Ty Lawson Starting

is he a better long term option than Collison in your books, and would it help the team more this year for him to get an extended starting look?

There are arguments against it like Lawson's WCS connection and his shooting around Cousins, but I think having his energy on the floor for 30+ might be more beneficial as opposed to Collison

Ty meshes really really well with the 2nd unit and has helped WCS finally emerge out of the ashes. He's also the only other one that can create for others apart from Cousins, which is an invaluable trait. Who in the 2nd unit could do it? No one. We all know Collison can't create for anyone, which isn't as big a problem in the starting line up because we have Cousins out there. Put Collison in the 2nd unit and our bench wouldn't be nearly as effective.

What we need is a real starting PG. You hit the nail on the head with the PG problem, it's just that I don't agree with your solution. It would make our bench significantly weaker. The issue is we don't have a quality starting PG. We need to get one. The bench is playing fantastic and I don't want to mess with that. Our roster has no depth and we don't have enough talent. That's our problem.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Ty Lawson is a point guard, Collison is an undersize SG that holds the ball too long trying to make plays. As of right now the only two players who can create for others on a consistent basis are DMC and Lawson with Temple out. Ty unfortunately would be awesome as a starter, but we would have absolutely no offense off the bench at all if he did.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Lawson's dynamism off the bench is the major argument against this. Otherwise I would say that the move would be to start both Lawson AND WCS together, so WCS gets that boost too.

Just can't be sure he'd be as punchy as a starter for us. Obviously formerly a long term starter, but was fairly drab early in the year, and his shooting woes would not help Cuz. Our bench actually works quite well, so I understand the reluctance to mess with it. But Vlade would need to provide a few answers via trade amongst the starters.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd welcome that but I don't see it happening unless DC gets traded, and even then, depending on the return...he will remain on the bench. Joerger doesn't want to mess with the bench mob at the moment because they usually get them back in the games if they do fall in a deficit.

The Kings might be looking to keep one of Collison or Lawson around beyond this year so we need to be certain which direction we want to go in.

I think he is better off the bench for this team and WCS's resurgence has in strong part been due to Lawson setting him up like Rondo did last season. If you start Lawson then you have to start WCS as well. Who knows maybe after the trade deadline we will see Lawson and WCS in the starting line up with Kosta and Darren possibly traded out.

Lawson's dynamism off the bench is the major argument against this. Otherwise I would say that the move would be to start both Lawson AND WCS together, so WCS gets that boost too.

Just can't be sure he'd be as punchy as a starter for us. Obviously formerly a long term starter, but was fairly drab early in the year, and his shooting woes would not help Cuz. Our bench actually works quite well, so I understand the reluctance to mess with it. But Vlade would need to provide a few answers via trade amongst the starters.
Yeah, on one hand I'd say, just start Lawson and WCS! On the other hand, Collison at least seems able to knock down the open looks that Cuz creates out of the double teams. Would Lawson?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I say no. He and Willie are forming a dynamic pick and roll duo off the bench, whereas Collison is much better for Cuz because he isn't looking to set up or drive every play. He plays off of Cousins and that's a much better fit there. Together they form a solid combo with each big.

G

glassman

Ty meshes with anyone. Once he got his full confidence back with his shot and flow he's been good under all circumstances.

Collision is a FA. He's a top tier back up at best.

Ty has found his former self again. We should trade Collision now and extend ty asap.

G

glassman

Lawson's contract cannot be extended, because it was only a one-year deal and only 4+ year deals are eligible for extension. We will have to compete for him in free agency.
I did actually know that. I meant re sign. Or keep him on the team please for the sack of all that is good don't let this PG go for nothing like the one that's gonna drop 40 on us tomorrow.

That's basically what I meant

I'd like to see Lawson and WCS starting after the all-star break to get a better eval of their roles after this season. And as much as I like Collison's shooting, I'd be willing to trade him for a future asset. Maybe package him with Ben. But with WCS starting, you'd need Kosta to be the rebounder/rim protector off the bench. Which means we'd be keeping Kosta for now.

Collison is still the same solid but flawed PG he was when he got here. Lawson isn't noticeably better than Collison, he just seems that way because he's something different.
If you start Lawson, people will start noticing his flaws (outside shooting) and start complaining again. We've seen this show before, folks.

They are a nice combo, a total package that is approaching average production (above avg backups, below avg starters). Lawson and Collison can zoom and go all-out while getting rest, and they both are better for it.

dude12

Hall of Famer
They are different but I think Lawson has been fairly good for a few months and DC has been good for about 2 weeks. When Dc doesn't hit shots, he's not very good while Lawson usually always gets his unit playing well. Boogie is the PG on the starting unit really, DC just hits shots but I hate his defense. His defense is way worse than Lawson. I'd rather have a Lawson and ? Rotation at Pg.