(Trade Artest for a solid PF) and Let Cisco start

What do you guys think?

NOTE: The OP is actually more interested in discussing whether or not we think Cisco is ready to step up and start at the small forward position. - VF21

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Saying "trade Artest for a solid PF" may, unfortunately, turn out to be a lot easier than the actual deed itself.

This has pretty much been the idea behind all of the Artest trade talks. We have been pushing for a PF in return for Ron since day 1 of the offseason. Pretty much a no brainer
Well, you missed the whole point....

Actually I was more interested hearing your opinion if Cisco is ready to start.... Can he do it like Kmart did it on his 3rd year......???

Or will he be just a big disappointment this year.... (I just hope not)

I am sorry guys if I ask too much Q.... I wish I can watch SacKings games as often as you guys do......

I don't live in the US.

But I have always been a Kings' fan.

Since we're rebuilding I don't think we need to go after a PF. For me it's either the JO superstar type, or not at all. For the latter I think Justin Williams will do just fine, and although I'm not expecting a miracle I do believe that SAR will step up his numbers at least a teeny bit.

The only PF otu there that I actually like is Varejao. hes got a lot of energy and is agood offensive rebounder. Plus hes a legit PF and could team up with Justin Williams to really help solidify our front line.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, you missed the whole point....

Actually I was more interested hearing your opinion if Cisco is ready to start.... Can he do it like Kmart did it on his 3rd year......???

Or will he be just a big disappointment this year.... (I just hope not)

I am sorry guys if I ask too much Q.... I wish I can watch SacKings games as often as you guys do......

I don't live in the US.

But I have always been a Kings' fan.
Welcome to Kingsfans.com! We're always very happy to see fans from overseas posting.

As far as your question about Cisco goes, I'll try and answer it for you.

I think Cisco has a lot of potential. But, just like Jason Williams back when he also has some problems he really needs to work on. He's like the young labrador puppy who will do anything he can to please you, to the point of knocking over the furniture and destroying the china.

What I mean is that he has to learn a bit more control, primarily mentally. You cannot question his heart. He plays with hustle and conviction that I personally love to see. But he also plays right on the edge of being out of control. That's where, I think, a lot of his turnovers come from.

But having said all that, I would have no problems whatsoever with having Cisco start next season if Artest is traded. We're a team trying to rebuild and find a new identity. We're going to have to find out sooner or later if Cisco is going to be a part of the future of the team. Why not now? I sure think seeing him, Kevin, Spencer and Justin on the court, along with Bibby and/or whatever PG is brought in to spearhead the youth movement will be exciting if nothing else.

:)

I would rather package Artest and KT somehow for enders and 2nd round picks and start over. Im giving up for next season and looking for a lottery pick below 10.

Well with Artest gone, of course Cisco will start. I actually want to see him develop his game some more. I dont expect the team to be any better however, but its all good.

If we're seriously rebuilding I have no problem at all with letting Cisco start. We know he has the talent and the heart. Can he get his head straight enough and be consistent though? Thats my biggest question regarding Cisco.

Cisco can easily start and has better chemistry with Martin.

Plus his skills and size would suggest he will be useful for many years. (shooting and passing like a big PG that is)

piksi

Hall of Famer
Considering our situation - it is totally irrelevant who starts and who is ready. If Cisco isn't ready to start in this situation when it really doesn't matter - he will never be ready in any other situation.
As for "solid PF" - what is the definition of that expression. We have bunch of garbage and semi garbage covering the 4 & 5. All we need is another "body" taking away minutes from the rookie. Even if we don't play small and use somewhat normal rotation - some of the veterans won't play enough in their opinion. We don't need another Mo Taylor. We need to get rid of our flexible pieces first and foremost. So far - no luck.

I think Garcia is ready to start. Sure he isnt fully polished, but the more he plays the more he gets better and comfortable and he showed that at the end of last year when he was getting some consistent playing time. He has great length and good defense and he can score, I definitely would like to see him get the starting job if we do trade Artest.

One thing I'm curious about is how Theus will use Cisco, since Theus said Musselman didn't use him properly. Having said that, I agree with VF. Now is the time to find out what Cisco can do. He can prove he's a worthy starter, a solid bencher or just can't get his game under control and make smarter decisions.

I love Cisco's heart and am hoping this is his year, though.

Last edited:
Whoops, I forgot to read the fine print. I think Cisco can start but he needs playing time and developed, one plus is that he's young and can be molded into a versatile SF.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Haha, I wouldn't mind seeing Artest traded for Emeka Okafor but I know that's highly unlikely!
If that trade doesnt work out Petrie can always fall back on Artest to Orlando for Howard :p

Anyways...As far as Cisco being ready to start: definately! He put together a good string of games to end the season, and I think if he were given consistent starter minutes he'd put up something like 14/6.5/4/1/1.

My starting five:

Bibby
Martin
Hawes
Lee
Garcia

Williams, Salmons, Miller, Douby off the bench

Could be an 8 seed in the west if the kids grow up fast IMHO, that is, if we can deal Artest for Lee.

piksi

Hall of Famer
My starting five:

Bibby
Martin
Hawes
Lee
Garcia

Williams, Salmons, Miller, Douby off the bench

Could be an 8 seed in the west if the kids grow up fast IMHO, that is, if we can deal Artest for Lee.
No thanks !

I prefer the worst record and the top 3 draft pick

There were way too many years of being the doormat of the conference for me to ever wish for another horrendous season... no matter what. I want to see these guys win ASAP.

Lottery = sucking

One year of sucking is all I want to see.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Then in all seriousness, I recommend you cover your eyes if you equate sucking with losing.

I think we'll have a team that's a lot more fun to watch if the kids get to play, but they aren't gonna win a lot of games right away. And that's good. We're a team that's rebuilding. Embrace it and prepare for a couple of years of not making the playoffs. And, when you take a peek at the Western Conference, that's probably a good thing. There are a lot of really horrendously strong teams out there right now - and I'd just as soon not have to see the Kings flushed out of the playoffs by any of them.

There were way too many years of being the doormat of the conference for me to ever wish for another horrendous season... no matter what. I want to see these guys win ASAP.

Lottery = sucking

One year of sucking is all I want to see.
8th seed = worse than sucking

Lottery = chance at a bright future with a smart GM

8th seed is not at all worse than sucking. If we have a good season despite being expected to be a low lottery team then it looks attractive to players from other teams who are FA's. If we lose Artest and Mike's contracts after this year that would be around 22 million in cap space to persue free agents.

Free agents want to come to teams that can compete. If we give off the appearence of being an up and coming team by getting into the playoffs with this roster then we will appear a lot more attractive to free agents and could maybe even land a big time player like an Elton Brand.

For an example of what I'm talking about look at the recent talks between the Warriors and Wolves about Kevin Garnett and compare them with trade talks between the Celtics and Wolves. Garnett didn't want to go to a team that he new had no chance of competing for a championship, so he was able to prevent a trade from happening with the Celtics. Golden State, despite not being that great of a team, still has a chance to land a big name player in a trade because of what they accomplished this season and in the playoffs. They would also be a strong contender in the free agent market if they had cap space.

So we shouldn't just attempt to tank the season in hopes that we get a good draft pick. We need to instead focus on rebuilding through trades and free agency if at all possible, and winning improves our ability to construct a good team through those means.

edit: What should be avoided though, is a season like this last one. We are honestly in the worst possible position to improve our team right now. Due to losing, our players have lowered values which makes trade more difficult. And we won just enough games to not have a good draft pick that could help us significantly in the next season. It also makes it more difficult for us to steal free agents away.

Last edited:
i'm ready for cisco to start. and i won't have a problem not winning many games, as long as it was fun, exciting basketball...with the hope of getting better.

because overall, i'd have to say my favorite years weren't when we were elite...but those few years getting there.

i don't know why but i really want to see salmons start at sf, i think he can be a josh howard type of player, in that position salmons has decent speed, ok defense, ok offense, good ball handling & passing skills could be interesting.