Trevor Ariza 2 years $25 mil

Zbo and hill were old starters. I don’t remember much excitement. Ariza was a stater just last year getting 14 pts 6 reb and shooting 52% and plays good defense. As a backup he might be the best we could have gotten for what we want and contract length
The ages weren't too much different than who the Kings just signed.

https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/zach-randolph-signs-with-kings.67713/

It's an interesting read to see who was saying what about the deal at the time. I will say, these signings are much better timed and positioned than then.

Honestly, renounce WCS and drop $48 over 4yrs at Beverly's feet and call it a post season. That gives great depth and solid shooting at every position (2 deep). Almost all the players would be interchangeable with each other to yield countless looks/lineups. The ariza signing is a slight overpay but a welcome surprise on a short deal. The shooting in the starting lineup will be rediculous if all players continue to keep this pace.

Swipa/Beverly
Buddy/Bogie
Barnes/Ariza
Bagley/Bjeli
Dedmon/Giles

The rest you fill out with minimums and two way contracts. Although i would love to keep koufas on a short deal as deep bench for big bruisers but i guess we will be keeping swannigan for now.

If they play with similar pace to last year then this is structured like a playoff team. They would be better than spurs, clips (if they dont land kawhi), golden state and Utah as currently structured and be competitive with Portland and Houston and lakers (unless they land kawhi)

Oh, I didn't realize you were the hall monitor around here. It's called an opinion and having one doesn't mean you aren't a fan. The Ariza deal makes some sense and if it's true that it's not a full 2 year deal then it's an easy out should it not work. Like I said in another thread. Defense at PG and SF will move the needle but I still think caution would have been wise considering the Kings last attempts at filling out the roster. I can still recall the excitement over Zbo and Hill. The Kings are certainly better positioned now than then to make these types of moves but realism and history should factor in at some point.
Zbo and Hill signings were straight garbage the second they happened. The team was in a situation where they clearly wasnt going to be competetive and cap space should've been used to gain assets. I can remember that there was clear excitement in here about those signings and obviously the signings were bad and the consensus here was wrong but but the team is in different situation now and Ariza isnt comparable with Zbo. Zbo was horrible when he played and Ariza can still hit threes and defend these bigger wings. Ariza can contribute and brings something we lack and something thats valuable

You liking the moves so far? Think these appear to be some smart, solid signings and I’m very pleased with the contract details. Curious what the backup PG plan is

They're decent and he's finally moved onto fit it appears. I still think if you look back at the totality of Vlades GM career his best summer ever was the one he was more reserved (after maxing Lavine mind you) and held onto some space to make a deal with.

Zbo and Hill signings were straight garbage the second they happened. The team was in a situation where they clearly wasnt going to be competetive and cap space should've been used to gain assets. I can remember that there was clear excitement in here about those signings and obviously the signings were bad and the consensus here was wrong but but the team is in different situation now and Ariza isnt comparable with Zbo. Zbo was horrible when he played and Ariza can still hit threes and defend these bigger wings. Ariza can contribute and brings something we lack and something thats valuable
True. I think Vlade learned a lot from then, but having some wiggle room even now might not hurt.

A tragic fate.
It was sealed with the Cousins trade. He was done before then but that was officially his out.

Since then Cousins has bounced from NOP to GS and now somewhere else I'm sure.

Meanwhile the Kings have reloaded under Vlade and procured Fox, Bagley, Giles, Buddy as their core and just missed out on the playoffs for the first time in over a decade. All of this in 2 years time.

That's pretty impressive. If Winsome Bricklayer Gerbil was coming back here for a triumphant return, he would already be here on the strength of Bagley over Doncic alone.

Not a big fan of this signing when you see someone like Aminu go for 3 years $29 mil. Aminu is better and younger than Ariza. Would have been a way better target on our side.

I’ll wait on the guaranteed amount for next year. The consolation is that it could only be for 1 year and give us some space next offseason to work with.

Could be a potentially good piece to dangle at the trade deadline for a contender. He could return a decent asset for the future.

Not a big fan of this signing when you see someone like Aminu go for 3 years $29 mil. Aminu is better and younger than Ariza. Would have been a way better target on our side.

I’ll wait on the guaranteed amount for next year. The consolation is that it could only be for 1 year and give us some space next offseason to work with.

Could be a potentially good piece to dangle at the trade deadline for a contender. He could return a decent asset for the future.
Aminu has a player option for year 3
Ariza has a partial guarantee for year 2

Aminu can play the wing but 80% of his mins last uear were at the 4.

I'd be happy with either Joseph or Beverly. A good backup pg makes sense. The Kings would have a very well rounded roster at that point.

Those two names have an entirely different impact level to me. Beverley is a game changer on defense. Joseph is a solid all around player. I hope Vlade takes a page out of his own book again where he sits back and sees how things are going to shake out first. I still think if some more western teams that were already in the playoff picture continue to take steps forward he needs to put himself in a position to change gears if the time came to do so. He still could have some space left and the question mark of that long ago traded first is off his back.

Aminu has a player option for year 3
Ariza has a partial guarantee for year 2

Aminu can play the wing but 80% of his mins last uear were at the 4.
We’ll either have Hield or Bogdan who will swing up to play SF and we would have had Aminu swing between SF & PF with Barnes logging 28-34 mpg at SF already.

I see absolutely no position issue with Aminu on this team vs. Ariza.

Honestly, renounce WCS and drop $48 over 4yrs at Beverly's feet and call it a post season. That gives great depth and solid shooting at every position (2 deep). Almost all the players would be interchangeable with each other to yield countless looks/lineups. The ariza signing is a slight overpay but a welcome surprise on a short deal. The shooting in the starting lineup will be rediculous if all players continue to keep this pace.

Swipa/Beverly
Buddy/Bogie
Barnes/Ariza
Bagley/Bjeli
Dedmon/Giles

The rest you fill out with minimums and two way contracts. Although i would love to keep koufas on a short deal as deep bench for big bruisers but i guess we will be keeping swannigan for now.

If they play with similar pace to last year then this is structured like a playoff team. They would be better than spurs, clips (if they dont land kawhi), golden state and Utah as currently structured and be competitive with Portland and Houston and lakers (unless they land kawhi)
Absolutely agree on all points. But some recent articles are saying that Beverly doesn't want back-up minutes. So he may not be interested in us, even if we overpay.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Those two names have an entirely different impact level to me. Beverley is a game changer on defense. Joseph is a solid all around player. I hope Vlade takes a page out of his own book again where he sits back and sees how things are going to shake out first. I still think if some more western teams that were already in the playoff picture continue to take steps forward he needs to put himself in a position to change gears if the time came to do so. He still could have some space left and the question mark of that long ago traded first is off his back.
I don't think Vlade takes too long to take stock. He struck quickly to avoid competing with some other teams (e.g. Clipps and Lakers) who are waiting on Leonard. If he really wants Beverly, he'll force him to make a decision pronto, rather than waiting until Leonard makes up his mind. I wonder if Vlade is trying to work something out in a WCS trade before he gets his point guard.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this signing reminds me of when the Kings signed Matt Barnes. I question how much Ariza has left in the tank, he's been in the league forever it seems and he's still getting deals, crazy.

this signing reminds me of when the Kings signed Matt Barnes. I question how much Ariza has left in the tank, he's been in the league forever it seems and he's still getting deals, crazy.
Kind of, and I still think Matt was a good fit at the time. Ariza has a better resume though. He's also younger but he's definitely got some mileage on him.