Top Ten NBA Guys worth Applauding

Thought this was interesting. As you can see Brad made the list (yay!) he totally deserves it (sweetheart!) What do you guys think of the rest of the list? There's also a Top ten Bad Guys list that I'll post as well. :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Top 10 Guys Who Are Worth Applauding
By STEVE ASCHBURNER, AOL

1. Grant Hill

This one's easy, a nice guy whose career was waylaid by serious ankle and foot injuries. The playoffs might not be in the Orlando Magic's picture, so Hill's start on All-Star Sunday goes into the scrapbook for now.

2. Shaquille O'Neal

"Nobody roots for Goliath,'' someone once said of Wilt Chamberlain. But O'Neal gets on the list because, more than any other superstar in any sport, he is the anti-Bonds: He invites the fans in to share in the fun. Some big guys withdraw, some big guys go soft to compensate, but Shaq chose to go comical. And it works.

3. Allen Iverson

Five years ago, Iverson alienated too many fans and had to rely on his anti-hero fan base. Now even traditionalists have been won over by his guts and his growing maturity.

4. Kevin Garnett

Only sticklers choose to focus on the things this Minnesota Timberwolves forward does not do well. But the swirl of changing teammates around him, the absence of any true All-Star sidekick and Garnett's obvious effort and emotions over 10 years will make another short (or non-existent) playoff run a little sad.

5. Brad Miller

In a league of bling-bling and spinning rims, this guy is mud flaps and fishing poles. There is an artlessness to the Sacramento big man's game, too, that draws in the commoners.

6. Dikembe Mutombo

His achingly mechanical movements, his raspy voice, his shaky birth certificate (age-wise) and, most of all, his charity work and humanitarian projects back in Africa make him way more than another "Cribs'' guy.

7. Jerry Sloan

The Utah coach has won 917 games, five division titles and gone to the Finals twice, without ever winning a Coach of the Year award. Detroit's Larry Brown talks about having his team's play the right way, but Sloan embodies it, demanding more - and getting more - from players in the NBA's least glamorous market.

8. Paul Silas

Fired by the Clippers, fired by the Hornets and now, a man whose drive and heart is unsurpassed in this league gets the privilege of coaching and mentoring the game's brightest young talent. Good things come to those who wait.

9. Jerry West

Come on, admit it: The phrase "NBA champion Memphis Grizzlies'' sounds weird and probably is a long shot. But West is so respected, as a Hall of Fame player and as an executive, that it would be a great sunset move to win one more title.

10. Seattle SuperSonics

Everyone figured they were a flash in the pan, certain to fade after a month or so like they did last season. But they haven't and this generally likable bunch has a coach in Nate McMillan who - wonder of wonders - hasn't required a contract extension to fend off lame-duck charges and get his message across.

Steve Aschburner covers the NBA and the Timberwolves for the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20050302214609990021

03/02/05 20:46 EST

Last edited:
This list is much better...just drop the Sonics off it...add one more deserving guy to be on the list..and its an exceptable list

Ofcourse I'M happy to see Brad on the list...especially considering he kinda gets lost with all the glitz and glamour the other guys give off...i really like the "In a league of bling-bling and spinning rims, this guy is mud flaps and fishing poles." line..hehe

Some people five years ago would of laughed at the thought of Allen Iverson on a list where people were applauding him...but everyone would have to admit...this guy has a HUGE heart and he as matured QUITE NICELY

iheartBrad said:
This list is much better...just drop the Sonics off it...add one more deserving guy to be on the list..and its an exceptable list
:)

Why do you think we don't deserve to be there? At the beginning of the season we were ranked even below Bobcats. We have a lot of free agents at the end of the year. Our star player cannot get a contract. Our probable COY cannot get a contract, but still, contrary to many players in NBA, these guys show what it means to be a team. Also, can you say that we are being favored by NBA, by the refs? Did we do anything more than come out and beat the teams? Do I smell some jealousy here? :)

Well, it is your decision at the end of the day, so it is all right. I just wanted to bring another point of view.

^im not saying that you guys haven't had a great season...cuz you guys have had a GREAT season...far above everyone's expectations...i just don't like the idea of putting an entire team on the list...thats all

if it were a list stating the top ten NBA teams worth applauding thats one thing...but since it says GUYS i have a hard time putting an entire team on that list...if anything he could of put one guy off that team on the list who was worthy of applauding...and it would represent the entire team

trust me im not jealous of the Seattle Supersonics...i did NOT say anything about being favored by the refs...perhaps thats just you feeling guilty cuz you truly believe that but i don't

;)
iheartBrad said:
i did NOT say anything about being favored by the refs...perhaps thats just you feeling guilty cuz you truly believe that but i don't
Nice diversion, but I am too old to fall into that :)

My question was, why do you think we don't deserve to be there, which you did not explain in your first post, but in the second one you say that the list should hold individuals rather than teams, because its title says so, which I can understand.

By the way, I can tell you that a team is made of "guys" which tells that the list may still hold, but that's totally a linguistic discussion and I believe just because of being fans rather than linguists (actually I am one, but on a different language) we may not be able to agree on that. You may say it says Top ten, I'll say it just says top ten, not actually only ten guys. I am already tired. :)

Being a fan.... there is no logic in it. That's probably why I am one. ;)

Why are we applauding Mutombo again? I'm applauding his pending retirement so he can both give to his people in Africa and go into nightclubs shouting, "Who wanna sex Mutombo?!"

kevin garnett?? uh NO. anyone who decks a rookie in pracitce gets no love from me. the guy is a thug.

the sonics I DON'T THINK SO. not with that GOON danny fortsen. and ray allen kinda annoys me with all that trash he was talking about kobe early in the year.

Evenstar said:
and ray allen kinda annoys me with all that trash he was talking about kobe early in the year.
LOL! Evenstar, I never knew! Could you splain a little more why that bugged you? Thx.

Evenstar said:
kevin garnett?? uh NO. anyone who decks a rookie in pracitce gets no love from me. the guy is a thug.

the sonics I DON'T THINK SO. not with that GOON danny fortsen. and ray allen kinda annoys me with all that trash he was talking about kobe early in the year.
KG didnt deck anyone...That was some sad bs that media made up.

Mad D said:
:eek: :LOL:!!!!
I didn't make that up, btw. Jayson Williams told of this incident, he was there at the nightclub with Mutombo. He yelled out in return, "No one wants to have sex with you, freak!" or something to that effect.

Gargamel said:
LOL! Evenstar, I never knew! Could you splain a little more why that bugged you? Thx.
i know, odd isn't it. it's becuase it's ray allen. i can't stand him either. he shouldn't be talking down to someone who has 3 rings i guess.

i still hate kobe.

F

Fillmoe

when did the whole seattle sonics team become a "guy"? that done make any sense to me. LOL