Trading the pick.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Saw a tweet that Washington is interested in the pick at 4….forgot who sent it but it was a local guy iirc

Guys I like or at least could be involved are Rui, Deni A, Kuzma and their pick
And then of course there is Bradley Beal who would look great in purple

Deni plays some good D
Kuzma was part of the Hield deal that got torpedoed by Lamebron when he wanted Westbrook. Maybe Monte likes him

Maybe this is more smokescreen

Saw a tweet that Washington is interested in the pick at 4….forgot who sent it but it was a local guy iirc

Guys I like or at least could be involved are Rui, Deni A, Kuzma and their pick
And then of course there is Bradley Beal who would look great in purple

Deni plays some good D
Kuzma was part of the Hield deal that got torpedoed by Lamebron when he wanted Westbrook. Maybe Monte likes him

Maybe this is more smokescreen
Deni is about to breakout. Elite defense, advanced playmaking and the shot is not far off. Dude just looks like he wants to win all the time he’s on the court. I do 10 Deni Kuzma all day. Gives us more flexibility to deal Barnes also.

Your going to have to lower your expectations on that return. He would help a ton of teams right now though, imagine Barnes between Brown and Tatum for example. I would trade Barnes for Collins in a second.
A expiring wing-ish PF for a production PF is a step in the wrong direction.

Deni is about to breakout. Elite defense, advanced playmaking and the shot is not far off. Dude just looks like he wants to win all the time he’s on the court. I do 10 Deni Kuzma all day. Gives us more flexibility to deal Barnes also.
I like Avdija but he simply hasn't produced enough even if he's got the potential to do so to highlight a package to move up this far.

Yeah, this is pretty close. I'm super high on Deni too, he started showing some really high level wing creation last year. Kuzma really surprised me too, would honestly say he had a breakout after being left for dead after the Lakers deal. Extremely good on the defensive glass, showed some real playmaking chops from the 4 slot.

And if we map out the draft; Chet-Jabari-Paolo-Ivey-Keegan-Daniels I think are pretty clear locks to go somewhere in the top 9. That leaves Griffin, Mathurin, Sochan, Sharpe, Davis, Eason as your likely player pool at 10. Kings could go from having 1 wing to 4 in a hurry.

I probably still pass though. As much as I like Deni and Kuz, both guys seem a little light to move all the way up to 4 in terms of our compensation.

Yeah, this is pretty close. I'm super high on Deni too, he started showing some really high level wing creation last year. Kuzma really surprised me too, would honestly say he had a breakout after being left for dead after the Lakers deal. Extremely good on the defensive glass, showed some real playmaking chops from the 4 slot.

And if we map out the draft; Chet-Jabari-Paolo-Ivey-Keegan-Daniels I think are pretty clear locks to go somewhere in the top 9. That leaves Griffin, Mathurin, Sochan, Sharpe, Davis, Eason as your likely player pool at 10. Kings could go from having 1 wing to 4 in a hurry.

I probably still pass though. As much as I like Deni and Kuz, both guys seem a little light to move all the way up to 4 in terms of our compensation.
With any of these types of trades it'll be contingent on who is available at that pick. If the top 3 goes as expected then I think the Kings take Ivey and listen to trade offers. I don't really like the Washington idea either, but if somebody falls to 10 that is high on the Kings board (maybe Sharpe or Daniels) then you consider it. Otherwise you hold on to Ivey and likely trade he or Fox down the road.

Personally, I hope the rumor that OKC loves Ivey is true and the Kings can swap #4 for #2 at the price of a lightly proected 2023 or 2024 FRP. I'd rather have Holmgren than any of the trade down deals I've heard proposed so far.

With any of these types of trades it'll be contingent on who is available at that pick. If the top 3 goes as expected then I think the Kings take Ivey and listen to trade offers. I don't really like the Washington idea either, but if somebody falls to 10 that is high on the Kings board (maybe Sharpe or Daniels) then you consider it. Otherwise you hold on to Ivey and likely trade he or Fox down the road.

Personally, I hope the rumor that OKC loves Ivey is true and the Kings can swap #4 for #2 at the price of a lightly proected 2023 or 2024 FRP. I'd rather have Holmgren than any of the trade down deals I've heard proposed so far.
Yeah, the interesting thing there is HOU all but confirmed they're not taking Ivey, so OKC can feel confident in trading down to 4 and him still being there at 4.

My guess is to get up to 2 is going to cost an unprotected 2023 1st and just bet on us being the typical Kings and getting more shots at a much stronger 2023 class top 5. As risky as that is, I think I'd rather ship the 2023 first and just be done with the protections. Next season is as good as any as we've had in forever to actually be good, especially with Chet or Jabari on board.

I like Avdija but he simply hasn't produced enough even if he's got the potential to do so to highlight a package to move up this far.
Deni is barely a year older than Jaden Ivey and younger than Keegan Murray. If he was in this years draft I take him at 4 every time. I may be off on his projection but I think he is about to explode next year. His defense passing and IQ are all WAY more advanced than Ivey and that is at the forward spot. He is strong where the Kings are weak.

Deni is barely a year older than Jaden Ivey and younger than Keegan Murray. If he was in this years draft I take him at 4 every time. I may be off on his projection but I think he is about to explode next year. His defense passing and IQ are all WAY more advanced than Ivey and that is at the forward spot. He is strong where the Kings are weak.
He could, but my point is he hasn't yet, and that's the kind of package you trade down for when the player has already done so. They'd have to add more in the form of picks at the very least.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
He could, but my point is he hasn't yet, and that's the kind of package you trade down for when the player has already done so. They'd have to add more in the form of picks at the very least.
They can't do much in terms of picks because they've hamstrung themselves with the Wall/Westbrook trade. They traded their FRP with protections out to 2026, so the first clear pick they have is 2028. We could try to work something out contingent on non-conveyance (pick swaps) or conveyance but it would be tricky, and hard to get a good feel for what the ultimate value of the package would be.

Trade a talent like Ivey and potential at max space for a package of 10 and Kuz and be glad Monte didn't get that extension, lol.
It’s hard to take people seriously when they believe nonsense trades like this are remotely worthwhile.

That said, it’s precisely the type of decision this org would make and has been making the past 16 years and why they continue to reside in the bottom 1/3 of the conference.

Deni Avdija is the only worthwhile player among those mentioned. Having said that, SacTownKid is spot on in that trading a #4 draft selection for an unproven isn’t the wisest decision. More would have to come back in return. And not middling players. Another prospect like Avdija or a future FRP.

Avdija was selected 9th in his draft and hasn’t accomplished anything yet to make that draft selection more valuable than it was when it was made. Devin Vassell, Tyrese Haliburton and Tyrese Maxey — who were in the same draft and selected after Avdija — have increased their value.

If you’re talking about surrendering #4 for a player that has increased value like those three players then it’d make more sense. And to be clear, I’m not suggesting a trade for any of those three players — just citing examples.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the Kings will do. But I will just go on record and say that Murray and Ivey both look like studs to me.
Historically, they’ll do the wrong thing.

But McNair at least provides a little hope. He’s done well with his previous 2 draft picks, so he’s got me believing he’ll make another solid draft decision. Unless he trades the pick. I’m far less confident in that scenario.

Your going to have to lower your expectations on that return. He would help a ton of teams right now though, imagine Barnes between Brown and Tatum for example. I would trade Barnes for Collins in a second.
I dont mean to imply that Barnes is better or more valuable than collins, but barnes plus the 4th certainly are more valuable than collins. For the Kings, any impact player is going to require the 4th pick. So for trade involving Barnes AND the 4th pick, the return needs return someone that will move the needle for Sacramento, despite barnes nor the 4th pick being around. Such players likely do not include OG anunoby, Collins, or Jeremi Grant. While they move the needle a great deal WITH barnes still on the team, without him here they are modest upgrades at best. Not 5-10 game difference makers. A player line Beal however could be and would be worth Barnes +4th and then some.