Trevor Ariza 2 years $25 mil

Looking at Jeff Green 2.5mil Wilson Chandler 2.6mil Ennis 2 year 4.1mil this contact is looking horrible.
None of those players have nearly as much potential as Ariza even if he is getting longer in the tooth. Green nor chandler ever played defense. Ennis can’t really do much of either . For arguments sake if Ariza returns to what he was at the end of his career in Houston we will be over the moon with his price tag. Playing for dysfunctional franchises doesn’t do wonder for your motivation. I am expecting a very solid vet who can give you 15-25 quality minutes on a regular basis.

Nor would he have come here. Lest we forget when he was using the kings as leverage and they figured it out and pulled the offer and he got all indignant.
Or this hilarious prank. Screw him
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.go...dre-iguodala-pranks-steve-kerr-in-free-agency
And then the last time the joke was on them because Vlade got some sweet revenge and forced them to overpay. It comes full circle when they dumped Iggy like a lead weight because of that deal, hahaha!

Looking at Jeff Green 2.5mil Wilson Chandler 2.6mil Ennis 2 year 4.1mil this contact is looking horrible.
Ennis, for one, turned down more money elsewhere to stay with the Sixers. The Jazz and Net are verging on contender status. Unfortunately, nobody is lining up to give the Kings discounts at this stage.

Ennis, for one, turned down more money elsewhere to stay with the Sixers. The Jazz and Net are verging on contender status. Unfortunately, nobody is lining up to give the Kings discounts at this stage.
I would also question what difference it really makes at this point if we did overpay a little for Ariza (which I’m not sure we really did by much). It’s apparently only a partial guarantee for year two and seems like we filled out the rest of the roster just fine this offseason. Not sure who else we would have reasonably signed had we gotten Ariza for an amount people don’t think is an “overpay”. I’d imagine the team had a total budget for free agency and split it up to get the players they were targeting. I guess you could argue they could have thrown more money at Beverly but then that contract looks like a significant “overpay”. The market is what the market is.

I get Afflalo flashbacks, but hopefully I'm wrong. I do hope they add another minimum piece at SF as insurance, or at least to compete with James.

The great thing about Ariza is that he plays defense and really never asks for the ball on offense. I think it's the perfect fit. On top of that, he is filling the Justin Jackson roster slot from last season. He is definitely better than Justin Jackson. It's a win.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I get Afflalo flashbacks, but hopefully I'm wrong. I do hope they add another minimum piece at SF as insurance, or at least to compete with James.
Afflalo was a starter? Ariza is just a bench guy. adding another SF to compete with James? So 4 SF's plus bogi that will get min there as well. Nah I think we are good. Again Ariza is not a starter

lol wut. Are you kidding? ;)

Seriously though, Jeff Green? I'd take Ariza over Green EVERYDAY for 20 million more. You don't want that guy next to all these young, hungry Kings. Wilson Chandler hasn't been healthy since the Melo trade.

Catanella and Vlade are taking agents to the shed with all this unguaranteed money.

They’re getting NBA players to agree to NFL style contracts.
Meh, they are over paying in the other years though. Ariza was not getting 12mm anywhere else. It’s more like I want a 14mm 2 year deal and Vlade over pays to get a tradeable asset that he can get off.

Meh, they are over paying in the other years though. Ariza was not getting 12mm anywhere else. It’s more like I want a 14mm 2 year deal and Vlade over pays to get a tradeable asset that he can get off.
Which makes sense if you're just trying to fill the bench/role player spots. Even if we didn't overpay on these guys how much would that really leave us with and who could we have gotten? Maybe an extra 12mm at most? Still not getting us a star or helping us more with our depth. Flexibility for the future is more important, and if these guys do work out for us then we're fine with the existing contracts

Seems odd to use those contracts as none of those guys are on Ariza’s level, even if we’re pretending Ariza’s 26 game Phoenix was the tell all for a long career it was still better than them. You should question why a guy who has averaged double figures just about every season of his career is only getting 2.5. I think the Kings are probably the only team Jeff Green hasn’t played for. He’s been consistently unreliable on both ends of the floor throughout his career outside of a boom game here and there. He doesn’t make anybody better. We’d be complaining about him half of every week.

Wilson Chandler has really struggled the last couple of seasons and I think is probably on his way out of the league.

Ennis is a rung below those guys.

Ariza is a floor spacer, defender, and don’t forget that he’s an excellent passer. He fits. The amount isn’t significantly higher than what Ariza would’ve eventually ended up agreeing to elsewhere(assuming he didn’t ring chase) and it’s very short term and non crippling anyway.

People still look at those figures like Ariza and Joseph got like it’s the max or how we would’ve looked at about 5-6 years ago. What Ariza signed to is basically the new mid level type figure and he’s still in that ballpark. If it’s more than what others offered, that’s the story of almost every signed contract In the NBA.

The mid level rotation player doesn’t come for 6-8 per anymore unless they’re doing favors or they are young with unproven upside like Hezonja or Stanley Johnson. They aren’t guaranteed rotation guys but they still make 3/4 of this supposedly obscene contract of a proven role player who still has plenty left in the tank for a 2 year partial guarantee contract.

Last edited:
Seems odd to use those contracts as none of those guys are on Ariza’s level, even if we’re pretending Ariza’s 26 game Phoenix was the tell all for a long career it was still better than them. You should question why a guy who has averaged double figures just about every season of his career is only getting 2.5. I think the Kings are probably the only team Jeff Green hasn’t played for. He’s been consistently unreliable on both ends of the floor throughout his career outside of a boom game here and there. He doesn’t make anybody better. We’d be complaining about him half of every week.

Wilson Chandler has really struggled the last couple of seasons and I think is probably on his way out of the league.

Ennis is a rung below those guys.

Ariza is a floor spacer, defender, and don’t forget that he’s an excellent passer. He fits. The amount isn’t significantly higher than what Ariza would’ve eventually ended up agreeing to elsewhere(assuming he didn’t ring chase) and it’s very short term and non crippling anyway.

People still look at those figures like Ariza and Joseph got like it’s the max or how we would’ve looked at about 5-6 years ago. What Ariza signed to is basically the new mid level type figure and he’s still in that ballpark. If it’s more than what others offered, that’s the story of almost every signed contract In the NBA.

The mid level rotation player doesn’t come for 6-8 per anymore unless they’re doing favors or they are young with unproven upside like Hezonja or Stanley Johnson. They aren’t guaranteed rotation guys but they still make 3/4 of this supposedly obscene contract of a proven role player who still has plenty left in the tank for a 2 year partial guarantee contract.
That 34% shooting sure is floor spacing I guess other 1-2 season's hes been very mediocre shooter (actually below that) and his defense ain't what it use to be. He actually shot even worse in Washington @32% than he did with the Suns. You need athletic explosviness on the wing and other than Barnes (also not atheltically as good as before..good enough but) we don't still have a single explosive swing man who can match up with with any of the decent SF's in the NBA. It was a huge waste of money in the end, I didn't mind the Corey Joseph overpay on the other hand he's in his prime and has helped Toronto/Indiana recently.

Also Ariza is not a excellent passer at all, his passing is probably below his shooting, I hsve never seen myself in a game or heard anyone call his even a decent passer in his entire career.

Last edited:
That 34% shooting sure is floor spacing I guess other 1-2 season's hes been very mediocre shooter (actually below that) and his defense ain't what it use to be. He actually shot even worse in Washington @32% than he did with the Suns. You need athletic explosviness on the wing and other than Barnes (also not atheltically as good as before..good enough but) we don't still have a single explosive swing man who can match up with with any of the decent SF's in the NBA. It was a huge waste of money in the end, I didn't mind the Corey Joseph overpay on the other hand he's in his prime and has helped Toronto/Indiana recently.

Also Ariza is not a excellent passer at all, his passing is probably below his shooting, I hsve never seen myself in a game or heard anyone call his even a decent passer in his entire career.
Trevor Ariza will be the best backup SF the Kings have had in a long while. Why the salty attitude?

Well yeah, mid 30’s is floor spacing at the rate he shoots them through his career. Anything over 40 for somebody who averages 6-7 attempts is very exceptional. Mid 40’s is Steph and Klay territory. I won’t begrudge him for not being that good and he’s certainly not being paid like somebody who shoots them that well. Ariza is good and his teams have looked upon him for the last decade to jack up open threes and play defense. I meant he’s a excellent passer in the team concept. As in, he’ll pass. Just what we’ll need In a fast paced system that hopefully has some space. keeps the ball moving or he takes a good shot. He’s not a black hole. What I meant was It was not out of the ordinary to see him finish with a few assists without dominating any possessions. As for his defense not being what it once was, well he’s not getting paid or projected to have the same role like he once was either, so what? He’s still a strong defender who can still compete as well as most other threes defensively on that end.

If the Kings were replacing say, a departing Harrison Barnes with Trevor Ariza I would see your point. However, you’re not going to sell me on Trevor Ariza being a poor option as the backup small forward and I simply don’t view his contract as anything but a mid level type contract. You were putting him in the Tyler Ennis territory so even if my opinion of him is too high, yours is unrealistically too low.

Last edited:
Well yeah, mid 30’s is floor spacing at the rate he shoots them through his career. Anything over 40 for somebody who averages 6-7 attempts is very exceptional. Mid 40’s is Steph and Klay territory. I won’t begrudge him for not being that good and he’s certainly not being paid like somebody who shoots them that well. Ariza is good and his teams have looked upon him for the last decade to jack up open threes and play defense. I meant he’s a excellent passer in the team concept. As in, he’ll pass. Just what we’ll need In a fast paced system that hopefully has some space. keeps the ball moving or he takes a good shot. He’s not a black hole. What I meant was It was not out of the ordinary to see him finish with a few assists without dominating any possessions. As for his defense not being what it once was, well he’s not getting paid or projected to have the same role like he once was either, so what? He’s still a strong defender who can still compete as well as most other threes defensively on that end.

If the Kings were replacing say, a departing Harrison Barnes with Trevor Ariza I would see your point. However, you’re not going to sell me on Trevor Ariza being a poor option as the backup small forward and I simply don’t view his contract as anything but a mid level type contract. You were putting him in the Tyler Ennis territory so even if my opinion of him is too high, yours is unrealistically too low.
Fair, but why overspend on a back up declining SF even guys like Reggie Bullock (currently seems to have healthy issues), Marcus Morris (is a SF not a PF like his brother) were both starting level players (Morris in particular)and they got paid less (Morris seems to have backed out), I rather would have offered that money to JayMchal Green who shot 40% from 3 and provides better D (even as a PF) than Ariza both on the wing and interior only took like a 2/10million (yes to potential play for a ring but I'm sure Ariza money would have got some interest)dollar deal.

I could understand the Dedmon/CoJo overpays because they still have juice left and help the team but the Ariza one just boggles the mind

edit: Kelly Obure Jr got 2/30mil..............

Ariza was on $15m last year and he put up a 15/6/4 season. He was not signing anywhere for 2 year $14m and was getting more than that. He is especially taking less from us per year. If he doesn’t work out its practically 1 year $14.3m deal. Hardly a disaster that others are making it out to be.

Our small forwards before Barnes just weren’t cutting it and our backup small forwards were either not really true small forwards or marginally OK. So we had a chance to pick up a decent player who actually has been a starter for a backup roll I’d say that is a win.

Yeah some his stats lately are really not impressive but coming off the bench with a reduced roll I am hoping he uses his experience to help stabilize our second unit and add a offensive punch when needed.