Tyreke's Rookie-Veteran Pairing??

Hi

On ESPN Thorpe did his annual rookie/vet parings where he identifies which vets a number of rookies should study.

Well, this year it is completely an ESPN Insider article.

I know we cannot post these articles here, but can someone just post the section about Tyreke (and Omri if there is one for him)?

Mods, if that is against the board rules, feel free to delete this thread.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We cannot post entire sections of his article. I'm closing this for now, but hoping one of the other mods might be able to do a synopsis or something so our members can get the gist of the articles...

:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's what ReinadelosReys says about the article:

Nothing really of note, just that Tyreke should look at LeBron and how he involves his teammates and how the Cav's love to play with Lebron and Tyreke should adapt his game so that players love to play with him (getting them open shots, setting them up etc). Tyreke dribbles too much, but he's young etc etc...
At this point, I'll reopen the thread but please, folks. Do not reproduce the Insider article itself. Thanks...and thanks, Reina!

:D

Such reverence for such a biased news source... Tyreke paired with Lebron? Clearly this is because Lebron is one of the few vets better than Tyreke...

Read the article, and I would agree about Lebron. Lebron's driving skills are very reliant on getting a shoulder by his opponent, and using his body to seal off, much akin to Tyreke. My best comparison on Tyreke is Wade/Lebron, without the vertical explosiveness of either.

It's true, Tyreke dribbles way too much. His passing angles are not very developed yet. His assists come from making the easy pass to a spot up shooter, or drive and kicks. Hopefully it will come with time.

As far as Casspi, Hedo would be a great person to emulate because he is so cerebral. Casspi would beat Hedo in terms of athleticism, so if he can mimic Hedo's game, especially in terms of playmaking, he would be a good fit.

And for Insider, check Surplus Mags for deals. I signed up for 4 years at under $4. With Bing, I ended up getting paid to have a subscription. I don't read ESPN at all, but Insider is worth the leg(mouse)work imo. More and more things on ESPN are being shuttled over to Insider.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I read the article. Thorpe's first sentence says Tyreke doesn't have near the talent of Lebron. He goes on to say Tyreke needs to involve his teammates more like Lebron, and he has to get to the point where his teammates enjoy playing with him.

At first, you would think comparing Tyreke to Lebron would be complementary. Not with that tool Thorpe. He took a shot at Tyreke in his first sentence, adn then implied Tyreke's teammates don't enjoy playing with him. I for one, have had enough of this jack*** named David Thorpe.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I read the article. Thorpe's first sentence says Tyreke doesn't have near the talent of Lebron. He goes on to say Tyreke needs to involve his teammates more like Lebron, and he has to get to the point where his teammates enjoy playing with him.

At first, you would think comparing Tyreke to Lebron would be complementary. Not with that tool Thorpe. He took a shot at Tyreke in his first sentence, adn then implied Tyreke's teammates don't enjoy playing with him. I for one, have had enough of this jack*** named David Thorpe.

Oh I know -- that has been perfectly obvious all season long. I don't think Thorpe is a straight shooter anyway -- he's inherently corrupted by having dozens of NBA clients and routinely lets it effect his assessments.

Id say Tyreke is a mix of young MJ/ George Gervin. Basically hes going to the basket. The defense knows hes going to the basket and they cant do anything to stop him from getting there. Once Evans gets to the basket hes got a bunch of fancy layups to choose from.

Oh, it gets better when he takes shots at Tyreke in his chat too ;)

Bricklayer

i dont know how many shots he could be taking when thorpe has had him ranked as the number one rookie all season. constructive criticism

Its quite evident not by choice.

And as I recall he actually even had Omri (a client) ranked over him at one point there, so it hasn't been all season. He jsut quit updating there for along while as well. The NBA.com rookie rankings guy, who I've actually exchanged e-mails with, is a far straighter shooter on these things.

Thorpe is good compared to some of the other ESPN NBA guys. At least hes down to earth and doesnt take himself to seriously.

And honestly, just reacting to this article, You HAVE to say he doesnt have the talent Lebron has. Lebron is going to be the MVP this year hands down, and when its all said and done could be the best player of all time. He'll have the stats to back that up, too. Reke can never be as good as James just because of the freak Lebron is. Hes bigger and more athletic than Evans, James will always have that over him.

I, and a lot of other Kings fans have probly seen every game of Tyrekes young career. More than Thorpe has seen, thats for sure. So for an outsider like Thorpe its easy to see why he wrote what he wrote. You can call it poor journalism if you want, I'll give you that. I think Evans is a better passer than he gets credit for, but its deffinetly an aspect of his game I think he can improve on.

And as far as the 'love playing with him' point, I can see where Thorpe is coming from. I dont think the Kings DISLIKE playing with Reke, but he does over dribble, he does tend to waste a ton of clock, I can see why playing with someone who commands the ball SO much can get frustrating. So while Thorpe's points make sense, Im not sure how accurate they are .. I can see why he wrote what he wrote though.

The article was positive. I dont know what else some of you expect from ESPN. I didnt have a problem with it. Our 20 year old rookie got compared to the best player in the world .. of course were going to complain about it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

It's because Reke is nothing compared to the living god that is Kevin (Don't call me Kenyon) Martin.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Thorpe is good compared to some of the other ESPN NBA guys. At least hes down to earth and doesnt take himself to seriously.

And honestly, just reacting to this article, You HAVE to say he doesnt have the talent Lebron has. Lebron is going to be the MVP this year hands down, and when its all said and done could be the best player of all time. He'll have the stats to back that up, too. Reke can never be as good as James just because of the freak Lebron is. Hes bigger and more athletic than Evans, James will always have that over him.

I, and a lot of other Kings fans have probly seen every game of Tyrekes young career. More than Thorpe has seen, thats for sure. So for an outsider like Thorpe its easy to see why he wrote what he wrote. You can call it poor journalism if you want, I'll give you that. I think Evans is a better passer than he gets credit for, but its deffinetly an aspect of his game I think he can improve on.

And as far as the 'love playing with him' point, I can see where Thorpe is coming from. I dont think the Kings DISLIKE playing with Reke, but he does over dribble, he does tend to waste a ton of clock, I can see why playing with someone who commands the ball SO much can get frustrating. So while Thorpe's points make sense, Im not sure how accurate they are .. I can see why he wrote what he wrote though.

The article was positive. I dont know what else some of you expect from ESPN. I didnt have a problem with it. Our 20 year old rookie got compared to the best player in the world .. of course were going to complain about it.
Don't ask a certain former King/ Thorpe client.

Bricklayer

Don't ask a certain former King/ Thorpe client.

Which is of course most likely where that comment comes from. Actually its kid of ironic, because the other King who made some grumbling noises in the early season as none other than Thorpe's other client, Omri. Must be something pissy in the water down at Thorpe's training center.

To the guys who play ball even just for fun, especially the guards - I wonder if you guys have experienced the same thing as I have on countless occasions. You penetrate or set a big man up right near the basket for an open lay up (or probably dunk in USA...here the average Joe is far from even touching the rim I would think) and they throw up some weak **** without even jumping that just rolls off. At my below amateur recreational level I can live with team mates missing open long shots, but things like missed open layups with at least decent players by beginner recreational standards just frustrates me very often.

For Tyreke, who's playing at a professional level, it must be even more frustrating when guys don't finish layups around the rim or consistently clunk wide open shots. Kinda makes you wanna do things more on your own.

Can anyone else relate to this?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To the guys who play ball even just for fun, especially the guards - I wonder if you guys have experienced the same thing as I have on countless occasions. You penetrate or set a big man up right near the basket for an open lay up (or probably dunk in USA...here the average Joe is far from even touching the rim I would think) and they throw up some weak **** without even jumping that just rolls off. At my below amateur recreational level I can live with team mates missing open long shots, but things like missed open layups with at least decent players by beginner recreational standards just frustrates me very often.

For Tyreke, who's playing at a professional level, it must be even more frustrating when guys don't finish layups around the rim or consistently clunk wide open shots. Kinda makes you wanna do things more on your own.

Okay, this is an interesting question but I'm not sure it belongs in a Tyreke-veteran pairing thread. The problem is, I can't think of where else it should belong, if it should have its own thread, etc.

Any suggestions?

(Based on REC BASKETBALL experience)
At 6'3" I have always been cast as the center and want to point out that making a "easy" basket in the paint is hardly ever easy! Guards always ***** and complain when you don't "just kick it out", or "go straight up for the easy basket!" when you are doubled, sometimes tripled down low. It's a battle in there, elbows flyin' 6 hands grabbing for the ball and smackin' you in the face, arms, legs, back. You don't have the luxury of a clear view of the hoop like an outside shooter, when you go up for a shot, often you find yourself in a completely different spot than you expected and you have to adjust your shot with a hand in your face and a knee in your groin!

Just stickin' up for the big guys! :p

Bricklayer

Wow if the late 80's is old school, I must be really getting old. :eek:

Hadn't noticed the creeping definition of "old school" advancing into your own timeline until just now eh? :p

I have. :cool:

"Old school" for me was 60s/early 70s and earlier. Now we're heading into an era when Jordan is old school. Geezer. :p

Okay, this is an interesting question but I'm not sure it belongs in a Tyreke-veteran pairing thread. The problem is, I can't think of where else it should belong, if it should have its own thread, etc.

Any suggestions?
My post was in response to Tyreke over-dribbling etc. - that as a guard sometimes guys missing open shots that you create can make you try to do more things on your own out of frustration.

Cstorm: If you're getting hacked and stuff I don't mind, but in the NBA that would normally be called a foul. I'm referring to stuff like weak flips by JT, Spencer, Noc ... when they could easily dunk the ball or at least go straight up kinda thing when they're fairly open