Tyrese Haliburton

And with Haliburton they showed up the on the screen and he did what he's so good at. Rather than splitting it or driving straight in, he passed it right away and re-balanced the floor.

And this is EXACTLY why you draft based on talent, not need. Hopefully that debate doesn't even exist before the next draft, because it sure as s**t was a hot topic before the last one. You don't pass on a greater talent to get a "better fit".
Only go need when the talent/skill is even or close to it. Otherwise BPA always.

I thought most had learned that lesson when Portland got burned taking Bowie over Jordan because they had Drexler. Even if Bowie hadn’t become injured, that decision likely cost Portland at least a few championships.

But some never learn and are destined to repeat history.

Thanks man. I'm actually glad half his quotes these days need to be bleeped out. At least we know the team leader cares.
A small excerpt from Jones at the Athletic

“In this league, you’ve got to be able to play one-on-one defense because at the end of the day everything’s going to end in a post-up, a pick-and-roll or an isolation,” Fox said. “That’s basketball, that’s NBA basketball. We just weren’t there with our individual defense.”

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Maybe our reflex to hammer on the negative is because, as Kings fans, we can rarely have nice things. I am conflicted feeling so good about Tyrese because I'm afraid that too much good feelings about him will jinx him or the situation. I don't want to wake the ghosts of the Kingdom.

I'm really enjoying explicit Fox so far this season
Right, like I'm seeing people online talking about the Kings needing to get rid of Fox because we have Tyrese now, all because Kings fans have been conditioned to only accept having one or two good players at once.

Right, like I'm seeing people online talking about the Kings needing to get rid of Fox because we have Tyrese now, all because Kings fans have been conditioned to only accept having one or two good players at once.
I meant to post that a day or two ago but forgot. Glad you caught it before I erased it because it still stands, just thought it might be too late in the thread to keep it.

FWIW, I think Fox and Haliburton are an ideal combo. I want to see how they look after 40 games... People wanting to trade him are just too reactionary and jumping 3 years ahead too soon. To each their own I guess..

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I meant to post that a day or two ago but forgot. Glad you caught it before I erased it because it still stands, just thought it might be too late in the thread to keep it.

FWIW, I think Fox and Haliburton are an ideal combo. I want to see how they look after 40 games... People wanting to trade him are just too reactionary and jumping 3 years ahead too soon. To each their own I guess..
Or really took the Vlade/Grant "Can't take the ball outta De'Aaron's hands" narrative to heart.

It’s pretty annoying. As soon as we get some good players that start to play well, some fans are ready to break it up for future picks. It’s like they love the continuing cycle of play bad/mediocre, miss the playoffs, look towards the draft, repeat.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I feel like the team has the pieces and potential to actually take a step forward and they demonstrate it at times. Halliburton is a big piece and Fox is better this year. Bagley is showing some progression. But I can’t help but feel as though we have th wrong coach in place

I feel like the team has the pieces and potential to actually take a step forward and they demonstrate it at times. Halliburton is a big piece and Fox is better this year. Bagley is showing some progression. But I can’t help but feel as though we have th wrong coach in place
Barnes has been a big part of it to me too and he showed it at times last night when we were looking good

It's a holdover coach. Even if he were the right guy I can't remember a coach in his specific position with the results he's had over his tenure and issues in the locker room with at least 2 of his stars lasting too long. I could see it if the Kings were at the start of a true rebuild then it's all based on development but they are still in the middle. They have a shrinking cap and their young core is either already on max-ish deals or soon to be. McNair can't afford to let this locker room become toxic with those things considered. The more off center things become now, the harder it is to stabilize later. If it can be that is.

It’s pretty annoying. As soon as we get some good players that start to play well, some fans are ready to break it up for future picks. It’s like they love the continuing cycle of play bad/mediocre, miss the playoffs, look towards the draft, repeat.
It is like leasing a rebuild every few years rather than buying one outright and driving it for enough years to enjoy it.

I think trading Fox because we have Haliburton would be ridiculous but many times it's fairly obvious when you have players that just aren't going to work or are an ill fit. You don't have to ride everything out until you're sure it's not going to work.

People always act like the Kings give up on players too early but that's about as far from the truth as anything. Very rarely do players leave and get better. At best they have a better year or two somewhere else and get injured or fizzle out early.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Eleven teams are likely regretting rn.
More like ten, Charlotte is probably OK with LaMelo. As of now it's a two-man race for ROY between Hali and LaMelo but if the vote were today I wouldn't be surprised to see LaMelo squeak it out. His shooting percentages are worse, but his points/assists stats are a bit better and he's really pulling down boards in a way Tyrese isn't.

If they stay this close, and Charlotte makes the playoffs and the Kings don't, I would suspect that Tyrese would have to settle for 2nd.