has a hard time attracting top guys. Halliburton's potential and particular skill set *might* have real appeal.

I really feel like Haliburton just does things that don't show in the stat sheets and the Kings just play better under him. I don't really care if he wins an award or not after the Tyreke thing. For all I know if he gets second he'll enter next year with a chip on his shoulder and continue to blow us away.
You’re absolutely right, he does. Lots of hockey assists, for one.

But he does other instinctive things too. Like push/bat rebounds and loose balls to teammates when he quickly realizes he is at a disadvantage in securing the ball himself. He also seems to know exactly when to dig or contest players being guarded by others.

All things you’d expect from a player with a strong BBIQ.

Dudes randomly rooting against Fox because Haliburton is good is a dumb thing that shouldn’t be happening.

The only realistic way the Kings are good any time soon is if both turn out as good as we think they probably can be.
Who's rooting against him?

My comment was about the only way Hali stands a chance of getting ROY.

Lamelo looks like he has a higher ceiling than Haliburton. Looks to have the makeup of a #1 option where Haliburton looks like more of a #2 or glue guy but who knows what they'll look like in a couple years. I'd say Lamelo has a better shot at ROY because his numbers will just look better overall due to his aggressiveness whereas Tyrese's numbers will look a bit more pedestrian in comparison other than his super high efficiency when it comes to shooting and passing.
Their stats are very close except in rebounds. Ty also has a much better FG and 3pt%. Not assuming it will stay this way but we’ll see

You’re absolutely right, he does. Lots of hockey assists, for one.

But he does other instinctive things too. Like push/bat rebounds and loose balls to teammates when he quickly realizes he is at a disadvantage in securing the ball himself. He also seems to know exactly when to dig or contest players being guarded by others.

All things you’d expect from a player with a strong BBIQ.
He's so far the Draymond-esque glue guy that makes the team function regardless of what shows up in the box score. Of course, Draymond only is that valuable because of the presence of Steph/Klay.

So really Hali has to become a star, which while he has been amazing just hasn't been his play style so far, or more likely Fox and (insert player here) need to be all stars and Haliburton will tie it all together.

Last edited:
Well then explain why.
IDK know what type of explanation is required. I just don’t see what you described.

LaMelo and Tyrese have only played 14 and 12 games respectively. Neither is a full time starter. Both average between 25-28 minutes PT.

I’ve yet to see anything that suggests one has a higher ceiling than the other or is more of a #1 option. But if I had to guess just based off the small sample size, I’m more impressed with Haliburton’s ability to play like a seasoned vet right out of the gate. I see his potential ceiling being just as high as anyone else.

I realize Ball is 21 months younger. But they are both very young considering. The age difference is fairly negligible IMO. Also, while Tyrese is older, Ball had professional playing experience already and has an older brother in the league to lean upon and learn from. Different circumstances.

Admittedly, both players look quite good so far. So I’m not dissing LaMelo. I just haven’t seen enough to indicate to me that one has any more potential than the other.

Respect - but 21 months is a massive difference in rookies. I haven’t been watching LaMelo - but I love watching Rese ball. It’s just so hard to compare players with such different usage rates.

IDK know what type of explanation is required. I just don’t see what you described.

LaMelo and Tyrese have only played 14 and 12 games respectively. Neither is a full time starter. Both average between 25-28 minutes PT.

I’ve yet to see anything that suggests one has a higher ceiling than the other or is more of a #1 option. But if I had to guess just based off the small sample size, I’m more impressed with Haliburton’s ability to play like a seasoned vet right out of the gate. I see his potential ceiling being just as high as anyone else.

I realize Ball is 21 months younger. But they are both very young considering. The age difference is fairly negligible IMO. Also, while Tyrese is older, Ball had professional playing experience already and has an older brother in the league to lean upon and learn from. Different circumstances.

Admittedly, both players look quite good so far. So I’m not dissing LaMelo. I just haven’t seen enough to indicate to me that one has any more potential than the other.
To me, LaMelo has that "I'm going to put the team on my back and take over" mentality. The same kind that Luka had coming into the league...although he's not nearly as good as Luka. At least not yet. He has that bulldog mentality.

Tyrese looks to fit into the team better and do what he can do within the flow of the game while rarely ever trying to take over. In fact it seems as if he purposely tries not to take over most of the time. He's extremely good at doing what he does because he almost always makes the team better when he's on the floor.

I will always take the player with the LaMelo mentality as long as they show the skills to back it up because those are the guys that have a higher chance to turn into the players like Lebron, Giannis, Harden, Luka etc. Tyrese's future is more difficult to gauge because there aren't many players like him right out of college. There are many different ways he could go. He could be a Joe Ingles or a Doug Christie or a Gordon Hayward or maybe even something better? I don't really know and it's not a knock on him at all because he's already proven he's going to be an above average player in some capacity. It's just to me, LaMelo has more of a possibility to knock it out of the park than Tyrese does and that's why I think he has the higher ceiling.

Respect - but 21 months is a massive difference in rookies. I haven’t been watching LaMelo - but I love watching Rese ball. It’s just so hard to compare players with such different usage rates.
So is a year of playing pro ball versus college. Basically makes up for the age difference.

Regardless IMO people make too much out of age. Just because somebody is ahead of a curve doesn’t mean they are destined to remain there. Or that their ceiling is higher. Conversely, just because a player takes longer to develop (think Steve Nash) doesn’t mean the ceiling is lower.

People develop and progress at different speeds. At everything, not just basketball. LaMelo comes from a family that prioritized basketball for the entire family. IMO it’s not surprising they were ahead of the curve. However there’s no concrete correlation from early development to unlimited potential. For all we know a player like LaMelo could be closer to his eventual ceiling than anyone else.

In tennis, I remember when Jennifer Capriati took the world by storm at 13 yo. Everyone was convinced if she was that good at 13, she’d be unbeatable later on. Well, nice career but only 3 grand slam titles suggests she was just one of many others that have done the same.

To summarize, I don’t believe age is near as big a factor as many like to make it out to be. Especially in this day and age where kids are prepared and focused on singular activities at very young ages.

To me, LaMelo has that "I'm going to put the team on my back and take over" mentality. The same kind that Luka had coming into the league...although he's not nearly as good as Luka. At least not yet. He has that bulldog mentality.

Tyrese looks to fit into the team better and do what he can do within the flow of the game while rarely ever trying to take over. In fact it seems as if he purposely tries not to take over most of the time. He's extremely good at doing what he does because he almost always makes the team better when he's on the floor.

I will always take the player with the LaMelo mentality as long as they show the skills to back it up because those are the guys that have a higher chance to turn into the players like Lebron, Giannis, Harden, Luka etc. Tyrese's future is more difficult to gauge because there aren't many players like him right out of college. There are many different ways he could go. He could be a Joe Ingles or a Doug Christie or a Gordon Hayward or maybe even something better? I don't really know and it's not a knock on him at all because he's already proven he's going to be an above average player in some capacity. It's just to me, LaMelo has more of a possibility to knock it out of the park than Tyrese does and that's why I think he has the higher ceiling.
Not saying that he will ever be half the player, but Magic Johnson was very much the same way early in his career. And even sporadically through his career. He learned what he needed to do and when he needed to do it.

If the game dictated for Magic to score 42, he’d focus on doing that. But he was much more happy and content to get everyone else involved as a first option.

Thus far, I see Tyrese the same way. He prefers to play ‘team’ ball and make the right basketball decisions. He doesn’t want to force things and be selfish. And that’s honestly the the right way to play.

Think of it is playing from inside out. For many decades prior to this ridiculous 3 point hero ball era, teams played inside to setup the outside shot. In the NFL they established the run to setup the pass.

In basketball you should play unselfishly and make the smart plays until such time that you are forced to become selfish. That’s what I believe Tyrese will learn eventually.

I’m actually leery of any 19 year old that comes in with a selfish “put the team on my back” mentality. I don’t believe it translates to future success as much as the unassuming, unselfish type.

Not so surprising to me, the player widely believed to have been the best player the past decade, LBJ, is a player in the Magic mold. A player that prefers to get others involved and make the smart basketball play. Like Magic, he had to learn when to become selfish. But he mostly still defers and makes the best play.

And also not surprisingly to me, the Warriors dominated for years also playing a less selfish brand of ball. While guys like Steph and Klay have taken turns carrying the team, they still prefer to make the right plays as the top option.

Meanwhile all the ball dominant chuckers around the league mostly languish w/o titles. Even KD had to join the Warriors to get one. And now the bearded hag is trying to do the same with KD, as the hero ball BS has produced Jack squat.

Kobe is the only “me” player that has seen major success. But even 3 of the titles he was part of were largely made possible because he had to the benefit of playing alongside one of the most physically dominant big men of all time. And if not for Kobe’s selfishness and need to be the “man” and put the team on his own back, he very well might have 6 or 7 titles to his resume instead of 5.

To conclude, give me the unselfish player 99/100 times.

Last edited:
For what its worth in addition to his young age this is also Lamelos first time when he is playing real structured basketball. Maybe you can count his 12 games in Australia but even there he had the green light to do whatever he liked on offense and had zero accountability on defense. Prior to that he had that 8 game stint in somewhere Lithuania and all of his basketball before that were some Chino Hills globetrotter esque basketball where you could chuck up shots behind the half court line if you wanted. So imo Lamelo lacks experience compared to other prospects.

He was my clear gut number one in this last draft, in his own tier actually. Even to me he looks a lot better than expected. If I had to guess Timberwolves and Warriors are already feeling bad about passing on him (I would've never even considered taking Edwards over Lamelo and you know how I feel about investing heavily on centers) and if we held a redraft now Lamelo would be the number one pick while Haliburton would probably be in the top three. Haliburton is one of the best picks Kings have made in a LONG time and however good Lamelo will be, it wont matter because we never were in a position to pick him and instead we picked the best possible prospect that we could've

Last edited: