Trading the pick.

Yeah, there were moments where he just started to be a pest and it worked well. I think Fox needs to do some of the same things and getting some more offensive talent around him should do wonders and allow him more leeway to attack ball handlers.
I'm hopeful Brown can implement this into the team's defense. You can't play around in the lane against the Warriors without a myriad of hands swiping at the ball.

Will be a breath of fresh air compared to the usual "help" defense that the Kings provide that usually wind up with the help never actually getting into position to help, but always out of position to leave his man wide open for a corner 3.

They do have some decent defenders, Harkless, Davion, Holiday, Holmes, etc. This goes beyond ability. They have to be careful with Mitchell though. Him being what he is physically comes with advantages and disadvantages. Bigger guards are going to shoot right over the top of him if they try and use him on the other teams best scorer in a traditional defense. We saw Booker do it with ease. Mitchell will have to play a little like Muggsy Bogues did, get inside and attack their every move. As a 6th man he can afford to to that.
Let's get a defensive 2/3 then like D. Vassell.

If we trade the pick, how about Collins, Jalen Johnson and 16 for Barnes, filler and #4

Sabonis Dame
Collins Lyles
FA wing Johnson
DDV TD
Fox Mitchell

If we trade the pick, how about Collins, Jalen Johnson and 16 for Barnes, filler and #4

Sabonis Dame
Collins Lyles
FA wing Johnson
DDV TD
Fox Mitchell
Oh heck no. Trading the one semi-legit semi-wing on the team for a 210 pound PF and albeit a decent prospect but one the Hawks sandbagged to the bench. 16 is too far down IMO. Not to mention that pretty much nips the Kings max space next summer in the process.

Oh heck no. Trading the one semi-legit semi-wing on the team for a 210 pound PF and albeit a decent prospect but one the Hawks sandbagged to the bench. Not to mention that pretty much nips the Kings max space next summer in the process.
I think Collins can be the number 2 scorer on our team and he can stretch the floor. Johnson gives us a replacement for a guy we might not be able to sign or want to sign after this season. I like Barnes but I wonder what he will command on the open market.

I don’t see us trading up to be honest. If anything, I could see us trading the pick for a proven veteran (Collins maybe) and/or trade back.

Someone like Murray fits this team really well but I think wetrade the pick for a veteran.

The cost of trading up a couple of spots is too great. There is no value for monry there.

I think Collins is an interesting idea worth discussing more. He puts up 20 and 10 when he gets the minutes. Shot essentially 40% on his 3-pointers in his age 22 and 23 seasons. Took a step back this year as a 24 year old, but so did the the Hawks as a whole. His age fits the core, and there may be more untapped potential there. If it would be possible to keep Barnes, too--something like 4 plus our Holmes plus expiring contracts (Holiday and Harkless)--maybe there's something there. Or maybe you include Barnes but get another piece or two back plus Atlanta's pick.

If you can land on the right value, I think he's the exact type of player the Kings would be interested in: a young but proven vet at a position of need.

Does anyone think that OKC would do a pick swap
SAC: Gets #2
OKC: Get #4, #37, #48 and Richaun Holmes

We pick Holmgren or Smith (whoever is available).

In FA we resign Jones and DDV (i believe we have his Bird rights, but moving holmes and taking no salary back will free 10M as well) and using some to all of the MLE, go for Portis>Chris Boucher>Markief Morris>Jeff Green (the latter as insurance policies off the bench, especially if the rookie takes some time coming along.

Fox/Mitchell
DDV/TD/Holiday
Barnes/Smith Jr./Holiday/Harkless
PF-FA (listed above)/Smith Jr./Metu (can switch smith Jr to starter if FA is Morris or Green)
Sabonis/Jones/Len

I would also try to move Len and Harkless or TD for Cody Martin in a S/T and try to sign Hartenstein.
Yeah, don't think so. Only thing that would entice Presti I think is a future unprotected 2023 FRP. Consensus seems to be there's like 5 guys in next years draft who would go #1 this year, including Wembanyama, who has been heralded as one of the best prospects ever.

I think Collins is an interesting idea worth discussing more. He puts up 20 and 10 when he gets the minutes. Shot essentially 40% on his 3-pointers in his age 22 and 23 seasons. Took a step back this year as a 24 year old, but so did the the Hawks as a whole. His age fits the core, and there may be more untapped potential there. If it would be possible to keep Barnes, too--something like 4 plus our Holmes plus expiring contracts (Holiday and Harkless)--maybe there's something there. Or maybe you include Barnes but get another piece or two back plus Atlanta's pick.

If you can land on the right value, I think he's the exact type of player the Kings would be interested in: a young but proven vet at a position of need.
Collins would fit offensively like a glove on this team.

Collins defensively would be one of the worst pairings with Sabonis that I can think of.

I think I'd rather roll the dice with Murray than go after a guy who would most likely ensure that the Kings had some of the worst interior defense in the league.

Collins defensively would be one of the worst pairings with Sabonis that I can think of.

I think I'd rather roll the dice with Murray than go after a guy who would most likely ensure that the Kings had some of the worst interior defense in the league.
If the Kings are going for Collins, they might as well go after Ben Simmons. #4 should be able to get Simmons. Then just surround the Simmons, Domas, Fox, and Davion core with shooters. That's two connectors on offense and defense. The Kings would win 50 games next year. It's such a no brainer, it'll never happen. Lolzzz.

Yeah, don't think so. Only thing that would entice Presti I think is a future unprotected 2023 FRP. Consensus seems to be there's like 5 guys in next years draft who would go #1 this year, including Wembanyama, who has been heralded as one of the best prospects ever.
I'd do unprotected 2024 but only for Smith. I think the gap in talent from 2-4 isn't worth more than that with what's coming next year and our needs to make the playoffs while Sabonis is under contract. It also gives them license to make a "less safe" pick, which I think they are cool with given that Presti is still hunting not just a star but a top 5 level talent. That's not in this draft.

I think we can build a playoff team with Murray. I don't really give a rats behind about a full tear down and rebuild after 16 years, we need to just get into the top 6 of the West for ~5-6 years and call it a day. Maybe give folks the impression we are a well run franchise and people will want to come here like Miller and a few others did in the golden years. Presti has that luxury, but I will also say his "genius" only extends so far as to them winning a championship. It didn't happen with Durant, Harden and Westbrook so he has a ton of work to do I'd say.

If the Kings are going for Collins, they might as well go after Ben Simmons. #4 should be able to get Simmons. Then just surround the Simmons, Domas, Fox, and Davion core with shooters. That's two connectors on offense and defense. The Kings would win 50 games next year. It's such a no brainer, it'll never happen. Lolzzz.
The thought did cross my mind. The back injury is scary, though, and I’d guess the Nets would prefer
roll the dice with Simmons than with a rookie. Their management may have an even stronger win-now mandate than the Kings. But you never know.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
The thought did cross my mind. The back injury is scary, though, and I’d guess the Nets would prefer
roll the dice with Simmons than with a rookie. Their management may have an even stronger win-now mandate than the Kings. But you never know.
I wouldn't offer anything more than a 2nd round pick for Simmons until he shows he can play again and play well - it's all a big gamble. Who knows if he ever gets back to playing solid minutes on a regular basis? He's got both mental and physical health issues keeping him off the floor right now.

For his sake, I hope he can and gets back to where he was a few years ago. I just don't know that it's going to happen....

That's fair. I haven't watched Murray at all and didn't catch the Hawks much this year, to be honest, so I can't compare. The Hawks podcaster that was on with Matt George last week suggested that Collins's defense was underrated, and thought the pairing with Sabonis could work, but he admitted it would not be ideal defensively.

Depends on the tag, but in general I agree. If we could spin Barnes+lotto protected FRP? Or contracts+top 10 protected pick? I think I'd bite. But unless more is coming back with him, 4 just can't be on the table.

Are you thinking the Kings could sign a better free agent than John Collins? They're going to be trying to win, so it's not like they'll be renting cap space for bad contracts and picks.
I think they can also potentially make a deal with a team looking for space and get a good player on the cheap a la Barnes. What it does is give the Kings options, including a quick and efficient rebuild should it not work.

Good that the Clippers guy who I can't seem to see any Kings articles in his author page on the Athletic seems to think we should trade the pick, does he also have a mediocre Clippers player he thinks we should be trading for?

Mentions Collins again in the article.

I just don't see it. The Collins offensive fit is perfect, he's really good and has the ability imo to pop as a fringe-all star type. But he's struggled with some injuries throughout his career and he's now really expensive. I see a ton of paths where Keegan Murray gets to John Collins on offense with actual defensive upside. And he doesn't cost you the rookie contract and Barnes.

Mentions Collins again in the article.

I just don't see it. The Collins offensive fit is perfect, he's really good and has the ability imo to pop as a fringe-all star type. But he's struggled with some injuries throughout his career and he's now really expensive. I see a ton of paths where Keegan Murray gets to John Collins on offense with actual defensive upside. And he doesn't cost you the rookie contract and Barnes.
Keegan Murray + Barnes + max space to play with >>> Collins. Not even close.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Speculation on trading the pick. Nobody knows except Monte and maybe the teams they might move the pick to. If they trade, it had better be a high level starter/borderline all-star

Personally, i love barnes on this team. The only way id be willing to package his is a star player. Players like John Collins wont cut it.
Your going to have to lower your expectations on that return. He would help a ton of teams right now though, imagine Barnes between Brown and Tatum for example. I would trade Barnes for Collins in a second.

One scenario that is interesting to me based on the Wizards reported interest in Brogdon:

1 - draft Ivey
2 - if Murray or someone the Kings really like is there at 6:

4 goes to Indiana + salary filler.

Brogdon goes to the Wizards

6 + Kuzma or Hachimura to Kings (or both if Holmes goes to Washington.

Something like that. But I’m still on the fence - I think Ivey can be a star - and he and Fox playing off of Sabonis could be nasty fun.

One scenario that is interesting to me based on the Wizards reported interest in Brogdon:

1 - draft Ivey
2 - if Murray or someone the Kings really like is there at 6:

4 goes to Indiana + salary filler.

Brogdon goes to the Wizards

6 + Kuzma or Hachimura to Kings (or both if Holmes goes to Washington.

Something like that. But I’m still on the fence - I think Ivey can be a star - and he and Fox playing off of Sabonis could be nasty fun.
Can we finally stop with the KK trade rumors?! Dude is light years away from the type of player the KINGS need, especially if defense is going to be a focus of the new staff.

Last edited: