Top 20 Players in the NBA

IGN: Top 20 Players in the NBA

http://sports.ign.com/articles/703/703785p2.html

Ron Artest ranked 11.

Top 20 Players in the NBA
Kobe. LeBron. Nash. Duncan. Who is number one?
by Jon Robinson

April 28, 2006 - "That's why he's one of the best players in the NBA."

It seems like every time I turn on a game these days, I hear those words. And with the MVP race more wide open this year than maybe ever before, it got me thinking: Who is the best player in the NBA?

I started with five players, then wanted to break down the top ten. But only arranging the top ten players seemed to leave out talking about some of my favorites, guys I don't think get enough recognition.

That's when the list moved to 20.

The qualifications are broader than what you'd find for the MVP race. Sure, being most valuable to your team is part of it, but it also takes into account everything from skills to impact to clutch performances.

So here it is, one man's take on the top 20 players in the NBA…

20. Chris Paul

[SIZE=-2]Photos courtesy of NBAE/Getty Images[/SIZE]

The Stats:
#1 in the NBA in Steals (175)
#5 in the NBA in Assists (611)
#15 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes: (28.31)

The Breakdown
The best pure point guard to hit the Association in years, the Atlanta Hawks are going to be kicking themselves for decades for passing on Paul. CP3 is the type of player who makes everyone on his team better, and already has that edge about him the great ones possess.

19. Andrei Kirilenko

The Stats
#1 in the NBA in Blocks (220)
#2 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game (3.19)

The Breakdown
One of the most overlooked and underrated players in the NBA, it took word of his wife's "allowance" for people to start focusing on AK-47, but for the wrong reasons. When playing Chauncey Billups at NBA Ballers, I asked him who he would want on his team for a 2-on-2 game. His answer? Andrei Kirilenko. I think that says it all in terms of the respect Kirilenko gets from his peers.

18. Shawn Marion

The Stats
#3 in the NBA in Rebounds (959)
#3 in the NBA in Steals (160)
#10 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage (0.525)
#13 in the NBA in Points (1769)
#15 in the NBA in Points Per Game (21.8)

The Breakdown
When Amare went down, the Suns needed someone to step up and play big inside. They needed someone to pickup the slack on the boards. Enter The Matrix. Shawn Marion not only boarded his *** off, he almost led the NBA in rebounds from an unnatural position. His defense and rebounding help ignite the best offense in the NBA, and when he's not finishing the break above the rim, he's somehow knocking down threes with the ugliest looking shot in the league.

Last edited:
....contd

17. Jason Kidd

The Stats
#4 in the NBA in Assists (672)
#5 in the NBA in Steals (150)
#5 in the NBA in Assists Per Game (8.4)
#18 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game (6.2)

The Breakdown
Dunked on me in high school, but I won't hold that against him. There's little wonder how Vince Carter's career has boomed with Kidd running the show, and Kenyon Martin finds himself suspended, arguing about playing time without him. The type of up-tempo, unselfish point guard every aspiring number one should emulate.

16. Gilbert Arenas

The Stats
#1 in the NBA in Minutes Played (3384)
#2 in the NBA in Steals (161)
#4 in the NBA in Points Per Game (29.3)
#7 in the NBA in Field Goals Made (746)

The Breakdown
Even when the Warriors get things right, they seem to get them wrong. Gilbert Arenas, drafted in the second round by Golden State, bounced to Washington when the Warriors weren't smart enough to lock him up for the future (must've been saving their money for Dunleavy!), and has now established himself as one of the top guards in the league. Cutthroat at the end of games, there aren't many players better at closing out an opponent at the buzzer. He wants the ball at the end of the game. He wants the game to be decided by how he performs under pressure. And that's just the type of superstar you build your team around.

15. Allen Iverson

The Stats
#1 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts (829)
#2 in the NBA in Points Per Game (33.0)
#3 in the NBA in Field Goals Made (815)
#7 in the NBA in Steals Per Game (1.94)
#9 in the NBA in Assists (532)

The Breakdown
The toughest little man to ever play in the NBA, I don't think I've ever seen a player take the type of pounding A.I. does year after year and keep coming back for more. Fearless. Explosive. Relentless. Why the 76ers flirt with trading him every year I'll never know. He is the franchise.

14. Tracy McGrady

The Stats
Only played in 47 games due to injury.
Points Per Game: 24.4
Rebounds Per Game: 6.5
Assists Per Game: 4.8

The Breakdown
A tough player to rank because of his frequent injuries. When healthy, you can move him up the list and into the top ten, maybe top five, but there always seems to be something keeping T-Mac and the Rockets down. Can score with the best of them, and from anywhere on the court. If McGrady and Yao can ever get healthy at the same time, and stay that way for a full season, watch out for the Rockets.

....contd

13. Chauncey Billups

The Stats
#1 in the NBA in Assists Per Turnover (4.11)
#2 in the NBA in Assists (699)
#4 in the NBA in Assists Per Game (8.6)
#5 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goals Made (184)

The Breakdown
Mr. Big Shot. Smooth. Those are just two of the nicknames for the man who is the best player on the best team in basketball. A strong point guard who can breakdown defenders in the paint one play, stick a three pointer the next, it's amazing a player of this caliber can bounce from team to team before finding this kind of success. If the Pistons win it all again this season, Billups will go down as one of the top guards in playoff history.

12. Carmelo Anthony

The Stats
#4 in the NBA in Field Goals Made (756)
#5 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts (1572)
#7 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts (709)
#8 in the NBA in Points Per Game (26.5)

The Breakdown
Hit more game-winning shots than anyone in the NBA this season, and seems to play his best with everything on the line. A true small forward in an age of tweeners, Melo has established the Nuggets as one of the top teams out West, and he's only going to get better. Will forever be known as the player drafted after Darko.

11. Ron Artest

The Stats
#4 in the NBA in Steals Per 48 Minutes (2.65)
#10 in the NBA in Minutes Per Game (39.4)
#11 in the NBA in Steals Per Turnover (0.93)
#18 in the NBA in Steals (122)

The Breakdown
This is the pick I'll probably get the most flack for, but it's also one of the ones I feel strongest about. The Kings were downright pathetic before Artest arrived, and he helped…forget that, he single-handedly turned them into a playoff team. Forget the elbows, the fight in the stands, the broken cameras, and his R&B group for a second and focus on his skills on the court. He's the best defender in the game today, and his presence and court awareness completely change the way you play against his team. Looks like he was a gamble worth taking for the brothers from Vegas.

10. Shaquille O'Neal

The Stats
#1 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage (0.6)
#15 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game (1.76)

The Breakdown
One of the most dominant big men to ever step foot on the hardwood, Shaq has been slowed by injuries the last couple of years, but still makes his overwhelming size and presence felt in the paint. Could you imagine the ratings a Lakers/Heat championship would earn? Not going to happen this year, and time is running out on Shaq, but the thought of Kobe and Shaq staring each other down for the title sends chills down my spine.

....contd

9. Paul Pierce

The Stats
#5 in the NBA in Free Throws (627)
#6 in the NBA in Points Per Game (26.8)
#7 in the NBA in Points (2116)
#17 in the NBA in Minutes Played (3084)

The Breakdown
You wonder why they call the Celtics a one-man team? How about their superstar Pierce leading the green in everything from points and rebounds to assists. Seems to have found his passion for the game again, and with that, has elevated himself into elite status amongst his peers.

8. Dwyane Wade

The Stats
#1 in the NBA in Free Throws Per 48 Minutes (10.44)
#5 in the NBA in Points Per Game (27.2)
#6 in the NBA in Steals Per Game (1.95)
#9 in the NBA in Field Goals Made (699)
#10 in the NBA in Assists Per Game (6.7)

The Breakdown
The number five pick in a draft that could become known as the class that propels the NBA back to greatness. So good at so many different aspects of the game, Wade could easily be number one on this list in a few years. Seems to make a play ever game that makes your jaw drop and your TiVo rewind all at the same time.

7. Elton Brand

The Stats
#3 in the NBA in Blocks (201)
#6 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game (10.0)
#6 in the NBA in Total Rebounds (790)
#7 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage (0.527)
#9 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds (236)
#11 in the NBA in Points (1953)
#11 in the NBA in Points Per Game (24.7)

The Breakdown
The Clippers are contenders. Did you ever think you would hear those words on a day other than April 1st? And if you're looking for a reason for the Clippers success, look no further than the beast down in the paint, Elton Brand. Brand is in better shape than ever before, and worked on his game so much in the offseason, the already great player is now truly an unstoppable force. Clippers/Lakers in the second round…sounds like the match-up the Clippers have been waiting for in order to show the world exactly who is the best team in L.A.

6. Dirk Nowitzki

The Stats
#5 in the NBA in Points (2151)
#6 in the NBA in Field Goals Made (751)
#6 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds (613)
#7 in the NBA in Points Per Game (26.6)
#14 in the NBA in Total Rebounds (728)
#15 in the NBA in Minutes Played (3089)

The Breakdown
The leader of the Mavericks, Dirk put up a career high in points per game while helping lead Dallas to one of the best records in the NBA. Impossible to guard, the seven footer has handles, an outside shot, and the ability to win games with the ball in his hands and time ticking down to zero. Poor Milwaukee. Talk about getting screwed in a trade. They dumped Dirk for Tractor Traylor.

5. Kevin Garnett

The Stats
#1 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game (9.9)
#2 in the NBA in Total Rebounds (966)
#8 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage (0.526)
#15 in the NBA in Points Per Game (21.8)

The Breakdown
How could a player this good miss the playoffs two years in a row? You'll have to ask his teammates about that one as KG had another outstanding statistical year, even if the rest of his group in Minnesota struggled. The best thing for The Big Ticket right now might just be a ticket out of town. It's a shame to see some of Garnett's prime go to waste while the Timberwolves fumble around and try to figure out how to assemble a team around him. Letting Sam Cassell go was just the latest in a series of missteps.

....contd

4. Tim Duncan

The Stats
#4 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds (650)
#5 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game (11.0)
#7 in the NBA in Blocks (162)
#10 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds (231)
#12 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game (2.03)

The Breakdown
Duncan suffered a tough year battling injuries, but is still the anchor of the defending champs, and the Spurs looked poised to once again make a run at the title thanks to his consistent play at both ends of the floor. You can't ask much more from a four than to D-up, rebound, block shots, and hit those banks. Never flashy, always efficient, and still has plenty of fingers that need rings.

3. Steve Nash

The Stats
#1 in the NBA in Assists Per Game (10.5)
#1 in the NBA in Assists (826)
#6 in the NBA in Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage (0.439)
#10 in the NBA in Assists Per Turnover (2.99)

The Breakdown
The Suns lose Joe Johnson, Amare, and Quentin Richardson and still win 54 games. The reigning MVP, Nash helped turn the Mavericks franchise around, and now leads a Suns team that is one of the most exciting in the league. Can break down defenses with passes or his own shots, but usually looks to set his teammates up before looking for his own points. Makes everyone on his team better, and that's the ultimate compliment.

....contd

2. LeBron James

The Stats
#2 in the NBA in Points (2478)
#2 in the NBA in Minutes Per Game (42.5)
#2 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts (1823)
#3 in the NBA in Points Per Game (31.4)
#6 in the NBA in Free Throws (601)
#10 in the NBA in Assists (521)
#15 in the NBA in Steals Per Game (1.56)
#19 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds (481)

The Breakdown
Imagine what kind of damage he would be doing in college right now. It's scary to think of LeBron's potential. He's better than Jordan was at this age…how much better will he get? When LeBron drives to the basket, he's like a runaway train, and he's so strong, I've seen him get hacked by multiple defenders while in the air, and still get the ball in the hole for the "and one". Scored a triple double in his first playoff appearance, and it won't be his last. Coming out of high school, I wondered if the kid could live up to the hype. Now I'm not sure if he was underrated.

1. Kobe Bryant

The Stats
#1 in the NBA in Points Per Game (35.4)
#1 in the NBA in Points (2832)
#2 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts (819)
#3 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goal Attempts (518)
#5 in the NBA in Minutes Played (3277)
#6 in the NBA in Steals (147)
#9 in the NBA in Steals Per Game (1.84)

The Breakdown
81. It was the best game I've ever seen anyone play in my life. Save it on the TiVo, you might never see another game like it again. But it goes beyond the scoring for Kobe, as he's also one of the most intense defenders in the NBA. Mirrored his game after MJ, turnaround J and all, and now that he has what he wants, a team to call his own, he not only has them in the playoffs, but they're giving the favorite Suns a run for their money. Call him selfish. Call him a ball hog. But you also have to call him the best player in the game today.

this list is pretty right on point. im glad they went with kobe #1 as opposed to lbj. im glad to see chris paul on the list- the guy is a special player

I think its good as is with Kobe being #1 because the lakers would NOT be in the playoffs without Kobe. LOL to kingsgurl87, he wears them all the time... I don't know why.. maybe they make his game better or something? If you look at other players none of them wear the leggings. ahh... lol.

He didn't wear them for most of the season..pretty much only at the beginning...then a lot of others started wearing them also...including AI, LeBron and Wade. Personally, I think they're stupid looking, but at least he didn't wear white ones like Wade and AI!! :eek:

I'm sorry but Chris Paul is not the 20th best player in the NBA. Good player and could turn into one of the 20 best but he's not right now. Can't argue with Kobe being #1 but in my mind I think it's Lebron.....and he's only 21.

Bibby, top 20 in the NBA? over Kidd? No.

Kidd still consistantly flirts with a triple double everytime he sets foot on the hardwood and post knee surgery still plays defense better than Bibby.

JKidd was better than Mike this past season. Mike will be better next season though.

Why the hell is Chris Paul on the list? He's a VERY GOOD ROOKIE but he's not a top 20 player(neither is Mike).

Paul helped lead a team that lost it's 'allstars' center Maglore and Baron Davis to a 20+ more win season than they had the previous year, with a line up of 1000 year old PJ Brown at center (since Birdman, Chris Anderson smoked away his NBA season) and Bostan Nachbar and undersized Desmond Mason at the wings.

He's had a similar effect like Lebron in his first season with the Cavs.
Hornets:
18 win season pre Paul
38 win season with (of course giving some credit to David West who had a break out year)
Cavs:
17 win season pre James
35 win season with (of course giving some credit to Carlos Boozer who had a break out year)

He's already on track to be second all time in steals per game if he keeps his steals per game avg consistant. (ESPN.com, I know it's too early to gamble on something like that).

Can't wait to see him fully adjusted to the NBA game.

Last edited:
Mad D said:
Paul helped lead a team that lost it's 'allstars' center Maglore and Baron Davis to a 20+ more win season than they had the previous year, with a line up of 1000 year old PJ Brown at center (since Birdman, Chris Anderson smoked away his NBA season) and Bostan Nachbar and undersized Desmond Mason at the wings.

He's had a similar effect like Lebron in his first season with the Cavs.
Hornets:
18 win season pre Paul
38 win season with (of course giving some credit to David West who had a break out year)
Cavs:
17 win season pre James
35 win season with (of course giving some credit to Carlos Boozer who had a break out year)

He's already on track to be second all time in steals per game if he keeps his steals per game avg consistant.

Can't wait to see him fully adjusted to the NBA game.
Sorry but you can't compare all time stats after one year. Lebron is a special player and Paul may be one but it's to early to christen him John Stockton.

I think it is more like Top 20 players in the NBA for "THIS SEASON". But then it is a little bit strange because guys like Duncan or Shaq aren't doing that good this season.

Gary said:
I would take Jason Kidd off the list and replace him with Bibby.
Bibby over Jkidd? I have to disagree. Bibby could score more but in all other things you could not compare him to Kidd.

KingKong said:
17. Jason Kidd

The Stats
#4 in the NBA in Assists (672)
#5 in the NBA in Steals (150)
#5 in the NBA in Assists Per Game (8.4)
#18 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game (6.2)
He is everything Bibby is not.

kidd is ranked too low.

i'd rank him ahead of billups. billups might be the better shooter, but kidd is a way better all around player. he rebounds and dishes, not to mention plays better D then billups ( first NBA team in defense post microfracture! impressive!) i think he impacts his team more then billups does his.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Chris Bosh anyone?

The guys a 20/10 player, and he's not on the list...I guess thats what you get for being the star of the Toronto Raptors.

I think after this Detroit - Cleveland series no way to not elveate LeBron above Kobe. Can anyone imagine Kobe doing to the Pistons what LeBron is doing. Damn that guy is like a speeding house.

Where's the love for Jermaine O'neal?

A healthy JO deserves to be on that list much more than Chris Paul.

Besides that there's not much else to argue about.