Tyrese Haliburton

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
More like ten, Charlotte is probably OK with LaMelo. As of now it's a two-man race for ROY between Hali and LaMelo but if the vote were today I wouldn't be surprised to see LaMelo squeak it out. His shooting percentages are worse, but his points/assists stats are a bit better and he's really pulling down boards in a way Tyrese isn't.

If they stay this close, and Charlotte makes the playoffs and the Kings don't, I would suspect that Tyrese would have to settle for 2nd.
If the Warriors make a bit of run, Wiseman will get some votes too. Edwards has the flashy athleticism and numbers to get votes as well.
Also we somehow have like 60 games left in the season.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If the Warriors make a bit of run, Wiseman will get some votes too. Edwards has the flashy athleticism and numbers to get votes as well.
Probably true, but at this point the advanced stats on Wiseman and Edwards are unkind to say the least. That's no to say that they can't possibly turn it around and make things interesting. Still, Edwards is shooting .276 from three on almost 6 attempts per game, and he couldn't shoot in college, either. Why people think he's suddenly going to figure out how to shoot is beyond me. Wiseman's TS% is .534, and when 22% of your FGA are dunks and you shoot .400 from three I don't even know how that happens. I guess I'm a bit more optimistic that Wiseman's numbers will trend up than I am of Edwards. But right now if I had to pick the guys most likely to get their name into the discussion I'd probably point at Maxey and Avdija, both guys who have already established that they're going to play legit minutes and have been doing it at pretty good efficiency thus far.

More like ten, Charlotte is probably OK with LaMelo. As of now it's a two-man race for ROY between Hali and LaMelo but if the vote were today I wouldn't be surprised to see LaMelo squeak it out. His shooting percentages are worse, but his points/assists stats are a bit better and he's really pulling down boards in a way Tyrese isn't.

If they stay this close, and Charlotte makes the playoffs and the Kings don't, I would suspect that Tyrese would have to settle for 2nd.
I don't think I'd mind the scenario where the Kings rally into the Playoffs to ensure Ty winning the ROY...

:p

His shooting percentages are worse, but his points/assists stats are a bit better and he's really pulling down boards in a way Tyrese isn't.
You reminded me of something I was thinking about a few days back. And that’s how rebounds from guards (and triple doubles) are overrated in this day and age. Don’t get me wrong, you want every rebound you can get. Especially those long rebounds that often result in offensive rebounds and 2nd, 3rd or 4th opportunities.

But I just mean in comparison to past eras. Teams shoot so many deep threes nowadays, often in transition that there are far more rebounds to be had by guards than at any time in recent history. Maybe ever.

My point being, while still impressive, what Russell Westbrook has been doing the past several years just wasn’t near as possible to accomplish in the 80’s, 90’s and even during the 2000’s.

Circling back to Tyrese v. LaMelo — if/when Tyrese starts getting 30+ minutes consistently his numbers will likely rise to the point of him being a favorite for the ROY award.

You reminded me of something I was thinking about a few days back. And that’s how rebounds from guards (and triple doubles) are overrated in this day and age. Don’t get me wrong, you want every rebound you can get. Especially those long rebounds that often result in offensive rebounds and 2nd, 3rd or 4th opportunities.

But I just mean in comparison to past eras. Teams shoot so many deep threes nowadays, often in transition that there are far more rebounds to be had by guards than at any time in recent history. Maybe ever.

My point being, while still impressive, what Russell Westbrook has been doing the past several years just wasn’t near as possible to accomplish in the 80’s, 90’s and even during the 2000’s.

Circling back to Tyrese v. LaMelo — if/when Tyrese starts getting 30+ minutes consistently his numbers will likely rise to the point of him being a favorite for the ROY award.
Lamelo has the bigger name he’s winning it as long as he stays healthy we got the better player though

I feel like the team has the pieces and potential to actually take a step forward and they demonstrate it at times. Halliburton is a big piece and Fox is better this year. Bagley is showing some progression. But I can’t help but feel as though we have th wrong coach in place
Lionel was before my King’s fandom. A cursory glance at his stats show he was a really good player his first 4 years in the league and then fell off a cliff. What happened?
Knees

I thought Tetris was slang for something I wasn’t privy to. Google tells me you indeed meant the game :D
Yeah, L-Train was the first player I ever recall suffering from “Nintendo-itis”. Which was a real thing! (Damn, that d-pad sure took it’s toll on your thumb!)

Back then it was sure was a novelty having a pro player show up on an injury report due to a video game related injury LMAO. Who knew pretty much ALL players would end up addicted to gaming years later?!

At least the controls are much safer ;)

I haven't watched many Hornet's games, but if Lamelo is anything like Lonzo, he's likely getting boards in the trenches as well as those long rebounds.

Lavar gifted his sons with height, size, a funky jump shot, elite passing, and elite boarding. The last gift, I think is often overlooked. Lonzo was probably UCLA's best rebounder, better than the bigs--going for boards over bigs in the paint. Despite his faults, Lavar made his sons tough af.

I haven't watched many Hornet's games, but if Lamelo is anything like Lonzo, he's likely getting boards in the trenches as well as those long rebounds.

Lavar gifted his sons with height, size, a funky jump shot, elite passing, and elite boarding. The last gift, I think is often overlooked. Lonzo was probably UCLA's best rebounder, better than the bigs--going for boards over bigs in the paint. Despite his faults, Lavar made his sons tough af.
Lamelo looks like he has a higher ceiling than Haliburton. Looks to have the makeup of a #1 option where Haliburton looks like more of a #2 or glue guy but who knows what they'll look like in a couple years. I'd say Lamelo has a better shot at ROY because his numbers will just look better overall due to his aggressiveness whereas Tyrese's numbers will look a bit more pedestrian in comparison other than his super high efficiency when it comes to shooting and passing.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Interesting takes on Halliburton’s future or ceiling and I’m not saying anyone’s wrong but I also see Haliburton with the very key stat of being one of the top 4th quarter scorers in the entire league. I’ve seen Melo play a bit and he’s looking better and better. Truth is both players look damn good for rookies. Haliburton has the clutch gene and it factor and ability to make others around him better. Fair to say he and Fox are 2 of the cornerstones going forward with room to improve While also being damn good in the present

Lamelo looks like he has a higher ceiling than Haliburton. Looks to have the makeup of a #1 option where Haliburton looks like more of a #2 or glue guy but who knows what they'll look like in a couple years. I'd say Lamelo has a better shot at ROY because his numbers will just look better overall due to his aggressiveness whereas Tyrese's numbers will look a bit more pedestrian in comparison other than his super high efficiency when it comes to shooting and passing.
Lamelo looks like he can be 70 percent of what Luka is. Big lead guard, elite passer, elite rebounder average or below average defense. I could see him as an all star averaging 23 11 and 9.

Ty is harder to gauge for me. He has always been a ridiculously good 3 point shooter on set shots but struggled in college when he had to create a look. If he shoots 41 percent from three with decent volume and develops a floater he could maybe average what Fox does now? So let’s say 18-20 8 with 1.5 steals. His intangibles would make that a super valuable player ( he is already there but let’s see where it goes)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Lamelo looks like he can be 70 percent of what Luka is. Big lead guard, elite passer, elite rebounder average or below average defense. I could see him as an all star averaging 23 11 and 9.

Ty is harder to gauge for me. He has always been a ridiculously good 3 point shooter on set shots but struggled in college when he had to create a look. If he shoots 41 percent from three with decent volume and develops a floater he could maybe average what Fox does now? So let’s say 18-20 8 with 1.5 steals. His intangibles would make that a super valuable player ( he is already there but let’s see where it goes)
Right. Tyrese is already out here producing at the level draft prognosticators were saying would be his ceiling (elite role player/inherently playable on any roster in the league). Either he never ever gets better or he's going to burst through that ceiling (likely but the remains as to what degree he does).

Hali playing both ends of the floor does give him a leg up on pretty much any other contender for ROY at this point but Lamelo is pretty good (though I'm not sure he winds up averaging a near triple double like you wrote there)

I know it's early, but numbers definitely don't tell the whole tale. Even that being said, the fact that this team looks much better with a rookie on the floor 10 games into the season says a lot both about not only the quality of said rookie, but also the state of the rest of our team.

I think a lot needs to be said about Haliburton's ability to make others look better. That won't ever show up on the stat sheet, and man, am I glad we have someone like that. Glue guys aren't about just having the ability to pick up stats in multiple facets of the game, they literally make the parts you have work together in a cohesive unit. That skill isn't valued as much by statsters, but loved by winning franchises. We finally have that kind of player who does it at an elite level. The best part about that kind of skill is that it isn't something really to gameplan against either. If Haliburton helps increase the productivity of Fox, or whoever is on the court, then teams will still have to worry more about Fox than Haliburton. You can see the vision of what this team was supposed to be a little better with more than one high BBIQ on the court.

Sign me up if the ceiling is 17/7/7.

Watching Ball right now and he looks kinda ordinary. Small sample size.

Playing the Mavs, who must have the biggest front line in the league—Boban, WCS, n Porsingas. Plus Kleber and Powell—both are currently out. They clog the lane and allow their wings to fan out.

Absolutely absurd

I really feel like Haliburton just does things that don't show in the stat sheets and the Kings just play better under him. I don't really care if he wins an award or not after the Tyreke thing. For all I know if he gets second he'll enter next year with a chip on his shoulder and continue to blow us away.

I don’t think he will be far off. He is averaging 12 7 and 6 in 25 minutes
that doesn’t mean anything he’s a rookie with no tape and teams not game planning for him. The minute he gets to 20ppg teams start preparing for him different, those numbers you put makes him an mvp candidate and he’ll never even be a top 10 player

I really feel like Haliburton just does things that don't show in the stat sheets and the Kings just play better under him. I don't really care if he wins an award or not after the Tyreke thing. For all I know if he gets second he'll enter next year with a chip on his shoulder and continue to blow us away.
Every time he puts up a jump shot I expect him to drain it. I don’t know if I’ve ever felt that way as a Kings fan but he’s given me more joy and confidence in him in the last 12 games than any other King in recent memory