Trade for Jimmy Butler?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't want a guy who sells out his organization and teammates during an ESPN interview, all because he hasn't been traded yet and doesn't want to play with KAT or Wiggins. You're paid a lot of money to play basketball, not the other way around. The NBA has to take a stand against bullcrap like this. Players and agents simply shouldn't be allowed to own the league like this.

That being said, I would like the Kings to help facilitate a deal to send him to another team, but only if it benefits us. Otherwise, Butler can stay the heck away.
Well, you know what he could have done? He could have just kept his mouth shut, played out the year, and then walked away with the T-Wolves getting nothing out of the deal. Thats a fact! But instead, he let them know that he wasn't going to resign with them, and would therefore like to be traded in advance of his just walking for nothing. He said that he met with Tib's right after the season and conveyed that message to him privately.

Nothing happened during the summer, so he went public with the information that he wanted to be traded. So when Tib's blew up a trade that Riley thought was all but done, he let his frustration rise to the surface, and made it as clear as day to Tib's, that there was nothing he could do to convince him to stay. So if your management, what would you rather have, a player who just plays out his contract without saying anything, and then walks, or a player that gives you a heads up so you can possibly get something back in return?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, you know what he could have done? He could have just kept his mouth shut, played out the year, and then walked away with the T-Wolves getting nothing out of the deal. Thats a fact! But instead, he let them know that he wasn't going to resign with them, and would therefore like to be traded in advance of his just walking for nothing. He said that he met with Tib's right after the season and conveyed that message to him privately.

Nothing happened during the summer, so he went public with the information that he wanted to be traded. So when Tib's blew up a trade that Riley thought was all but done, he let his frustration rise to the surface, and made it as clear as day to Tib's, that there was nothing he could do to convince him to stay. So if your management, what would you rather have, a player who just plays out his contract without saying anything, and then walks, or a player that gives you a heads up so you can possibly get something back in return?
I'd rather have the guy who plays out his contract without feeling the need to turn his contract situation into a soap opera. Butler could have done a lot of things differently. He's nowhere near the first player to have conflicts with his team but I think it's getting pretty pathetic when he's inevitably gonna end up being a term to describe a certain type of player, as in "Yeah, the guy went all Jimmy Butler instead of just doing his job and letting his agent deal with the drama."

This year is about development and we are all going to be the laughingstock of the league when our pick is top 5 and we don’t get it. If we can give up WCS and some other player not likely part of our future to get butler then I’d be down. But I have a problem giving up Bogdan for a 1 year rental. Bogdan is important and seems to be a great guy for the team a hard worker who is liked by his teammates. I’m not giving him up just so we get a top 10 pick instead of a top 5 that goes to Boston.

The thing is though, that's not Butler's decision to make. No matter where he ends up his contract is going to run out after this season and he will be eligible for a significant pay increase. He notified the team of his wishes and they chose to not listen to them. That is their right as they are the ones paying him to play basketball. He doesn't want to play for them because he can't get along with a couple players? Any other job and his ass would have been fired before he finished his first sentence.

Players should absolutely have the right to let management know what they like and don't like. If a player wants a trade and the team chooses to do nothing, then it should be the end of it. His drama queen episode probably only extended his stay at Minnesota, as everyone will now be low-balling them. There should be limits is all I am saying.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd rather have the guy who plays out his contract without feeling the need to turn his contract situation into a soap opera. Butler could have done a lot of things differently. He's nowhere near the first player to have conflicts with his team but I think it's getting pretty pathetic when he's inevitably gonna end up being a term to describe a certain type of player, as in "Yeah, the guy went all Jimmy Butler instead of just doing his job and letting his agent deal with the drama."
Well after the fact, he admitted that he didn't handle the situation at practice the right way, but he did have a conversation with Tib's right after the season in private and let him know he wouldn't be resigning with the team. At that point, some of the responsibility has to be on Tib's. Plus Butler was getting mixed messages. Tib's was stalling and trying to convince him to stay, while the owner was giving orders to trade him. Personally, if I'm management, I would prefer to have a heads up, rather than be blindsided after the season and watch him walk away with nothing in return. Glad it's not the Kings problem.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The thing is though, that's not Butler's decision to make. No matter where he ends up his contract is going to run out after this season and he will be eligible for a significant pay increase. He notified the team of his wishes and they chose to not listen to them. That is their right as they are the ones paying him to play basketball. He doesn't want to play for them because he can't get along with a couple players? Any other job and his ass would have been fired before he finished his first sentence.

Players should absolutely have the right to let management know what they like and don't like. If a player wants a trade and the team chooses to do nothing, then it should be the end of it. His drama queen episode probably only extended his stay at Minnesota, as everyone will now be low-balling them. There should be limits is all I am saying.
Actually, your only half right. Tib's chose not to listen to him. The owner chose to trade him and gave Tib's orders to do so. Which sent a mixed message to Butler. Are you trading me or not? Look, the owner and Tib's could have sat down with Butler and said you what, were not going to trade you right now. But come the trade deadline, if it looks like were not going to make the playoffs, then we'll revisit this. But that's not what happened. The owner told Butler that they were going to honor his wish, and do their best to trade him. Unfortunately, Tib's wasn't listening.

Hey, I can see both sides of this. Butler is Butler, and his antics probably rubbed some people the wrong way. But I do think that Management could have handled the whole thing a lot better. Tib's started playing games, not only with Butler, but with other teams he was negotiating with. It's as if he thought he'd wake up one day the problem would be gone.

Actually, your only half right. Tib's chose not to listen to him. The owner chose to trade him and gave Tib's orders to do so. Which sent a mixed message to Butler. Are you trading me or not? Look, the owner and Tib's could have sat down with Butler and said you what, were not going to trade you right now. But come the trade deadline, if it looks like were not going to make the playoffs, then we'll revisit this. But that's not what happened. The owner told Butler that they were going to honor his wish, and do their best to trade him. Unfortunately, Tib's wasn't listening.

Hey, I can see both sides of this. Butler is Butler, and his antics probably rubbed some people the wrong way. But I do think that Management could have handled the whole thing a lot better. Tib's started playing games, not only with Butler, but with other teams he was negotiating with. It's as if he thought he'd wake up one day the problem would be gone.
Being Kings fans, we are all experts in management saying one thing and coach doing the other. The problem was the owner not Thibs. You can't publicly acknowledge your best player wanting to be traded and agreeing to do so, it devalues him and diminishes your returns. How do you increase value? By doing exactly what Thibs did, making him not available. Looks a whole lot sweeter if you can't have it, you know?

I don't believe for a second that Thibs is a big enough fool to keep him, but he's not going to parade him around the league looking for suitors. February is a long ways off, no need to rush things. If there was an issue, it's as you said, Butler did not receive good enough communication. He also has to realize that organizations act in their best interests, not his.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't want a guy who sells out his organization and teammates during an ESPN interview, all because he hasn't been traded yet and doesn't want to play with KAT or Wiggins. You're paid a lot of money to play basketball, not the other way around. The NBA has to take a stand against bullcrap like this. Players and agents simply shouldn't be allowed to own the league like this.

That being said, I would like the Kings to help facilitate a deal to send him to another team, but only if it benefits us. Otherwise, Butler can stay the heck away.
The problem is that last season Butler was repeatedly told that he would be financially taken care of by the T-Wolves, but they did nothing to fulfill their repeated promises. The con-game: Oh, Jimmy, we love you, and you can bank we'll pay you, so don't worry about the future, it's all taken care of; we appreciate you soooo much for playing your butt off and working with these young guys to make them winners. And then there is crickets when it comes to actually fulfilling their repeated promises. Usually, I back the organization instead of the player, but this time I'm totally on Butler's side.